General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2015-01-06 7:21 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

This is for the 2015 version. 2014 was good might as well continue.

Ok Figure we could use a new thread. Might as well right?

Edited by chirunner134 2015-01-06 7:22 AM

2015-01-06 7:31 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

New year, New thread!

Here we go!

2015-01-06 7:41 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
GROUP FOCUS: weight loss and getting healthy

NAME: Todd

STORY:

FAMILY STATUS: Living with soon to be baby momma.

CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly running but going to add in biking and swimming soon.

2014 RACES:
ITU Chicago Sprint
US Nationals Age Group Championship

2015 RACES:
Cary Grove Half Marathon
Chicago Marathon
ITU Chicago (Maybe?)

WEIGHTLOSS: Some Illnesses the last Couple of years which really slowed me down and put on weight,. Lost 26 lbs in 2014 and I like to lose atleast more than that in 2015. My success I feel is switching to low carb diet. I am going to continue that in the new year.
2015-01-06 9:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I'll Play!

NAME: Rick

STORY: Under the Bleachers by Seymour Butts.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 4 kids (15B, 9G, 6G, 2G). Wife works nights which makes training interesting

CURRENT TRAINING: Just restarted my 2S/2B/3R plan from '14, but training to Oly distances this time. Also Amy (my wife) is training for her first sprint as well. She is shooting for Riverbluff. I need to do more research because my 2 oldest girls want to run a kids tri as well.

2014 RACES:
Memphis in May Sprint
Riverbluff Sprint (Nashville)

2015 RACES:
Warrior Dash, AR
Memphis in May Sprint
Mighty Mite P2P Sprint
Riverbluff Sprint
St Jude HM

WEIGHTLOSS: Went from 280 to 260 in '13 (July-Dec). Finished at 257.5 in '14. Goal for this year is 26lb and to stay injury free. Oh yeah.... also to SMASH my PRs from '14.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2015-01-06 9:04 AM
2015-01-06 9:57 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Found it.

NAME: Mike

STORY: Haven't seen South of 300# since 1988. Got close once, back in 2003. Trying again.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 33 years and counting. 1 daughter and 2 grandsons living in NY

CURRENT TRAINING: Nothing since the week before Thanksgiving, sprained knee. Can't even walk normal yet.

2012 - Blueman Sprint Triathlon
2013 - Injured in May, lost the season to surgery/recovery.
2014 - Lost the season to depression/apathy.

2015 - Planned
May 10 - Kinetic Sprint Triathlon - Lake Anna, VA
August 9 - Lumberjack Sprint Triathlon - Duboistown, PA
October 4 - Richmond Rox Olympic - Richmond, VA
2015-01-06 1:23 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
New thread for a new year, so I'll post this again

NAME: Andrew

STORY:

My story is a long one, so here is the cliff notes version.

I'm 30 years old, and live in Auckland, New Zealand

My triathlon journey began way back in 2009. In June I weighed 300lbs. It was too much, I dieted and started running, by the end of the year I ran my first half marathon in 2hr 20min and weighed 220lbs. in April 2010 I did a duathlon (8km run, 80km bike, 8km run) and caught the multisport bug.

Over the next few years my weight yo-yoed up and down, and I completed 5 Half marathons, 7 sprint triathlons, 1 Oly, and 1 Half Ironman. For anyone interested, my race reports can be found here: http://andygetsfit.blogspot.co.nz/p/race-reports.html

I was at the peak of my fitness in the summer 2013-14, I weighed 207lbs and completed my Oly and HIM

Since then however, I lost my mojo, gained almost all my weight back and lost all of my fitness. So I'm beginning again, pretty much from square one.

FAMILY STATUS:

Just married, in November 2014. No children, although there is likely going to be a puppy joining us in the next few months.

CURRENT TRAINING:

Starting from zero. For the next few weeks at least I'll just be running as I get myself used to working out regularly again. I'm aiming to run regularly, some days morning and night, but for a short duration per run. As my cardio can't handle a long run yet, and neither can my over weight body. I am a bit nervous about long runs putting too much stress on my knees etc. before I lose some weight.

2014 RACES/ results

No races in 2014

2015 plans and RACES:

The first race on my calendar is going to be a local sprint tri on April 19. The plan is to lose weight, workout consistently and get back to a fit, healthy state.

WEIGHTLOSS:

Currently I'm 293lbs. My ultimate goal would be 175, but at the moment that's dreamland stuff. So my immediate goal is 220lbs. Apart from the increased exercise I'll be using myfitnesspal to track my calories. Initially I'm aiming for 1500-1800 Cal/day. As i get fitter and am able to workout more that will be reviewed. This is what I did when I got to my fittest, and lightest, back at the start of 2013.

2015-01-06 1:31 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Ok, here's a mid week update for me.

