Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-06-28 8:35 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR "U"
Ok, and I will ask what everyone else wants to know but is too polite to ask: how is that beautiful, beautiful Time Machine? Hopefully you had the foresight to throw your body between the ground and it?

2015-06-28 9:20 PM

User image

Originally posted by TankBoyOk, and I will ask what everyone else wants to know but is too polite to ask: how is that beautiful, beautiful Time Machine? Hopefully you had the foresight to throw your body between the ground and it?
LOL. I seriously have no idea, even where it is. The race had someone pick the bIke up and the friend that I drove up with drove my car home, while wendy came up to meet me here (about 1.5 hours from home) This was sort of my worst nightmare come true, as it w as my first true crash on blood thinners. I basically vaulted over the bike and my head hit the ground pretty hard so I was trying not to freak out about the possibility of a brain bleed.
2015-06-28 9:30 PM

User image

Originally posted by TankBoyOk, and I will ask what everyone else wants to know but is too polite to ask: how is that beautiful, beautiful Time Machine? Hopefully you had the foresight to throw your body between the ground and it?
LOL. I seriously have no idea, even where it is. The race had someone pick the bIke up and the friend that I drove up with drove my car home, while wendy came up to meet me here (about 1.5 hours from home) This was sort of my worst nightmare come true, as it w as my first true crash on blood thinners. I basically vaulted over the bike and my head hit the ground pretty hard so I was trying not to freak out about the possibility of a brain bleed.
2015-06-29 3:49 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Aww cr@p Chris, that sucks!    I hope you heal up soon but take your time and don't rush things!

2015-06-29 5:26 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by ChrisM

ugh Chris - seriously glad you faired as well as you did, all things considered. That must have been a really tough drive for Wendy to make. How are you doing today? Still on target to be released tomorrow I hope?

2015-06-29 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Wow, Chris. I hope that you heal up soon, but just wow.  It looks like you are hurtin for certain. 

2015-06-29 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM Well, I joined The Club today. About 12 miles info the bike in today's Olympic a rider about 20 feet in front of me and to the left ran straight into one of those ltitle metal a frames marking something, not exactly sure what. And it all happened in slow motion. Did that guy (who I know and respect) really just hit that? Is he really going down? Is his bike sliding into my path? On the brakes, can I get around it?

Unfortunately, all the answers were yes-except for the last one. My last thought was "crap, thats a nice looking bike I'm going to hit. Went over and landed squarely on my left side. 3 broken ribs, broken clavicle, and a pneumothorax requiring a chest tube. Been a very painful day to say the least, and will be in hospital until at least Tuesday because eof the chest tube.

And pardon my french but holy f@$ing cr@p this hurts like hell......

Ugh, that sucks!  You looked to be in pretty good spirits in the photo you posted on fb (probably thanks to some morphine!)....wishing you a very speedy recovery!

I have two other friends (ironically, both named Chris) who both a clavicle (right one in both cases, I believe) in bike accidents....both have come back stronger than before.  Like Rusty said, do what the pros tell you and you'll be on the mend soon.  Let's make a deal and call this the end of your crappy race period....it's time for a bit of good karma to come your way!

2015-06-29 9:12 AM

User image

Pro
NJ

Chris, sorry to hear about your crash and injuries. Hoping you have a speedy and complete recovery. 

2015-06-29 2:50 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

Master
, California

Just got back from Coeur d'Alene.  Crazy weekend.  I went to the start line but when they kept it a full IM, I decided not to race.  It was a lot of misery out there, except maybe for Andy Potts who finished before it got REALLY hot out.

2015-06-29 2:52 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Rusty keeps saying he'll do this race one day...so here's my report to keep nudging him along.  

2015 Cycle to the Sun

2015-06-29 2:54 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Originally posted by spudone

Just got back from Coeur d'Alene.  Crazy weekend.  I went to the start line but when they kept it a full IM, I decided not to race.  It was a lot of misery out there, except maybe for Andy Potts who finished before it got REALLY hot out.

Good for you to make a decision that had your best interests in mind.  People do IM for different reasons...and some of them include people that find accomplishment with finishing at all costs.  I tend to think that while sometimes som HTFU is necessary, it still needs to be fun.  A lot of misery doesn't seem fun to me.

2015-06-29 2:57 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

Rusty keeps saying he'll do this race one day...so here's my report to keep nudging him along.  

2015 Cycle to the Sun

He also likes pictures.

2015-06-29 2:57 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by ChrisM Well, I joined The Club today. About 12 miles info the bike in today's Olympic a rider about 20 feet in front of me and to the left ran straight into one of those ltitle metal a frames marking something, not exactly sure what. And it all happened in slow motion. Did that guy (who I know and respect) really just hit that? Is he really going down? Is his bike sliding into my path? On the brakes, can I get around it?

