BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-01-05 12:20 PM

User image

Subject: SBR "U"

SBR "U" (short for Utopia) is not so much a mentor group as it is an ongoing and OPEN discussion about all things related to swim, bike, and run.  EVERYONE IS WELCOME!  This group will never "close."  

Unlike other groups, we do not have a single mentor or mentors to guide other members.  It is basically a self moderated thread with the goal of allowing on topic discussions while cutting out all of the BS.  We avoid politics, religion, current events, gun control, or rant about the pool.  We are here to support each other and share our thoughts and opinions...not to force them down anyone's throat.

Other than staying on topic and being courteous, the only real rule that is non negotiable is that you provide your name to this thread.  This is not an anonymous thread.  If you post something, you should post it as if everyone knows exactly who you are.  We find that this is the one way to keep things respectful and allows for differences in opinion.  We are not participating in this group to win debates, nit pick other people's posts, or show how smart/fast you are.

If you are looking for more of a mentor type group relationship, we encourage you to join our discussion if you would like, but also join one of the other mentor groups available.  More than likely, your experience in this thread will be largely determined by what you put into it.  It may seem pretty fast moving, but as far as I remember, no question has ever been ignored.

With that...welcome to the "U"

2015-01-05 12:27 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Lets get this party started.

For those that don't know, my name is Jason as implied by my user name.  I live in Hawaii and after going through the full spectrum of triathlon racing, I have focused primarily on bike racing in 2014 and will continue to do so in 2015.  

2015-01-05 1:10 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Thanks for getting the ball rolling Jason.
My name is Rusty - I live in Atlanta mostly but shuttle back and forth between here and Alabama for work as a college professor and administrator, and am usually on the road to many other places beyond, so training consistently while traveling is always a challenge.
I am an age-up 49 years old and if I am doing the math right this will be my 26th year of multisport training and racing, and come from a bike racing background before that. A few years ago when I began slowing down I finally made a turn toward the Ironman distance. I figured "hey, if you can't go fast anymore why not see how long you can go slow?" After racing IM for 3 years consecutively I found myself really missing the type of training shorter distances require (and the much more frequent racing it affords) and returned to the sprint and olympic distances last year. I had a ball and felt like I was training and racing better than I had in a very long time. While I may return to long course racing in the next year or two, this year I will be solely sprint & olympic focused yet again.

I look forward to joining the group again, and would encourage anyone on the fence about jumping in to a mentor group to give us a whirl. What you will find here is a lot of very helpful, knowledgable and encouraging friends that are very goal-oriented. If you have goals and want to to meet them, I have found this group beyond the pale in both support, advice, accountability, and even direct honesty when we need it. And on occasion, we all can use a little of that.

2015-01-05 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hello Jason. I am Chris and as with past years I will be more "reader" than "poster".  This group has pushed me to improve my training methods in the past and if things go well this year, I hope to see the fruits of that work this summer.

2015-01-05 1:19 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Welcome back Chris - you don't ever have to post much, so long as you keep that Strava love coming!

2015-01-05 1:24 PM

User image

Happy 2015

Another Chris.   Age up 49 this year as well.   Started tris in 2004, progressed over 4 years to IM, took a couple years off, then came back in 2012.  2013 did my second IM, and it was as painful as the first.  Really trying to focus on running this offseason/2015 and staying uninjured.  Was able to run 1100 plus last year, looking to get another year like that.

2015 is still a mess.  Have a half marathon 2/1 and Escape from Alcatraz as my only registered races.  Other than that, nada.  Have a hotel room for IM Canada, just in case.  And will likely do Silverman as I can drive to it.  But no real long term, coordinated plan.

Although my running buddy and I decided to go back to Catalina and do the spring trail marathon in March.  4000 plus feet elevation.  It's almost like I forgot the pain and torture of the last one.....As before, her husband and my wife will spend the day relaxing and eating while we (well, mainly me, she will likely win her AG again) beat our heads against the wall

2015-01-05 1:28 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'm Arend, I live in Prince Edward Island, Canada (the land of wind and snow).  I grew up as a swimmer and as such, that is my forte.  I didn't start cycling or running until my mid 30s and I struggled mightily with the run for several years.  I was constantly hurting my knees and was terrified to do anything other than run at an easy pace.  After doing IMMT in 2012 I decided I needed to get my run sorted out so I hired a coach and he has done wonders for my training all around.   Bike power is way up and my running has come a long way (but still has a long way to go).  I still struggle with executing a good run off the bike in races but I think a lot of that is mental and it gets better each time.

I turn 40 in 9 days and fully expect to fall apart.   

2015-01-05 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
My Story: Hi, I am James and I am addicted to Triathlon. I did my first Triathlon in Korea 1983. Now at the age of 53 (Race Year) I am still at it

Family: I am married to a wonderful moose sweatshirt wearing wife named Stacy. We raised 3 fine young adults which are all gone and NO grand kids.

My profession: As an Aquatics Director and Personal Trainer it is simple pure enjoyment of a job. The only reason I call it a job is I pay taxes. I mean where else I can swim when ever I want, torture people for free and have all the time I need to train. Just don’t tell the Stacy she thinks I work real hard and that I am under a lot of stress.

Current Training: Bla, bla, bla, bla Bla…Come on! I Swim, I Bike and I Run. Oh, I am doing a 100 runs in 100 days challenge on ST. It’s a hoot and I am doing well. Current weekly SBR training is around 10-13hr a week. I am trying to keep my swim fitness up with only 2 swims a week. That is going well surprisingly. Actually I focus each workout on my Critical Swim Speed (CSS) and I even seam to be getting faster. The…..BIKE well last week was a let down because I did a triple run New Years Eve (Ohhhh Yeahhhhh…I am bad…) So the last month I have been torturing myself on the comp trainer with power intervals. Its not bad but I need a lot more umph to my bike. I did move up my bike focus a month and will start in January. Well one of those Hawaiian slow starts…..So next week. (No offence Jason) Oh yeah going to be using power this year. I don’t know how much of a difference it will make this coming Ironman. I mean with the learning curve and all. We will see…..and I wouldn’t be doing 300w for sure.

2015 Races: So far only registered for; 1 Olympic and 1 Ironman
2015-01-05 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Good to see you all. But where are the girls?

2015-01-05 2:27 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Originally posted by BrotherTri Good to see you all. But where are the girls?

Ahem...

2015-01-05 2:35 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by BrotherTriGood to see you all. But where are the girls?

My guess is they are all working real, productive jobs supporting their worthless, good-for-nothing SO's. You know, kinda like JT and Stacy are probably doing right now.

Originally posted by BrotherTriI mean where else I can swim when ever I want, torture people for free and have all the time I need to train. Just don’t tell the Stacy she thinks I work real hard and that I am under a lot of stress.

Yup, only two jobs that could possibly describe, either:

A) Aquatics Director or

B) College Professor

2015-01-05 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by BrotherTri

Good to see you all. But where are the girls?

If you guys would stop geeking it up maybe they would join

Name : Marc
Race focus : HIM and Olympic
Current training : Currently about 10hrs per week, will scale to 15 or so.
This year's race : 2 or 3 HIMs, ITU Worlds Olympic distance
Weightloss : yes, very much needed
Weather preference : less snow and cold

2015-01-05 2:43 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Chris love your new avatar. Looks like your running in some cold weather in Fl. What is it in the mid 60's?

2015-01-05 2:45 PM

User image

So how has everyone made it through the holidays weight wise?  I didn't fare so well.  It just seemed like there was another lunch, dinner, celebration, or box of donuts being thrown in front of me.  I also took some time off the bike between xmas and new years to let myself recharge a little.  Fitness definitely took a hit, but at the same time I also feel pretty fresh.

Time for a bit more structure into my riding...looking forward to getting back at it.

2015-01-05 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

So how has everyone made it through the holidays weight wise?  I didn't fare so well.  It just seemed like there was another lunch, dinner, celebration, or box of donuts being thrown in front of me.  I also took some time off the bike between xmas and new years to let myself recharge a little.  Fitness definitely took a hit, but at the same time I also feel pretty fresh.

Time for a bit more structure into my riding...looking forward to getting back at it.

I peaked in weight a bit before Christmas.
Fitness is actually pretty good. I put a solid bike block in Nov and Dec and my numbers are where they are normally in March/April, so that's good
My running volume is low, but I know my run is under control based on my pace/effort.
My swim is ok. I did a PB on the 400 mid Nov and while pool closures hurt the last two weeks I felt good in the pool today

I am more confident in this year's plan than I have ever been before.
2015-01-05 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Yeah I am still 180lbs. That will come off when the biking goes up but still should loose some before.

