Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-04-11 4:55 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Seriously though that's one tough ride Rusty, I can see how you'd be on the edge the whole time with so many spikes in the power!

2015-04-11 6:21 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by TXTriRook Pictures?? Man you guys ask for a lot . I'm assuming everyone posts in the "Race Reports" section?
Just no selfies on the bike...on the swim., that's ok

What about muffin tops?

or a busted can of biscuits?

None of it matters if he's wearing Lululemons.

2015-04-11 6:37 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by TXTriRook Pictures?? Man you guys ask for a lot . I'm assuming everyone posts in the "Race Reports" section?

What about muffin tops?

hey, don't mock Arend's use of Lululemons

There is rumor he is the "go to" guy for development of Lululemon's ABC technology. ABC stands for "Anti Ball crushing"

Don't believe me ?

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/mens-pants-t...

2015-04-12 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Hoo - had a hard metric century this morning, even sitting in for the most part. Rode out with the 'A' group and pretty much decided to try and stay with them no matter what. After a quick nature break they really got on it and started splitting the group, and as I was riding so far back myself and a couple of other teammates got split off a few times when guys further up would pop. It took me max efforts just to bridge the gaps ride back on, so good interval work at least. We hit three longish hills in succession (and were averaging 24.5mph by that point) and that really got the group whittled down; on those three hills we went from about 50~60 riders to 15 in short order. My two teammates both got popped through that bit, but by then I had moved up to the front rotation to make sure I didn't lose contact. The 62/100 mile split came at the 54 mile mark (by then our average had slowed to 24.0mph) and the other 14 guys remaining in the 'A' group turned to do the 100, so I wound up soloing the last 8~9 miles to the metric century finish. I just read that one of the guys went down when he hit an Armadillo, but most of the remaining group made the full century in in under 4:30. The handful of guys in front of the crash made it around in 4:20 with about 4500' of rollers- sheesh!

There were 3 or 4 efforts in there where if they had of lasted 5 seconds more I think I would have blown a gasket, but was happy to hang with the front group until the split. No way I could have made 100 miles at that effort though. Finished up in 2:38 and change.

Stopping before the last 10m of the ride aside, that's one hell of a day.  Have you been training to ride with those kinds of efforts (vs. the more steady gray zone of tri), or was this for "fun"?

Matt

2015-04-13 2:27 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Had another lackluster TT yesterday.  RR here.  Watts were low, HR was high, but the result wasn't as bad as I would have thought considering.  Didn't have it mentally the last 5-7 minutes to really dig as the data (falling power numbers) had psyched me out.  For whatever reason, I don't think I've gotten good power feedback for this race the past 3 years I've tried using it despite it being a great pacing tool for this specific climb during training.  I think next year I may just use 3 second power and HR, and completely ignore avg power.  Ride more by feel, but use 3s power just to make sure I'm not doing anything crazy at the moment.

In any case, my whine is over.  It was still a fun time.  Having a bad race and still being within 60-90 seconds of some of the big guns is not too bad considering I'm carrying an extra 20 pounds on me compared to the rest of them.  Next up is the 40k TT in 4 weeks.  Hopefully I can shake this bad mojo I've been having in TT's this year.

2015-04-14 8:15 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
Ontario

Had another lackluster TT yesterday.  RR here.  Watts were low, HR was high, but the result wasn't as bad as I would have thought considering.  Didn't have it mentally the last 5-7 minutes to really dig as the data (falling power numbers) had psyched me out.  For whatever reason, I don't think I've gotten good power feedback for this race the past 3 years I've tried using it despite it being a great pacing tool for this specific climb during training.  I think next year I may just use 3 second power and HR, and completely ignore avg power.  Ride more by feel, but use 3s power just to make sure I'm not doing anything crazy at the moment.

In any case, my whine is over.  It was still a fun time.  Having a bad race and still being within 60-90 seconds of some of the big guns is not too bad considering I'm carrying an extra 20 pounds on me compared to the rest of them.  Next up is the 40k TT in 4 weeks.  Hopefully I can shake this bad mojo I've been having in TT's this year.

I find 3s power can still be pretty jumpy - any thoughts to using 30s instead?  Maybe not as good for a standard ride, but for a TT perhaps a better way to go?

