Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-03-13 7:47 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

I have a quick bike question in regards to tires. I had a failure last night, the tire bubbled outward in a spot and started rubbing a few miles into my ride. After I got home and made a switch with it, I got to thinking about life expectancy of tires in general. This tire did not have high mileage on it, probably about 800 - 1000 miles. It is a Michelin Orium, about three years old, which I think is why it failed. 

The questions then are:

• What kind of time do you generally get from a tire?
  • Or what kind of mileage? Both of these will vary based on tire I would think.
  • What kind of use shows the most abuse on your tires, ie road, trainer, etc?

I don't use a trainer at all, but my road conditions kind of suck, lots of chippy and wornout asphalt. My general tire of choice is Gatorskins, for this very reason.  I run different tires on my fixed gear bike, just due to the worst deciding factor ever, appearance.

Thanks

2015-03-13 11:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sounds like a defective tire.  I don't think they should ever "bubble" given the threading or casing below outter rubber surface.  i typically don't get vey many miles on my tires due to my style of riding.  Lots of road bike miles on not so great roads.  The out of the saddle stuff and winding descents eat up your tires a lot faster.  I'll maybe get 2500 miles on my rear tire if it's a gator skin, and maybe 1500 miles for a gp4000s.  That's when it starts to square off.  I'll usually get double that life in the front, so I usually order tires by multiples of 3.  One tire for the front for every 2 in the rear.  I know some other people can get 3-4x more mileage than I can...its just not possible for me.  I start getting way too many flats once the tire gets squared off...even though I haven't worn past the wear dimple.

Edited by Jason N 2015-03-13 11:21 AM
2015-03-13 11:25 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Jason N

Ok...I suppose I would be a little worried too.  

I guess just keep suggesting the RD provide more ice.  This isn't just a random suggestion...these are record temps...the RD should be making adjustments to their planning to account for this.  A few hundred pounds of ice is a lot better than people passing out on the course.

That said, so long as you are in control, I would think this is an opportunity to do something epic.  Don't pass up on it unless there is a serious threat to your health.

Easy for me to say...LOL.

tough call. on one hand if the finishing time is not important, you know a walk will be safe although long. When we did silverman, I had made the decision that I would bail if I walked before the mid point. Walking 1/2 of a 1/2 was the limit of my patience. Walking 13 miles or more, due to extreme heat is probably way beyond my tolerance. At one point this stops being fun. How early in the morning do you start ?

I saw they moved the start time to 6:55 because of the heat (30 mins early)

Looks like the RD is prepared: http://www.lamarathon.com/event-info/weather

They've got a solid plan in place, hopefully they execute that plan well.

2015-03-13 11:42 AM

User image

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

I guess just keep suggesting the RD provide more ice.  This isn't just a random suggestion...these are record temps...the RD should be making adjustments to their planning to account for this.  A few hundred pounds of ice is a lot better than people passing out on the course.

That said, so long as you are in control, I would think this is an opportunity to do something epic.  Don't pass up on it unless there is a serious threat to your health.

tough call. on one hand if the finishing time is not important, you know a walk will be safe although long. When we did silverman, I had made the decision that I would bail if I walked before the mid point. Walking 1/2 of a 1/2 was the limit of my patience. Walking 13 miles or more, due to extreme heat is probably way beyond my tolerance. At one point this stops being fun. How early in the morning do you start ?

Different marathon   That's LA, i am doing Catalina the day before.   LA is going to be a lot hotter than mine, about 10 degrees, as mine is on an island off the coast.  I know at least one guy that is doing Catalina then taking the boat back and doing LA the next day

We start at 7 which is basically sunrise.  My problem is looking at too many weather internet sites.   weather.com and NWS basically say low 80s, which is not that bad.   accuweather has this "real feel" forecast which puts temps around 96 during what is probably the last two hours or so of the run.  That's the one that's freaking me out.

Edited by ChrisM 2015-03-13 11:43 AM
2015-03-13 11:53 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

Different marathon   That's LA, i am doing Catalina the day before.   LA is going to be a lot hotter than mine, about 10 degrees, as mine is on an island off the coast.  I know at least one guy that is doing Catalina then taking the boat back and doing LA the next day

We start at 7 which is basically sunrise.  My problem is looking at too many weather internet sites.   weather.com and NWS basically say low 80s, which is not that bad.   accuweather has this "real feel" forecast which puts temps around 96 during what is probably the last two hours or so of the run.  That's the one that's freaking me out.

