General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2015-01-11 4:41 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by albella OK, I'm in. 1/1/2015 = 290lbs 3 Marathons and a few Tri's until January 20 2014 when I had a major stroke. Long a road to recovery gaining about 50lbs. Well, Well, Well......where to begin? December 17th, 2014 I had a pacemaker installed. My heart stopped 5 times over a 2 day period. Jan. 1st I started walking. My visit to the Cardiologist was this past Tuesday and he let me get back to running. oh yeah, Down 5 lbs. Brief history: Goal race 2015 = IM Louisville Races to date: NYC Marathon - FIRST race post Stroke Myrtle Beach Marathon Niagara Falls Marathon Cleveland Marathon Quakerman Tri A Tri In The Buff Rev3 Cedar Point I don't really have a "goal" weight. I'll stop when I feel satisfied.

WOW! What a fantastic recovery from your stroke! That is a quick turn around for your pacemaker! I remember the days when that was a 2 week hospital stay.

Welcome!

+1 for the amazing recovery. Getting back out there after something like that is truly inspirational. It makes my problems and excuses seem totally trivial.

Keep up the good work

2015-01-12 6:19 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Extreme Veteran
I hope everyone has a great week of fitness and healthy food!! I start back tomorrow with a full semester of classes, that is usually my downfall, I get tired and feel I can only focus on my school work... That is the worst thing for me because if I'm not intentionally moving to burn a lot of calories I gain weight... Here is to balance!

Amy
2015-01-12 6:42 AM
in reply to: amy mutz

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by amy mutz I was going to spin tonight, but don't feel like it. So I'm just trying to stay warm it's about 10 degrees outside right now. How cold is it in VA? My husband is originally from Manassas, not far from you.

It was pretty miserably cold her last week also, so most of my workouts were forced indoors.  I managed to get in an [almost] 2 hour ride on my trainer which I'm pretty proud of myself for (previous longest trainer ride was 90 min).  I seriously can't wait for spring .  Hope everyone had a good weekend!!

2015-01-12 2:14 PM
in reply to: DBGlobal

User image

Vega Alta , Puerto Rico
Well, I was trying to comply with posting a pic of the new bike. (You know, as per site rules and all...) But being a total newb, I don't know how. I've looking at how to do it on the site but I can't find it. It's probably right under my nose.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
2015-01-12 3:29 PM
in reply to: uziel5000

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by uziel5000 Well, I was trying to comply with posting a pic of the new bike. (You know, as per site rules and all...) But being a total newb, I don't know how. I've looking at how to do it on the site but I can't find it. It's probably right under my nose. Can anyone shed some light on this?
It took me forever to figure it out. Start a post as normal, write what ever you want, or nothing at all if you want. Look down at the bottom left of the text box. There is a box you can check for "Attach file after posting'. Check that box, click submit. then a screen will pop up and you can browse and locate where your file is. attach it and BOOM! You have posted a picture.

Hope that helps.

2015-01-13 7:02 AM

User image

Vega Alta , Puerto Rico
OK, thanks ceilidh! Here it is. I named it The Machine

(themachine.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
themachine.jpg (2074KB - 10 downloads)

2015-01-13 12:02 PM
in reply to: #5082000

Good looking bike!
2015-01-13 12:43 PM

User image

Vega Alta , Puerto Rico
2015 Giant Defy 1. Aluminum frame, carbon fork and seatpost, Shimano 105 groupset with the exception of the crank which is FSA.

To me, (and I had only ridden "mega-mart special" bikes up to this point) it's the greatest thing in the World! Now I understand why bikes have things like, gears. LOL

It's an entry-level bike and there are many much better but this one is mine. Triathlon here I come!!!!
2015-01-13 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Nice bike, may you have many happy miles together.
2015-01-14 5:55 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by uziel5000 2015 Giant Defy 1. Aluminum frame, carbon fork and seatpost, Shimano 105 groupset with the exception of the crank which is FSA. To me, (and I had only ridden "mega-mart special" bikes up to this point) it's the greatest thing in the World! Now I understand why bikes have things like, gears. LOL It's an entry-level bike and there are many much better but this one is mine. Triathlon here I come!!!!