2015-04-14 8:22 AM

Master
Northern IL

It is frustrating when your stuff seems to stop working when you want it most. Especially if it keeps doing that. Sounds like you still did alright with it.

2015-04-14 11:55 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1

It is frustrating when your stuff seems to stop working when you want it most. Especially if it keeps doing that. Sounds like you still did alright with it.

Jason, I think the power is impressive

Do you feel the PM was off or you ?

I find myself chasing an interval target less and less and just let the immediate power guide me. That being said, I usually go with 10s averaging and I just see what direction it is trending.
2015-04-14 12:52 PM

User image

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Most important is the pre and post race beer description. ABV and IBU are not required but they are nice. 

Good news for us, bad news for the mice that were in this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25780086moderate alcohol consumption does not impair muscle growth !!

I'll be sure to pour one out for em!

Yeah, just like most Americans, I tend to disregard any science that backs up anything that proves otherwise. So, I will happily read and promote this! 

ChrisM and I wholeheartedly approve this message!

Cheers!

Note for Justin - just as an example, the above image was lifted from my 2014 AG Nationals report, in which 36% of the images were dedicated to food and/or drink. That seems to be an appropriate ratio, I think. Although Adrienne CAN get a little crazy at times.... Oh, and no comment on my salad and whatever the eff THAT is Chris is eating.... some weird Canadian thing, I'll bet.

Ahhhhhh awesome! 

And yeah, what the eff is on your plate? You too Chris

Ha-ha - Ok, in the spirit of full disclosure (and because Chris has not chimed in to defend himself), that is actually my wife's salad and I slipped MY plate over in front of Chris just before JT snapped that picture. For the record, Chris actually eats like a junior high cheerleader. And I really don't remember what the heck that was I was eating, but I DO remember that it sure was good after racing that morning.

Sorry, just catching up as we got back Sunday from 2 weeks in Palau and Micronesia    

Only comment I can offer is, see that thing in my hand?  That (and a couple...beforehand) are the reason I can't comment, because I have no idea who was eating what     All's I know it was good.  

Looks like some sort of steaky thing with mashed and fried onions perhaps?  That sounds like something I'd order.

2015-04-14 1:53 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

RR from the Cap10k on Sunday here.  Great venue, and I ran/placed better than expected.  Absolutely LOVED running through downtown Austin with all the streets closed - a very cool perspective.

Was interesting to do a 10k after not having run an open one for a couple years...  Requires a lot of mental focus to hold that pace for 6.2.  Good practice.

2015-04-14 2:19 PM

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Jason, I think the power is impressive Do you feel the PM was off or you ? I find myself chasing an interval target less and less and just let the immediate power guide me. That being said, I usually go with 10s averaging and I just see what direction it is trending.

I usually go with 3s because I'm a roadie most of the time.  Quicker and shorter spikes that I want to keep track of.  I sort of got used to it and don't let the jumpiness bother me so long as the average is staying where I want it or move in the right direction.  I tried using 10s power and I didn't like it as I was too impatient to wait 10 seconds to know if the adjustment in power I made is correct.  Requires a bit more math in my head to smooth out the data when I want to ride steady, but I don't mind.

Anyway...I think this was a combination of me being off, my PM being slightly off (maybe), and starting a little too hard.  The power seemed off to me as far as my total time and my ending average.  I was only 30 seconds off my PR, despite my avg power being very much a training threshold effort.  I was 15 watts lower than that PR despite being a few pounds heavier this year.  15 watts for this course usually translates to around 70-90 seconds, and 1 pound is generally about 5 seconds.  So I would have expected to be around 90-110 seconds slower instead of 30 seconds slower.  

Not sure why it may have been reading low though.  Every other training ride I've done since getting the quarq back has been correlating well to RPE and HR for me.  Either way...I'm not going to dwell on it...I wasn't expecting a spectacular result anyway due to me not controlling my diet well thus far.  

2015-04-14 5:32 PM

User image

Seattle

My 12K mountain race report is up!

This race moved me into first place in the series but we have a lot of racing to go. The hard thing is that all distances are taken into account so someone who wins the 50K gets the same points as someone who wins the 5K and it appears that the woman I am head to head with is more of a distance gal and I, doing shorter stuff. So we may never actually face each-other head to head and it's more about who shows up to compete against US. 

2015-04-15 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jason, did you back-pedal zero before the race ? During the race ?

2015-04-15 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

What about muffin tops?

hey, don't mock Arend's use of Lululemons There is rumor he is the "go to" guy for development of Lululemon's ABC technology. ABC stands for "Anti Ball crushing" Don't believe me ? http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/mens-pants-t...

I will never mock any of you. Especially not anyone on the cutting edge of ABC technology. That kind of testing seems like it could be dangerous.

2015-04-15 3:18 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag Jason, did you back-pedal zero before the race ? During the race ?

I did back pedal after about 20 minutes into my warm up.  My warm up numbers seemed good.  I couldn't back pedal during the race as there is no place to coast.

I did some efforts yesterday, and everything seemed normal.  Just kind of weird.  

2015-04-16 6:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag Jason, did you back-pedal zero before the race ? During the race ?

I did back pedal after about 20 minutes into my warm up.  My warm up numbers seemed good.  I couldn't back pedal during the race as there is no place to coast.

I did some efforts yesterday, and everything seemed normal.  Just kind of weird.  

I was reallllllly bored one day on the trainer so decided to experiment with my Quarq.

Qalvin is really cool. If you put it in "Show system info" mode, it shows the PM offset. So I can back pedal and see the new zero offset number, while riding. I was doing this on the trainer, do not do on the road :-)

So I set the CT to a fix wattage, say 200w and every 5minutes I would back pedal.

But before that, when I first started I did the Garmin Zeroing and got 949. I would ride for 10min, pedal backward and the zero offset would drop to 937. That is a difference of 12 or about 4watts. This is about right, after a Q warms up, you lose about 4-5watts or I should say it over reads if you don't zero. FYI, the Cinqo used to be more than this.

Then every 5min I would back pedal and watch the offset

I would get CT=200w, Quarq = 201w, CT=200w, Quarq = 202w.....very very close and the zero offset would be 937, 936, 937...very stable

The boom, one back pedal and 917, so about 7 watts lower. Sure enough CT=200w, Q=193w. Back pedal, offset goes back to 937 and the numbers start matching again.

I would see this happen maybe one out of 15 times I would zero offset. I did this experiment several times

All this to say, a single zero offset can sometimes give a bad number. While you couldn't, if you are suspicious, while riding, zero offset. If after 2 or 3 tries it doesn't correct the problem, chances are the problem is elsewhere.

If a person does a static calibration before riding and does a zero mid way through the ride, with an increase in temperature, they can have a pretty big drop. Regular auto zeros are important. But you can keep a bigger power number if you don't :-)

2015-04-16 9:50 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

I am juuuuuuuuuust about ready for our "spring classics" weather to be over. In our group ride this morning we had one broken RD cable, then one broken rear brake cable, and then it started raining. at that point we decided to throw in the towel and took a short cut home, which caused us unwittingly to ride through a nasty construction zone, and I got so much gunk in my rear brake it seized (I was on my TT bike as I didn't travel with my road bike this week). FYI: super bikes are super, until they are not. Then I just found out the race I was planning to do this weekend does not have race-day registration like they normally do, and online registration is closed (new management, new rules). On the upside, A) I don't have to race in the pouring down rain this weekend, B) I will probably be in better shape to race the next weekend, which is actually better as it is a team race, C) I got to do a deep clean on my bike when I finally got in out of the rain this morning, and D) after a hot shower and with a latte in hand it appears I have a couple of SBU race reports to catch up on. Suddenly all is right with the world once again!

2015-04-16 9:57 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

That is good info Marc. just got off the phone with my coach, and since it looks like it is going to pour down rain all weekend, he decided to put it on the calendar to finally once and for all do a little experimenting on the trainer to see what the offset really is between my quarq, vectors, and kickr. STILL haven't had a chance to try out the BSX do-hickey though. 

2015-04-16 11:50 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

That is good info Marc. just got off the phone with my coach, and since it looks like it is going to pour down rain all weekend, he decided to put it on the calendar to finally once and for all do a little experimenting on the trainer to see what the offset really is between my quarq, vectors, and kickr. STILL haven't had a chance to try out the BSX do-hickey though. 

I assume you've seen the massive thread on ST about the kickr power?

2015-04-16 2:35 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by axteraa

I assume you've seen the massive thread on ST about the kickr power?

Oh, yes - I continue to gollow that thread closely. I am fortunate in that I don't seem to suffer he issues that many in that threa suffer. I was an early adopter and have the first version, which counter to the way it usually goes actually seem to be the most consistent of the bunch. Mine seems to be really stable once it gets warmed up, but does read about 6~8 watts higher than my Quarq. I have downloaded the new beta firmware that allows the Kickr resistance to be controlled by your on-board powermeter via ANT and it works well. I have not tried the Trainer Road or Perfpro implementation to see how they work. FWIW I think that is how it should have worked out if the box; I don't see it as a fix I see it as an added feature. I will of course have to turn that "feature" off to be able to compare the offset between the various PMs.

2015-04-16 3:31 PM

User image

That's interesting Marc.

So if I'm reading this right, as the Quarq warms up, you need to back pedal, otherwise the power numbers will over report?  And that it is possible, when you back pedal in the middle of a ride, it gets a wonky offset number that could possibly lead your Quarq to under report?  To fix it, you just back pedal again.

I guess I kind of just have to deal with it then.  I think with triathlons it's much easier to make the decision to back pedal in the middle of the ride as it will only cost you a few seconds and could save you a big chunk of time on the run.  You are already dealing with other issues like eating, bottle handups, etc...so the effort is not full gas the whole ride like it is in a short TT.

I do think I'm getting a lot better at pacing these time trials more by feel though, so I'm not really worried too much.  

2015-04-16 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

That's interesting Marc.

So if I'm reading this right, as the Quarq warms up, you need to back pedal, otherwise the power numbers will over report?  And that it is possible, when you back pedal in the middle of a ride, it gets a wonky offset number that could possibly lead your Quarq to under report?  To fix it, you just back pedal again.

I guess I kind of just have to deal with it then.  I think with triathlons it's much easier to make the decision to back pedal in the middle of the ride as it will only cost you a few seconds and could save you a big chunk of time on the run.  You are already dealing with other issues like eating, bottle handups, etc...so the effort is not full gas the whole ride like it is in a short TT.

I do think I'm getting a lot better at pacing these time trials more by feel though, so I'm not really worried too much.  

You got it.

If you have Qalvin, bring it out on a ride one day and every so often read the offset, re-Zero it and watch it change. It should slowly go down as the temperature rises.

Jordan on ST has a little sticker on his Garmin 500 to remind him to zero now and then.

Powertaps zero every time you coast and they to every so often give some funny numbers, I believe for the same reasons. Zeroing while riding sometimes screws things up a few watts.

2015-04-16 5:00 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Jason - it is not jus an issue with TTs either. If you ever want to see roadies go sideways fast just try back pedaling 5 or 6 quick revolutions while sitting in the middle of the group. I did it ONCE a few years ago when I first got my Quarq and goodness gracious, you would have thought I was swinging a fistfulll of live rattlesnakes around my head by the way they scattered.... Lesson learned: never, ever do that unannounced.
2015-04-17 4:11 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by TankBoy Jason - it is not jus an issue with TTs either. If you ever want to see roadies go sideways fast just try back pedaling 5 or 6 quick revolutions while sitting in the middle of the group. I did it ONCE a few years ago when I first got my Quarq and goodness gracious, you would have thought I was swinging a fistfulll of live rattlesnakes around my head by the way they scattered.... Lesson learned: never, ever do that unannounced.

That was an excellent visual!

2015-04-18 12:32 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Water carrying issue solved....I think! Thanks to the Taiwanese bike shop people, a small shipment of Profile Design two-bottle rear mounts for tri bikes arrived here yesterday from the mother ship in Taiwan, and one of them is now attached to my saddle rails. They even gave the bike a free tune-up in the process! That increases my bottle-carrying capacity to four (including the aerobottle), which is probably enough to get me through the race. I might need to stop to refill the aero-bottle (which just has water that I use to wash down gu and the like) but that is a lot simpler than trying to make electrolyte drink while racing, and a lot safer than drinking whatever yuck mix they are offering. Now to get used to getting the bottles in/out. Will start on the trainer tomorrow and see how it goes. I figure if worse comes to worse and I can't master it in time, I could just pull over sometime when I'm in the clear (in my longer races, that's been quite a bit of the time), get the fresh bottle out, and switch it into my tube mount.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).