2015-01-05 3:07 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by Jason N

Well, according to Matt Fitgerald's "Racing Weight" book I didn't do so well either. He says an 8 percent increase over racing weight is ok, and might even be good for you ("racing" weight isn't "healthy" weight). Note that he also makes a distinction between true "racing weight" and simply "what you weighed during the last training season." This summer I raced right at 142lbs, which I pegged as my true "racing weight" (hard to believe that for YEARS I thought it was 156lbs!?!?!). I found I can easily maintain 144lbs for a coupe, of months, particularly in season, and 146~148 indefinitely, so long as I am diligent with what goes in my mouth. My plan was to not go over 150lbs during the holiday, but then I got sick for a week and then no training due to packing up the house (right in the middle of all the holiday parties) and BAM! 156lbs on New Year's Eve. MyFitnessPal is fired back up, and I am headed in the right direction. Funny how quickly you lose those first three or four "inflammation" pounds once you quit drinking calories....

2015-01-05 3:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Party at the U!

Ahem...  Name is Matt McManus.  Been back at tri's for a bit over 2 years, after 20+ years doing other stuff.  I think of myself as a runner>cyclist>swimmer, but my race results relative to the field seem to go in the opposite order.  Oh well! 

Just getting back in full training swing after a longish slow period (move, new job, etc. - although a recent injury I hope to keep a small one is mucking up my immediate plans!).  Have a couple races this year on the books, but am looking at what to add in - new part of the country, so trying to find some good local flavor.

Game on!

Matt

2015-01-05 3:31 PM

User image

Maybe get Ron to move this out of the staging area, it's hard to find unless you link thru the old thread.....???

2015-01-05 3:32 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by ChrisM

Maybe get Ron to move this out of the staging area, it's hard to find unless you link thru the old thread.....???

Agreed.....

2015-01-05 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

temporarily bookmark it in your browser.

2015-01-05 3:34 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Party at the U!

Ahem...  Name is Matt McManus.  Been back at tri's for a bit over 2 years, after 20+ years doing other stuff.  I think of myself as a runner>cyclist>swimmer, but my race results relative to the field seem to go in the opposite order.  Oh well! 

Just getting back in full training swing after a longish slow period (move, new job, etc. - although a recent injury I hope to keep a small one is mucking up my immediate plans!).  Have a couple races this year on the books, but am looking at what to add in - new part of the country, so trying to find some good local flavor.

Game on!

Matt

ut oh.... hear goes the neighbor hood. Those darn Texans.....it's all about BBQ and long horns.
2015-01-05 3:36 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Well, according to Matt Fitgerald's "Racing Weight" book I didn't do so well either. He says an 8 percent increase over racing weight is ok, and might even be good for you ("racing" weight isn't "healthy" weight). Note that he also makes a distinction between true "racing weight" and simply "what you weighed during the last training season." This summer I raced right at 142lbs, which I pegged as my true "racing weight" (hard to believe that for YEARS I thought it was 156lbs!?!?!). I found I can easily maintain 144lbs for a coupe, of months, particularly in season, and 146~148 indefinitely, so long as I am diligent with what goes in my mouth. My plan was to not go over 150lbs during the holiday, but then I got sick for a week and then no training due to packing up the house (right in the middle of all the holiday parties) and BAM! 156lbs on New Year's Eve. MyFitnessPal is fired back up, and I am headed in the right direction. Funny how quickly you lose those first three or four "inflammation" pounds once you quit drinking calories....

Damn, I was doing well with the first part of your post, then got to the bolded.....

I am about 3 pounds up from this time last year, but about 8 pounds up from two years ago when I was on a solid weight loss kick.  So I am in the ballpark, I have just not been consistent about making the right choices at the right time (ie. when putting cr@p in my mouth).  Being off work, as nice as it was, did not help with a lack of structure.  Currently sitting at just under 203.   Got down to 185 ish for IM Canada 2013 but think I felt better in the 190-95 range.  I tend to wear (hide) my weight well

I know I am a little pudgy when people start saying "you look good," rather than "dude, eat a burger or something...."

2015-01-05 3:40 PM

Master
, California

Name: Mark
Race focus: IM
Current training: Bike focus; starting some running rehab following a calf injury.
This year's races: Alcatraz, IM Barcelona
Weather preference: I didn't mind cold until Tahoe.  No more of that, thank you.

I've been a part of this group for awhile now.  I started triathlons in 2009, after "retiring" from my soccer days due to knee problems.  I prefer IM distance, finished my 7th last summer at Canada, and I try to race in at least one new venue each year.

I'm in the Seattle area, so for better or worse, winter season is mostly indoor training.

2015-01-05 3:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
 I tend to wear (hide) my weight well

I know I am a little pudgy when people start saying "you look good," rather than "dude, eat a burger or something...."

i have seen you before, during and after a race. You do not look like a heavy guy. Not at all. It's hard to believe you were over 180 at Silverman.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).