Workouts: Short runs Monday morning and evening, Tuesday morning, and Wednesday morning. So I've done everything I wanted to do so far this week. The runs are slow, and hard. But at least they are getting done. I'm hopping that getting up early to run starts getting easier, because at the moment it sucks!

Diet: Monday I was late in the morning so ended up buying breakfast on the way to work = over the Calorie goals for the day
Tuesday, good day, 1625 Cal, right in the target zone. So a 50% win record for the week so far.

How's everybody else's week going so far?
2015-01-06 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

NAME: Phil

STORY: Worked hard for my first tri 5 years ago and did a mini-sprint and then a 70.3, then went to work as a plant manager and lost all will power and started drinking too much.  First time I am over 300 pounds ever and I am really disappointed in myself.  I thought 2014 would be my year, but things at work didn't help my working out at all and two family weddings had me working on artwork and not on health.  2015 is going to be a huge change

FAMILY STATUS: Married (26 years and still going)  2 daughters and they are both married and living many hours from home. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing only bike on the trainer for now with walking on the treadmill.  If I do any jogging, my knees are swollen for days at a time and I can't do much for those days.

My plans are for a 100 lbs of fat gone from my body in 2015 and that means less than 2 lbs per week on average of fat loss.  I am doing RAGBRAI again this year with my family as a vacation and my wife is doing the full route also, so we are hoping for a great workout winter.  I bought her a new trainer for Christmas and put her bike on it on the 26th while she was at work.  I don't know if I will do a tri in 2015, but that will all depend upon my weight loss.  I am not planning on anything drastic, but I am going to work out a minimum of 6 days a week and some of those will be 2 a day work outs as my work schedule will allow.  I don't want to share pictures, as I am pretty embarrassed of my current body.

2015-01-06 2:05 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Here is my bio

Name: Robin,  I am 54 yrs old (damn that is hard to type). I started tri-s when I was  48, probably as a mid-life crisis solution. I didn't want a boyfriend (since I have a perfectly trained husband) and couldn't afford a sports car. Seriously, I was over weight and needed a change. I was dropping my poundage and started running. I had mountain biked a lot previously and have always loved the water. Someone suggested a triathlon and somehow, something that I would have laughed till I cried thinking about, seemed like a possibility. I did my first 5 K and felt like a hero. I did my first sprint that year and felt like a goddess. A slow goddess, but one non-the-less. Without a goal, I struggled for a while then had a series of health issues that kept moving forward from happening. I did a couple of HM's but that was all. Got things figured out health wise and restarted real training within the bounds of my life restraints. I gained back most of the weight  in the interim, but sucked it up and did a couple more sprints and OLYs as the Old Fat Lady. My focus now is to keep moving forward, losing the poundage (30  or so pounds) and getting the training in for my first HIM this March. I was doing pretty well with that then a mid- December trip, food poisoning and the flue triple-wammed me last month at Christmas and now I am working on getting well and getting back to it. I don't want to move down to an OLY at this race, but it is my fall back spot. I wanted this to be my bucket list HIM and then not have to worry about doing one again.

I am married (20 years and counting) with two grown step-kids, a dog and cats.

FWIW: my screen name is pronounced Cay-Lee and it is a Gaelic word meaning an impromptu music gathering. Usually at a bar

2015-01-06 6:41 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by ceilidhName: Robin,  I am 54 yrs old (damn that is hard to type).
Don't sweat it Robin. I'm 56. And like you, I am just trying to get that HIM off the bucket list before my knees give out and I can't jog anymore. Not that I jog much at 360+ anyway. And I won't really care, as long as I beat that 9 hour time limit.
2015-01-06 6:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Robin, Rick, and Todd - FYI

peto primo has started a Winter Weight Reduction thread in the Tri'ing for Weightloss forum like the one we did for the Christmas Countdown. It runs until March 21, the first day of spring.

That's 11 weeks away and I want to drop at least 16.6 lbs by then, under 350 for the first time in 10 years.

It's open to anyone who's interested, it's just that I remember those three participating last time.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2015-01-06 6:49 PM

2015-01-06 7:14 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Robin, Rick, and Todd - FYI peto primo has started a Winter Weight Reduction thread in the Tri'ing for Weightloss forum like the one we did for the Christmas Countdown. It runs until March 21, the first day of spring. That's 11 weeks away and I want to drop at least 16.6 lbs by then, under 350 for the first time in 10 years. It's open to anyone who's interested, it's just that I remember those three participating last time.

Thanks for the heads up!

2015-01-06 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I would love to join. I have started a mentor group here, but it has so many I feel lost in the shuffle. I also need a weight loss disciplined focus and this looks like the place to be.

NAME: Amy Mutz, 53, Haubstadt, Indiana

STORY: In 2007 I began my triathlon journey... In 2007-08-09-10-11 I completed various 5k's, 1/2's and a Marathon. I also did several sprint triathlons, two Olympics, and attempted a HIM but didn't finish the run in the time limit.
In 2012 I had a family tragedy, and I lost my brother at 48 and my niece at 26, we also had three other family deaths that same year. I am a very strong person and believe in God's purpose, but I have struggled with my family and myself grief. Through this difficult transition in life I gained 50lbs and I feel the weight literally weighs me down physically and mentally. I feel I am finally at a place to begin my passion of triathlons again, and I'm very excited to have the focus back, I do love the feeling I get from challenging myself.
So I'm back to Tri-again!!

FAMILY STATUS: Married, two grown children, an awesome walking/running partner, my dog Tribi (Tribulation Force!)

I'm currently attending college full time to become a Social Worker in the area of Hospice.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently back to swimming once a week, cross fit twice a week, walk/run three times a week, and I have a spin bike that I'm doing virtual training on three times a week.

My last Tri was August 2012, I wasn't totally prepared, but it was like a statement that I had proof of life again.

2015 RACES: 5k's, 8k, 10k, 1/2 marathon, YMCA Indoor Tri Jan 25th, June 13th Lakewood Valley Sprint Tri, Sis Tryathlon June 14, August 15 Spirit Mind Body Sprint Tri. I know this is challenging, but goals make me motivated... So let the fun begin!!!

WEIGHTLOSS: I have 50 pounds to lose to feel lighter and be easier on this old 53 year old body.

I would love to join a group of like-minded people to encourage and be encouraged.
2015-01-06 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey Andrew!

Sounds like "Dreamland" is in sight for you...one day at a time. I understand your challenges and losing your mojo, I am also on my way back to "Dreamland." I am also doing "MyfitnessPal" for accountability and a clear consumption of calories.

I wish you the best on your journey back! Don't look back, only forward!!

Amy
2015-01-06 9:35 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey Phil!

It's sounds like you want the weight loss and therefore it's in your grasp... I feel each time we begin again we are one step closer to accomplishing our goals! Don't lose heart, use it to get healthy. I know it's very hard to stay in the zone, motivated or continue to desire the pain and sweat because of the seemingly slow physical results. I hope you find the encouragement here to keep moving forward!

Best of luck on your journey!!
Amy
2015-01-06 9:39 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good luck Mike!!

I hope your walking normal soon and can continue on your adventure to triathlons!!

Amy

2015-01-07 6:22 AM
in reply to: amy mutz

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by amy mutz I would love to join. I have started a mentor group here, but it has so many I feel lost in the shuffle. I also need a weight loss disciplined focus and this looks like the place to be. NAME: Amy Mutz, 53, Haubstadt, Indiana STORY: In 2007 I began my triathlon journey... In 2007-08-09-10-11 I completed various 5k's, 1/2's and a Marathon. I also did several sprint triathlons, two Olympics, and attempted a HIM but didn't finish the run in the time limit. In 2012 I had a family tragedy, and I lost my brother at 48 and my niece at 26, we also had three other family deaths that same year. I am a very strong person and believe in God's purpose, but I have struggled with my family and myself grief. Through this difficult transition in life I gained 50lbs and I feel the weight literally weighs me down physically and mentally. I feel I am finally at a place to begin my passion of triathlons again, and I'm very excited to have the focus back, I do love the feeling I get from challenging myself. So I'm back to Tri-again!! FAMILY STATUS: Married, two grown children, an awesome walking/running partner, my dog Tribi (Tribulation Force!) I'm currently attending college full time to become a Social Worker in the area of Hospice. CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently back to swimming once a week, cross fit twice a week, walk/run three times a week, and I have a spin bike that I'm doing virtual training on three times a week. My last Tri was August 2012, I wasn't totally prepared, but it was like a statement that I had proof of life again. 2015 RACES: 5k's, 8k, 10k, 1/2 marathon, YMCA Indoor Tri Jan 25th, June 13th Lakewood Valley Sprint Tri, Sis Tryathlon June 14, August 15 Spirit Mind Body Sprint Tri. I know this is challenging, but goals make me motivated... So let the fun begin!!! WEIGHTLOSS: I have 50 pounds to lose to feel lighter and be easier on this old 53 year old body. I would love to join a group of like-minded people to encourage and be encouraged.

Welcome Amy! It sounds like you sure were hit with a semi-truck of life! Welcome back! Wow, a Hospice Social Worker. That means you are working on your wings and halo, too. Those folks are angels. I am amazed at the strength of you folks. Sounds like you have some great training going on, too,

2015-01-07 8:55 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Hi, I'd like to jump in on this!

NAME: Jen

STORY:  I've been doing triathlons for awhile, but took a 3 year hiatus and just started back up in 2014.  I joined a triathlon team (with coach) and had a goal to do (attempt) Ironman before I turn 40, so this is my last chance....

