BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-03-01 10:36 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Subject: RE: SBR "U"
Good work Jason. That's a lot of climbing

Had my last long run today, 22 miles with nearly 2600 feet. Normally would have backed off by now with the marathon in just under two weeks but with the injury we pushed it out a little further. Enjoy the running but think I'd enjoy 2 hour runs more than the 3+ I've been doing. Looking forward to getting on the bike more

2015-03-02 2:42 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by kcarroll

My bike has been inside on the trainer since...forever. I'm going to blame the dog/cat shedding but I had to clean my chain/cassette this weekend. It was filthy. Not road grime filthy but dirty enough. And since no one's b*tched about the weather in at least a page, the bottle of chain cleaner (stored in the garage) was frozen solid. On the upside, I felt faster with a clean bike.  

I always have dog fur wrapped around all the moving parts and stuck to the spokes by the end of the winter.  I've tried to be a bit better of keeping it clean this year.

2015-03-02 2:50 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Jason and Chris, those are two big climbing days, nice work!

2015-03-02 9:44 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

I'll take my day over Chris' any day.  I've never done a 22 mile raining run before...and never a run with more than 500 feet of gain.

2015-03-02 12:31 PM

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

I'll take my day over Chris' any day.  I've never done a 22 mile raining run before...and never a run with more than 500 feet of gain.

The marathon has a reported 4000 feet...   I have to say, I much prefer running hilly trails than flat courses.   Changes up the muscle groups more often I think, and makes me feel better about my slow splits  

2015-03-02 3:35 PM

User image

I was just sort of going down memory lane here, remembering  a post I made over 10 years ago, about how much I hated running, so I went back and found it.   Just a reminder of where I came from running wise, I was 242 pounds and just starting out running

Everything about that person from a running perspective is now different

This is the post, and below the url is the logged workout

Running Sux

RUN

• 31m 05s
  • 2.20 miles
  • 14m 06s /Mi

Got out and actually ran on the beach path.... MUCH harder than on the treadmill... how demoralizing

2015-03-02 5:23 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by ChrisM

I was just sort of going down memory lane here, remembering  a post I made over 10 years ago, about how much I hated running, so I went back and found it.   Just a reminder of where I came from running wise, I was 242 pounds and just starting out running

Running Sux

RUN

• 31m 05s
  • 2.20 miles
  • 14m 06s /Mi

Got out and actually ran on the beach path.... MUCH harder than on the treadmill... how demoralizing

Awesome. Jason, see, that could be you!

I love reflecting back on this stuff. It's only been about 3 years since I really started running but sometimes I forget exactly how hard it was in the beginning. I too was much heavier. I think maybe 30-35 lbs? 

Crazy good stuff!

2015-03-02 6:36 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

LOL.

I actually don't mind running as much as I say I do.  I do enjoy running when everything is going great.  When fitness is high, joints are conditioned, and I can do easy runs in the 8:30-8:45 range.  It's not to say that pace is "fast," just that it's the pace where I actually feel like I'm running and not shuffling my feet.  

What I don't miss though is training for the run in terms of races.  Too much of a grind for me either on the border of injury and just overall pounding.  I'm slowly trying to run a little bit here and there with the hopes of building back up to the point where I can do a nice 3-4 mile run...feel like I'm running...and not have to worry about injury or sore legs. 

2015-03-03 8:11 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Running Sux

RUN

• 31m 05s
  • 2.20 miles
  • 14m 06s /Mi

One of the first things I ever wrote in my training logs (before BT) was how much I hate running.  Felt lousy, I was slow, out of breath easily, etc.  Of course it turned out to be where I'm strongest as  a Triathlete.

Still not sure I'm ready to tackle the training for a marathon, it seems like a daunting task, and in the 6 years I've been doing this I still haven't done a run over 25km.  Plus, if I do one it would be to do well - even though I know the collective wisdom is that you likely need 1-2 of them under your belt before you understand how your body handles the distance.

2015-03-03 11:13 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by GoFaster

Running Sux

RUN

• 31m 05s
  • 2.20 miles
  • 14m 06s /Mi

One of the first things I ever wrote in my training logs (before BT) was how much I hate running.  Felt lousy, I was slow, out of breath easily, etc.  Of course it turned out to be where I'm strongest as  a Triathlete.

Still not sure I'm ready to tackle the training for a marathon, it seems like a daunting task, and in the 6 years I've been doing this I still haven't done a run over 25km.  Plus, if I do one it would be to do well - even though I know the collective wisdom is that you likely need 1-2 of them under your belt before you understand how your body handles the distance.

I don't think the marathon is for everyone. It is a daunting task. Plus, if everything doesn't go well on race day, it's not like you can just go out the next weekend and run another one. I've now had two things that happened out of my control for my last two marathons that have kept me from running the race I would really like to.

And I've done 4 and still don't totally understand how my body handles the distance. There seem to be a million variables. It's kind of a moving target.

2015-03-03 11:53 AM

User image

For triathlon I was always given the advice, train for a marathon but race a half.  This next one will be my second, but I honestly have no desire to do a road marathon, for some reason.  Perhaps being on the trails masks my lack of speed and boosts my ego a little, since everyone (well, most everyone, some guys and girls are still rocking 3 hour trail marathons) is going slow(er)

2015-03-03 12:05 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

For triathlon I was always given the advice, train for a marathon but race a half.  This next one will be my second, but I honestly have no desire to do a road marathon, for some reason.  Perhaps being on the trails masks my lack of speed and boosts my ego a little, since everyone (well, most everyone, some guys and girls are still rocking 3 hour trail marathons) is going slow(er)

A road marathon doesn't interest me either. Off-road is much more likely to happen. It'd be more about covering a lot of very interesting ground as opposed to just plodding along for a long time.

Edited by brigby1 2015-03-03 12:05 PM
2015-03-03 12:08 PM

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

. It'd be more about covering a lot of very interesting ground as opposed to just and plodding along for a long time.

fixt it for you, at least the way I seem to do it  

Edited by ChrisM 2015-03-03 12:08 PM
2015-03-03 12:12 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Yeah, no interest in a marathon on my part either.  I've told that to people and they say something like "you did one in your Ironman" and I always say I still don't think I did a marathon, same distance but completely different.  

I think the marathon would hurt more...

2015-03-03 12:14 PM

User image

Seattle

A road marathon doesn't interest me either. Off-road is much more likely to happen. It'd be more about covering a lot of very interesting ground as opposed to just plodding along for a long time.

Having run a variety of distances on trails, road and track now, I like it all for different reasons. If I absolutely HAD to pick, I would say cross country is my very favorite because of the combination of fast paces, competition and the interesting terrain.

I don't really get the ego thing though...fast will always be relative. Times certainly mean something different than they do on the road but they still determine first and last place.*

*of which I have gotten both

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-03-03 12:15 PM
2015-03-03 12:56 PM

User image

So Quarq got back to me today and said that the unit is in good working order, but the calibration was off by about 2% and they had reset it.  I suppose something I could of done myself with a known weight and the Qalvin app, but I didn't want to mess around so close to the end of my warranty.

I had ordered new chainring bolts and a torque wrench (the type that clicks), but they only came in after I sent in the Quarq.  I'm hoping the recalibration, new bolts, and better accuracy on the torque solves everything.

I almost went for the upgrade to the Riken...but it was a slippery slope.  I was starting to convince myself to just get the Elsa for $899 (experiment with shorter cranks)...then go back to BB30 and use a Rotor BSA30 adapter (another $70).  Pretty soon it was going to be over $1k.  I'm probably better off saving that money and buying a second power meter in the future.

Anyway...hopefully this all works out.

2015-03-03 1:26 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Hopefully that sorts it all out for you Jason.

Speaking of shorter cranks, I tried 165s as part of the bike fit - holy cow that was a weird feeling!

2015-03-03 2:02 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Having run a variety of distances on trails, road and track now, I like it all for different reasons. If I absolutely HAD to pick, I would say cross country is my very favorite because of the combination of fast paces, competition and the interesting terrain.

I don't really get the ego thing though...fast will always be relative. Times certainly mean something different than they do on the road but they still determine first and last place.*

*of which I have gotten both

Yeah, by "plodding" I actually meant that in the relative sense. Everyone has a marathon pace quite a bit less than their 5k or 10k paces. Think I have the a similar mindset for the bike. If it's going to be really flat then I'd prefer short and get the really high speeds going. But lets have something to do if it's going to be long. Short can still have that too.

2015-03-03 2:43 PM

User image

Speaking of shorter cranks, I tried 165s as part of the bike fit - holy cow that was a weird feeling!

What length are you currently using and how did it differ?  Did you feel like you were forced to spin?

I use 172.5 now, which given my leg length (26.5" inseem) you would think is too long.  I was considering 165 if I went with the Elsa.  If nothing else, gives me an opportunity to create more drop as the saddles on both my bikes are fairly low due to my short leg length.

Your legs must be almost a foot longer than mine.  That sounded weird...

2015-03-03 3:05 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by GoFaster

Running Sux

RUN

• 31m 05s
  • 2.20 miles
  • 14m 06s /Mi

Gotta say, these posts were perhaps the best part of my (otherwise still pretty darn good) day.

Matt

2015-03-03 3:53 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

While I am not a huge fan of chasing courses just to get a time...  if the weather cooperated this would be a good venue for a sub 5 half...

Tempe 70.3

2015-03-03 4:12 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

What length are you currently using and how did it differ?  Did you feel like you were forced to spin?

I use 172.5 now, which given my leg length (26.5" inseem) you would think is too long.  I was considering 165 if I went with the Elsa.  If nothing else, gives me an opportunity to create more drop as the saddles on both my bikes are fairly low due to my short leg length.

172.5 now.  It definitely felt like I had to spin more but the weird part was I felt like I was missing a big chunk of power in the down stroke.  Jim said I looked like I went from effortless power to having to work a lot harder for the same power.

My jeans are a 34" inseam so not quite a foot.  Tab's are 36 so she's almost got you!  

2015-03-03 4:14 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

While I am not a huge fan of chasing courses just to get a time...  if the weather cooperated this would be a good venue for a sub 5 half...

Tempe 70.3

Wow, so that's going to sell out in exactly 14 seconds?

2015-03-03 4:33 PM

User image

Tempe 70.3

Wow, so that's going to sell out in exactly 14 seconds?

Probably more like 7.  Local tri clubs (of which I am a member) get priority early reg.   It will either be this or Silverman for October 

2015-03-03 5:07 PM

Master
Northern IL

172.5 now.  It definitely felt like I had to spin more but the weird part was I felt like I was missing a big chunk of power in the down stroke.  Jim said I looked like I went from effortless power to having to work a lot harder for the same power.

My jeans are a 34" inseam so not quite a foot.  Tab's are 36 so she's almost got you!  

Was going to say I was close, but then spiderwoman there.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).