General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2015-01-23 10:35 AM
in reply to: #5085958

Subject: RE: 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Thanks for the tips. My hard workouts right now are mostly short, but hard efforts. My bike rides are usually 45-60 min and include high intensity intervals. Runs may be short and fast, or long and slow. I generally don't have a problem being hungry right after a workout, in fact, usually I can't eat for at least an hour after a hard bike or a run or else I get stomach cramps.

My problem is that the day after a hard workout, I feel like I am always hungry, no matter how much I eat. My guess is that it is my body's response to a calorie deficit. I can deal with this for the most part, but it makes the day pretty miserable. Where I am REALLY struggling is at the end of the week, I am tired and have no energy. And I'm assuming it's because I am consuming too few calories. I try to keep up with my caloric intake on my fitness pal, and replenish those calories I burned during workouts, but on days where I swim for 90 minutes in the morning, and then run for 45 minutes at lunch, MFP is estimating that I need to consume nearly 5000 calories! That's pretty tough to do on a mostly plant-based diet and I don't want to eat crap just to make up for a couple thousand calories.

Mostly I am just trying to figure out whether this is something my body will adapt to and this will eventually get easier, or if I need to change my eating habits.

this week I have seen the number on the scale creep up a little, but I'm not too worried right now, I had to cinch up another notch on the belt, and I noticed that some of my shirts are fitting a bit looser.

2015-01-23 12:46 PM
in reply to: DBGlobal

User image

Vega Alta , Puerto Rico
Just thinking outloud (or in writing)...

I have added everyone that has posted their handle over at MyFitnessPal and thought we could do a post with everyone who wishes to enter so we can add each other. We could do something with Strava or Garmin Connect or others as well.
2015-01-23 1:01 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by DBGlobal Thanks for the tips. My hard workouts right now are mostly short, but hard efforts. My bike rides are usually 45-60 min and include high intensity intervals. Runs may be short and fast, or long and slow. I generally don't have a problem being hungry right after a workout, in fact, usually I can't eat for at least an hour after a hard bike or a run or else I get stomach cramps. My problem is that the day after a hard workout, I feel like I am always hungry, no matter how much I eat. My guess is that it is my body's response to a calorie deficit. I can deal with this for the most part, but it makes the day pretty miserable. Where I am REALLY struggling is at the end of the week, I am tired and have no energy. And I'm assuming it's because I am consuming too few calories. I try to keep up with my caloric intake on my fitness pal, and replenish those calories I burned during workouts, but on days where I swim for 90 minutes in the morning, and then run for 45 minutes at lunch, MFP is estimating that I need to consume nearly 5000 calories! That's pretty tough to do on a mostly plant-based diet and I don't want to eat crap just to make up for a couple thousand calories. Mostly I am just trying to figure out whether this is something my body will adapt to and this will eventually get easier, or if I need to change my eating habits. this week I have seen the number on the scale creep up a little, but I'm not too worried right now, I had to cinch up another notch on the belt, and I noticed that some of my shirts are fitting a bit looser.

It is nice when you see those body composition changes!

My initial guess is that you are getting enough calories, but not enough protein. It is tough to get enough protein with plant-based solely. It can be done, though (I did for years, I now eat sea food, though). When you are training hard, you need protein to feed muscles and to help them heal. They suggest 1 gm protein for 1/2 your body weight for an active person. For example: a 200 pound person should eat 100 grams of protein a day. I have seen both higher and lower estimates. FWIW I notice I feel better, have more energy and don't get as tired or hungry if I get between 60 and 80 gms a day.

2015-01-23 11:23 PM
in reply to: uziel5000

User image

Bakersfield, California
Originally posted by uziel5000

I have added everyone that has posted their handle over at MyFitnessPal and thought we could do a post with everyone who wishes to enter so we can add each other. We could do something with Strava or Garmin Connect or others as well.

I am dborradori on MFP and [email protected] for endomondo
2015-01-25 8:43 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Sunday Update

260.0lbs = no change. After dropping 3.5 last week and with how this week ended, I can not be unhappy with that.

Swim: Didn't manage to get in the pool at all this week.
Bike: Single ride on Monday. 10.77 mi @ a dismal (for me) 14.7mph
Run: Single run on Tuesday. my usual 1.62mi loop in 22:31. Not only did I run the full first mile, but I averaged under 14:00/mi for the first time in a while

GAH!!!! now I have Frozen stuck in my head!!!!

Plank-a-day challenge: 0. I am now 9 behind total (started 4 days late). Plan to be caught up by next week.

Okay... well 2 of the first 3 toys for my bike are in my hot little hands. Since the BB on my bike is toast, and even though it's under warranty, I really don't care to send them the whole bike just to get the same... iffy... part again. So... I came in this morning to find a package on my desk. I open it up and I now have an FSA Square Taper BB and a Sunlite 53/39 crankset with 170mm cranks to install.... as soon as the tool shows up, lol!

(crank set.jpg)

(BB.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
crank set.jpg (1464KB - 5 downloads)
BB.jpg (1138KB - 5 downloads)
2015-01-25 10:14 AM

User image

Forgot to add that as of today I'm starting to log food again at MFP under WebFootFreak

2015-01-25 9:43 PM
in reply to: #5086334

Weekend Update: 2 swims, 3 bikes, and 2 1/3 runs. On Thursday I got started out on a run, and I was having some pain in my quad, so I ran a mile to see if it would loosen up, but it just got worse so I turned around and walked back. But on Saturday I ran 5 miles with no pain.

This week's goals: 2 swims, 3 bikes, and 3 runs. Last week I added volume, this week I am going to stick with pretty much the same routine, but maybe add a little to one of my runs. Next week I will add a little speed work into one run. Diet wise, I am going to try and add more protein.
2015-01-26 3:45 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Originally posted by bulfrog

Welcome to the group Kate. What Half Ironmen are you going to be doing? 2 before July is a big goal so good luck! Remember that before I let myself go, I completed a HIM back in 2013, so as you get closer to race date fire away any questions I can help with.

I'm doing the Outlaw half and IM Staffs 70.3. The timing is just sheer bad luck. They're both flat and highly competitive the former opened first with no facility to transfer or pull out without loosing all the fee and the latter is an inaugural race in my home county so I just couldn't miss it! It's going to be a long hard challenge.

At the moment I'v doing OK. The weight is coming off. I'm focussing on the day to day/week to week of sticking to the diet and trying to get the hours in. This week is going to be a challenge, it's the week with a lot of training load but I also have a conference at the weekend and fitting it all in will be tough.
2015-01-26 10:07 AM
in reply to: Kate_r

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Worked at the Iowa Bike Expo and donated a piece of art to the Iowa Bicycle Coalition for the RAGBRAI route announcement party, so the entire day was shot on Saturday, so I did some of my normal work at home stuff and decided I needed a workout about 1:00, so I started on the trainer and quite 2 hours later.  Did my quick routine near the end where I ride 10 minutes then jump off the bike and do 10 push ups and then bike 10 minutes and continued that for the last 40 minutes which was probably good, because I was getting a little sore near the end, so getting off the seat for a minute every 10 minutes was a blessing.

2015-01-26 1:50 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
My weekly update,

Ran 4 days for 7 runs and just over 2 hours total. Not what I had planned at the start of the week, but like i said midweek is a number I'm happy with. And allowed me to rest up a bit more.

Nutrition 4/7 days I was in my 1500-1800 Cal target range. Like I said the other day, I made some poor choices towards the end of the week. But over all the week was a pass. But I do need to turn those 2-3 bad meals a week, into 2-3 a month.

Weight, surprisingly good. Down 2.6lbs for the week, for a total of 8.6lbs over the 3 weeks of training for the year. I had expected no change or a small gain, so this was a nice surprise.

For the next week, i want to run for 2.5 hours total, and continue to make the right choice for my diet. Less bad meals, more planning ahead.
2015-01-26 2:15 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by DBGlobal

MFP is estimating that I need to consume nearly 5000 calories!

I just want to say something here, But first only you know if you're happy with the speed of your weight loss, And if you're loosing your 1-2lbs a week as you want to then please feel free to ignore what I'm going to say.

This is for everyone on MFP, or a similar program.

My Fitness Pal (and your Garmin, and your treadmill etc.) MASSIVELY overestimates the calories that you burn during exercise. When this is combined with underestimating how many calories you eat (We all do this to some degree) eating back all the exercise calories MFP calculates for you can be a huge problem.

When I was in the peak of my HIM training. (i.e Running 40km/week, cycling +6 hours/week Swiming 1-2 hours/week) I was eating a target of about 2,500 cal. Now I know that everyone is different. But 5,000 Cal/day whilst expecting weight loss seems huge to me. if i imputed all my workouts into MFP, the target would have been much higher than that tho.

If you're working out for over 2 hours a day, like your post says, then yes, you do need to eat something extra. But I struggle to believe that it should be this much.

Remember, hunger is fat leaving the body. We're all trying to lose here. We're supposed to be hungry, at least some of the time.

2015-01-26 2:26 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by WebFootFreak
Okay... well 2 of the first 3 toys for my bike are in my hot little hands.

Ooooo pretty toys. Make sure you show us some photos of your newly updated and improved steed when she's finished.

Those parts have to be worth +1mph
2015-01-26 2:37 PM
in reply to: dborradori

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by dborradori

Originally posted by uziel5000

I am dborradori on MFP and [email protected] for endomondo

I posted it before, but I'm bulfrognz at MFP, anyone who want's to add me who hasn't please feel free.

I don't use Strava or Garmin connect, but my trainging log is at RunningAhead.com, username bulfrog
2015-01-27 8:34 AM

User image

I've added all requests on MFP.

Had an interesting day yesterday. I blinked out for a few seconds behind the wheel on the way home yesterday. I checked my glucose when I got home, and it was 85 or 86 (it's a little fuzzy). Long story short, after I destroyed my diet last night, I'm feeling much better today. I have an appt @1600 today with my Dr, so we'll see how it goes!

*crossing fingers for 3rd reduction in meds in 2 years*
2015-01-27 9:19 AM

User image

Vega Alta , Puerto Rico
Totally true about the high margin of error with calories on these places. Can't talk about all of them but in reference to Garmin Connect, there are things you can do to make it a bit more accurate. Everything has a margin of error of course but you can tweak the data in your favor (and by that I mean make it more accurate) by filling your profile with as much info as you can give regarding age, updating your weight and calculating as best you can, your heart rate zones. The more information you feed Garmin Connect, the better the calorie estimation.

Again, it's never gonna be 100% accurate but updating your entire profile and keeping all you stats up to date will help a lot.

Originally posted by DBGlobal

MFP is estimating that I need to consume nearly 5000 calories!

I just want to say something here, But first only you know if you're happy with the speed of your weight loss, And if you're loosing your 1-2lbs a week as you want to then please feel free to ignore what I'm going to say.

This is for everyone on MFP, or a similar program.

My Fitness Pal (and your Garmin, and your treadmill etc.) MASSIVELY overestimates the calories that you burn during exercise. When this is combined with underestimating how many calories you eat (We all do this to some degree) eating back all the exercise calories MFP calculates for you can be a huge problem.

When I was in the peak of my HIM training. (i.e Running 40km/week, cycling +6 hours/week Swiming 1-2 hours/week) I was eating a target of about 2,500 cal. Now I know that everyone is different. But 5,000 Cal/day whilst expecting weight loss seems huge to me. if i imputed all my workouts into MFP, the target would have been much higher than that tho.

If you're working out for over 2 hours a day, like your post says, then yes, you do need to eat something extra. But I struggle to believe that it should be this much.

Remember, hunger is fat leaving the body. We're all trying to lose here. We're supposed to be hungry, at least some of the time.
2015-01-27 3:57 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak I've added all requests on MFP. Had an interesting day yesterday. I blinked out for a few seconds behind the wheel on the way home yesterday. I checked my glucose when I got home, and it was 85 or 86 (it's a little fuzzy). Long story short, after I destroyed my diet last night, I'm feeling much better today. I have an appt @1600 today with my Dr, so we'll see how it goes! *crossing fingers for 3rd reduction in meds in 2 years*

That is NOT good! Hope you get it all figured out today at the Doc.

