General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2015-03-18 4:51 PM
in reply to: whichwayisdown

User image

Great Falls, Virginia
Subject: RE: 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Your mile impresses the hell out of me. I just hit a mile in the pool for the first time last week. Keep pushing and be kind to yourself!

2015-03-18 4:57 PM
in reply to: #5101416

Wednesday workout with my training partner. Easy 2 mile run to the pool 11:49/mile. Swam 750yrds, then 2 mile slower jog back 14:11/mile. Definitely the most back to back training I've done this session. Going to be a weekly for the next 3 weeks until taper.
2015-03-20 2:23 PM
in reply to: #5101887

Packet picked up, eating a large lunch with difficulty due to the nervous butterflies! Weather looks great, can't wait for the AM!

Will report back on how I get on...
2015-03-20 2:28 PM
in reply to: halr75

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by halr75

Packet picked up, eating a large lunch with difficulty due to the nervous butterflies! Weather looks great, can't wait for the AM!

Good luck. You will do great I am sure.
2015-03-22 7:56 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee

aaaaaaaaaaaand?

(waiting.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
waiting.jpg (3KB - 4 downloads)
2015-03-22 8:29 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Welp... another week going in the wrong direction. Ended up taking a quick trip out of town to watch (and coach) my two oldest in a bowling tournament. My daughter, being in the "Under 10" division was working on getting a plaque for 1st-3rd. She managed to hold on to 2nd place for a while, but ended up pretty far down the list. However, she had fun and she blew her avg out of the water.... So it's definitely a win for her. My Son, in the "Under 15" division was facing a lot stiffer competition. He was working on getting in the top 24 to qualify for the 2nd round this morning. No such luck. He managed to hold 14th until the 2nd to last group qualified, and he ultimately ended up in the top half, but out of qualifying range. Again, VERY proud especially since he had a bad first game, and he made the adjustment and spanked everyone else he was with the last 2 games. Also, if you're into this sort of thing, they were bowling on the "Mexico City" oil pattern. Those that made it to the finals this morning are on the "Beijing" pattern, and i'm hearing that it's giving a lot of them fits... hehehe

Okay... after that long blurb about my weekend... I weighed in at 253.0 this morning. It seems like my bad weekend caught up with me. Can't out exercise stupid y'know .

Swim: Jumped in the pool Monday after work for 1000yd free and 2x50yd kick drills. I tried to go for another 500yd free, but my arms just turned into limp noodles 200yds into it, so I only ended up with 1300yds. This week is a little more normal with the added bonus of being able to swim 3 days since the kiddos are on spring break, and I don't have to get them on the bus.

Bike: 6 sessions for a total of 49.7mi. I was squeezing in 30mins where I could last week. Some of it was hard and fast, some was low and slow, but all of it made me sweat like a turkey in November...

Run: First time I've laced up the Brooks since Feb 8th. I ran 2x for .4mi each, and 1x for .8mi. I'm keeping it extra light to try to prevent yet another round of foot issues. I'm not quite ready to stop trying to run the full 5k during a sprint. Worst case, I'll switch to Bike and Aquabike events if I just can't run anymore.

Goals for the week: Keep the freaking diet clean for once. 2 weeks of gain is really irritating (especially since it's my fault). Swim 3x (hopefully over 1500yds each time). Bike 50+ mi (I really want my first 200mi month) and try for at least once outside. Run 3x for .8, .8 and 1.2mi aiming for 12:00/mi pace.

2015-03-23 10:17 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by WebFootFreak

aaaaaaaaaaaand?

Well....

Good and bad! Swim was great and i totally killed it, was first in class among the Clydes with a 300m time through to the transition of 6.19.5 Next pool based race i will handicap myself a little less harshly as i had to pass 11 people in the pool which made life a little hard. First transition went smoothly and i was out in 1.45. Then the bike...damn it felt hard! Big climb straight out of the transition for the first 2 miles which i was quickly passed by a load of people i had passed in the swim. I was on a borrowed bike and even with the saddle on full extension and slid right back i was about an inch or so too low. I just couldn't get any power down! I lost a lot on the climb but made up a lot of time by spinning hard on the descent back into the transition area. Total bike time was 40.51.9. Second transition was a very quick 45s (elastic laces all the way!) and then out onto the run. I feel sure it was in part due to the bike position but my calves were cramping out of the gate, the route was the same as the bike so a big climb to start before a nice flat middle section and a descent back in to finish. I had to walk a couple of sections on the climb but after the half way mark my calves opened back up and i was overtaking a lot of people on the descent back into the finish. My run pace was miles off what i could be happy with, i timed in at 31.40 for the run when i had been easily pacing 26min in training. Total time was 1hr 21min 25s, good enough for 6th in the Clydesdale class.

Lessons:
- Its time for me to focus on more than just the swim!
- Transitions aren't nearly as bad as i expected, just be methodical
- Shot blocks on the bike not gel in the transition (a tip from a fellow racer was to lick some shot blocks and stick them to the bike frame to rip off and chew during the bike leg)
- Everyone is super supportive, the whole atmosphere was fantastic
- I need a lot more miles on both my bike and in my running shoes!
- Elastic laces probably saved me 30 seconds for a total cost of $6
- Don't bother with water on the run, i just choked on it (something i will need to change for longer distances)
- tri shorts were a great investment

All in all a fantastic first experience! My legs are tight today (i spent all of Saturday afternoon and Sunday hiking around the desert mountains rock hounding with the kids) and i skipped the swim this morning but will hop on the turbo trainer this evening to spin out some of the pain! I do believe i am hooked! Oh and during the final mile of the run i set a new reward program in place, i am now allowed a beer after each race, i had quit drinking altogether for weight loss but i needed something to motivate me through the final painful mile!

http://utahruntiming.com/racetri-ice-breaker-2015/

Edited by halr75 2015-03-23 10:18 AM
2015-03-23 2:13 PM

User image

hehehe it's addictive...

Instead of licking and sticking shot blocks (sounds kinda gross, really) tape gu packets to your crossbar. Make sure you don't tape the tear spot and it'll open for you when you grab it

(gu taped.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
gu taped.jpg (8KB - 1 downloads)
2015-03-23 8:46 PM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana

aaaaaaaaaaaand?

Well....

Good and bad! Swim was great and i totally killed it, was first in class among the Clydes with a 300m time through to the transition of 6.19.5 Next pool based race i will handicap myself a little less harshly as i had to pass 11 people in the pool which made life a little hard. First transition went smoothly and i was out in 1.45. Then the bike...damn it felt hard! Big climb straight out of the transition for the first 2 miles which i was quickly passed by a load of people i had passed in the swim. I was on a borrowed bike and even with the saddle on full extension and slid right back i was about an inch or so too low. I just couldn't get any power down! I lost a lot on the climb but made up a lot of time by spinning hard on the descent back into the transition area. Total bike time was 40.51.9. Second transition was a very quick 45s (elastic laces all the way!) and then out onto the run. I feel sure it was in part due to the bike position but my calves were cramping out of the gate, the route was the same as the bike so a big climb to start before a nice flat middle section and a descent back in to finish. I had to walk a couple of sections on the climb but after the half way mark my calves opened back up and i was overtaking a lot of people on the descent back into the finish. My run pace was miles off what i could be happy with, i timed in at 31.40 for the run when i had been easily pacing 26min in training. Total time was 1hr 21min 25s, good enough for 6th in the Clydesdale class.

Lessons:
- Shot blocks on the bike not gel in the transition (a tip from a fellow racer was to lick some shot blocks and stick them to the bike frame to rip off and chew during the bike leg)
- Don't bother with water on the run, i just choked on it (something i will need to change for longer distances)

All in all a fantastic first experience! My legs are tight today (i spent all of Saturday afternoon and Sunday hiking around the desert mountains rock hounding with the kids) and i skipped the swim this morning but will hop on the turbo trainer this evening to spin out some of the pain! I do believe i am hooked! Oh and during the final mile of the run i set a new reward program in place, i am now allowed a beer after each race, i had quit drinking altogether for weight loss but i needed something to motivate me through the final painful mile!

GREAT JOB!! I think you did a fantastic job! Way to go with your swim! I am struggling with my swim and even though I am getting better, I could only wish for a time like yours and you passed 11 people!! That's Awesome!! Way to take what you have done and learn from it!!
2015-03-23 11:00 PM
in reply to: #5080193

Another tip I've heard is to squeeze a couple gels into your water bottle for the bike. Fuel and hydrate arty the same time.
2015-03-24 3:57 PM
in reply to: Duck

New user
will catch up on the thread later when I get a chance. Back from honeymoon and ready to finally start getting into a routine. Was pretty active while away and I managed to keep me weight pretty constant. Will definitely have to start doing weekly weigh ins again and keep you guys updated. I tweaked something in my back, but I need to fight through it and get back on track!

2015-03-26 9:50 AM
in reply to: kent2233

New user
won't let me edit so I guess I am double posting...

EDIT: alright, so weight-in number one is 224.9, still way down from my high points, but I was as low as 211 a couple of months ago. My goal will be to lose a pound a week as that seems to be the generally accepted rate that is sustainable. My back is not back to normal yet but is slowly stretching itself out.

Also I finally caught up on the thread, lots of good progress being made and congrats on finishing race one of the season!
2015-03-26 12:16 PM
in reply to: kent2233

User image

Hope y'all had a blast on your honeymoon (no details please)

The forum will only let you edit for 30 minutes.

Good to see you're getting into a routine, but be careful with the back issues.
2015-03-29 9:43 AM
in reply to: #5102937

Well 3 weeks to my next triathlon, RAGE. Another week of training down and it felt good. My goal for the race is sub 2 hours, would like a little faster though. :-) My Wednesday workout with my training partner is a run, swim, run. Swim felt good, 1,000yds at 1:54/100yd average. I still struggle with my run on the way back but that takes time to build. I've kinda used last year's winners times as a bench mark during training and he killed me on the run, sub 30min. I can't do that first thing in the morning. This run choose only had 60ft of climb on the way out so hopefully that helps keeps my momentum going. His swim was 5min slower then mine at my first triathlon a couple years ago and his bike was 58min for 13 miles with around 700ft of elevation gains. I got the new bike out for a 13.4 mile ride the other day with 1,700ft elevation gain in 55min. I'm hoping my swim and ride give me enough to hold on for the run. His total time was 1:58:30, so I'll definitely have to beat my goal and then some.

On another note, I've set my weight loss goal to 235lbs. That leaves me 60lbs to go. I've also decided I want to do a half length for this event in two years. That'll be just after my 40th. Sprint to half in two years is gonna take some work, but consistency over volume is the key I think.
2015-03-29 11:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Goals for the week: Keep the freaking diet clean for once. 2 weeks of gain is really irritating (especially since it's my fault). Swim 3x (hopefully over 1500yds each time). Bike 50+ mi (I really want my first 200mi month) and try for at least once outside. Run 3x for .8, .8 and 1.2mi aiming for 12:00/mi pace.

Okay... I was doing a weight loss challenge that ended yesterday, so I did my weigh-in yesterday morning. 247 dead for a total of 10.5lb lost since Jan 4th. I'll take that loss rate all year long . It was a pretty uneventful week, just trying to train and keep my diet under control. I didn't hit all of my training goals, but I still did a bit.

Swim: 2x in the pool (Wed and Fri) for a total of 2700 yds (1200 & 1500yds). I'm not a speed demon, but I can put down some distance.

Bike: Swiped my wife's new seat to give it a test this week. Turns out I like it a lot better than she does, so we picked her up a new one yesterday. I managed 3 trainer rides for 18.7 miles, and actually managed to get outside for a 13.17mi ride on wed. That gives me a total of 31.87mi for the week. I also noted that my speeds outside have increased. Even with a 20+mph headwind during the first part of the ride, I managed to keep it over 13mph which is pretty good for me. The new speedo/cadence unit makes a difference since I can pay closer attention to my cadence.

Run: Only managed 2/3 runs this week. I got both of my .8 mile runs in and even managed a 12:09 pace on the 2nd run. I was wiped out yesterday, and couldn't get my "long" run in so... I'll be doing that tonight, and Tue/Thu/Sat will be my S/S/L runs for this week. Also, got my hands on a new pair of shoes since I had beat my last pair into submission. Went with New Balance 1340v2 (I think) over my Brooks Adrenaline GTS12 this time and we'll see how it pans out.

I'm not sure how this week is going to pan out. My schedule just got all jacked up at work. I'm not really in the frame of mind to go into details right now... I might burn out the language censors on the site . The plan is for 1 swim 2000+yds, hopefully 2. Bike for 50+miles (trainer and road). Do my long run from last week tonight, then another week of .8/.8/1.2mi runs. I'm keeping my runs short and light because I'd rather be slightly under-trained for my races than to over train and race with injuries again.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2015-03-29 11:59 AM
2015-03-29 9:36 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

I'm back after a week driving around in Australia for work. The last 2 weeks have been mixed for me, first a great week of running, where I got up to over 3 hours total for the week, and the weight dropped 1.1lbs. And then the week travelling, with very limited opportunities to train, ending in only 3 runs for 58 minutes total, and a week of restaurant food ended in a 0.9lbs gain for the week.

So overall for the last 2 weeks, 4 hours running and 0.2lbs lost. Which is ok all things considered.

This week, getting back to the normal swing of things. 6 runs, make smart food choices, and continue the getting fit again process

2015-03-29 9:37 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

aaaaaaaaaaaand?

Well....

Lessons:

Awesome work! Congratulations on your first tri!

Sounds like you had fun, and learnt a lot for next time. Couldn't have asked for more.
2015-04-01 2:04 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

New user
224.8 this morning for the weekly weigh-in, down 0.1. Definitely not the 1 pound I was looking for, but down is down. I finally got back on the trainer and got in 2 rides of ~45 minutes each. In addition to my regular walks I got in a nice long one when we had a single day of nicer weather which was good. Eating was ok but not great, having a bunch of friends in town for the weekend definitely didn't help. This weekend will be our of town for easter, so that will pose a challenge, but I'm going to shoot for 3 workouts.
2015-04-01 3:57 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

So after the great first tri i have gone backwards! Was away on business all of last week so managed 3-4miles a day on the treadmill in the hotel gym and stayed clear of the booze and ate well. Still not as much training as i would of like. Then on Sunday disaster struck, i managed to take a paving slab to the shins resulting in a trip to Instacare and 36 stitches to put it all back together, i'll spare you the gory photos! No lasting damage but i am not allowed back in the pool for another 10 days and we'll see about running after that!

Sooo frustrating! Going to still do the sprint tri i had in the calendar at the end of this month but feel sure i won't make the improvements i was hoping for. Totally self inflicted (20-20 hindsight and all that) so no sympathy what so ever from my better half, she has been plying me with the odd beverage to help me sleep however!
2015-04-02 8:12 AM

User image

Dude... "Ouch" doesn't begin to cover it. My only advice is to be sure to be completely healed before getting too crazy. I had 11 stitches on a toe once. The day I got them out (surface was sealed good) I reopened it. it cost me 3 extra weeks on crutches to let it heal from the inside out... But hey. I was an idiot 7th grader at the time
2015-04-06 8:46 AM

User image

I'm not sure how this week is going to pan out. My schedule just got all jacked up at work. I'm not really in the frame of mind to go into details right now... I might burn out the language censors on the site . The plan is for 1 swim 2000+yds, hopefully 2. Bike for 50+miles (trainer and road). Do my long run from last week tonight, then another week of .8/.8/1.2mi runs. I'm keeping my runs short and light because I'd rather be slightly under-trained for my races than to over train and race with injuries again.

Did not complete any of the goals... but that's how it goes sometimes The catch phrase for this week is: "Some is better than none", lol!

Weight: 250.5. Wasn't watching much this week. So that's on me.

Swim: Planned on my usual Fri AM swim... work had other ideas. Rescheduled for Sat AM while the kids were bowling since Amy was going to be there and Nuber Y is right around the corner... The baby started hacking up a lung, so no go there. I did manage to wrangle 30mins in the pool later that day, but at the Y I really don't care to use. I got 1000yds free and 3x50yds kick in for a total of 1150yds.

Bike: Not entirely sure how it happened, but I only managed 3 rides for a total of 33.26mi. That includes 16.72miles from the group ride Sat morning... ugh.

Run: Went to do the long run I missed Sun night, and lightning strikes chased me back indoors. Oh well. I did hit my 3 planned runs after that. Both short runs were quite close to the pace I wanted as well. So far the runs are going well *knock on wood*

Goals: 1 swim for a minimum of 2000yds total. I'd like a bit more to make the 850 I was short last week. Bike: I missed Sunday's planned ride due to illness already so... The plan is to get my 50miles in 4 rides. Run will be more of the same, but this week I go to 1.2/1.2/1.6mi runs. It's hard not to try to push the distances out on the run, but I'm more afraid of getting hurt again than walking in a race.

2015-04-06 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Start of a whole new month. I have about 30 days to see how fast can I lose weight and get into shape? Why 30 days? Because that is how many days I live completely alone with no pregnant girls to worry about and deal with. Though I will still have to see her once a week though. After that I might even have a couple more weeks. Baby has 9 more weeks left to cook in theory so she should move back in with me 2 to 3 weeks after that. Once the baby comes I am expect to have daily visits.
2015-04-06 11:43 AM
in reply to: #5080193

Decent week. Managed a 4.8 mile run at 13:12 pace. I've been having problems controlling my heart rate and seem to have managed it well on this run averaging 132 and peaked at 149. I'm very happy with that. Couple of short rides, 23 miles total. Been very windy so I've kept to hilly rides over distance. Wednesday I swam 1500yds. 100yd warm up, 1,000 free, and 400yd mixed stroke cool down. My 750yd time was 14:30 which I'm quite happy with as well. Less then two weeks until RAGE, not much more improvement I can make so it's all maintenance now.
2015-04-06 4:07 PM
in reply to: Duck

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Here to vent I suppose...

Sort of left myself go after some health issues and put on 30 lbs.  Decided to get back into something and decided crossfit 4 times a week with some running in between.

SO, after 5 weeks with never missing a workout.  Logging everything I eat and averaging a caloric deficit of about 1,200 per day (burn 3500 and eat about 2300), I can come to you and say:

I HAVE NOT LOST A SINGLE OUNCE. 

Maybe even put on a pound or two.  I'm getting stronger, getting toned, and have more energy, so I think its working but I can't tell you how the scale is DRVING ME CRAZY.  I have a body fat scale as well and that doesn't seem to budge either.  Enough to make you want to give up if I wasn't determined.  I know now how some people with real weight issues lose patience and quit after a couple months when you can't see any results...

Anyway, for me and for anyone reading.  Stick to it.  If we got the way we are in 30 months (or 30 years), probably takes a little longer than 30 days to fix it!  Results will come...

2015-04-06 4:22 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Not a good week for me.

I ran Monday, as usual, but Tuesday started getting the man flu, ended up out of action for the rest of the week. So only 35 minutes of workouts this week. Disaster. My worst since Christmas.

The only bright side is that my diet wasn't terrible, and 2-3 days of almost no eating ended up with me loosing 2.4lbs for the week. Bringing me to 14.1lbs lost overall for the year.

This week, back to normal. eat well, and run every day.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 37

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54754 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 68287 Posts: 1113

2013-12-30 2:13 PM Fechter99

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8769 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614

Athena group vs. Beginner Triathlete group

Started by Tri-Ro
Views: 2574 Posts: 6

2008-09-03 10:34 PM Artemis

Love Being an Athena/Clyde [Newbie] Because

Started by TriAya
Views: 3655 Posts: 25

2007-08-16 1:45 AM Iron_Gus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?