Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-01-20 2:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by brigby1

Back at the 5k I did on Thanksgiving, the winner ran a full 4 minutes faster than I did, and I was just under 19 minutes. Found out that over the weekend he ran a 1:03:28 at the USATF Half Marathon Championships. 4:50/mi, just a few seconds per mile slower than what he did in the 5k. The B standard for the Marathon Trials is 1:05. Or about a 20 pt VDOT gap.

That's fantastic! One of the guys on my team just ran his marathon debut @ 2:18:47 or as he probably tells is, 47 seconds slow. 

*I won't specify our VDOT gap

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-01-20 2:54 PM

2015-01-20 3:00 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by marcag

James,

for you....look in TT ... I pointed to a link for a free ebook on training with power at Trainingpeaks

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/how-to-start-training-wi...

Thanks Marc!

2015-01-20 6:19 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, I noticed a lot of "easy spin". There were some decent key workouts in there, though. Maybe will use the plan more for swim (it's one of the few I've seen where I didn't just laugh at the swim workouts) and some of the run--there's basically one type of speedwork with a consistent format, and I've done well with that kind of stuff since my teens. No need to get too complicated with maintaining my strengths.

I don't know that I've ever done any " easy spin" before, unless I was sick, breaking in a new bike, as recovery from a hard run or race, or just on a pleasure ride or tour, not as an actual workout. Will take a look at the mentor group plan for some longer workouts. I do need to keep the volume/intensity within reason. What I'm thinking is two solid interval workouts on the trainer each week, one with shorter, harder max stuff, maybe in the 60-70 minute range total, and one with longer threshold stuff, like 20 minute repeats, in the 90 minute range, plus a long ride of 2 building to 3:30-4 hours. I like the long rides in Jorge's program as they actually have a good amount of intensity and give me something structured to do on the trainer/in the industrial park. I would fall asleep with a totally steady-paced ride! If I did do a fourth ride it might be more of a recovery effort. It's hard to work in four hard rides a week with my other training and work schedule, and I found last year that running and overall recovery suffered when I did. Though my biking went well in my first race, I was sick for a couple of weeks before and after, and my run was not that good. Ended up cutting back to 3X with the bike again. In an ideal world (I'm a trophy wife or independently wealthy and live in Hawaii or New Zealand) 4X a week would be best. i don't live in that world.

I don't think the ANT + sensors are available here. Getting fed up with LBS. Right now they have neither spare MTB tubes or wireless computers. WTF? Will take a look when I go home next month. Guess I'm stuck in RPE land till then, unless I want to go to the gym and get my watts fix sometime.
2015-01-20 6:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Aerocamp is back: https://a3hdcamps.wordpress.com/aerocamp-3-0/

This one honestly one of the most fun and educational experiences I've ever had on a bicycle.

LA Velodrome Feb 28 - March 1, coaches Heath Dotson and Brian Stover (who answered my questions long after camp ended - even helped me track down the best parts for my bike), data by Alphamantis, option for a bike fit by Jim Manton, and a chance to try out your gear - and other gear, even gear not on the market yet - and find your most aero set-up.

I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer. 

Just figured I'd pass the info along.

I'm in the area two weeks too early!  I am getting fit by Jim while I'm there though.  

Would love to do it, especially as its 20 minutes from home, but can't justify the expense for where I am as a triathlete. If I were minutes from kona, etc, different story
2015-01-20 7:40 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by Hot Runner  I don't think the ANT + sensors are available here. Getting fed up with LBS. Right now they have neither spare MTB tubes or wireless computers. WTF? Will take a look when I go home next month. Guess I'm stuck in RPE land till then, unless I want to go to the gym and get my watts fix sometime.

So how hard is it to mail things to Vietnam and actually arrive unopened/untampered/untaxed to oblivion? (had a friend in Turkey that paid a small fortune in taxes for trinkets from home) I'm pretty sure in my "dead garmin" box there is an ANT+ sensor or two. If I haven't tossed/lost would be happy to put one in an envelope if it would actually get to you. 

2015-01-20 9:42 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Ran today.  Went at a "tempo gait" (which turns out to now be closer to my 10k pace - maybe even a little faster than that - given the HR I hit... sigh) and actually felt much better on the injuries than forcing myself to go slowly.  Achilles is no worse, knee is actually still feeling better and hammy just played along for once.

I have always enjoyed running at tempo or faster.  I wonder if, depending on injury type, that kind of smooth speed (not speed work, mind you - just smoothly fast-ish) is actually good?

Or, I could be setting myself up for a year of not running.    Still have a sore achilles, but with no speed work or hills on this route, it felt and feels pretty ok and certainly no worse.