It's snowing here. Why do I feel fortunate ?

Chris, ignore the weather forecasts. They never get it right.

Think cold beer at the finish line.

2015-03-13 3:39 PM

User image

Seattle

You are looking at this all wrong. 

You have no pressures of a time goal, you aren't going to die. You can take your sweet time and embrace this as a true adventure. And if it stops being fun, or seems dangerous to your health? Just quit. But not trying seems crazy to me. Especially given weather forecaster's track records...

At least you aren't the guy taking to boat back to do LA the next day  

*Also as stated above, cold beer.

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-03-13 3:40 PM

2015-03-13 5:59 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Those are the conditions pretty much year-round here. Just pace yourself conservatively, keep drinking both water and electrolyte drinks, play with ice and sponges whenever you can, and you should be okay. And maybe stop looking at weather forecasts.
2015-03-13 6:01 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

I am just a superb worrier. I am going to do it of course, and just hope I don't have to quit, and if I do they've got those logistics figured out given the area. Here on the island now and seeing other runners thinking "if they can do it...." and no, I ain't the guy going back for more Sunday. That would intrefere with my beer drinking sat nite
2015-03-14 7:03 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like a defective tire.  I don't think they should ever "bubble" given the threading or casing below outter rubber surface.  i typically don't get vey many miles on my tires due to my style of riding.  Lots of road bike miles on not so great roads.  The out of the saddle stuff and winding descents eat up your tires a lot faster.  I'll maybe get 2500 miles on my rear tire if it's a gator skin, and maybe 1500 miles for a gp4000s.  That's when it starts to square off.  I'll usually get double that life in the front, so I usually order tires by multiples of 3.  One tire for the front for every 2 in the rear.  I know some other people can get 3-4x more mileage than I can...its just not possible for me.  I start getting way too many flats once the tire gets squared off...even though I haven't worn past the wear dimple.

I change my race tires every year but I just put the older ones on my road and other bikes. With 4 bikes it makes it easy to find one needing a new tire :-)

I go through a lot of tubes, but mostly due to the trainer.

I always use trainer tires on the trainer, never old tires. They may too much black dust.
2015-03-14 8:30 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
good luck Chris!
you'll be fine-I second A's response; just embrace the experience and stop worrying
2015-03-14 10:47 AM

User image

Check that, after an hours worth of sleep got up at 4 and decided that I was not truly interested in the amount of suffering I would have to endure for probably 6 or 7 hours, my finish time at the other marathon here was 6:2x, with 1000 feet less climbing and 10 degrees cooler. Right decision for me, and I finally got to sleep.. I know some probably think I should've gone for it, but gotta listen to my spidey sense

Edited by ChrisM 2015-03-14 10:47 AM

2015-03-14 11:15 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Too bad it didn't work out Chris but I think trusting your spidey senses is a good idea.  It's one thing to worry and question it in the days leading up to it but if your last minute gut feeling says to pull the plug it's probably the right choice.

2015-03-14 11:19 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I change my race tires every year but I just put the older ones on my road and other bikes. With 4 bikes it makes it easy to find one needing a new tire :-) I go through a lot of tubes, but mostly due to the trainer. I always use trainer tires on the trainer, never old tires. They may too much black dust.

I have no idea why but I never get any black dust or bits of tire from the trainer.  In fact I noticed the other day that I somehow ended up with a good Vittoria EVO tire on my trainer that I've been using for 3 weeks and looking at the tread you would never know it was used at all...

2015-03-14 11:39 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thanks for the tire input everyone. I was due for some new ones before the bikes start getting more use, so this just hastened that along.

Chris, I'm glad you came to a final decision that hopefully puts you at ease. 

2015-03-14 2:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hot RunnerThose are the conditions pretty much year-round here. Just pace yourself conservatively, keep drinking both water and electrolyte drinks, play with ice and sponges whenever you can, and you should be okay. And maybe stop looking at weather forecasts.
This is not a typical supported course, 2 miles or more between aid stations, all warm water and gatorade. Not a single piece of ice (per my friend that just finished). 100% fine with the decision

Edited by ChrisM 2015-03-14 3:05 PM
2015-03-14 5:13 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot RunnerThose are the conditions pretty much year-round here. Just pace yourself conservatively, keep drinking both water and electrolyte drinks, play with ice and sponges whenever you can, and you should be okay. And maybe stop looking at weather forecasts.
This is not a typical supported course, 2 miles or more between aid stations, all warm water and gatorade. Not a single piece of ice (per my friend that just finished). 100% fine with the decision

I've bailed on a number of races I've signed up for. Likely would have here too. Just didn't make sense to keep going through with them.

