BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-04-24 1:51 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Quick thoughts would be to take a good look at what you've been doing the past couple months first. It's likely decent volume plus moderate intensity up to sweet spot for much of the harder work? I'd might get a couple higher intensity VO2 workouts earlier on as soon as I felt ready. Then more working at sweet spot to at threshold and just over. People may vary some there by doing more volume of the sweet spot and trending harder as the race approaches, or starting harder and going longer with it.

I've done well with a couple hard workouts a week, some can do three, but I haven't been able to do it consistently. You can do more riding at an easier effort too. It could be every day if you want, but you'll probably want to put more emphasis on the execution of the harder work as opposed to pushing the highest volume (by any metric).

2015-04-24 2:20 PM

User image

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I obviously haven't finished my first race of the year, but I'm already thinking about the next one and was wanting to get some advice (would love to hear Jason's thoughts especially!).

I'm targeting a 40k TT on June 20th, so only seven weeks after Galveston, but I'm hoping since it's biking (non-impact), I'll be able to jump in pretty quickly and get some good training in.  How many days a week should I ride?  What should these rides look like (time, intensity, etc.)?  I did the same race last year in just under 64 minutes -- would like to improve on that a little (though I'm not delusional....my power is currently down from where it was last year, but hoping with some hard, focused work that this bike focus block could get me back to where I was).

Swim and run will go into maintenance mode (probably swim 2x a week and do short, easy runs 4-5x a week).  Thoughts?

I think you'll be fine with that approach.  40k training isn't that much different from the bike training of a HIM.  Of course it helps if you just ride all the time instead of running and swimming, but you're talking about shaving off the last 75-100 seconds of your potential...not something that will cost you 5-7 minutes.

I have a 40k TT coming up in 2 weeks.  This last part of my build has been VO2 max on Tuesday, 2x20' Thursday, 3 hour Z2 Sat, and a hard 3-4 hour group ride on Sunday.  The rest of the days is just stupid easy commuting...a lot of it in recovery zone...maybe some in lower Z2.  I think substituting my commuting with your 4-5 easy runs and 2 swims wouldn't be a huge issue.

The one thing that might differ is on your long ride.  For HIM training, I'm not sure what type of intensity you are putting in.  HIM race pace...Z3ish?  For a 40k you are probably going to want to mix in some harder efforts.  Doesn't need to be the whole ride, but mix in some threshold or harder efforts.  Hard group rides are great for this.

The biggest battle in a 40k is mental.  It's really about pacing and pain management.  

2015-04-24 4:52 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I actually did a decent amount of VO2 work from mid January to early April.  I got really burned out on all the threshold and sweet spot training last year and felt like I'd stagnated, so I decided to give a totally different "plan" a shot.  I did most of my trainer rides targeting 2 - 5 minute VO2 intervals and then long rides at high HIM / low SS intensities.  

I could probably manage to ride 5x a week with two trainer rides with specific interval targets, a long group ride, and a couple easy Z2 rides.

I would love to execute a TT right on the edge of threshold....I do think managing that mentally is the hardest part -- the idea of being completely spent when I cross the line and needing someone to catch me before I fall off my bike is part of what holds me back for sure!

2015-04-24 5:38 PM

Master
Northern IL

Ok, that sounds like a fair amount of the VO2! I'll clarify the earlier thought a bit in that I'd likely feel ok with that aspect if I could manage to do something like Revolver's 16 x 1'(1') at 120% without too much trouble. Some people neglect this a lot for long course. Don't see a big need to drive it way up in the timeframe given. More making sure it hasn't fallen really flat.

2015-04-25 6:55 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Good luck to the Galveston racers tomorrow!!

2015-04-25 8:24 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Do we have race numbers??

2015-04-26 5:05 AM
in reply to: #5079829

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Nicole is 328. I'm 2357. Not sure what Marc's is.

Anyone from the U racing outside of Galveston? I've been admittedly preoccupied with that particular race.
2015-04-26 5:11 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5 Nicole is 328. I'm 2357. Not sure what Marc's is. Anyone from the U racing outside of Galveston? I've been admittedly preoccupied with that particular race.

Marc is 167

2015-04-26 5:28 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Awesome - got IronTrac locked and loaded, now let's just hope Ironman live splits are working. Looks like they will have 1 intermediary bike split at 28 miles and 12 (TWELVE!) run splits - awesome! I was supposed to race yesterday, but had to travel over the last few days to attend a funeral. So instead of having a post-race recovery day I am headed up to the mountains to do do a little climbing. Good luck racers - can't wait to follow!
2015-04-26 5:46 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Good luck out there Nicole, Matt And Marc!

Be safe and crush it!
2015-04-26 7:34 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Good luck racers! Did my last mega-brick today (3:30 bike, 50 minute run) before IM Vietnam 70.3 in two weeks. Ran into one of the race organizers (thankfully, not literally) while riding this morning. Starting to get nervous. Pretty sure I can handle the swim, bike okay as long as no flat tires (it is a two-loop course and looks like the kind of stuff I train on--flat, boring, and somewhat windy, so I should be set), but still not sure I'm going to survive the run (or if anyone else will). I've deliberately not been starting my bricks too early, so I'm finishing the run between 11 and noon, but in the race, it'll be more like 12-1 PM (even with an ideal race), and it'll be 21 km, not the 10 km or so I usually do after the bike. Temps today were in the triple digits on my run. Ugh. Earning the username.

Just can't bring myself to do a 21 km run after the bike in training here (did do one 10km run/70 km bike/10 km run though), as I think it would take too long to recover from, and I'm actually a bit afraid to do it without medical support--if I became too overheated and disoriented to get home, for example. Started to wonder about this after a long brick a few years ago where I spent the whole run obsessing about how I could have an iced Coke despite the fact that stores here don't sell ice......never thinking about the ten or so fast food outlets within a quarter mile of my house that offer the stuff, or that I had money in my hydration pack. Gotta wonder about cooking my brain! Hoping that drink stops en route and those cold sponges make a big difference.

My fastest AG rival in SE Asia will be there, of course. She trains in Singapore, so is used to it too. If past races are any indication, I'm probably doomed if she races well, but I can beat her if she has a bad day. Anything's possible, I guess, particularly in those conditions and in a race of that distance!

2015-04-26 12:41 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Just got in from my bike and checked on our racers. Matt is KILLING it - just a couple of miles to go on the run and should be in around 4:40. Marc is moving well and is tickling a sub 5 hour race as well. Nicole is nice and steady and clicking off sub-10 minute miles one after the other. Go, Go, Go SBRU team - the beer is awaiting!
2015-04-26 1:23 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Great work guys!

Matt is in with 4:49:31, Marc went 4:58:56 and Nicole has about 3 miles to go!

2015-04-26 2:15 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

5:39:17 for Nicole!  Great job everyone, I hope the beer is tasty (and cold!).

2015-04-26 2:44 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Congrats Matt, Marc and Nicole! Enjoy that post race beer.
2015-04-26 7:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
hey !!!

thanks for following.

The best part of the race was the beer. The worst part was the run.

I was happy to see Matt have a great race overall and Nicole a great run along with a good swim&bike.

While my race was far from stellar it was a good first step for the season and a clear indication of what needs works.

Please please please be no snow on the ground when I get back.

2015-04-26 8:10 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Really was a good time!  The swim was non-wetsuit legal (wetsuit optional) for the first time ever -- that's what happens when they have to push the race back by a few weeks!  I "broke" the zipper on my wetsuit last weekend and was mildly stressed about it, but turned out to be a non-issue (borrowed a wetsuit and turned out to be not legal....optional wave was pretty huge though!).

My training was not entirely ideal, but I managed to hit my expected paces for the most part....run was a little slower than I'd expected / was hoping for, but turned out that I actually gained four spots on it, which is completely unheard of for me, so I'm really excited about it!

Got to share a couple beers with Marc and Matt after the race, and heading out for a few days of wine tasting and relaxing with my mom tomorrow

2015-04-26 9:26 PM

User image

Seattle
Great racing Marc, Nicole and Matt!
2015-04-26 9:38 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Awesome time! I'd be really happy with that. (And with avoiding spontaneous combustion on the run.)
2015-04-27 4:07 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Really was a good time!  The swim was non-wetsuit legal (wetsuit optional) for the first time ever -- that's what happens when they have to push the race back by a few weeks!  I "broke" the zipper on my wetsuit last weekend and was mildly stressed about it, but turned out to be a non-issue (borrowed a wetsuit and turned out to be not legal....optional wave was pretty huge though!).