2015-01-27 3:59 PM
in reply to: uziel5000

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by uziel5000 Totally true about the high margin of error with calories on these places. Can't talk about all of them but in reference to Garmin Connect, there are things you can do to make it a bit more accurate. Everything has a margin of error of course but you can tweak the data in your favor (and by that I mean make it more accurate) by filling your profile with as much info as you can give regarding age, updating your weight and calculating as best you can, your heart rate zones. The more information you feed Garmin Connect, the better the calorie estimation. Again, it's never gonna be 100% accurate but updating your entire profile and keeping all you stats up to date will help a lot.
Originally posted by DBGlobal MFP is estimating that I need to consume nearly 5000 calories!
I just want to say something here, But first only you know if you're happy with the speed of your weight loss, And if you're loosing your 1-2lbs a week as you want to then please feel free to ignore what I'm going to say. This is for everyone on MFP, or a similar program. My Fitness Pal (and your Garmin, and your treadmill etc.) MASSIVELY overestimates the calories that you burn during exercise. When this is combined with underestimating how many calories you eat (We all do this to some degree) eating back all the exercise calories MFP calculates for you can be a huge problem. When I was in the peak of my HIM training. (i.e Running 40km/week, cycling +6 hours/week Swiming 1-2 hours/week) I was eating a target of about 2,500 cal. Now I know that everyone is different. But 5,000 Cal/day whilst expecting weight loss seems huge to me. if i imputed all my workouts into MFP, the target would have been much higher than that tho. If you're working out for over 2 hours a day, like your post says, then yes, you do need to eat something extra. But I struggle to believe that it should be this much. Remember, hunger is fat leaving the body. We're all trying to lose here. We're supposed to be hungry, at least some of the time.

I have actually found that the BT logger is more accurate than MFP or CalorieCount that I was using before. I tried it because I was getting tired of using so many different sites for logging food, workouts, etc. I rolled it all into one and have been really pleased.

2015-01-27 7:08 PM
in reply to: #5087069

User image

I'm on my phone so I can't quote...

I am in a VERY good mood right now. Had my time with the Dr today. Told him what happened and he said that 85 wasn't low enough to cause that. He ran my A1C anyways and it came back at 5.3. With that number and my Metformin dose... He has taken me completely off that med!!! I am officially no longer classified as diabetic!!!!

Now, as to my little phase-out, he's thinking heart. He gave me an EKG, which I passed with flying colors. He said that if I have another episode, he's going to throw the testing book at me (ie: stress test, etc). So right now, all is good and I only have my BP meds left... but that may never completely go away.
2015-01-27 7:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak I'm on my phone so I can't quote... I am in a VERY good mood right now. Had my time with the Dr today. Told him what happened and he said that 85 wasn't low enough to cause that. He ran my A1C anyways and it came back at 5.3. With that number and my Metformin dose... He has taken me completely off that med!!! I am officially no longer classified as diabetic!!!! Now, as to my little phase-out, he's thinking heart. He gave me an EKG, which I passed with flying colors. He said that if I have another episode, he's going to throw the testing book at me (ie: stress test, etc). So right now, all is good and I only have my BP meds left... but that may never completely go away.

Fantastic! That is great news about no ore diabetes. Now, no getting the book thrown at you, either! No more incidents!

Edited by ceilidh 2015-01-27 7:25 PM
2015-01-27 7:29 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

I'm on my phone so I can't quote...

I am in a VERY good mood right now. Had my time with the Dr today. Told him what happened and he said that 85 wasn't low enough to cause that. He ran my A1C anyways and it came back at 5.3. With that number and my Metformin dose... He has taken me completely off that med!!! I am officially no longer classified as diabetic!!!!

Now, as to my little phase-out, he's thinking heart. He gave me an EKG, which I passed with flying colors. He said that if I have another episode, he's going to throw the testing book at me (ie: stress test, etc). So right now, all is good and I only have my BP meds left... but that may never completely go away.

So you're saying that your lifestyle changes, like taking on triathlons has made diabetes disappear? That's awesome news!

