General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-07-12 8:59 PM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Austin
Subject: RE: Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread
I am in! Registered today. Start my 20 week training plan tomorrow morning.

I did IM Louisville 5 years ago and several HIM races over the past few years. But the past couple of years it has been mostly short course races.

Curious how Cozumel's heat and humidity will be in late November?

Very excited to be signed up for another long course event.

Good luck training, and stay healthy everyone! Getting to the starting line is half of the battle!

Be strong-
Brian

2015-07-13 7:32 AM
in reply to: brianesmith92

User image

Depends where you come from. Locall find it "cold" and break out the sweatshirts I'm fron california, been twice during IM week (diving not racing ) and it's 85 ish and pretty humid for me, but noce. Good luck!
2015-08-17 11:09 AM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Master
Hey All,
Just signed up.
IMCoz was my first in 2010, my 4th in 2012 and will be my 7th this year!

I have flown in to Cancun and used the bus/ferry router in the past.
I am flying into Cancun, but debating the Maya Air to cozumel. Has anyone done that? Will they take a bike box?

Thanks for the feedback!
2015-08-30 8:09 AM
in reply to: eliwashere

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
How is everyone doing with the training?

This is the slowest thread, but then again BT has been slowing down anyway. Anyone here that has used Tribike transport? I m thinking of doing it to avoid the hassle of traveling with the bike on a plane abs ferry.

Elias....in 2010 my friend did take the small plane from Cancun to Coz with her bike with no problem.

How is the ferry ride? How long is it? Did u get the ferry tickets once you were in Cancun?

Are u guys here on a FB Cozumel page? The one I have seen is not very active at all.

Hoping everyone is having fun training :-)
2015-08-31 8:57 AM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
I've got no problems recommending TriBike Transport. I used TBT last year. The year before I dragged my bike box down on the plane. I was very happy with the TBT service. Bike arrived in one piece at the pick up area - basically in the parking lot behind the Mega store. I used the valet since I am slow and I knew I would be tired. It's one less worry. Picked up all my bags next morning, took the pedals off, went to breakfast, and the bike showed up at local bike store a week later. Easy, and worth the price in my mind.
2015-08-31 4:26 PM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by exnavydoc

I've got no problems recommending TriBike Transport. I used TBT last year. The year before I dragged my bike box down on the plane. I was very happy with the TBT service. Bike arrived in one piece at the pick up area - basically in the parking lot behind the Mega store. I used the valet since I am slow and I knew I would be tired. It's one less worry. Picked up all my bags next morning, took the pedals off, went to breakfast, and the bike showed up at local bike store a week later. Easy, and worth the price in my mind.

Thank you! I'm going to do it :-)

2015-08-31 5:16 PM

User image

How is the ferry ride? How long is it? Did u get the ferry tickets once you were in Cancun?

Depends on the weather

45 minutes

buy tickets in Playa del Carmen across the street from the ferry landing

2015-09-15 11:18 PM

New user

Cedar Park, Texas
OK - DUDE - I'm officially on a plan, now, too. Looking forward to the next 12 week journey. A little overwhelmed at how much work lies ahead.
2015-10-22 4:54 PM
in reply to: Jeff B

New user

Cedar Park, Texas
This sure has been a quiet group! Anyone getting excited about IM Cozumel?
Looking forward to the warm and beautiful weather... hopefully.

Are y'all bringing your own nutrition and water for the event? Or, has anyone had any issue from previous races in Mexico?

Just curious..
2015-10-22 5:06 PM
in reply to: #5119195

User image

Austin
I am bringing my own gels and drinking the water on the course.

In the teeth of the peak training distances this week and the next couple. So far no burnout but I suspect that might be getting ready to change.

Anybody else?
2015-10-23 5:34 AM
in reply to: jholst

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
I am excited! This is my favorite race :-)

I did the race in 2010 and never had a problem with the water. It was bottled water even on the run. I brought my own nutrition for the bike and some of my fav gels for the run but I pretty much relied on their nutrition for the run.

It was a grade A in organization in 2010 so I'm hoping it is still!

When is everyone getting there?