My training was not entirely ideal, but I managed to hit my expected paces for the most part....run was a little slower than I'd expected / was hoping for, but turned out that I actually gained four spots on it, which is completely unheard of for me, so I'm really excited about it!

Got to share a couple beers with Marc and Matt after the race, and heading out for a few days of wine tasting and relaxing with my mom tomorrow

um, er, you are going to have time to write a race report, right?

2015-04-27 4:12 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Hot Runner Good luck racers! Did my last mega-brick today (3:30 bike, 50 minute run) before IM Vietnam 70.3 in two weeks. Ran into one of the race organizers (thankfully, not literally) while riding this morning. Starting to get nervous. Pretty sure I can handle the swim, bike okay as long as no flat tires (it is a two-loop course and looks like the kind of stuff I train on--flat, boring, and somewhat windy, so I should be set), but still not sure I'm going to survive the run (or if anyone else will). I've deliberately not been starting my bricks too early, so I'm finishing the run between 11 and noon, but in the race, it'll be more like 12-1 PM (even with an ideal race), and it'll be 21 km, not the 10 km or so I usually do after the bike. Temps today were in the triple digits on my run. Ugh. Earning the username. Just can't bring myself to do a 21 km run after the bike in training here (did do one 10km run/70 km bike/10 km run though), as I think it would take too long to recover from, and I'm actually a bit afraid to do it without medical support--if I became too overheated and disoriented to get home, for example. Started to wonder about this after a long brick a few years ago where I spent the whole run obsessing about how I could have an iced Coke despite the fact that stores here don't sell ice......never thinking about the ten or so fast food outlets within a quarter mile of my house that offer the stuff, or that I had money in my hydration pack. Gotta wonder about cooking my brain! Hoping that drink stops en route and those cold sponges make a big difference. My fastest AG rival in SE Asia will be there, of course. She trains in Singapore, so is used to it too. If past races are any indication, I'm probably doomed if she races well, but I can beat her if she has a bad day. Anything's possible, I guess, particularly in those conditions and in a race of that distance!

50 minutes of the bike sounds like plenty - no way I would ever feel compelled to run the race distance in a training session, no matter what the weather conditions. You are going to do great!

2015-04-27 7:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TankBoy

Rusty, quick question :

what do like about race reports ? I have mixed feelings on them.

In some ways I think they are good for the author to force them to think back on their race.

But do you find value in them from a reader's perspective ?

I used to write them but stopped. I do write notes after every race that I just keep on my laptop for consultation.

What do others think ?
2015-04-27 7:42 AM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag

Rusty, quick question : what do like about race reports ? I have mixed feelings on them. In some ways I think they are good for the author to force them to think back on their race. But do you find value in them from a reader's perspective ? I used to write them but stopped. I do write notes after every race that I just keep on my laptop for consultation. What do others think ?

All of your questions seem related to research and data points. A lot of people like them to connect with others. The story part of it. Many people enjoy the connection of being being able to follow along even though they weren't actually there.

2015-04-27 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Absolutely!

I like writing race reports because I like to read back through them before racing (I re-read all of my 70.3's last weekend in prep for this race and remembered some fun / funny / interesting / stressful moments and things that worked or didn't work.  I also like to write them so I can get feedback from others on things I'm struggling with (and have gotten some really helpful advice in the past).  I don't write them to get a bunch of "attagirl"s, but so that I can help myself for future races.

I also really enjoy reading other race reports because it gives me an insight into what was going through their mind, what went well for them (and how maybe I can use that to do well in the future) and what didn't go so well (so I can avoid trying that!).  To be honest, BT for me consists of the mentor groups and race reports.....I don't read too much otherwise. 

2015-04-27 7:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by marcag

Rusty, quick question : what do like about race reports ? I have mixed feelings on them. In some ways I think they are good for the author to force them to think back on their race. But do you find value in them from a reader's perspective ? I used to write them but stopped. I do write notes after every race that I just keep on my laptop for consultation. What do others think ?

All of your questions seem related to research and data points. A lot of people like them to connect with others. The story part of it. Many people enjoy the connection of being being able to follow along even though they weren't actually there.

so kind of a break down of what was happening, what you were thinking.....so they can see if it relates to what they do or could do ?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).