in reply to: ratherbeswimming

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Asalzwed

What about Timbits though? 

Timbits are ok if someone brings them to a meeting.

Had to google that one. Munchkins. 

Be careful googling strange words these guys use. Doesn't always turn out so pleasant. Or anything resembling pleasant.

2015-05-21 4:49 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by Asalzwed

What about Timbits though? 

Timbits are ok if someone brings them to a meeting.

Had to google that one. Munchkins. 

Be careful googling strange words these guys use. Doesn't always turn out so pleasant. Or anything resembling pleasant.

Safe search is on at work

The danger of this one is that now I want a donut.

2015-05-22 4:26 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Roe Mt. Mitchell for the third year in a row on Monday. Nothing to terribly exciting or interesting to report, but I did anyway here.

I kinda already knew it as the folk I ride with comment on it, but the pictures do confirm that I seem to climb while in the drops an awful lot. Probably the only thing I have in common with poor Marco Pantani.

2015-05-22 5:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
So I did another 15km TT last night.

Power was good at 302w. I only managed 40.4km/h (25.25mph).
I say only because I was hoping for a bit better. It was "brutal cross wind (23mph guts), then straight into that wind, then backwind, then return to side wind.

I have to do the math the see the role of that cross/front wind.

But I was 2min faster on the same power from the rubbing wheel.

Green line is speed. I was moving along with the cross wind at about 43km/h (27mph), hit the head wind and it drops to 34 (21mph), do a turn around, and I have a great tail wind at 50km/h (30mph) and then back to a cross windt 38km/h (24mph)

Edited by marcag 2015-05-22 5:49 AM

(Screenshot 2015-05-22 06.33.46.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot 2015-05-22 06.33.46.png (57KB - 1 downloads)
2015-05-22 7:15 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy

Roe Mt. Mitchell for the third year in a row on Monday. Nothing to terribly exciting or interesting to report, but I did anyway here.

I kinda already knew it as the folk I ride with comment on it, but the pictures do confirm that I seem to climb while in the drops an awful lot. Probably the only thing I have in common with poor Marco Pantani.

Rusty, how come your elevation gained is like 5,000 ft more than the mountain actually is? You guys really have that much trouble finding your way up?

Edited by brigby1 2015-05-22 7:29 AM
2015-05-24 4:07 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Road race today - 5 x 12k laps, fairly flat but stupid windy.  First lap was a hammerfest with constant attacks by the stronger riders.  I hung on for that one lap (almost) and then I was off.  Caught back up to another guy who was spit off the back and we did a lap and a bit together but somewhere along the line he fell off and I rode the rest of the race on my own.  Finished 2nd in my division behind one guy who managed to hang with the strong guys (the kid that ran the two 16:30 5ks last weekend).  AP 248w / NP 262w.  First lap was 258 / 294.

Good times - I'll probably hurt tomorrow.  

2015-05-25 5:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Road race today - 5 x 12k laps, fairly flat but stupid windy.  First lap was a hammerfest with constant attacks by the stronger riders.  I hung on for that one lap (almost) and then I was off.  Caught back up to another guy who was spit off the back and we did a lap and a bit together but somewhere along the line he fell off and I rode the rest of the race on my own.  Finished 2nd in my division behind one guy who managed to hang with the strong guys (the kid that ran the two 16:30 5ks last weekend).  AP 248w / NP 262w.  First lap was 258 / 294.

Very cool. Do you find the new fit much different ?

Edited by marcag 2015-05-25 5:53 AM
2015-05-25 6:00 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag

Very cool. Do you find the new fit much different ?

It's more comfortable, primarily in my lower back, but my road bike fit didn't change very much.  My saddle moved back a tiny bit and I had to put on a longer (130mm) stem.  Even with that, I don't have quite enough reach.  He told me the reach I need would probably be an issue on many road bikes.

2015-05-25 6:24 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
It's more comfortable, primarily in my lower back

What do you think are the big changes that helped your lower back ?
2015-05-25 6:27 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by axteraa It's more comfortable, primarily in my lower back
What do you think are the big changes that helped your lower back ?

The extra reach.  I think I was scrunched up before with too much curve in my low back.  It was still tight at the end of the race but a lot better than it has been in the past.

2015-05-25 9:53 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Back from vacation (limited wifi) and need to catch up...

First race in 3 weeks and feeling a bit under prepared.  Going to be interesting to see how an early season HIM goes vs a late season since that's all I've ever done.

2015-05-26 7:41 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Actually I'd prefer to have my longest race early--build a strong base and then spend the rest of the season focusing on speed. That was the concept for last year and this year, but it hasn't quite worked out.....

I am really starting to think I am cursed-- Out of six tri's I've done in the past two years (I don't race very often, due to logistics/cost of travel from here, mainly), I have been sick for three, and injured (non training related accident) for one. It's getting ridiculous. In all three cases (and actually another, the same race as the first one, one year before), I get sick during taper. I rarely get sick at other times, maybe 2-3 colds a year, which is way below the average for elementary teachers, so it's not like I'm sickly. Each time, the "taper" illness is always the worst of the year, with bronchitis, asthma, horrid sinus headaches, etc. I swear it's even the same virus, as symptoms progress in avery similar way. The only commonality I can find is that in each case, it's a spring race, and was preceded by at least a week of taper. Yes, I take care in that time to get extra rest, eat clean, avoid exposure to crowds and sick people, even take extra Vitamin C....

I've entered another HIM in July simply because I really, really want to know what I can do at that distance when not sick (or running in triple digit heat), but I'll be honest--at times it's almost gotten to the point where I think, "Why bother training or paying to enter a race? No matter how well my training goes, I'll just get sick a few days before anyway." I know that's self-defeating, but four out of six? What am I doing wrong?? Any good ideas on taper?
2015-05-26 9:12 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by Hot Runner Actually I'd prefer to have my longest race early--build a strong base and then spend the rest of the season focusing on speed. That was the concept for last year and this year, but it hasn't quite worked out..... I am really starting to think I am cursed-- Out of six tri's I've done in the past two years (I don't race very often, due to logistics/cost of travel from here, mainly), I have been sick for three, and injured (non training related accident) for one. It's getting ridiculous. In all three cases (and actually another, the same race as the first one, one year before), I get sick during taper. I rarely get sick at other times, maybe 2-3 colds a year, which is way below the average for elementary teachers, so it's not like I'm sickly. Each time, the "taper" illness is always the worst of the year, with bronchitis, asthma, horrid sinus headaches, etc. I swear it's even the same virus, as symptoms progress in avery similar way. The only commonality I can find is that in each case, it's a spring race, and was preceded by at least a week of taper. Yes, I take care in that time to get extra rest, eat clean, avoid exposure to crowds and sick people, even take extra Vitamin C.... I've entered another HIM in July simply because I really, really want to know what I can do at that distance when not sick (or running in triple digit heat), but I'll be honest--at times it's almost gotten to the point where I think, "Why bother training or paying to enter a race? No matter how well my training goes, I'll just get sick a few days before anyway." I know that's self-defeating, but four out of six? What am I doing wrong?? Any good ideas on taper?

Just a guess ...... but have you considered that you may be overtraining? especially with regard to intensity?  IIRC you were a very competitive athlete in your high school and college career; and you know how to train hard and suffer. Perhaps easing up intensity a bit will help. Of course, adding all the caveats re adequate sleep, nutrition etc. it sounds like youre just wearing yourself down.  it may not be the taper but rather the timing of coming off an intense training cycle. I don't really know enough about periodization to comment so perhaps others can offer more scientific perspective. 

2015-05-26 3:14 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner Actually I'd prefer to have my longest race early--build a strong base and then spend the rest of the season focusing on speed. That was the concept for last year and this year, but it hasn't quite worked out..... I am really starting to think I am cursed-- Out of six tri's I've done in the past two years (I don't race very often, due to logistics/cost of travel from here, mainly), I have been sick for three, and injured (non training related accident) for one. It's getting ridiculous. In all three cases (and actually another, the same race as the first one, one year before), I get sick during taper. I rarely get sick at other times, maybe 2-3 colds a year, which is way below the average for elementary teachers, so it's not like I'm sickly. Each time, the "taper" illness is always the worst of the year, with bronchitis, asthma, horrid sinus headaches, etc. I swear it's even the same virus, as symptoms progress in avery similar way. The only commonality I can find is that in each case, it's a spring race, and was preceded by at least a week of taper. Yes, I take care in that time to get extra rest, eat clean, avoid exposure to crowds and sick people, even take extra Vitamin C.... I've entered another HIM in July simply because I really, really want to know what I can do at that distance when not sick (or running in triple digit heat), but I'll be honest--at times it's almost gotten to the point where I think, "Why bother training or paying to enter a race? No matter how well my training goes, I'll just get sick a few days before anyway." I know that's self-defeating, but four out of six? What am I doing wrong?? Any good ideas on taper?

A possibility that was mentioned elsewhere (and might go along some with Kim's) is that you may be pushing quite a bit in the peak weeks and the trouble isn't manifesting until the taper. Are the peak weeks bigger or harder than your more normal year round training? This is more to get an idea of what we're looking at.

Also thought the first sentence was a bit interesting even though it may not relate to the issue. The "base" is more a solid base of fitness as opposed to just volume. So raising everything up and then the race build will put in a nice bump of race specific fitness off of that base. How does that fit in with what you meant?

2015-05-26 5:28 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Maybe it is the training rather than taper.... I do build gradually to peak weeks, especially in terms of volume of long run/ride and adding intensity with run/bike. (The latter is what I meant by "base"--gradually building both volume and intensity and general fitness.) Once there I tend to hold a fairly consistent volume for quite a while. I feel like I handled the training for this HIM better than my last one. For that one, I had a tendency to recover more slowly from my long bricks. I think I hadn't really worked out nutrition/hydration for them and was digging myself into a hole and sometimes spent Monday feeling yuck. One thing I haven't really done is incorporate recovery weeks. I did do some weeks with lower volume, though, due to other demands on my time such as travel with students where I couldn't train anyway, so I make those into recovery weeks. I also haven't done many days off, although again, I let them happen if needed. Monday is always a swim-only day, no bike or run.

It can be challenging for me to know if I'm overtraining. I don't usually have signs like elevated morning pulse rate (I do check that), sleep difficulties, craving sweets, etc. etc. It's rare for me to be sore for more than a few hours after ANY workout (only races). When I was younger it was the same way--we had to fill out forms with all kinds of things that should have indicated if we were overtraining and my indicators are never there until I actually DO get sick. I think my response to training is not normal in some way--coaches always accused me of not working hard enough, or lying, because I wasn't sore the next day. But I wasn't. Often I actually feel better the day after a hard workout than after a day off. Only other thing I can think of is that I have pretty nasty allergies and spring is our peak allergy season. I don't think the illnesses are allergies but maybe I mistake early signs of illness for allergy symptoms and keep training when I shouldn't? It sounds stupid but sometimes I cannot tell. My usual sign that it's a cold is a sore throat but this particular virus starts very slowly with mild congestion which could be mistaken for allergies/asthma.

Maybe I just train too hard for my age (45)? I really don't know. All I know is that I generally feel good....until I taper. Where would I take the training off? Biking. which is my weakness? Running, because in theory, I should be a good runner? Or swimming because I'm usually #1 or 2 in my AG, even when sick (though my volume is not that high already)? Less volume, or less intensity? My first thought would be run speed work, not least because it's not that appealing in a tropical climate and the heat stress probably adds a lot to training stress, and, to be honest, if I could have just held my normal brick run pace for that race, I could have been #1 or 2 A in my AG and maybe gone to World Championships.
2015-05-26 7:08 PM

Master
, California

I'd lean towards bad luck as the explanation.  But have you considered doing a long taper (typical for IM is 3 weeks).  It wouldn't impact your performance.  And if you really do tend to get sick soon after taper, you'd have more time to get well before the race.