2015-10-23 5:34 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
I am excited! This is my favorite race :-)

I did the race in 2010 and never had a problem with the water. It was bottled water even on the run. I brought my own nutrition for the bike and some of my fav gels for the run but I pretty much relied on their nutrition for the run.

It was a grade A in organization in 2010 so I'm hoping it is still!

When is everyone getting there?
2015-10-23 12:23 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
I'm bringing my own nutrition because I don't care for the gels (Fuel2Go)or the bars (Kind, I think) provided. Participated in 2010 and 2014. No problems with the fluids provided either year. Arriving Wednesday to spend Thanksgiving in Cozumel! We decided to fly to Cancun (cheap) and take the ferry.
2015-11-28 6:27 AM

User image

Master
Hey All,
Hope everyone arrived safely and is settled in!
Heading out to the swim practice.
Enjoy the race and the weather!!!
2015-11-28 9:59 AM
in reply to: #5148439

User image

Austin
Have a great race everybody! Be safe!

Buena suerte maƱana a todos!!!
2015-11-30 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Wow,
That was a rough one.

Ironman Cozumel Race Report
Let me preface this by saying I didn't do nearly enough training for this race. Especially in the last 4 weeks, due to work/travel.
That being said, this is my 3rd Ironman Cozumel race.
Cozumel is a great place for an IM. The island has a range of accommodations, from all inclusive resorts to condo rentals. There are a ton of activities for family/spectators and in general the weather is warm an sunny.
The Swim
Cozumel changed the swim in 2014 to a point to point course to reduce the effect of current on the swim. The gulf water is crystal clear and warm. Although the new "time trial" start means waiting longer to get in the water, and no warm up, it also means no "washing machine" at the start. Clear swimming all the way. It is a great start to the race.
The Bike
The bike course is 3 loops from the center of the island to the southern end. The course takes the main highway from T1 along the main highway, which isn't particularly scenic, to the southern end of the island. Then back into the town, past a turn just south of the finish that allows for spectators to see the cyclists and back to the southern tip.
The southern end of the island is beautiful. Waves crashing against a practically undeveloped beach with almost nothing on either side of the road. However, there is a SOUL CRUSHING HEADWIND ALONG THIS ENTIRE LEG. 12 MILES OF "I NEVER WANT TO BIKE AGAIN" wind that doesn't so gust, but pushes almost directly against you for the entire 12 miles along the southern tip.
I was done on the 2nd loop. By the 3rd loop, it was a 2 hour gut check about how much did I really want to finish this race.
The Run
Who really cares, at least I was off the damn bike.
Actually the run isn't bad. A 3 loop course from the main town that heads north past the airport to some of the resorts. The run has decent spectator support, and there are a huge number of places along the course that people can sit, eat, drink and wait for their runners.
I knew the wind would be bad, but this was by far the worst of the 3 times I have done this race.
Other than being slow as hell, I actually had a good race as far as nutrition, hydration, execution, etc. I just wasn't well trained.

2015-11-30 10:33 PM

User image

Thanks for the report.  I've been there on dive trips twice during this race, and volunteered once, and always wanted to do it.  Planning on 2016, already got the hotel, and I'm taking my advise fom Bryan Dunn, the wind is the other guy's problem     Enjoy a well deserved off season!

2015-12-07 6:38 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Great explanation of the race!

I love IM Cozumel but that wind! OMG I curse every minute of those 12 miles :-)

Enjoy recovery!

Happy holidays,

Alicia
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Trivol
Views: 13830 Posts: 68

2014-11-04 5:53 PM midwesttrimom

Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by golfpro
Views: 44971 Posts: 388

2013-02-06 7:07 PM leapdog

IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by MrSolis
Views: 31926 Posts: 216

2012-10-13 8:08 AM mauisurfchick

IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20

Started by trirun26
Views: 63026 Posts: 498

2011-02-13 5:45 AM alynm

IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by trishie
Views: 48673 Posts: 314

2010-02-04 5:46 PM kathy caribe
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 11, 2014
author : Tinamarie
comments : 5
Mother Nature continued to sing loud here in Cozumel, reminding us who was boss. This morning was no different, the wind howled in our ears, stung our eyes and the ocean slapped the shore with vigor.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: