General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would you pay for a cycle class at a Tri shop? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-01-09 9:14 AM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: What would you pay for a cycle class at a Tri shop?

Originally posted by runspingirl  For those of you that do indeed do this, how do you pay (paypal, pay the shop, pay the instructor?) AND, did they have you sign some sort of liability wavier? Did you have to call to reserve your spot before hand, or just show up? Just some details I'm working on. THANKS!!

Reservations online are ideal - especially with the option to pay in advance. Have the waiver online, too. That can be a pain to set up, though.

Some places will let you reserve by replying on Facebook, or by texting a coach, too.  Be ready to accept cash at the door, and look into getting Square (https://squareup.com/reader) it's a free device, but they take 2.75% of all transactions - my Tri club actually lets you pay for your membership this way, but charges YOU the fee in addition to the base rate. For the convenience, it's worth it for some people! Have paper waivers on hand. 

2015-01-09 1:04 PM
in reply to: TurtleMan77

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by TurtleMan77 Getting people through the door is crucial. People will automatically assume the class sucks if attendance is poor. Maybe consider a promo to encourage people sign up. It may not make as much money the first time around as you hope. Is there anything else you can sweeten the pot? Selling it as a preseason training program (for days they train at home). One with a defined schedule and goals (as opposed to every class being the same with different music). Something that appeals to beginners and more experienced people. You could provide an outline for the workouts for the course to show you have experience/knowledge that they would be willing to pay to access. It may also encourage some people to sign up for more classes so they don't miss anything. Finally, I agree with others that a punch card system encouraging people to pay upfront would be best for you (ie buy 6 sessions get one free).

Great points. In the class I took, the coaches were busy taking photos and videos of the large attendance and I noted that they used those images to advertise the next season's "pay-only" classes.

2015-01-10 4:55 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't pay for a class like this. My bike on my trainer means my basement.

2015-01-11 5:38 AM

I was doing this through the fall and up till January 1. The shop where I was going charged 17/session if you prepaid for the 12 weeks or 20/session if you were dropping in. If you wanted to use the shops trainers in was 2.00 a session on top of that. Nobody brought there own trainers as for 2.00 a session it was worth the 2.00.

What you got was a structured workout that each week would target different areas for improvement. The best thing and only thing I miss about not doing it right now is the group setting. The group of 5 that I was with were a fun group to train with and we worked hard to push each other but also laughed a ton.

In the end for me Trainer Road and have a little flexibility on times for my workouts won out
2015-01-11 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Just a couple of ideas...
Tho' I know you asked for feedback on pricing...

For me, without a car at present, lugging a trainer adds to the challenge of getting there. Is there any possibility of the tri shop supplying trainers? I wonder if one signed up for classes and got a great discount on a trainer, which could be left at the shop until the classes were over... might be a good deal.
Or, one used the shop trainers, then these could be sold off at season end at a discount?

How about a sign-up-with-a-buddy discount? People who have a buddy to go to class with may be more likely to not jam out of a session...
2015-01-12 1:58 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

I must be spoiled in our area.  There is a local bike shop that provides these classes free.  Open 1-2 times per week, bring your bike and trainer and the shop owner provides the video.  He is buying all the sufferfest videos.  Majority of the time the shop owner joins us on the ride/workout, he has even provided a beer after the workout for those that may want one.

This is also the same shop that is open 7 days a week and has a ride scheduled every day for all levels for free.  He is definitely a rider focused shop!!! 

2015-01-12 3:12 PM

User image

Originally posted by runspingirl I've talked to the owner of the shop quite extensively and she assures me that there are people that have been asking for classes like these.  

Question for the OP.

Is there any way that you can run these classes at a discount (say $3-5 per session, or more likely...free) and have the LBS subsidize you with pay, discounts, or services?  I'm with the others that I would have a hard time paying to bring my own bike and trainer to a class when I could just ride the trainer myself at home any time I wanted to.

To me, the LBS is benefiting the most out of the deal in that they get people to come into their shop at relatively no cost to them.  If the LBS owner offered you (the OP) their employee discount on everything, free bike services, and $20 for every session you teach...do you think that would be fair compensation to run a class that is free of charge to the customers?  