I was just truly happy to be running again (and it didn't hurt that it was 76, sunny and dry!!!!). 

Matt

2015-01-21 3:28 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks for the offer--there are so many generous folks on BT! I've had to turn down offers of everything from aerobars to almonds! Basically, if it does arrive unscathed (not a given), then it is taxed to oblivion. Have made the "trinkets from home" mistake once--I paid over $200 of duty on $25 of goods because I couldn't bear sending back the care package or having it tossed when I knew the sender was going to ask about it. Not worth it unless it's a true emergency. I'll be back in the US for eight days next month, so will deal with my tri-related shopping then.

There is also a slightly better-stocked bike shop at the other end of the city, but I'm super busy until Tet break with coaching and my online coursework, and can't spare the time to get there. For now, RPE's good enough--I think I know when I'm working hard!

BTW Is there a link to the training plan with Shane and Marc's mentor group? Don't have the time to wade through 75 pages!

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-01-21 3:39 AM
2015-01-21 3:33 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Maybe your biomechanics are better/different in a way that doesn't stress the injuries when you are running faster? It's counterintuitive but I almost always feel better with tendinitis issues when wearing racing type shoes (Saucony Grid Speed or Kinvara) and running at a slightly faster pace, especially on grass. Maybe try varying the surfaces you run on, and do some fartlek or strides within an easy run so you're not doing exactly the same motion over and over. We don't have hills here and I think that contributes to my occasional issues with PF or tight achilles/calves if running higher mileage--muscles get tight and fatigued if you're constantly doing the same thing.
2015-01-21 7:10 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner Maybe your biomechanics are better/different in a way that doesn't stress the injuries when you are running faster? It's counterintuitive but I almost always feel better with tendinitis issues when wearing racing type shoes (Saucony Grid Speed or Kinvara) and running at a slightly faster pace, especially on grass. Maybe try varying the surfaces you run on, and do some fartlek or strides within an easy run so you're not doing exactly the same motion over and over. We don't have hills here and I think that contributes to my occasional issues with PF or tight achilles/calves if running higher mileage--muscles get tight and fatigued if you're constantly doing the same thing.

Fyi, be careful trying to figure out Matt.

Was thinking similar though, biomechanics could be changing at the different paces. So when backing down the effort, what is slacking off that should not be? At least not so much.

Something to be careful of is that the increased pace could also increase the adrenaline and you notice less while doing it. I've done it some and felt better at first, but picked up some soreness after. Or it came on later after finishing the run.

2015-01-21 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner  BTW Is there a link to the training plan with Shane and Marc's mentor group? Don't have the time to wade through 75 pages!

Marc has links in his log. 

2015-01-21 7:53 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by ChrisM
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Aerocamp is back: https://a3hdcamps.wordpress.com/aerocamp-3-0/

This one honestly one of the most fun and educational experiences I've ever had on a bicycle.

LA Velodrome Feb 28 - March 1, coaches Heath Dotson and Brian Stover (who answered my questions long after camp ended - even helped me track down the best parts for my bike), data by Alphamantis, option for a bike fit by Jim Manton, and a chance to try out your gear - and other gear, even gear not on the market yet - and find your most aero set-up.

I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer. 

Just figured I'd pass the info along.

I'm in the area two weeks too early!  I am getting fit by Jim while I'm there though.  

Would love to do it, especially as its 20 minutes from home, but can't justify the expense for where I am as a triathlete. If I were minutes from kona, etc, different story

Looking at the cost though, in comparison to say wind tunnel testing, it seems very reasonably priced.  I hadn't realized the technology company was Canadian - keeps me hoping they put it in the local velodrome.  When I rode last weekend we were told that by May the Pan Am Games take over until almost September and everyone else is kicked out, so I reckon if anything like this does come to town it's not going to be for quite a while.

2015-01-21 8:28 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
5' Power test this am....... = 329.5w

Better than I thought. It was off the CompuTrainer my PowerTap (although new) kept dropping to 0w. I will replace battier today.

Any thought?

2015-01-21 8:30 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by BrotherTri 5' Power test this am....... = 329.5w Better than I thought. It was off the CompuTrainer my PowerTap (although new) kept dropping to 0w. I will replace battier today. Any thought?

Probably batteries.  How long were the dropouts and how many?  Goldencheetah can try to fix the data (Fix Gaps I think?) or you can manually fill them in if it's not a lot of them.  That will give you a number that is close.

2015-01-21 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
A lot I'll just use the CT number. So for my 20' test on Friday if i maintain 290w according to GC my FTP will be 280w

2015-01-21 11:06 AM

User image

Pro

Of course, I finally set a goal and start actually training... and I get sick.

But my new therabands have arrived and I can start doing my regular IT band exercises again. 

2015-01-21 11:12 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Ran today.  Went at a "tempo gait" (which turns out to now be closer to my 10k pace - maybe even a little faster than that - given the HR I hit... sigh) and actually felt much better on the injuries than forcing myself to go slowly.  Achilles is no worse, knee is actually still feeling better and hammy just played along for once.

I have always enjoyed running at tempo or faster.  I wonder if, depending on injury type, that kind of smooth speed (not speed work, mind you - just smoothly fast-ish) is actually good?

Or, I could be setting myself up for a year of not running.    Still have a sore achilles, but with no speed work or hills on this route, it felt and feels pretty ok and certainly no worse.

I was just truly happy to be running again (and it didn't hurt that it was 76, sunny and dry!!!!). 

Matt

Tempo gait? Hahaha! 

So on one hand yes, your form is likely much better when running faster. That is why strides are such a huge component of many run plans. Also, many, many coaches point at sprinters when talking about form. 

But I refuse to say the solution is doing all your running at that speed. I believe this is an opportunity to try and always run with good form, not just when you are running fast. And one way to work on this is through things like strides and drills. 

2015-01-21 11:57 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Matt

Tempo gait? Hahaha! 

So on one hand yes, your form is likely much better when running faster. That is why strides are such a huge component of many run plans. Also, many, many coaches point at sprinters when talking about form. 

But I refuse to say the solution is doing all your running at that speed. I believe this is an opportunity to try and always run with good form, not just when you are running fast. And one way to work on this is through things like strides and drills. 

Hmmm...  Not sure what was funny in that one (unless you actually saw me running).    Certainly wasn't intended as a joke - just trying to describe what I was shooting for from a stride/mechanics standpoint. You don't feel a difference in your gate for runs at different paces?

I'm not at all saying I plan to run EVERY run fast or even at a moderate pace - or that I'm planning anything based on this run... just asking a question.  This was a "fast not hard" stride - perhaps a bit slower than what the first half of a HM would be/feel like (but only done for a couple miles).  Certainly wasn't suggesting that the solution to injury rehab is to run every run at that pace.

Let me try again, as perhaps the question will be more clear this way:  is running slowly until you're at 100% the right approach in coming back after a tweak (with consideration to the nature of the tweak, of course)? 

I suspect not (cue someone to respond with the "lots/mostly slow/sometimes fast" axiom), although I don't know.  Hence...

Thoughts?

Matt

2015-01-21 12:21 PM

User image

Seattle

Matt

Tempo gait? Hahaha! 

Hmmm...  Not sure what was funny in that one (unless you actually saw me running).    Certainly wasn't intended as a joke - just trying to describe what I was shooting for from a stride/mechanics standpoint. You don't feel a difference in your gate for runs at different paces?

I'm not at all saying I plan to run EVERY run fast or even at a moderate pace - or that I'm planning anything based on this run... just asking a question.  This was a "fast not hard" stride - perhaps a bit slower than what the first half of a HM would be/feel like (but only done for a couple miles).  Certainly wasn't suggesting that the solution to injury rehab is to run every run at that pace.

Let me try again, as perhaps the question will be more clear this way:  is running slowly until you're at 100% the right approach in coming back after a tweak (with consideration to the nature of the tweak, of course)? 

I suspect not (cue someone to respond with the "lots/mostly slow/sometimes fast" axiom), although I don't know.  Hence...

Thoughts?

Matt

Ah nah, I am just teasing really.

I just find that I run how I run. Certainly things seem to get closer to "perfect" when we run faster but I don't think there should be such a wide variance in your gait when you run slowly and when you run fast. But I think many, many people feel, and experience what you do. So I apologize if I was minimizing your thoughts. I do get what you are saying.

I can't tell you how many people think I am crazy when I run slowly, stating that they could "never run that slow" because it's uncomfortable. And maybe that is exactly the issue, right? 

All that being said, I can't really answer your question. I think it's too personal.

I've not had a running specific injury but my experience coming back from a break is to do all easy running for a block of time before I ever add speed. And I do this mainly because I never build up volume at the same time as adding in quality (or "speed.")

But I also feel that it's often as simple as: if it hurts, don't do it and if it feels good, keep with it. You just have to be really honest with yourself. I could see something like shorter easy runs with strides, on a soft surface (with rest in between) could really work for you.

2015-01-21 1:01 PM

User image

Originally posted by BrotherTri 5' Power test this am....... = 329.5w Better than I thought. It was off the CompuTrainer my PowerTap (although new) kept dropping to 0w. I will replace battier today. Any thought?

