General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-01-06 5:18 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread
Who is in for this year? This will be my 2nd Cozumel IM and I am so excited to go back!

Never early enough to start a new thread :-)

Happy training!

Alicia

2015-01-06 5:47 PM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread
Same.....I haven't signed up yet, but definitely going back for round 2!
2015-01-07 10:49 AM
in reply to: mjbinky

User image

Katy, Texas
I'm trying to decide between this and Cabo for my first IM. Thoughts? When will this one fill up?
2015-01-07 3:12 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Hi,

Coz doesn't see out fast so I would think you have time to make your decision. I have never done Los Cabos but I believe it is hilly, while Coz is flat but can be very windy! Not sure if Cabos is wetsuit legal, Coz is definately not.

Either one I imagine would be great!

Decisions,,,,decisions....
2015-01-07 4:56 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
I've done both (Coz twice). I left some comments to another questioner about Cabo in an Iron Distance Training Talk thread above. They are very different races. All things considered, on paper at least Cabo is a much more difficult race (IMHO). That may change if the weather gods frown. My thoughts: Both swims are great. Cabo has been wetsuit legal in the past. Don't know if the change to fall will make a difference in the water temp or air temp though I suspect they will both be higher and it may not be wetsuit legal in the new time frame. If it is hotter it will definitely add another layer of difficulty to the 6000 feet of climbing on the bike. In Coz the weather will likely be warm, although you run the risk of nasty winds like this year, or of rain squalls like last year. Both marathons are flat, multi-lap affairs. Hope that helps?
2015-01-08 10:41 AM
in reply to: #5080486

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah
Any suggestions on where to stay? Flying into Cancun, and I'm ok spitting the stay between cancun & cozumel... or not. Very flexible. Would just like some good ideas and things to do post race.

2015-01-09 11:32 AM

Originally posted by trirun26

Who is in for this year? This will be my 2nd Cozumel IM and I am so excited to go back!

Never early enough to start a new thread :-)

Happy training!

Alicia

I might be in - I've soft circled IMCoz. If I do indeed register, it will depend on how my early season training goes....fingers crossed!
2015-01-15 4:36 PM
in reply to: CodRed

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by CodRed

Any suggestions on where to stay? Flying into Cancun, and I'm ok spitting the stay between cancun & cozumel... or not. Very flexible. Would just like some good ideas and things to do post race.

Last time I stayed at the Palace all inclusive hotel and it was fantastic, they really catered to the athletes. It is also located at the finish line which is a huge plus for me. I have booked again, it's a little more expensive than the others but for me and my husband (who doesn't race) it is well worth it.

Happy training!

Alicia
2015-01-15 6:11 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Originally posted by CodRed

Both times we stayed at Casa Mexicana - we did not need the "all inclusive" plan. Found it to be triathlete friendly, and lots of other athletes hanging out. They have an great hot breakfast buffet. Pay for an upgrade to oceanview which gives a view of the cruiseship terminal. We shared cabs to the Swim venue on race morning, and it is an easy walk to/from the finish, as well as the Mega Store (think WalMart). Some of my mates stayed at other hotels close by as well. TripAdvisor.com has informative reviews on all the hotels, so I dont think you can go wrong if you do a little homework.

Post race if you have the time I would recomend a tour to Chichen Itza - a not to be missed cultural history site.

Hope that helps.

2015-01-22 3:18 PM

User image

Just popping in to let you guys know that Coz (the entire state) is moving to eastern std time next month, so if you've been there and were expecting central time, your flight times etc may seem different.

2015-03-16 8:50 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

For all of you who've raced IM Cozumel before, can you shed some light on how logistics work with that race? I was looking at flights the other day and direct flights into Cozumel from Atlanta, for example, are really expensive. Flights into Cancun are much more reasonable. If I fly into Cancun, how do you get to Cozumel? The 2 hr drive and ferry seems like a big waste of time, but it probably saves $$. Are there 'puddle jumpers' from Cancun to Cozumel? Also, in terms of hotels, any recommendations? Would I need a rental car when I'm there? And lastly, is the water safe to drink on Cozumel? Is the water and electrolyte drinks on course safe to drink? Do I need to be concerned about the water and thus Montezuma's revenue, or not?

Sorry for all the questions, but that race seems a more complicated than others....hence the questions.

Thanks all.

(and yes, it does sound like I'm gearing up to race IM Cozumel, eh? The odds are getting better...now I really need to kick my training into high gear!)

2015-03-23 6:19 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
How's everyone doing?

What training plans are u guys doing? I am debating to use Fink's competitive plan or go with my prior coach....hmmmmm

Haven't looked at flights yet, I love this race but the logistics to get there are as complicated as flying accross the world....it seems like I will be doing "planes, taxi and ferry"....

Hope everyone is well, let's keep this thread up :-)

Alicia
2015-03-24 9:47 AM

I am doing this!! It will be my first IM and I am nervous but excited!

I am going to fly direct to Cozumel as it just seems easier and one less thing to worry about.

2015-03-26 11:04 AM
in reply to: runningfi

User image

Katy, Texas
I am pretty sure I'm going to do this, but still haven't signed up. Guess I need to just commit.
2015-03-26 2:45 PM

Originally posted by Jet Black

I am pretty sure I'm going to do this, but still haven't signed up. Guess I need to just commit.