If I was the LBS owner, I would also offer 10% off to any of the class members on parts and services on that day.  IOW, I think you're asking the wrong people how much they would pay.

2015-01-13 5:36 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Scottsdale, AZ
Thank you SO much for all the replies! it has helped me so much with figuring things out! I agree with so many of the suggestions, opinions etc. So great to get an overview of what people think!

There will be some trainers available to use if people need. I have iRide set up on mine so I would be lugging it back and forth, but not sure what other people would want.
I wanted to get some baseline ideas/concepts figured out before I spoke with the owner again.

In regards to the classes, I teach a very specific interval class, where we focus on threshold/VO2 efforts and things that are hard to simulate out on the road, and each class would be different, with different music and a different focus. I don't want to structure it into too much of a periodized program, since most people would be dropping in on and off. But if would be a great option if someone wasn't able to get their ride in that day or just wanted to drop in for a hard 60 min workout.
If I find out that there are people that really want something more structured, I can make it that way. But I would be guiding them through the whole workout, cool down and even core work/flexibility at the end.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the first couple classes being freebies, trying to get people in the door and to know me. Hopefully the shop can some sort of specials that day and have some treats on hand to sweeten the deal :-)!
Then each class would cost $5 and I would develop a punch card system where if people purchase more, they get more.

I think $5 is reasonable and something I would pay if I wanted to go. I'm not out to make money with this, but would really like to at least cover some of my costs/time!
I like the idea of getting perks at the shop for my work...I will be starting Ironman training in April and will definitely need it@!
I'm going to set up a meeting with the owner hopefully next week so we can talk next steps.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! Would love to hear more of course and I'll keep you updated!
2015-01-13 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
I have a CompuTrainer, TrainerRoad, Zwift Beta, and all of the SufferFest videos at home.

My bike racing team get's free use of our title sponsor's CompuTrainer training room. Believe it holds 18 CompuTrainers and we do our own group workouts. They have two locations too.

An other shop that is closer to me has a Wahoo Kickr lab set up. The charge $15 with the first class free and some discount for buying 10 or more. Just for the social aspect I'll do a session a week at this lab. They have three classes a day (pre work, mid morning, and post work), then their focus varies depending on the day. I go there for VO2Max and Threshold workouts and they run a SufferFest video with PrefPro controlling the Kickrs based on your FTP. They'll link to your Strava account and post your workout for you. They have clean towels and you can store your bikes here too.

Personally:
No way you are getting me to a studio where I have to bring my own trainer. I have too many other options. If you talked me into this I'd bring rollers and my track bike then completely ignore your workout.
Be gentle on any up sell. I personally go to the Kickr Lab due to the social aspect and feel accountable for my workout (hate slacking in front of others). I'll ask/inquire about coaching and other services, don't want a sales job.
The guy that runs the Lab has an extensive racing background and good training background. So he provides additional value.
They have a shop attached to the Lab (or maybe the other way around ) and this is handy. I've bought things and paid for service there due to the convenience factor.
Building a community for the athletes is critical. You want everyone to feel welcomed and I'd suggest even doing things like semi-organized outdoor rides (weather and season pending), some seminars/how to's, attend events the athletes participate in... I was part of an other multi-sport shop and loosely grouped athletes and it ended being more about the shop owner and the athletes (shop is closed now).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would you pay for a cycle class at a Tri shop? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Buying tri stuff with no local tri shop.

Started by Tiffanator
Views: 953 Posts: 5

2011-06-20 7:13 PM Rickz

cycling shops in central NJ

Started by temoniprince
Views: 959 Posts: 10

2011-05-23 7:50 PM temoniprince

Let's see your cycling room/training room/bike shop

Started by newbie13
Views: 1334 Posts: 9

2007-09-07 7:30 PM kaitlinrose

Visiting So.Cal - Cycling Shop

Started by amyh
Views: 623 Posts: 3

2006-12-21 4:16 PM pchcruiser

Hey Minneapolis--Need to know a good Tri-Bike Shop-Lifetime Fitness Tri

Started by ladavidson
Views: 810 Posts: 3

2005-04-12 9:41 AM kelpeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 19, 2004
author : Machiavelo
comments : 0
Do you have a bicycle and do not know where to begin to find one if you do not? How should go about choosing a bicycle that will be best suited for your needs?