in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by GoFaster

Very cool - I remeber Chris had good things to say about him.  I can see the track outside the fitting room, did you get to give it a try?

Nope, there was lots going on though.  Jim said it was too bad the world championships were going on (in Paris?) as none of the really fast riders were there to watch.

Yes, I was very happy with him, and need to go back this season.   When I was there one of the riders was there, i just saw him on the UCI worlds broadcast from Paris, son of the Felt owner.   Didn't have great results though.  I've never been on the track but a good friend wants to get me there.  They have open workouts, but it's kind of spendy

That's the part I struggle with.  A drop in session is $11 + tax, plus the bike rental $10 + tax.  An annual membership is $500 so if you have your own bike and ride the track a lot then it's much more cost effective.  That said, they have youth drop in classes twice per week and my 10 year old is certified to ride, and I believe we can ride together, so I may drop the $40+ to ride for an hour with him tomorrow, otherwise I just watch from the sidelines as he rides during his weekly class.  He can do his first races in two weeks in the Youth Cup riding in the "Squirt" division.

2015-02-25 9:00 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Pro

Wore cycling bibs for the first time last night. They are every bit as amazing as people made them out to be. My only regret was not buying them sooner... well, that and not buying more than one pair from the PowerBar store before they ran out

2015-02-25 10:01 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Pro

On a training-related note... I think I had a breakthrough.

I expected to feel drained after my first 40+ mile week of marathon training. I was a little sleep deprived and needed a nap on Monday because I slept 8 hours in the 2 nights at my Drill weekend. 

But I woke up, got my run in Monday evening. Ran and rode yesterday. I feel AWESOME. My runs were under 10min/mile and felt fairly effortless. (Goal for the marathon is 9min/mile)

I'm itching to run today and my legs feel surprisingly fresh, but it's my rest day. 

This feels awesome.

2015-02-25 10:22 AM

User image

I haven't worn regular bike shorts in..... 2 years? I even bought de Soto tri bibs, did IM Canada I'm them and running the marathon in them (run in the ones with the fleece pad)
2015-02-25 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I haven't worn regular bike shorts in..... 2 years? I even bought de Soto tri bibs, did IM Canada I'm them and running the marathon in them (run in the ones with the fleece pad)

what do you find is the difference ? I have a pair, can't say I dislike, but they are no different than regular shorts for me. Then again, I am really bad at noticing differences between shorts a and shorts b.
2015-02-25 11:09 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

I expected to feel drained after my first 40+ mile week of marathon training. I was a little sleep deprived and needed a nap on Monday because I slept 8 hours in the 2 nights at my Drill weekend. 

But I woke up, got my run in Monday evening. Ran and rode yesterday. I feel AWESOME. My runs were under 10min/mile and felt fairly effortless. (Goal for the marathon is 9min/mile)

I'm itching to run today and my legs feel surprisingly fresh, but it's my rest day. 

This feels awesome.

That's great! 

2015-02-25 11:45 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM I haven't worn regular bike shorts in..... 2 years? I even bought de Soto tri bibs, did IM Canada I'm them and running the marathon in them (run in the ones with the fleece pad)

I've been tempted to get the desoto tri bibs but haven't to this point.  I do the majority of my training in 400 mile bibs, any idea how they compare?

2015-02-25 11:46 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

This feels awesome.

Nice!

2015-02-25 11:53 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM I haven't worn regular bike shorts in..... 2 years? I even bought de Soto tri bibs, did IM Canada I'm them and running the marathon in them (run in the ones with the fleece pad)

I've been tempted to get the desoto tri bibs but haven't to this point.  I do the majority of my training in 400 mile bibs, any idea how they compare?

They feel just like bike bibs.  Pad is slightly thinner, I think

2015-02-25 11:54 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag
what do you find is the difference ? I have a pair, can't say I dislike, but they are no different than regular shorts for me. Then again, I am really bad at noticing differences between shorts a and shorts b.

No muffintop  

Keeps everything high and tight.....

2015-02-25 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
No muffintop  

I had to google that and there were images I cannot unsee !!!

2015-02-25 12:29 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ChrisM No muffintop  
I had to google that and there were images I cannot unsee !!!

NNNOOOOOO!!!!