If that isn't inspirational for the rest of the group I don't know what is.
2015-01-28 8:28 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak I'm on my phone so I can't quote... I am in a VERY good mood right now. Had my time with the Dr today. Told him what happened and he said that 85 wasn't low enough to cause that. He ran my A1C anyways and it came back at 5.3. With that number and my Metformin dose... He has taken me completely off that med!!! I am officially no longer classified as diabetic!!!! Now, as to my little phase-out, he's thinking heart. He gave me an EKG, which I passed with flying colors. He said that if I have another episode, he's going to throw the testing book at me (ie: stress test, etc). So right now, all is good and I only have my BP meds left... but that may never completely go away.
So you're saying that your lifestyle changes, like taking on triathlons has made diabetes disappear? That's awesome news! If that isn't inspirational for the rest of the group I don't know what is.

Fantastic news, congratulations!!

2015-01-30 10:16 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Is it too late to join group??
2015-01-30 1:01 PM
in reply to: hossnfeffer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by hossnfeffer Is it too late to join group??
Hop on in, the water is fine. Tell us some about yourself.

2015-02-01 7:23 AM
in reply to: hossnfeffer

User image

Originally posted by hossnfeffer

Is it too late to join group??

Never!! Cannonball into the deep end with the rise of us!
2015-02-01 7:52 AM

User image

Sunday Update:

Mixed feelings this week... but overall still doing the Snoopy Dance! I weighed in mid-week at 256, but had a rocky weekend (Fri/Sat for me) from a dieting standpoint and ended up at 257.5. I am still down 2.5 this week which still rocks, but since I know I was lower on Wed it puts a bit of a damper on it. So... I am officially back at my Jan 1 starting point... it's been worse, lol!

Okay, since I'm on MFP, I'm going to add diet in with my S/B/R since accountability is the name of the game... and I'm here to play.

Diet: Overall pretty good. I was under 5/7 days although Fri was right at the line, and very questionable. I made homemade Pizza and Bruschetta. I did use mostly fresh ingredients and turkey pepperoni and sausage. I was rushed, so I didn't pay attention to how much of what I put on there, so I SWAG'd it and threw 1700 calories at that one meal... Not accurate, but I was hoping to at least keep it in the ballpark... Monday is the day I had the episode that sent me to the Dr, and I overcompensated food-wise during dinner. Yesterday was the killer though... Lazy was the name of the game and I honestly believe that is 75% of the reason I didn't maintain my 256 mid-week weight.

Swim: Happy with 2 sessions in the pool after being left high and dry last week. Got a good 1250 distance swim in Friday morning. Won't be long until I'm back at 2000+ yds on my long swims.

Bike: Nope. This is where the other 25% of my lack of maintenance went. I hate the idea that I wasted $$$ on a trainer I'm not using. Plus the temps were niiiice for a couple of days and I didn't take advantage. I know exactly who's to blame.

Run: A good week for my weakest link. I wanted to run 4 days, but only managed 3. Last Sun, I ran my 1.62 mi loop in 21:36 (13:21/mi). Tues saw that same loop at 20:53 (12:55/mi - YAY!!) and I only walked about 40yds in the middle and for cooldown. I felt good Thurs... and I just kept going. I was going a touch slower aiming for a full run and when I got to my stop point, I felt good enough to keep going and add in the next section. I Ran 2.01mi (no w/u or c/d logged) in 27:26 (13:38/mi). I'm 2/3 of the way back to a full 5K. I guess the questions are: 1) Will I make it to 10K before my first race (mid-May)? And 2) Will I be able to make my goal of a sub-36:00 run leg? I honestly, don't know... But I'm going to find out

Okay... Goals... I'm going to KISS it this week... I know I'm only going to get 1 swim in so... 1S/2B/4R for training, and 6/7 days under for caloric intake. That sounds like I'd be keeping it simple, yes?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 37

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54495 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 68151 Posts: 1113

2013-12-30 2:13 PM Fechter99

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8743 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614

Athena group vs. Beginner Triathlete group

Started by Tri-Ro
Views: 2568 Posts: 6

2008-09-03 10:34 PM Artemis

Love Being an Athena/Clyde [Newbie] Because

Started by TriAya
Views: 3646 Posts: 25

2007-08-16 1:45 AM Iron_Gus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?