You and me both. I'm in the same boat. Gotta kick my training into high gear, but I'm seriously thinking about IM Coz too.

What's your trigger to register? Not sure what mine is, but I'm working on it. I sort want to see where my training is by mid June/early July, and it'll probably be quite obvious by that point if I should sign-up or not. I probably need to give myself a decision deadline to work towards, but in all likelihood, I'll be there on the beach with you.

2015-03-26 3:21 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

Originally posted by Jet Black

You and me both. I'm in the same boat. Gotta kick my training into high gear, but I'm seriously thinking about IM Coz too.

What's your trigger to register? Not sure what mine is, but I'm working on it. I sort want to see where my training is by mid June/early July, and it'll probably be quite obvious by that point if I should sign-up or not. I probably need to give myself a decision deadline to work towards, but in all likelihood, I'll be there on the beach with you.

Good question! I don't know, lol. I've got my first HIM in about a month that has all of my attention right now, but I started triathlon training to do a full Ironman not a half. I'll sign up no later than right after the HIM as I'll need to work out the next phase of my training. But I think the biggest thing that's keeping me from signing up is forking over the cash and figuring out all the logistics, ugh. But of course the earlier we do that the easier it will be.

2015-04-22 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
What can you all tell me about the swim? I'm reading on the IM site that it's been changed to a wave start. Does anyone know the format of the waves? Is it by age group like some races, or by self seeding based on swim time?

And, I've stayed away from this race because I've read about those little jellyfish in the past. Is that true? How bad/annoying are they? They really creep me out and especially without a wetsuit for protection I'm pausing my entry.
2015-04-22 12:26 PM
in reply to: Climbinggonzo

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
OK, found the info on the swim start, looks like my age group is second to last so I'll have quite a few folks to swim around! Bummer.

Still curious about the pesky little jelly fish though.
2015-04-22 9:06 PM
in reply to: #5081162

User image

I did Coz last year and the swim was amazing. I was in a later wave (Men 35-39) and did not have any issues with jellyfish. I know some people did get stung, but it was more of an annoyance than anything. The swim is a point-to-point, about 20' deep, and you can see all the way the bottom. It is quite beautiful.
2015-04-22 11:12 PM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Deciding hmmmm wait.
2015-04-29 2:50 PM
in reply to: Climbinggonzo

User image

Good afternoon

I did IMCZ last year (my first) and the swim was fantastic-and trust me, I am not a strong swimmer at all.  It is a wave start, with Pro Men, Pro Women, and goes from there.  My group (males 40-44) was one of the last groups to start.  There was no issues of jelly fish at all.  Water was crystal clear, with some temperature changes from time to time.  I did not see the advantage with the current, but again, I am not a strong swimmer at all.  The race was great, but I got crushed on the cycling due to the wind at the coast (12.5 mile x 3) stretch.  Still finished so I am thrilled!  AR

2015-05-14 4:43 PM
in reply to: allanrasquinha

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Just 199 days til race day!

How is everyone doing?

:-)

Alicia
2015-05-23 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
A few questions on IMCOZ...

1) When does it usually sell out? I'm 75% committed for my 5th IM, but not quite ready to pull the trigger

2) Are the host hotel(s) worth it? I'm not concerned with any "discount" they give - I just want something very nice and convenient - my family will be with me (wife, 8 year old, and 3 year old) and want them to be comfortable

3) Seems like this is a no-brainer, but flying into Cozumel is the way to go versus the cheaper flights to cancun?
2015-05-30 7:14 AM
in reply to: sdanaher

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Hi,

This will be my 2nd time in Cozumel and I love this place! I am not sure how close to the race does it sell out.

I stayed at the Palace hotel with my family and it was fantastic, they really catored to the athletes but again I think all the hotels do. It is at the finish line which is important for me. Also, close to everything.

Last time I flew into Cozumel but it was an extremely long flight as I am flying from south Florida and the only way to go was Miami-Dallas-Cozumel. This time I am going Miami-Cancun and taking the ferry to Cozumel.

I really think this venue is great for the family :-)

Happy and safe training,

Alicia
2015-05-30 5:21 PM
in reply to: #5110167

User image

I did Cozumel last year too. Fly into Cozumel. So much easier. Stay at the Palace. Alicia is right, it is literally right at the finish line. No need to cab anywhere. It is worth every penny. Also, you can walk to all the shops. I will be going back in a few years and would not think twice about where to stay or fly into.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Trivol
Views: 13829 Posts: 68

2014-11-04 5:53 PM midwesttrimom

Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by golfpro
Views: 44971 Posts: 388

2013-02-06 7:07 PM leapdog

IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by MrSolis
Views: 31926 Posts: 216

2012-10-13 8:08 AM mauisurfchick

IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20

Started by trirun26
Views: 63025 Posts: 498

2011-02-13 5:45 AM alynm

IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by trishie
Views: 48671 Posts: 314

2010-02-04 5:46 PM kathy caribe
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 11, 2014
author : Tinamarie
comments : 5
Mother Nature continued to sing loud here in Cozumel, reminding us who was boss. This morning was no different, the wind howled in our ears, stung our eyes and the ocean slapped the shore with vigor.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: