of 97

2015-04-19 12:16 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: SBR "U"
Well....I think definitely the rear holder will be the "storage" area and I'l drink from the bottle on my tube and the aerobottle. I can get the bottles in and out but it's not graceful, I'm out of aero, and in some cases making multiple attempts to shove the thing back in. Since I drink every ten minutes in really hot conditions, it would seem to make more sense to have the "active" bottle be the one on the tube that I can drink from more easily (plus the aerobottle for water), and only access the back bottles when I need to switch them out (maybe once an hour). Is this what people generally do, or are they just more experienced/coordinated than me? Tried to watch footage of pros at Kona and how they drink with this setup but didn't seem to have views of that on the particular one I watched today.

Just so sick of the heat.....I actually felt really good after my ride today (3:30) and legs felt great at the start of the brick run, then by 25 minutes the heat just started to wear me down. Felt like I could be going a minute a mile faster if I wasn't about to melt! On the plus side, my chocolate lasted through all 2:25 outside. (First 1:05 on trainer.) I even had a piece just before running....no problems. For some reason my body and dark chocolate get along really well--it's resolved a lot of the nausea and gagging issues I used to have with gu on long rides and plan to have some in my bento box during the race (but gu for backup in case of melting!).

2015-04-19 4:33 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

The rear bottle is always the reserve for me and I drink out of what's up front.  When it's time to switch, I sit up, grab the empty front and hold it with my teeth then reach back and transfer the bottle from the back to the front holder and then put the empty in the back.  Getting it into the rear cage takes some practice for sure but if you do it enough you'll have a good idea of where to reach to do it.

I think dark chocolate solves many of life's problems.  

2015-04-19 6:19 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arend,

I registered for Nationals. If you're interested, let me know.

1500, 400, 200, 100 & 50.
2015-04-20 7:39 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
2015-04-20 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

When in your own back yard this is really worth it.

Cheaper than other versions out there.

2015-04-20 2:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Arend,

Are you guys talking about Age Group Nationals? If so, I'll be there too. After my race this weekend I've got a long way to go in order not to embarrass myself but i figure registering should give me all the motivation I need. Speaking of, quick question for the group. I was cramping badly on the run. I realized after the race my cadence was much lower than it should have been during the bike (65-70) which makes me think I was probably in the wrong gear and pushing too hard / tiring my legs out which is why I crashed on the run.

2015-04-20 2:02 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Arend,

Are you guys talking about Age Group Nationals? If so, I'll be there too. After my race this weekend I've got a long way to go in order not to embarrass myself but i figure registering should give me all the motivation I need. Speaking of, quick question for the group. I was cramping badly on the run. I realized after the race my cadence was much lower than it should have been during the bike (65-70) which makes me think I was probably in the wrong gear and pushing too hard / tiring my legs out which is why I crashed on the run.

No, this is Canadian Masters swimming nationals that are in Montreal this year.

But since you're one of us, you can join in :-)
2015-04-20 2:50 PM

User image

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Arend,

No, this is Canadian Masters swimming nationals that are in Montreal this year.

But since you're one of us, you can join in :-)

haha, thank you! I appreciate the invitation but respectfully decline. I'll leave the swimming to the swimmers!
2015-04-21 7:43 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag When in your own back yard this is really worth it. Cheaper than other versions out there.

Didn't see this till late last night.  They don't give much info other than price and dates, so I sent them a note last night asking what equipment they'll have on hand, as well as who the fitter is that they're using.  Don't know that I can spring for the money, but it may be too tempting to resist.  I'll see what they come back with.

Louis Garneau was at the track testing a few weeks ago using the system.

2015-04-21 8:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
2015-04-21 9:00 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

No but I'd really like to some day.  It's close enough to you to just scoot down there and do it isn't it?  

2015-04-21 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

No but I'd really like to some day.  It's close enough to you to just scoot down there and do it isn't it?  

It's still a 5-6hr scoot each direction.

I am tempted but I do have some pretty good field testings setups at my disposal and can combine them with actual workouts.

But for a person that has less experience testing I think it's great.

I will actually be testing with a friend at the F1 track in about 10 days.

2015-04-21 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by axteraa

It's still a 5-6hr scoot each direction. I am tempted but I do have some pretty good field testings setups at my disposal and can combine them with actual workouts. But for a person that has less experience testing I think it's great. I will actually be testing with a friend at the F1 track in about 10 days.

Pfffftttttt... people in Texas will drive that far just for good barbeque.

Matt

2015-04-21 1:27 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
, California

I just got added to the Zwift beta.  I'm at work right now so I haven't set anything up yet.  Looks like some modifications to the pain cave will be happening this weekend.

2015-04-21 3:37 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt

Yes, some parts of Texas really are that far from Louisiana.

2015-04-21 4:35 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by TankBoy

Matt

Good barbecue is never too far away....people in Texas WILL drive that far for good crawfish!

2015-04-21 8:32 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Matt

Good barbecue is never too far away....people in Texas WILL drive that far for good crawfish!

Was going to say, how bad is it everywhere that it's necessary to drive 5-6 hrs? 

2015-04-22 8:29 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Matt

Was going to say, how bad is it everywhere that it's necessary to drive 5-6 hrs? 

All kidding aside, I have met people who've driven near that long (and know of a fair number who've flown in from far and wide) to stand in line at Franklin's for 3-4 hours on the chance he'll still be serving when they get to the counter.  It's good and all, but really?  Truth that there's really good Texas BBQ all over the city - BBQ joints are like Dunkin' Donuts in New England!

Me?  I'll only drive that far for a particular beer (the real reason I raced in MI last year was so I could load the truck up with Commodore Perry IPA from Great Lakes Brewery in Cleveland on the way back). 

'Course, a little birdy told me that there is some good IPA available post-race this weekend in Galveston.  Woot!

Matt

2015-04-22 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

'Course, a little birdy told me that there is some good IPA available post-race this weekend in Galveston.  Woot!

I did scope out the beer (IPA) scene -- there are four hoppy beers (three IPA's and a hoppy pale) to choose from.  They aren't my favorite, but they're certainly drinkable.  Definitely beats the Michelob Ultra or whatever low-cal crap beer they always seem to serve after races!

Looks like Matt, Marc, and I are all starting in almost the very last waves (I think 17, 18, and 19 of 20 total!).  Hope you two will wait for me at the finish line, cause I'll be a bit behind you!

Enjoying my taper....only problem is trying to not eat like I'm at peak training volume!

2015-04-22 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I did scope out the beer (IPA) scene -- there are four hoppy beers (three IPA's and a hoppy pale) to choose from.  They aren't my favorite, but they're certainly drinkable.  Definitely beats the Michelob Ultra or whatever low-cal crap beer they always seem to serve after races!

Looks like Matt, Marc, and I are all starting in almost the very last waves (I think 17, 18, and 19 of 20 total!).  Hope you two will wait for me at the finish line, cause I'll be a bit behind you!

Enjoying my taper....only problem is trying to not eat like I'm at peak training volume!

This is farthest back I've started, so I've been thinking a lot about what the ride will be like (not quite worrying, but close).  Anyone done this know if the bike course strings out pretty quickly in an IM branded HIM, or if it'll be a shyte show? 

And **if** I come across the line before you (I do start earlier!), I'll definitely be cheering at the finish line (which I typically do until my voice is hoarse, I need a beer, or both).  Regardless, we should set a time/place to meet up.  There are a few other BTers racing (a couple from the Manatee mentor group and some others), too.  Really looking forward to grabbing a beer with y'all!

Matt

2015-04-23 6:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I haven't raced Galveston before, but once you make it onto the seawall, there are NO turns until you make the u-turn at mile 28.  The road is wide and smooth (with the exception of about 100 feet going up and down the bridge....across the bridge is smooth, just the up/down portions are iffy).  I haven't heard reports of it being a giant draft-fest, but you never know.  Hopefully most people will be racing honestly.

I'm expecting to finish around 5:3X, so I suspect you'll be there a good 30+ minutes before I cross!  Save your voice

I'll shoot you a message with my number.  Definitely will need to meet up, chat, and grab a beer!

2015-04-23 9:27 AM

User image

In case anyone's bored today and feels like reading my race report. Just as a heads up, it's my first one, and I'm definitely not a writer! I'm still working on getting some pictures in there.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2015-04-23 10:54 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag When in your own back yard this is really worth it. Cheaper than other versions out there.

I was in - and now I'm out.  I confirmed one of their last spots, only to check later on with my social coordinator and found out that I had now double booked myself, so I let them know this morning that I had to back out.  Disappointed, but guess I'll have to work harder on the w/kg since I'm not improving the position anytime soon.

2015-04-23 11:23 AM

User image

Pro

Good luck to all of you racing in Galveston this weekend!!!

2015-04-24 11:07 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I obviously haven't finished my first race of the year, but I'm already thinking about the next one and was wanting to get some advice (would love to hear Jason's thoughts especially!).

I'm targeting a 40k TT on June 20th, so only seven weeks after Galveston, but I'm hoping since it's biking (non-impact), I'll be able to jump in pretty quickly and get some good training in.  How many days a week should I ride?  What should these rides look like (time, intensity, etc.)?  I did the same race last year in just under 64 minutes -- would like to improve on that a little (though I'm not delusional....my power is currently down from where it was last year, but hoping with some hard, focused work that this bike focus block could get me back to where I was).

Swim and run will go into maintenance mode (probably swim 2x a week and do short, easy runs 4-5x a week).  Thoughts?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).