I can't imagine the images that came up. Sorry about your retinas. 

2015-02-25 12:46 PM

User image

No muffintop  

Agreed.  I went to bibs last year and I've just gotten my 4th pair.  The only time I wear bike shorts now is for commuting...as there is no way I'm going to buy that many bibs or do laundry that often.  For any type of training ride...it's bibs and I'll never go back.  I'm loving not having a waistband and my stomach constantly hanging over it while in the drops or on aerobars.  

I was also thinking of desoto tri bibs if I go back to tris.  Would really help eliminate the tan line on the back just above the waistline when using a shorter tri top.

The Desoto 400 mile bibs are by far my favorite.

2015-02-25 2:01 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

No muffintop  

Agreed.  I went to bibs last year and I've just gotten my 4th pair.  The only time I wear bike shorts now is for commuting...as there is no way I'm going to buy that many bibs or do laundry that often.  For any type of training ride...it's bibs and I'll never go back.  I'm loving not having a waistband and my stomach constantly hanging over it while in the drops or on aerobars.  

I was also thinking of desoto tri bibs if I go back to tris.  Would really help eliminate the tan line on the back just above the waistline when using a shorter tri top.

I started on bibs like 6-7 years ago and that's all I've used since. Also just use trisuits instead of 2 pc. I've thought of the DeSoto tribibs too, but wasn't sure about having some areas doubled up under material with the top on. I've been very susceptible to heat in the past.

2015-02-25 2:10 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

No muffintop  

I started on bibs like 6-7 years ago and that's all I've used since. Also just use trisuits instead of 2 pc. I've thought of the DeSoto tribibs too, but wasn't sure about having some areas doubled up under material with the top on. I've been very susceptible to heat in the past.

I do not do well in heat AT ALL and had the same concerns.  I have not found it to be an issue, and my plan B if it is on the run would be to (discreetly) pull down the bib portion.  I raced Silverman 2014 in them, 90 or so degrees, I  used the de soto cooling top and was actually cold during portions.  I also used them at NOLA and Miami 70.3, both very hot, and didn't seem to affect me (i mean, everyone was boiling, how much hotter could it be??? )  

2015-02-25 2:29 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

definitely prefer bibs! Im tall and bibs just seem to fit better. I have a couple pairs of LG's that i love. . I didn't find the DeSoto 400 shorts/bibs to be as comfortable but am prob in the minority there. Most ppl rave about them. 

2015-02-25 3:01 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

I got a pair of LGs as well.  I think one of the higher end ones.  I love the material it's made of...very comfortable and breathable as well as sharp looking.  The pad looks really fancy, but I prefer the desoto pad as well as the overall design around the midsection.  If desoto made their bib out of the LG fabrics, I think I would be in heaven.

2015-02-25 3:17 PM

Master
Northern IL

I ride in LG as well, specifically it's been in the NeoPower. I tried a better one and found the material didn't stretch much at all. This has happened with a few other brands as well. Castelli was one other. Size up and it's loose. Size down and I can't get into position or move. Is that lack of stretching normal for some better shorts? Very surprised by that.

2015-02-25 3:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

These are the one's I have.  I found they move and stretch quite well for me.  Had to get them in large though...where most everything else I wear is medium.

Edited by Jason N 2015-02-25 3:37 PM
2015-02-25 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Louis Garneau is a Quebecer who is probably more famous for putting his arm around the queen than his biking apparel.
2015-02-25 4:13 PM

User image

These are the one's I have.  I found they move and stretch quite well for me.  Had to get them in large though...where most everything else I wear is medium.

I own mostly Capo bibs.  Excellent product

2015-02-25 6:18 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag Louis Garneau is a Quebecer who is probably more famous for putting his arm around the queen than his biking apparel.

And I don't even know what queen this would be.

2015-02-25 6:20 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag Louis Garneau is a Quebecer who is probably more famous for putting his arm around the queen than his biking apparel.

Queen Kaahumanu?

2015-02-25 6:20 PM

Master
Northern IL

Ok, I can't remember the exact type, but somewhere in between this and what I've been using. Good to know it may have been just that type for them.

2015-02-25 6:32 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Queen Kaahumanu?

?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).