2015-03-14 6:04 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
True--looking back, it sounds pretty tough. Is it a trail run? That being said, pretty much all my training and many local races have exactly those conditions. You can't drink the tap water here so no refilling bottles unless you find a reputable shop (some sell fake bottled water), and no one's handing out ice, cold drinks, or sponges when I train. It's rare to have chilled drinks in races (if you're lucky, maybe at the finish) and it pretty much is lukewarm water and Gatorade (or just lukewarm water, or water and weird yuck like Red Bull or Sting). Doable, but it helps to be acclimatized (which takes weeks to truly happen) and self-sufficient so you can drink when you want, which would be hard with a race of 6-7 hours that doesn't involve a bike (otherwise known as a water carrier). If it wasn't an A race for you then maybe not worth it. Definitely training/racing in hot conditions takes a lot more out of you--I always figure a 2 hour run here is like a 3 hour one in Oregon, and so on--not in terms of training effect but drain on energy!

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-03-14 6:06 PM
2015-03-14 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Check that, after an hours worth of sleep got up at 4 and decided that I was not truly interested in the amount of suffering I would have to endure for probably 6 or 7 hours, my finish time at the other marathon here was 6:2x, with 1000 feet less climbing and 10 degrees cooler. Right decision for me, and I finally got to sleep.. I know some probably think I should've gone for it, but gotta listen to my spidey sense

always listen to the spidey sense
good choice, Chris

You'll be back!
2015-03-14 7:48 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot RunnerTrue--looking back, it sounds pretty tough. Is it a trail run? That being said, pretty much all my training and many local races have exactly those conditions. You can't drink the tap water here so no refilling bottles unless you find a reputable shop (some sell fake bottled water), and no one's handing out ice, cold drinks, or sponges when I train. It's rare to have chilled drinks in races (if you're lucky, maybe at the finish) and it pretty much is lukewarm water and Gatorade (or just lukewarm water, or water and weird yuck like Red Bull or Sting). Doable, but it helps to be acclimatized (which takes weeks to truly happen) and self-sufficient so you can drink when you want, which would be hard with a race of 6-7 hours that doesn't involve a bike (otherwise known as a water carrier). If it wasn't an A race for you then maybe not worth it. Definitely training/racing in hot conditions takes a lot more out of you--I always figure a 2 hour run here is like a 3 hour one in Oregon, and so on--not in terms of training effect but drain on energy!
Yeah, my training was 100% in 50 -60 degree weather. Last year this race high was 66. Hard to prepare for these conditions in california usually. Ah well, moving on, actually tried to find a mary next weekend to use the fitness but can't find anything maybe just run one myself
2015-03-15 4:26 PM

User image

First road race of the season in the books.  Just a short hill climb race with a mass start for all categories.  Somehow, someway, the lead pack stayed together on the climbs and it came down to a 13 man bunch finish.  I got into good position, launched with 200 meters left and opened up a big gap.  I caught some guys by surprise as most of them haven't seen my sprint.  The guy that came in second actually told me he wasn't scared of my move and was waiting for me to slow down so he could slingshot past...lol.

Strava or it didn't happen

heres the power curve.  Nothing crazy for 20 ish minutes, but the ability to put down 1000 watts at the end of the race was the difference.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (176KB - 3 downloads)
2015-03-15 5:42 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Awesome Jason, nice work!!

2015-03-15 6:26 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

x2 !!! great stuff
2015-03-15 6:31 PM

Master
Northern IL

First road race of the season in the books.  Just a short hill climb race with a mass start for all categories.  Somehow, someway, the lead pack stayed together on the climbs and it came down to a 13 man bunch finish.  I got into good position, launched with 200 meters left and opened up a big gap.  I caught some guys by surprise as most of them haven't seen my sprint.  The guy that came in second actually told me he wasn't scared of my move and was waiting for me to slow down so he could slingshot past...lol.

Strava or it didn't happen

heres the power curve.  Nothing crazy for 20 ish minutes, but the ability to put down 1000 watts at the end of the race was the difference.

Sandbagging Great job!

2015-03-15 7:18 PM

User image

x2 !!! great stuff

its that W' battery at work.  

2015-03-15 7:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

x2 !!! great stuff

its that W' battery at work.  

size of a small SUV !!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).