FAMILY STATUS: 38 years old, live in Fairfax, VA, single, no children (except animals).

CURRENT TRAINING:  Ramping up again after a slightly lazy off-season, swimming twice a week, biking twice a week (even tried my first winter outdoor ride!) and run/walking 3-4 times per week.

2014 RACES:  A bunch, 3 triathlons (though swim was canceled in one), open water swims - all my race reports are on my blog:  http://jengottatri.blogspot.com

2015 RACES:
- Charlottesville Half Marathon
- Kinetic Half Aqua-Bike
- Eagleman 70.3
- Swim for Life 2.4mi
- Challenge/Rev3 Poconos Half
- Ironman Maryland

WEIGHT LOSS:  I'm working with a nutritionist and was down 19 pounds before the holidays.. now I'm up 4 from that and hoping to get down at least 30 more over the next 6 months.

2015-01-07 9:11 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by amy mutz Hey Andrew! Sounds like "Dreamland" is in sight for you...one day at a time. I understand your challenges and losing your mojo, I am also on my way back to "Dreamland." I am also doing "MyfitnessPal" for accountability and a clear consumption of calories. I wish you the best on your journey back! Don't look back, only forward!! Amy

I am doing MyFitnessPal also.  I'm jenstewey on that if anyone wants to "friend" me and hold each other accountable!

2015-01-07 9:36 AM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sounds great Jen! I am "amymutz" on MyFitnessPal.
2015-01-07 9:48 AM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by jenstewey

Hi, I'd like to jump in on this!

NAME: Jen

STORY:  I've been doing triathlons for awhile, but took a 3 year hiatus and just started back up in 2014.  I joined a triathlon team (with coach) and had a goal to do (attempt) Ironman before I turn 40, so this is my last chance....

FAMILY STATUS: 38 years old, live in Fairfax, VA, single, no children (except animals).

CURRENT TRAINING:  Ramping up again after a slightly lazy off-season, swimming twice a week, biking twice a week (even tried my first winter outdoor ride!) and run/walking 3-4 times per week.

2014 RACES:  A bunch, 3 triathlons (though swim was canceled in one), open water swims - all my race reports are on my blog:  http://jengottatri.blogspot.com

2015 RACES:
- Charlottesville Half Marathon
- Kinetic Half Aqua-Bike
- Eagleman 70.3
- Swim for Life 2.4mi
- Challenge/Rev3 Poconos Half
- Ironman Maryland

WEIGHT LOSS:  I'm working with a nutritionist and was down 19 pounds before the holidays.. now I'm up 4 from that and hoping to get down at least 30 more over the next 6 months.

Welcome! There are bunches of folks I know that are doing IM Maryland. I may have to volunteer there to meet you all. That would be fun if I can work out the travel.

2015-01-07 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you Robin! I am so glad to have found this group, it's like it was meant to be!!

BT is where I found myself before, about 7 years ago, I am hoping to do the same in 2015!!
2015-01-07 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Robin,
It sounds like your one tough person. You did a couple of HIM's "but that's all," wow I attempted one and didn't make the run time cut-off, I would love to attempt another.
Sounds like we have some of the same goals and desires, I'm glad I found this thread to become a part of such a strong group!!

Let the training begin!!! The journey is before us and nothing can stop us, well maybe something, but we will deal with it and then move forward!!
2015-01-07 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fitness so far this week is on track: 1-Virtual Spin-hard, two walk/run-hard and cold, 1-swim-moderate. Today is Crossfit and walk/run, my walk/run at this point is anywhere from 13 to 16 pace depending...I hope to get to a 10:30 pace by summer.
2015-01-07 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by amy mutz Hey Phil! It's sounds like you want the weight loss and therefore it's in your grasp... I feel each time we begin again we are one step closer to accomplishing our goals! Don't lose heart, use it to get healthy. I know it's very hard to stay in the zone, motivated or continue to desire the pain and sweat because of the seemingly slow physical results. I hope you find the encouragement here to keep moving forward! Best of luck on your journey!! Amy

Thanks Amy.  I have been there before, and was so worried about my job and making money for the family that my work hours were so long, that I let everything else go.  I am making that change, and actually started in early December, but was away from home quite a bit, so I didn't get any of my style of work outs in.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 37

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54414 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 68079 Posts: 1113

2013-12-30 2:13 PM Fechter99

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8713 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614

Athena group vs. Beginner Triathlete group

Started by Tri-Ro
Views: 2558 Posts: 6

2008-09-03 10:34 PM Artemis

Love Being an Athena/Clyde [Newbie] Because

Started by TriAya
Views: 3640 Posts: 25

2007-08-16 1:45 AM Iron_Gus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?