Were the 3x8' intervals you were doing off the computrainer or the PT?  I would have expected a lot higher considering the 3x8' workouts you were doing that didn't feel super hard too you.  

Don't sweat it too much though...a lot of these first few months will just be getting used to training with power.  Your numbers will likely be all over the place for a little while.

2015-01-21 1:03 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Matt

Tempo gait? Hahaha! 

Thoughts?

Matt

I just find that I run how I run. Certainly things seem to get closer to "perfect" when we run faster but I don't think there should be such a wide variance in your gait when you run slowly and when you run fast. But I think many, many people feel, and experience what you do. So I apologize if I was minimizing your thoughts. I do get what you are saying.

I can't tell you how many people think I am crazy when I run slowly, stating that they could "never run that slow" because it's uncomfortable. And maybe that is exactly the issue, right? 

All that being said, I can't really answer your question. I think it's too personal.

I've not had a running specific injury but my experience coming back from a break is to do all easy running for a block of time before I ever add speed. And I do this mainly because I never build up volume at the same time as adding in quality (or "speed.")

But I also feel that it's often as simple as: if it hurts, don't do it and if it feels good, keep with it. You just have to be really honest with yourself. I could see something like shorter easy runs with strides, on a soft surface (with rest in between) could really work for you.

No worries!  Figured as much...  Just trying to find the best way forward, as I've now had a few injuries that were running related and don't have the healing thing down pat just yet!

The first two were clearly from not recovering sufficiently after a hard race (learned that lesson... Finally!).  But this one was from modifying my gait.  So, going back to "just running the way I run" was something I wanted to try.  Guess we'll see, but I'm sprinkling some caution in here, too!

Matt

2015-01-21 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Jason N

Were the 3x8' intervals you were doing off the computrainer or the PT?  I would have expected a lot higher considering the 3x8' workouts you were doing that didn't feel super hard too you.  

Don't sweat it too much though...a lot of these first few months will just be getting used to training with power.  Your numbers will likely be all over the place for a little while.

Hey Jason

They were both done on the CT with Sat being with the PT as well. All calibrated and working well at the time.

Saturday 17 Jan
Computrainer ride 3x 300+w @8' w/2' ri (242w Avg)
RPE 8.5
HR avg 160
RPM avg 83

PowerTap Readings
AP 239
NP 248

Garmin Link
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/675553277#

#######################

Wednesday 14 Jan
Computrainer ride 3x 300+w @8' w/2' ri (242w Avg)
REP 7.5
HR avg 146
RPM avg 77

Garmin Link
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/673492137#

Edited by BrotherTri 2015-01-21 8:36 PM

2015-01-21 4:38 PM

User image

James...sorry, I can't view your workouts.  Maybe they are private?

But just assuming that you held 300w for 24 minutes, with 4 minutes of rest intervals in between.  Lets just say they were at 180w rest intervals.  That would still give you a 28 minute average power of 280 watts even if you include the rest intervals into the average.  If that workout didn't make you feel like you were going to die, then you had more in the tank, and certainly you could do more if it were just 20 minutes at one steady effort.

It took me a while to fully realize how much I could suffer over various lengths of time while testing.  It's a lot easier to hit those limits when it's part of a race, or you're just trying to follow someone who's much stronger than you and you're not paying attention to numbers.  But once you do know what your capabilities are, then it's a lot easier mentally to commit to it from the start of the test and hang on for dear life.

2015-01-21 4:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
James,

I would do the 20' test

Between the 5', 20', Ramp test you did and 3x8 we will zero in pretty close on your FTP

If not, you'll just have to do 60' all out test, that's easy enough :-)

2015-01-21 6:55 PM

Master
Northern IL

Matt

Tempo gait? Hahaha! 

Thoughts?

Matt

No worries!  Figured as much...  Just trying to find the best way forward, as I've now had a few injuries that were running related and don't have the healing thing down pat just yet!

The first two were clearly from not recovering sufficiently after a hard race (learned that lesson... Finally!).  But this one was from modifying my gait.  So, going back to "just running the way I run" was something I wanted to try.  Guess we'll see, but I'm sprinkling some caution in here, too!

Matt

Matt, I've felt less difference between my faster & easier running after doing fast stuff more frequently and by getting in a more dynamic warm-up before every run.

2015-01-21 8:39 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by marcag

James,

I would do the 20' test

Between the 5', 20', Ramp test you did and 3x8 we will zero in pretty close on your FTP

If not, you'll just have to do 60' all out test, that's easy enough :-)

Marc I am doing the 20' Friday

Jason I set the Garmin links to everyone and did replace my PowerTap G3 battier. Have not test the PT yet.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).