General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting bike to IMTX Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-03 5:49 PM

User image

Utah
Subject: Getting bike to IMTX
I know that this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything in the search, so forgive me for posting it again.

Going to IMTX from Northern Utah and had planned on using Tribike Tansport to get my bike there. Unfortunately, they are only offering their Pack and Ship option from here. It is $400 and I would still be responsible for getting the bike disassembled and packed, then put back together once it came back to me. They would handle everything in between. I am lucky to be able to change a tire, so the aspect of taking it apart/putting it back together and getting it packed is somewhat daunting. I would have to pay my LBS $100 each way (to pack if for me then put it back together). That means $600 to get my bike to Houston. OUCH! What would you guys do in this situation? Not sure what my best options are. It might be worth the $$ not to have to worry about it down there, but if I take it on the plane with me, I then have to get it back together down there, and stress about it. Ideas please! Is it worth it to have TBT do it to avoid the hassle of carrying it with me on the plane and then taking it apart and putting it back together myself?

2015-01-03 5:58 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Getting bike to IMTX

How about paying your LBS the $100 to pack it but have them show you (and maybe someone travelling with you?) how to do it and then you can do it yourself in the future.  

It's a win-win.   You learn a lot about your bike and your future travel options become much bigger!

2015-01-03 6:00 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
X2 - knowing enough about your bike to break it down enough to put it in a box and reassemble it out of the box is very valuable. Both for travel and side of the road maintenance issues.

Shane
2015-01-03 6:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Dreaded double post.

Edited by gsmacleod 2015-01-03 6:01 PM
2015-01-03 6:09 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by KatieLimb I know that this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything in the search, so forgive me for posting it again. Going to IMTX from Northern Utah and had planned on using Tribike Tansport to get my bike there. Unfortunately, they are only offering their Pack and Ship option from here. It is $400 and I would still be responsible for getting the bike disassembled and packed, then put back together once it came back to me. They would handle everything in between. I am lucky to be able to change a tire, so the aspect of taking it apart/putting it back together and getting it packed is somewhat daunting. I would have to pay my LBS $100 each way (to pack if for me then put it back together). That means $600 to get my bike to Houston. OUCH! What would you guys do in this situation? Not sure what my best options are. It might be worth the $$ not to have to worry about it down there, but if I take it on the plane with me, I then have to get it back together down there, and stress about it. Ideas please! Is it worth it to have TBT do it to avoid the hassle of carrying it with me on the plane and then taking it apart and putting it back together myself?

Even with the options you stated......who will assemble it and re-pack it in Texas? Does TbT do that?

2015-01-03 6:31 PM
in reply to: #5079230

User image

Utah
Left Brain- if I went with TBT, they would assemble it and have it ready to race, then disassemble it, repack it and ship it back to me after the race. I would then have to get it back together.

2015-01-04 3:19 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Do you have a buddy who can help/teach you how to assemble/disassemble? 

Do you have your own bike case?

I found that getting the bike case in and out of the airport was not nearly as big of a deal as I anticipated - I traveled alone with a hard-sided, wheeled bike case (and a huge checked bag) and it was fine. I was able to hold one handle in each hand and wheel both large pieces behind me. My biggest fear was getting everything from the parking lot to the check-in terminal but my airport has a (free) park-and-ride shuttle. My driver was so helpful getting the bike box on and off the shuttle it was no issue at all, I just had to wheel the thing 10 feet inside the terminal doors once I was dropped off.

As for assembly/dis-assembly - I paid my bike shop $50 to disassemble and put into my bike box, and I was lucky enough to be meeting/staying with a friend who offered to help me assemble/disassemble on site. Is that an option? 

2015-01-04 3:55 PM
in reply to: #5079249

User image

Okay my $.02. Taking apart your bike to pack it is not a big deal actually. Between now and May you can learn it. And it does give one a bit of confidence to know these things.

However, putting it back together correctly is important before the race. I have hauled my bikes all over but when I took my bike to France for Ironman France I carried it in a box on the plane and reassembled it with my trusty travel tool. But I was a little edgy about my re-assembly job and went ahead and had the local bike shop check it before I rode it. They tightened everything and I felt much better about it. They didn't do it for free.

Also while it's all fun before the race after the race ... Disassembling and packing the bike is a bit of a hassle to be honest. It's just a state of mind but I spent 90 minutes packing my bike box that I would have rather spent buying overpriced finisher gear at the expo.

So, you'll probably spend close to $400 on it between airline fees and bike shop fees either way. TriBike Transport does a good job of making it easy on race day so it might be worth it for simplicity.
2015-01-04 10:04 PM
in reply to: #5079453

User image

Champion
MA
Taking apart your bike is quite easy. Here on BT there is a Viedo on how to do it and pack your bike. You take out your seatpost, unscrew 4 bolts on stem to take off handlebars, remove pedals, take off wheels, and I remove my rear derailuer but many don't. Bubblewrap, pipe insulation and bike box with tools. Your LBS is overcharging at $100 to do simple pack bike. Tx is long time off, learn how to pack your bike. If you have someone do it for you be sure they mark where they go back together. I put on small bits of duct tape and msrk with a sharpie. And understand how the makings go back together.
2015-01-05 7:10 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by KathyG Taking apart your bike is quite easy. Here on BT there is a Viedo on how to do it and pack your bike. You take out your seatpost, unscrew 4 bolts on stem to take off handlebars, remove pedals, take off wheels, and I remove my rear derailuer but many don't. Bubblewrap, pipe insulation and bike box with tools. Your LBS is overcharging at $100 to do simple pack bike. Tx is long time off, learn how to pack your bike. If you have someone do it for you be sure they mark where they go back together. I put on small bits of duct tape and msrk with a sharpie. And understand how the makings go back together.

That's an assumption (per the bolded parts) the individual has a standard stem & bar config and not an integrated, superbike bar & stem combo.  Someone unfamiliar with wrenching a bike is going to have a really hard time dealing with something like the Trek Speed Concept integrated front end.

2015-01-05 8:44 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Utah
I wish it was a super bike! It is just a Trek Lexa road bike with aero bars. I think I have found a friend that is willing to let me borrow their bike box, so I plan on learning how to do this between now and then. Just don't want to deal with the hassle, but with the time to figure it out, it may not be so bad.

2015-01-05 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

A standard road bike is rather easy to assemble and disassemble.  It's pretty much as KathyG noted.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting bike to IMTX Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

getting accustomed to new bike and bike shoes...

Started by runner0302
Views: 1014 Posts: 8

2011-09-12 6:51 AM mobey

finally getting my bike!!

Started by Live2Tri
Views: 986 Posts: 10

2004-08-27 12:54 PM satchmo72

getting a bike

Started by nighthawk
Views: 513 Posts: 3

2004-07-16 3:40 PM ODogg

Getting fitted for a bike

Started by Hogskin
Views: 947 Posts: 3

2004-04-09 11:00 PM Machiavelo

Getting a bike on a budget

Started by steven
Views: 1465 Posts: 13

2004-02-19 2:15 PM BUNCH99
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2012
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is there an 8-12 week plan to improve technique and strength on the bike, with some running in it as well?

date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?
date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.

date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.
date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?

date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
We take a tour through Colorado Premier Training's wind tunnel. Mark Cote explains how it works and how getting a wind tunnel bike fit can be one of your most important tools in getting faster.