The best bike is the one you love. Nice looking Steed!

2015-01-14 8:26 PM
in reply to: #5083015

Mid-week report: one swim, one bike, and one run down. Seeing improvement in each. In my swim class, we had to do a set of 4x100 with each hundred getting faster. My slowest 100 was still faster than I've ever swam before, and I wasn't putting out a major effort.

Tomorrow we're learning flip turns. I am not excited about it. I've tried on several occasions, and always end up smacking the bottom of the shallow end. My opinion is that I don't do them in an open water swim so they aren't necessary. At least that's the excuse I've made because I am so bad at them. At least there will be lifeguards.

2015-01-14 8:32 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by DBGlobal

Mid-week report: one swim, one bike, and one run down. Seeing improvement in each. In my swim class, we had to do a set of 4x100 with each hundred getting faster. My slowest 100 was still faster than I've ever swam before, and I wasn't putting out a major effort.

Tomorrow we're learning flip turns. I am not excited about it. I've tried on several occasions, and always end up smacking the bottom of the shallow end. My opinion is that I don't do them in an open water swim so they aren't necessary. At least that's the excuse I've made because I am so bad at them. At least there will be lifeguards.

Good work!

And good luck with the flip turns. That's something I've never learnt. But like you say, it's also something I've never had to do in a triathlon.
2015-01-14 8:37 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Mid week report for me.

Workouts have gone well. 6 x 15 minute runs so far this week, as scheduled. 3 more to go and that's the weekly target met.

Diet hasn't been as good, My choices have been ok, no junk food so far this week so that's an improvement and something I'm happy with, but 2 out of 3 dinners this week have been much higher calories than I thought they would be, so I've been over my target on those days.

How are the rest of you guys doing?
2015-01-15 6:47 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

My midweek report:  I got in every single workout on my schedule, including the strength workouts that I've been ignoring until now (though not all of them have been 100%).  I even made up my track workout on the treadmill yesterday when the school was closed b/c of snow.  Pretty happy with that, though I've felt as though I've been run over by a truck all week.  Hopefully this will get easier!  Swim practice this morning was my last workout until the weekend run and ride, and I'm hoping for good enough weather to do them both outside.

Nutrition.... let's not even talk about that :-)  My refrigerator broke last Friday night and hasn't been replaced yet, so I've been using that as an excuse and eating out every single meal.  Not good!!  Need to work on that.

2015-01-15 6:48 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by bulfrog My choices have been ok, no junk food so far this week so that's an improvement and something I'm happy with

Congrats on making this improvement!!

2015-01-15 6:50 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by DBGlobal Mid-week report: one swim, one bike, and one run down. Seeing improvement in each. In my swim class, we had to do a set of 4x100 with each hundred getting faster. My slowest 100 was still faster than I've ever swam before, and I wasn't putting out a major effort. Tomorrow we're learning flip turns. I am not excited about it. I've tried on several occasions, and always end up smacking the bottom of the shallow end. My opinion is that I don't do them in an open water swim so they aren't necessary. At least that's the excuse I've made because I am so bad at them. At least there will be lifeguards.

I always get a ton of water up my nose when I try flip turns, and I finally just gave up :-)  Good luck with them!  And those are great improvements on the swim, keep it up! 

2015-01-15 7:08 AM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Midweek for me. Got one workout in, my run was cut short and turned into a power walk. I am evidently STILL not done with this flu. I traded a rest day for a workout day due to work travel and work dinner. I have a brick to do today. If I have to cut it short, I will be ticked off!

Flip turns: I don't do them, I learned how but I like to keep my pool times as close to a similar OW swim as possible. I try not to even push off very hard from the wall.

Looks like folks are making forward progress! That is good. Remember, sometimes staying in the same place is forward progress.

2015-01-15 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

hmmm.  Midweek was yesterday, so Monday was back to an old workout.  10 minutes on the trainer, jump off 10 push ups, and continue for an hour.  Then stretch, then drove 30 minutes for a trails meeting and back home..  Tuesday, I got home late for work, did a 30 minute walk on the treadmill at 5.0 angle and then drove 30 minutes to play music as a fund raiser.  Wednesday was an hour on the drainer and some stretching. 

2015-01-15 9:03 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by flip18436572

hmmm.  Midweek was yesterday, so Monday was back to an old workout.  10 minutes on the trainer, jump off 10 push ups, and continue for an hour.  Then stretch, then drove 30 minutes for a trails meeting and back home..  Tuesday, I got home late for work, did a 30 minute walk on the treadmill at 5.0 angle and then drove 30 minutes to play music as a fund raiser.  Wednesday was an hour on the drainer and some stretching. 

That trainer/pushup workout looks great. In a painful sort of way. I may add that to my Sunday long trainer ride.

2015-01-15 7:47 PM

User image

Vega Alta , Puerto Rico
So far for me, two runs and a ride. Another ride tomorrow Then a long(ish) run on Saturday and hopefully an extended ride on Sunday. Still getting used to the saddle. Have been limiting my rides to 30 minutes or less so its time to bring it up a bit. Next week: Swimming!!
2015-01-16 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by flip18436572

That trainer/pushup workout looks great. In a painful sort of way. I may add that to my Sunday long trainer ride.

I used to do this on my 50 plus mile trainer rides.  I would do 20 miles, then max out on pushups, then do crunches then back on the bike, and then do 10 miles repeat, repeat, etc...

Some days it was just all bike, but the change was good workouts of other parts of the body.  I can't wait until I am back to being able to do those longer rides again.  Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

2015-01-16 2:35 PM

User image

Bakersfield, California
NAME / username: Dante / dborradori

STORY: Several years ago I got into ultra distance cycling (100/200 miles per day) and at the same time started dabbling with tri. Dabbling led to becoming more tri focused and I was all the way up to doing HIM distance events. My wife got sick and I started working two jobs to make up for the loss of her income. That killed my competing and eventually my workouts too. Chronic fatigue combined with poor diet led to the return of the 70 pounds that I had lost. In October, I was able to quit the second job as my wife has finally been able to return to work fully. Right after I quit, I was in an accident that left my motorcycle and knee pretty totaled. Finally, after 3 months of crutches and multiple visits to the ortho doc, I am finally working to get off the crutches. I started back in the pool and weight room and that got the fire lit. I am starting to drop the weight and distances are going way up. I have now cleared to start dry land training too. It is like an addiction that is coming back really quickly. I will be only participating in AquaBikes from now on though. Trying to put off the total knee replacement for a while longer.

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for 17 years to my wonderful wife. We have 3 sons total, 2 together. We have been blessed with one grandson and a 2nd on the way.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently swimming and/or lifting 5-6 days per week. Swim workouts vary from 30-60 minutes in length. I also have water aerobic classes to help with the knee rehab. I have begun some stationary bike and hope to back on my real bike by Valentine's day.

2014 RACES: None

2015 Plans: Overall goal is to be strong enough for the Big Kahuna Half-AquaBike in September. There are a few shorter races near home in between.

WEIGHTLOSS: Yeah, I've got a long ways to go. Currently at 340lbs. (6'3") down from 375 last year. Looking to make 250. Disappointed that I didn't lose more, but hoping this year is my year. I need to work on staying motivated, and need to be better about diet. Currently tracking calories on MFP because that's what I need to do to hold myself accountable!
2015-01-16 3:32 PM
in reply to: dborradori

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by dborradori NAME / username: Dante / dborradori STORY: Several years ago I got into ultra distance cycling (100/200 miles per day) and at the same time started dabbling with tri. Dabbling led to becoming more tri focused and I was all the way up to doing HIM distance events. My wife got sick and I started working two jobs to make up for the loss of her income. That killed my competing and eventually my workouts too. Chronic fatigue combined with poor diet led to the return of the 70 pounds that I had lost. In October, I was able to quit the second job as my wife has finally been able to return to work fully. Right after I quit, I was in an accident that left my motorcycle and knee pretty totaled. Finally, after 3 months of crutches and multiple visits to the ortho doc, I am finally working to get off the crutches. I started back in the pool and weight room and that got the fire lit. I am starting to drop the weight and distances are going way up. I have now cleared to start dry land training too. It is like an addiction that is coming back really quickly. I will be only participating in AquaBikes from now on though. Trying to put off the total knee replacement for a while longer. FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for 17 years to my wonderful wife. We have 3 sons total, 2 together. We have been blessed with one grandson and a 2nd on the way. CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently swimming and/or lifting 5-6 days per week. Swim workouts vary from 30-60 minutes in length. I also have water aerobic classes to help with the knee rehab. I have begun some stationary bike and hope to back on my real bike by Valentine's day. 2014 RACES: None 2015 Plans: Overall goal is to be strong enough for the Big Kahuna Half-AquaBike in September. There are a few shorter races near home in between. WEIGHTLOSS: Yeah, I've got a long ways to go. Currently at 340lbs. (6'3") down from 375 last year. Looking to make 250. Disappointed that I didn't lose more, but hoping this year is my year. I need to work on staying motivated, and need to be better about diet. Currently tracking calories on MFP because that's what I need to do to hold myself accountable!

Welcome Dante.

2015-01-18 6:12 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Sunday update for me. Weight down a pound! This weeks goal is a minimum of 2 pounds!

I missed lots of my training, mostly for not feeling well enough. Dammit, it has been over a month!!! I am way behind. I hope to feel well enough to get it all in this week. If I can, I think I can still pull a HIM off. I mean, all I am trying to do is beat the cut-off time. So, I got my long swim and my long run in. Today will be long bike but I missed a swim, a run and a brick!!

Nutrition was great! I prepared salads and took them with me while traveling. Ate them all three days. Had an emergency and had to eat fast food. Had a salad at Subway. Dinners were pretty darn good.

This week should be pretty good (fingers crossed). My long run will be the Hot Chocolate run in Atlanta. The only problem may be getting my long bike in on Sunday due to travel time.

How is everyone doing?

2015-01-18 9:01 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
It's Sunday again...

260 flat. While that puts me down 3.5 this week, but still 3.5 behind my goal. I had a big "why" moment yesterday. 3 of my 4 kids bowl in Sat morning leagues. I was busy following #4 around (too young to participate, hehe) and got a glimpse of myself in a window. Not a pretty sight. I look at what I do and I honestly don't feel as big as I am. The straight-on shot in the bathroom mirror is also a huge lie . For me it was 50% soul-crushing and 50% conviction hardening. I'm trying to focus on the latter.

Not a great week training-wise, but I'm getting back up to full steam:

Swim: 2 sessions in the pool. 2750 total yards between distance swimming, kick drills and sprint drills. I tried pull buoy drills, but I kept sinking. Also gave kick flips another try and hit my head on the bottom of the pool... twice... Next Fri I'm going to talk to the head of the swim class and see how that works because I need more focused training.

Bike: No... This is bothering me. I'm planning on getting out this afternoon *crossing fingers*

Run: Planned 4 runs, managed 3. Same 1.62mi loop around my neighborhood. For me this is the weakest of the 3, by a huge margin. I'm still in Run/Walk phase. Made the loop in 24:03, 24:27 and ended with 23:06. The plan is to be able to run the full distance, then start adding more on Saturdays (long run) and adding speed on the other 2 days. I walked both of my sprints last year (May: injury, Sept: burned out on bike). I need to correct this. I'd also like to be at a sub-12:00 mile.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 37

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54405 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 68075 Posts: 1113

2013-12-30 2:13 PM Fechter99

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8711 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614

Athena group vs. Beginner Triathlete group

Started by Tri-Ro
Views: 2558 Posts: 6

2008-09-03 10:34 PM Artemis

Love Being an Athena/Clyde [Newbie] Because

Started by TriAya
Views: 3640 Posts: 25

2007-08-16 1:45 AM Iron_Gus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?