2015-05-26 7:44 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
That was the rationale for the two-week taper this time. Maybe three's the magic number??
2015-05-26 8:00 PM

Master
, California

Another thing I was wondering: do you do any open water swims in training?  How soon before races?  Maybe something in the water is getting you sick?

2015-05-27 3:58 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I guess there's a small possibility it's water-related. One of the three times, my symptoms began a few days after OWS in Singapore. But it's a beach where I've raced and swum at other times with no ill effects. In two of the three cases (due to school break), I had done a few workouts at my gym pool rather than the school facility I usually use. But again, I swim there at other times for recovery/recreation with no ill effects, and so do many others.

Also possible there is another environmental component, either natural or pollution. Each time I get this particular illness, it starts with a passing burning sensation in my throat/bronchial tubes during or right after a long bike ride. Different than a normal cold, which would be a sore throat. My long rides (the only traffic-free place to do them) are in a light industrial park. No smokestacks, but it occasionally does get the odd smell, so chemical exposure is possible. Spring is also peak allergy season here, and the end of dry season, so it's dustier than normal, everything that can flower is doing so, and field/rubbish burning seems to be a national pastime.

I did go to a doctor the first time I had these symptoms and she couldn't find anything definite, beyond the fact that my throat was very swollen and I was congested and having severe asthma attacks. My temperature and blood counts were borderline, and I tested negative for strep and flu. She said it was either allergies, a virus, or some combo, probably not bacterial, so she just treated symptoms. I remember her saying that she gets lots of patients at this time of year with similar symptoms, most with a history of asthma/allergies, with similar ambiguous exams. So either something environmental that affects vulnerable people more severely, a seasonally prevalent virus that does the same, or some combo thereof.

The get sick during taper thing rarely happens when I am in the U.S. I used to get sick with respiratory viruses a LOT more year-round when I was younger and even up to my mid-30's, but only once before a big race that I can recall. Oddly, I've had a lot fewer asthma/allergy issues since moving to Vietnam and especially since taking up triathlon, except before races!
2015-05-27 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hot Runner
I don't usually have signs like elevated morning pulse rate (I do check that),

You should try monitoring HRV

2015-05-27 7:57 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Marc - I liked your comment for the IM Nice guy.  At this point I can't tell if he's very poorly informed, stupid, or having a good laugh while he posts.

2015-05-27 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
What's HRV? Googled it but what it says doesn't seem to make much sense as a training/recovery metric, nor easily measurable. I do use HR for my harder runs/rides and long rides, mainly to ensure that I don't exceed the intended zone for the workout and/or get overheated. I back off the pace if I exceed the HR zone I'm aiming for, so I'm probably training at slower paces than I would in more moderate conditions. HR can be hard to use as a training metric in tropical conditions, as heat causes a lot of upward drift at the same RPE/pace, regardless of one's state of health or recovery. It would be normal for my HR to drift upward 20-25 BPM, for example, when doing an easy run/ride at a steady pace in conditions where the heat index is over 100, even when perfectly healthy and rested. That drift isn't nearly as much in cooler temps. Not sure how I would distinguish this from variability caused by poor recovery or oncoming illness without a lot of baseline data.

Also wondering what role heat itself plays in all of this. We talk about training "stress". Heat's not training, but it's an additional stress on the body. Not sure how one would quantify that or whether it might contribute to recovery or susceptibility to illness.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-05-27 8:25 AM
2015-05-27 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hot Runner

What's HRV? Googled it but what it says doesn't seem to make much sense as a training/recovery metric, nor easily measurable. I do use HR for my harder runs/rides and long rides, mainly to ensure that I don't exceed the intended zone for the workout and/or get overheated.

http://www.myithlete.com/what-is-hrv

is probably the best explanation of it.

you take readings in the morning and It is used to detect over-training and fatigue

It requires an iphone, a $5 app and a bluetooth HR strap.

Edited by marcag 2015-05-27 9:45 AM
2015-05-27 10:50 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Trying to catch up on my race reports.

Here is the China Point Duathlon from a couple of weekends ago.

2015-05-27 10:56 AM

User image

Seattle

Did you all see my bike p0rn? ME, bike...I know, crazy!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).