General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2015-06-01 7:14 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

1)There's 4 of us... that's a lot of food.

More like 6 of us...

I forgot to add... I am dropping the Gearhead Sprint from my schedule this year. With Amy out of work for 2 weeks this time and who knows how long next time and possibly a 3rd stay... yeah, paying for races is waaaay low on the priority list. I will be doing Riverbluff since that one is paid for, and it's close to family.

Also... was given a pair of beat up Mountain Bikes. A Mongoose Ledge 2.2 and a Genesis V2100. I plan to try to make 1 serviceable bike out of two, and donate the rest of the parts to my local bike co-op. If all goes to plan, I should have a bike that'll handle an Xterra event next year

Sorry to hear you've had such a tough week. I agree, dropping the race sounds like the best option. I hope that things start getting easier soon.

And have fun playing bike mechanic. Don't forget we want to see bike p0rn when you've finished your rebuild.

2015-06-04 2:04 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

It's been a while since I've checked in, but I have a race next weekend and like many ... I'm behind on training.  It's a sprint, so I'm not concerned - but still I'd like to better my previous time.  Got in the pool yesterday for the first time in a while and was reminded (again) of how fast the muscles go away when you do not train.  Had a good run on the T-mill and hope to keep a similar avg pace going into the race.  Bike is OK ... with the training I've done earlier for a century - the bike will be fine.  At this point I will alternate daily bricks with swim-run and bike-run, up thru Wednesday and chill up to race time on Saturday.

Hope all have a good rest of the week. 

2015-06-04 4:15 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Champion
Bronze member

How is everyone doing. I am doing better with the 100 miles challenge on my plate. Though it is cutting into other training, Since my next race is a mountain run, running is what  I need to be doing. Now if my knee will cooperate.

Heading to Fla to pick my Mom up for the summer. She is a true snow-bird now. I am flying down tomorrow and driving home Sunday. At least that is the plan now, she may want to go Monday instead. We will see who wins.

2015-06-04 8:44 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I've started well on my 100km challenge. 21.3km so far this week, and 1, possibly 2 runs still to come. Actually, according to my logs, my rolling total over the last 30 days is 99km. So I guess that means well on track so far.

The wife and I are off for a long weekend at the family batch, which is going to be great to get away from everything, but no treadmill... so I'm planning on a light weekend ahead as far as training goes.
2015-06-05 11:51 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

I'm a newbie here! I'm very interested in getting started in Tri's. I'm currently larger then I've been in about 10 years, currently sitting at a svelte 6 foot 3 and 250Lbs 37 year old lol. A little history about myself, played some college basketball, got injured and got fat. Around 27 I got extremely motivated and started training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Kickboxing. I competed in both for a while and settled on just training in BJJ. Training that 3 times a week had kept me lean and in shape. Two years ago I was 202 lbs and 10% body fat. I started battling some injuries and started to put on weight again and it has slowed down my training to crawl. I tried to get back into playing basketball for some extra exercise and was starting to lose some weight again until a back injury has put me on the sideline me for almost 3 months. My doctor said no BJJ, no Basketball , or no weights all I could do was bike and swim. I've had an old ride bike that used previously and had enjoyed riding it in the past. I recently purchased an new Fuji and have spent alot of time riding on my trainer. Last week my back finally felt good enough to try and swim and did 10 laps and nearly died. So I'm hooked, but I'm fat and need some motivation again. I don't know when I will be able to run again, doctors orders... I want to take it day by day, I plan on riding 15-20 miles tomorrow. Question for the bigger guys, I've always hated running outside on the concrete its always hurt my knees and shins, how do you big guys do it?
2015-06-07 4:59 PM
in reply to: dag5306

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Originally posted by dag5306
Question for the bigger guys, I've always hated running outside on the concrete its always hurt my knees and shins, how do you big guys do it?

I'm 5'9" and started at 280. For me I was getting decent shoes and making sure I stretch out. When I get stiff/sore I use a tennis ball to roll on the muscles. Makes for a nice little massage. As far as shoes go, that's a rather personal thing. What works for one may very well not work for another. In my case, I did okay last year with a pair of Brooks GTS. After beating them to death (about 14 months), I've swapped to New Balance and for me they're simply amazing.

2015-06-07 5:39 PM

User image

Down to 247.5. It may only be a half pound... but I'll take it.

Training wise... it was good and bad.

Swim: Got 1100yds in on Tuesday. Went back Friday for another 1000+, and every lane was full with most of them doubled up.... so.... I went ahead to work for a little extra OT.

Bike: Last Sunday saw 22.01mi (yeah, it logged .01mi...) in a drizzle. I didn't get any trainer time in during the week, but did log 32.68mi yesterday with the group. 54.69mi for the week is not bad for me at all. I missed a 200mi total again in May, so I'd better get it for June.

Run: Why do I neglect this so much? I had nothing last week.

mmmmmkay.... Since I've dropped Gearhead, I have 9 solid weeks to train. 2x/week in the pool, 50+mi/week on the bike and running through the C25K a 4th time plus a final taper week should have me in excellent shape to smash my time at Riverbluff. Now I just have to deliver.

I made a deal this week with my mentor. He found a gem of a bike in a pawn shop a while back. It's a beautifully built carbon Time frame. His old bike was hanging around doing nothing so..... I am now the happy owner of a Felt Z100 with upgraded wheels (a minor tacoing accident ) and aerobars. I took her out for her our first adventure this morning. I put down 28.52mi in 1:41:48 @16.81 avg mph. By comparison, my out and back last Sunday on the same road was 22.01mi in 1:30:57 @ 14.52 avg mph... I still need to swap out my seat and SPD pedals (was on the flats this morning). I've always wondered what I could do on a better bike... This thing is LIGHT too... It's also a bit twitchier than the Denali, but I can handle that. Using the aerobars was an adventure as well.... I can coast, but I get squirrely when I apply any real power to the pedals, lol. Bike Pron to follow as soon as I get my pedals on. I'm planning to use the Denali for trainer, inclement weather and power training. By power I mean that with the 53-tooth sprocket, it can be a beast to pedal
2015-06-08 3:41 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak Down to 247.5. It may only be a half pound... but I'll take it. Training wise... it was good and bad. Swim: Got 1100yds in on Tuesday. Went back Friday for another 1000+, and every lane was full with most of them doubled up.... so.... I went ahead to work for a little extra OT. Bike: Last Sunday saw 22.01mi (yeah, it logged .01mi...) in a drizzle. I didn't get any trainer time in during the week, but did log 32.68mi yesterday with the group. 54.69mi for the week is not bad for me at all. I missed a 200mi total again in May, so I'd better get it for June. Run: Why do I neglect this so much? I had nothing last week. mmmmmkay.... Since I've dropped Gearhead, I have 9 solid weeks to train. 2x/week in the pool, 50+mi/week on the bike and running through the C25K a 4th time plus a final taper week should have me in excellent shape to smash my time at Riverbluff. Now I just have to deliver. I made a deal this week with my mentor. He found a gem of a bike in a pawn shop a while back. It's a beautifully built carbon Time frame. His old bike was hanging around doing nothing so..... I am now the happy owner of a Felt Z100 with upgraded wheels (a minor tacoing accident ) and aerobars. I took her out for her our first adventure this morning. I put down 28.52mi in 1:41:48 @16.81 avg mph. By comparison, my out and back last Sunday on the same road was 22.01mi in 1:30:57 @ 14.52 avg mph... I still need to swap out my seat and SPD pedals (was on the flats this morning). I've always wondered what I could do on a better bike... This thing is LIGHT too... It's also a bit twitchier than the Denali, but I can handle that. Using the aerobars was an adventure as well.... I can coast, but I get squirrely when I apply any real power to the pedals, lol. Bike Pron to follow as soon as I get my pedals on. I'm planning to use the Denali for trainer, inclement weather and power training. By power I mean that with the 53-tooth sprocket, it can be a beast to pedal

I want your Mentor!! Let's see pictures.

2015-06-08 4:43 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

NAME: Shawn

STORY: I started training for a short sprint 2 years ago. Since i have had my first child and gained about 30 lbs. So i have decided to try it again. My first planned race is in august up here in Massachusetts. So this time i plan on actually doing it. I find the running the hardest. Currently I can brick a 3.7 mile bike with a 1.25 mile run in about 32 min. My big goal is to not only finish but finish in under 2 hours. Anyone from southern MA wanna train together let me know.

FAMILY STATUS: married 1 child

CURRENT TRAINING: Bricking my bike / run 2-3 days a week. the other days I'm swimming and have 1-2 days off depending on how i feel.

2015 RACES:
1 to start and maybe a second if i do well enough.
2015-06-09 6:23 AM

User image

Originally posted by ceilidh
I want your Mentor!! Let's see pictures.

*chuckle* I may not have paid cash for the bike, but I guarantee you that it was far from free, lol. It just so happens that their vehicles need a bit of work so... as an auto tech, I am trading labor time for bicycle value. Win-Win.

I need to find the time to swap my stuff over... but pics are coming I promise!
2015-06-09 6:32 AM
in reply to: shawn7277

User image

Originally posted by shawn7277

NAME: Shawn

STORY: I started training for a short sprint 2 years ago. Since i have had my first child and gained about 30 lbs. So i have decided to try it again. My first planned race is in august up here in Massachusetts. So this time i plan on actually doing it. I find the running the hardest. Currently I can brick a 3.7 mile bike with a 1.25 mile run in about 32 min. My big goal is to not only finish but finish in under 2 hours. Anyone from southern MA wanna train together let me know.

FAMILY STATUS: married 1 child

CURRENT TRAINING: Bricking my bike / run 2-3 days a week. the other days I'm swimming and have 1-2 days off depending on how i feel.

2015 RACES:
1 to start and maybe a second if i do well enough.

Welcome!

Sounds like you have a pretty solid plan.

Are you doing constant bricks due to time constraints? If not, I'd suggest splitting them up (keep 1 brick) to allow you to get more distance in on each event.

2015-06-09 8:21 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by ceilidh I want your Mentor!! Let's see pictures.
*chuckle* I may not have paid cash for the bike, but I guarantee you that it was far from free, lol. It just so happens that their vehicles need a bit of work so... as an auto tech, I am trading labor time for bicycle value. Win-Win. I need to find the time to swap my stuff over... but pics are coming I promise!

Just finding a decent bike is worth its weight in gold. Bartering for stuff is the way to go! I am on edge waiting for those pics

2015-06-09 8:23 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by shawn7277 NAME: Shawn STORY: I started training for a short sprint 2 years ago. Since i have had my first child and gained about 30 lbs. So i have decided to try it again. My first planned race is in august up here in Massachusetts. So this time i plan on actually doing it. I find the running the hardest. Currently I can brick a 3.7 mile bike with a 1.25 mile run in about 32 min. My big goal is to not only finish but finish in under 2 hours. Anyone from southern MA wanna train together let me know. FAMILY STATUS: married 1 child CURRENT TRAINING: Bricking my bike / run 2-3 days a week. the other days I'm swimming and have 1-2 days off depending on how i feel. 2015 RACES: 1 to start and maybe a second if i do well enough.
Welcome! Sounds like you have a pretty solid plan. Are you doing constant bricks due to time constraints? If not, I'd suggest splitting them up (keep 1 brick) to allow you to get more distance in on each event.

I agree, Unless you need to do all bricks, doing one sport training will give you a good base for the total distance of the race. You have enough time to train for that race for sure. Welcome to our gang!

2015-06-10 6:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

mmmmkay... Ask and ye shall receive:

I sent off for more info from Felt- not sure what they're going to say

All I know at this point is that it's a 54cm Felt Z100. I believe it's an aluminum frame, but I do know it has a carbon fork. It's on Rolf Vector wheels due to a crash (only damage was a taco'd front wheel). I've put my Terry seat on there (I likes me a little padding....) and it hasn't been adjusted yet. She also needs a bath... desperately.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2015-06-10 6:51 AM

(Felt Z100.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Felt Z100.jpg (1500KB - 8 downloads)
2015-06-10 2:36 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak mmmmkay... Ask and ye shall receive: I sent off for more info from Felt- not sure what they're going to say All I know at this point is that it's a 54cm Felt Z100. I believe it's an aluminum frame, but I do know it has a carbon fork. It's on Rolf Vector wheels due to a crash (only damage was a taco'd front wheel). I've put my Terry seat on there (I likes me a little padding....) and it hasn't been adjusted yet. She also needs a bath... desperately.

SCWEET! gotta name for her yet?

2015-06-10 5:23 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

mmmmkay... Ask and ye shall receive:

I sent off for more info from Felt- not sure what they're going to say

All I know at this point is that it's a 54cm Felt Z100. I believe it's an aluminum frame, but I do know it has a carbon fork. It's on Rolf Vector wheels due to a crash (only damage was a taco'd front wheel). I've put my Terry seat on there (I likes me a little padding....) and it hasn't been adjusted yet. She also needs a bath... desperately.

OOOO, she's pretty. Wishing you many happy miles together.

2015-06-10 5:26 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by shawn7277 NAME: Shawn STORY: I started training for a short sprint 2 years ago. Since i have had my first child and gained about 30 lbs. So i have decided to try it again. My first planned race is in august up here in Massachusetts. So this time i plan on actually doing it. I find the running the hardest. Currently I can brick a 3.7 mile bike with a 1.25 mile run in about 32 min. My big goal is to not only finish but finish in under 2 hours. Anyone from southern MA wanna train together let me know. FAMILY STATUS: married 1 child CURRENT TRAINING: Bricking my bike / run 2-3 days a week. the other days I'm swimming and have 1-2 days off depending on how i feel. 2015 RACES: 1 to start and maybe a second if i do well enough.
Welcome! Sounds like you have a pretty solid plan. Are you doing constant bricks due to time constraints? If not, I'd suggest splitting them up (keep 1 brick) to allow you to get more distance in on each event.

I agree, Unless you need to do all bricks, doing one sport training will give you a good base for the total distance of the race. You have enough time to train for that race for sure. Welcome to our gang!

Another vote for splitting your workouts up. Running on tired, post cycling legs is not good run training. If it's a time thing, and it's the only way you can get runs in then keep going, but ideally you should split them up.
2015-06-10 5:33 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So last week was good for running, not so much for diet.

Being at the beach, on holiday = eating too much bad (but delicious) food which resulted in weighing in being up 2.2lbs this week.

For workouts, I got 26km in week 1 of june for our 100km challenge, so happy with that. and 3 hours 16 minutes made it my biggest week yet. so happy there.

This week, carry on as I have been with my workouts, and really try to focus on my diet. Which will be hard, we have a few social engagements this week, and eating out is not good for eating well.
2015-06-12 6:31 AM
in reply to: dag5306

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Originally posted by dag5306  I don't know when I will be able to run again, doctors orders... I want to take it day by day, I plan on riding 15-20 miles tomorrow. Question for the bigger guys, I've always hated running outside on the concrete its always hurt my knees and shins, how do you big guys do it?

First off dag ... welcome to the group.  Your approach is good, in that you do need to take things day by day, week by week and month by month.  Most here plan to train each of the 3 sports on a weekly basis ... obviously some more than others.  But the key is doing some level of training on each sport, each week. I always encourage ones to log their training, and you do that via the training log button at the top of the main menu bar. 

Lastly ... I hate running.  The thing that makes it tolerable for me is focus on time - not distance and pace.  The mantra for me is to run slow, to run long.  Shoes are important and there are several "shoe advisers" on-line wherein you input some details and the shoe finder recommends the brand and model.  My current shoes are Mizuno Wave.  I believe these are more a neutral shoe - less of a stability shoe.  I found the stability shoes too squishy and seemed to add some soreness to my knees. 

Again, welcome and will enjoy seeing your progress from time to time. 

2015-06-12 6:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Ohhh yeahhh ... solid bike Web.  I've found the tri-bars to be squirrely for me and don't have these on my ride.  Still she looks to be a sweet ride.  Congrats on making the trade

2015-06-12 7:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Slow week for me, given my first race for the year is tomorrow.  I got in a ride on Sunday and a jog on Tuesday and that's about it.  I've had some shoulder soreness, and with tomorrow's race didn't want to go into the race with shoulder issue so minimal on this. 

Today, I'll get in a slow 500m swim, an easy 10 miles on the bike and ready for tomorrow

My mileage for June this far is 55 miles.

Edited by Dorm57 2015-06-12 8:02 AM

2015-06-14 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Had a fun race yesterday, which was the first race of the year for me. 

RR is here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=533014&start=1

Also attached a pic of my setup in transition.  I like to keep it as tight and minimal as practical.  Stuff gets stacked or layered in the order of use ... first item to get put on after the swim is on top, then the next is below, etc.  Hope all have a good week.

Edited by Dorm57 2015-06-14 11:39 AM

Attachments
----------------
3LP transition setup.pdf (191KB - 8 downloads)
2015-06-14 1:58 PM

User image

I knew I needed to buckle down starting this week.... and for the first time in a while... I delivered.

Weight 245.0 - I think that's down 2.5 (I was so excited I forgot to check)

Swim: Single swim for 1100yds. I meant to go Thurs as well, but I was so wiped out from work I ended up sleeping late.

Bike: Solo ride on Sunday for 28.52mi and 31.98mi group ride (was zone training with my mentor... Dude's a BEAST) on Saturday for a total of 60.5mi. SCHWEET!!

Run: I had to stack my runs on Wed, Thur and Fri... but I did get all 3 of my 30min runs in. Only 6 mi total, but that was the plan 8 weeks out from my next event.

In a nutshell, the plan for next week is to make both swims, add the 3rd bike (intervals on the trainer) and work on dialing in the fit, hit week 2 of the C25K (not consecutive days this time), and add in weight training 2x. I'm going to try to do it all, but I'm not going to go nuts if I miss one or two sessions...
2015-06-14 3:33 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So it's another so so week for me.

Again I got all my runs in, 3 hours 18 minutes for the week, and even got my new longest run in a long time at 60 minutes. So I'm happy with that.

And my 100km in June challenge is currently sitting at 53.8km, so looking good so far.

But my weight, a slight gain for the week. But near as makes no difference the same as last week.

I need to sort this out. If I don't drop significantly, and soon, there's no chance I will be back at the HIM distance next summer. Something needs to click inside my head to stop me making stupid choices for what I put into my mouth. I really need for that to happen soon.

I'm off on Friday for work to Australia, I'll pack my running shoes, but not sure if I'll get the opportunity to use them. Wouldn't be surprised if I miss a run or 2 at the end of the week.
2015-06-14 3:36 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
That's some nice riding. Good to see you're enjoying your new toy.

And congrats on the 2.5lbs drop. That's a great effort. You're making me jealous.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 37

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54403 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 68074 Posts: 1113

2013-12-30 2:13 PM Fechter99

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8711 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614

Athena group vs. Beginner Triathlete group

Started by Tri-Ro
Views: 2558 Posts: 6

2008-09-03 10:34 PM Artemis

Love Being an Athena/Clyde [Newbie] Because

Started by TriAya
Views: 3640 Posts: 25

2007-08-16 1:45 AM Iron_Gus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?