General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can a Tri bike work for me? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-07 7:52 PM

Subject: Can a Tri bike work for me?
I am a 50 year old male training for my fifth triathlon season. I have done mostly short course races to date but I did finish my first 70.3 this past summer. When I bought my bike I thought triathlon would be an occasional diversion. I am riding a Felt Z frame with clip on aero bars and a Cobb saddle. I am now very committed to the sport and my goals are getting loftier so naturally I am considering the benefits of a Tri bike.

I have a chronic physical issue that makes it imperative that I keep my weight on my sit bones. My current set up and fit allow me to do that. I stay in aero almost all the time, no matter how long the ride, and am very comfortable. My questions for the group:

1. Is it realistic to think I can get into a reasonably aggressive position on a tri bike (ie, enough to give me an advantage over my road bike/clip on) while still keeping my weight on my sit bones?

2. How much improvement can I expect to gain, given my constraint?

2015-01-08 5:55 AM
in reply to: Prince87

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Can a Tri bike work for me?
There's a good chance that a tri bike can work, but the fit will be absolutely crucial with the constraints you have. Make sure you fit a really good bike fitter and discuss the constraint well before you even start considering what bike to get.
2015-01-12 9:38 PM
in reply to: Prince87

User image

Pro

it sounds like you're looking for more of a 'round back' fit, rather than a 'flat back' fit- if that makes any sense.  

but yeah, you should be able to find a workable aero fit.  My guess is that you may need to do some saddle shopping.  Perhaps a Cobb or Adamo?

as for performance, all other things being equal, a good aero position may buy you 1 to 1.5mph.  YMMV of course.

2015-01-18 2:38 PM
in reply to: #5080976

Thanks for the advice
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can a Tri bike work for me? Rss Feed