General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ongoing hand/thumb pain from cycling - Drs. can't help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-03 9:30 PM

Subject: Ongoing hand/thumb pain from cycling - Drs. can't help
Hi, the pain started almost right after an Olympic triathlon in Sept 2014. 10 out of 10 pain grasping anything, daily tasks using hand. No specific event from the race or after. Went to see sports med doc within 5 days. X-rays negative. MRI x2, 2nd set showed swelling in the sheath of one tendon deep between/behind thumb and hand. Tried ibuprofen's, didn't help. Tried icing, doesn't help. Tried rest, helps a bit, slowly, but very hard to not use hand for day to day use. At the rate of its recovery, full recovery may be summer-winter 2015. Too slow.

Friend said to try an osteopath. Every heard of this injury? Any recommendations? Thanks.

(last year I raced in 3 Olympic and 2 sprint triathlons, took a break from 70.3 - was going to do 70.3s again in 2015 but not sure will be able to)

2015-01-04 8:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Ongoing hand/thumb pain from cycling - Drs. can't help
Originally posted by Stevescm

Hi, the pain started almost right after an Olympic triathlon in Sept 2014. 10 out of 10 pain grasping anything, daily tasks using hand. No specific event from the race or after. Went to see sports med doc within 5 days. X-rays negative. MRI x2, 2nd set showed swelling in the sheath of one tendon deep between/behind thumb and hand. Tried ibuprofen's, didn't help. Tried icing, doesn't help. Tried rest, helps a bit, slowly, but very hard to not use hand for day to day use. At the rate of its recovery, full recovery may be summer-winter 2015. Too slow.

Friend said to try an osteopath. Every heard of this injury? Any recommendations? Thanks.

(last year I raced in 3 Olympic and 2 sprint triathlons, took a break from 70.3 - was going to do 70.3s again in 2015 but not sure will be able to)

Since you got these tests done and nothing severe was shown, it sounds like an aggravated inflammation issue. It can simply be ergonomically oriented. I am not sure on exactly what side of your hand/wrist thumb joint area the specific issue is, but this area has been issue for some in weight training due to grip position during pushing exercises. I've been there. The thumb/wrist position while in the hoods during cycling can be an ergonomic issue t0o. It could have created an impingement of sorts. Get the inflammation down naturally through Turmeric/Ginger/Fish(oil). Consider acupuncture to accelerate recovery, and seriously consider some sort of physical therapy for the grip strength, thumb flexibility and both wrist flexion and extension. Much of which can be done at home. I'd pay close attention to specifics of how you use it (ergonomically speaking) - there are so many positions we put our wrists and thumbs in that a counterproductive: how we type, how we ride, how we exercise, how we use a compu mouse, how we hold bags, - the list goes on and on.
I've done much of this and have recovered from badly sprained thumb/wrist area with these methods. I suggested it all because your tests were pretty much negative except for that hint of inflammation

Hope you make progress

Edited by TJHammer 2015-01-04 8:58 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ongoing hand/thumb pain from cycling - Drs. can't help Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

numbness in hand during/after cycling

Started by mbasta
Views: 3279 Posts: 9

2010-10-03 8:06 PM MaesMama

New to Road Biking...Hand Pain

Started by TecGuy
Views: 2649 Posts: 2

2010-01-21 9:49 PM blairrob

Hand numbness from cycling...need advice!!

Started by Need4speeD
Views: 2632 Posts: 10

2009-08-26 5:55 PM deskjockeyjim

Thumb pains

Started by goran007
Views: 677 Posts: 2

2006-11-06 11:51 PM AdventureBear

Lower back pain, hand numbness

Started by caseready1
Views: 834 Posts: 2

2006-07-07 2:08 PM Tri-It
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.