Unfortunately, all the answers were yes-except for the last one. My last thought was "crap, thats a nice looking bike I'm going to hit. Went over and landed squarely on my left side. 3 broken ribs, broken clavicle, and a pneumothorax requiring a chest tube. Been a very painful day to say the least, and will be in hospital until at least Tuesday because eof the chest tube.

And pardon my french but holy f@$ing cr@p this hurts like hell......

Oh man! I am so sorry to hear that! That is intense!!!!

Sheesh. I am so glad you are, well, alive. Ugh. Hopefully the recovery is as speedy as possible. 

2015-06-29 2:59 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Seattle

Yikes. I heard it got to 118 or something crazy? My coworkers nephew kicked some azz (somehow) ended up something like 6th in his AG? And of course, was over an hour slower than he thought he would be due to the heat. Crazy stuff. 

2015-06-29 3:03 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

So, I did something crazy. I rode my bike! And not just the MTB but the road bike! Of course I was only riding it because we had an offsite BBQ and it was too far to run. Oh, and beer

Also, I ran a portion of the PCT up to the katwalk. It's a portion of the trail they had to create by blasting the sheer granite face with dynamite. 

2015-06-29 4:42 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Good for you to make a decision that had your best interests in mind.  People do IM for different reasons...and some of them include people that find accomplishment with finishing at all costs.  I tend to think that while sometimes som HTFU is necessary, it still needs to be fun.  A lot of misery doesn't seem fun to me.

Agreed, sounds like a wise decision to me too.  I'd have a pretty hard time making the same one myself!  

2015-06-29 5:11 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Agreed, sounds like a wise decision to me too.  I'd have a pretty hard time making the same one myself!  

Don't know if I would have gone of not, but definitely would not have tried to race. Battling that kind of heat is not fun.

2015-06-29 10:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Agreed, I'd like to think I would have dns'd as well in those conditions.

in my other news, I was only partially accurate. Wasn't 3 broken ribs but 7 all on the left (of 12)

2015-06-30 5:58 AM

User image

Originally posted by Asalzwed

So, I did something crazy. I rode my bike! And not just the MTB but the road bike! Of course I was only riding it because we had an offsite BBQ and it was too far to run. Oh, and beer

Also, I ran a portion of the PCT up to the katwalk. It's a portion of the trail they had to create by blasting the sheer granite face with dynamite. 

I thought you were going to say you rode that trail. ..eek!
2015-06-30 6:01 AM

User image

Originally posted by TankBoy

ugh Chris - seriously glad you faired as well as you did, all things considered. That must have been a really tough drive for Wendy to make. How are you doing today? Still on target to be released tomorrow I hope?

Well see. I broke most of the ribs on my left side and, while I've been through worse pain, never this constant. Plus this morning I had the first "where am I and why am I in so much pain" wake ups. Running a bit of a fever so unless thst breaks looks like I might be riding the gurney a bit longer.
2015-06-30 7:49 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

...it was too far to run.

what - was it like 300 miles away or something?

Seriously, that looks like one awesome place to run, Salty!

2015-06-30 7:54 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by TankBoy

Well see. I broke most of the ribs on my left side and, while I've been through worse pain, never this constant. Plus this morning I had the first "where am I and why am I in so much pain" wake ups. Running a bit of a fever so unless thst breaks looks like I might be riding the gurney a bit longer.

Hang in there Chris, and keep us posted. Is the hospital 1.5 hours from home? Is Wendy or anyone else able to stay with you?

2015-06-30 8:21 AM

User image

Thanks Rusty, Wendy came up Sunday and stayed in a hotel. Last night, and if I have to stay, she drove up to my mom's whose about an hour north. These things are really hard on her too
2015-06-30 8:26 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Jason - just got the chance to finally read your race report, and as always, it sounds like it was a great day, and managed very well on your end. One of these days though you are going to have to knuckle down, get your skinny on, and REALLY see what you can do here - I am sure you could destroy it. I really would like to give this race a whirl one day, although it sounds like one that really takes some time to nail down. I love the fact that you can see so far up the road, and that you know so many of the other racers and exactly what they are capable of. It seems you have definitely figured out how to ride it according to your style. Interested to read that you let HR govern your effort in the early going rather than power. Was that just because your HR was higher than normal at the beginning, or was that always part of the plan? On long, mulit-hour efforts I have found just the opposite for me: power dictates the first hour or so (as a limiter, just to keep me settled down when I am feeling fresh) and then I gradually switch over to pure HR over the next hour or so.

2015-06-30 8:35 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Yeah, Chris - that really is the worst, isn't it? When I went down hard a few weeks ago it was right in front of Jennifer and she saw the whole thing up close. While I was happy she was the first person I saw when I looked up, I also really hated finding that out afterward. Although it didn't keep her from making s little fun of me for how cautiously I came in to T2 this past weekend - she said I looked a little nervous and was surprised I didn't do a hot rolling dismount. I told her I was irrationally scared to death and almost didn't even take my feet out if my shoes first. It always takes me a little while to shake the post-crash jitters. You would think I would be used to it by now - ha-ha!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).