BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Anthony Tatasciore Tri with Tat -CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-01-08 10:44 AM

Subject: Anthony Tatasciore Tri with Tat -CLOSED

GROUP FOCUS: 70.3 and 140.6 (sprints, long course, weightloss, etc)

NAME AZCHIEF / Anthony STORY: I am in the US Navy and have been competing in triathlons for 3 years now including all distances. The reason I started was to push myself to my limits and quickly found that even though it is an individual sport you can not do it alone.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married but I am currently stationed overseas while my family is still in the States. Two of my three kids have completed in triathlons, but according to them they are retired from the sport.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am just getting ready to begin training for the up coming season.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: It has been about six months since my last official triathlon but I am preparing for IM Sweden in Aug. Leading up to this I have a few Olympic and 70.3 I am looking at but none scheduled.

WEIGHTLOSS: Before I started marathon races and tris I was 255lbs, I am currently 180 lbs. This sport is perfect for those looking to drop the lbs.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have experience in training for every distance by myself and with a team so my warehouse of knowledge within the sport is very large. Positive motivation is key during the beginning months and leading in to your first race. I will make you familiar to the troubles you WILL face and give you what I did to overcome these. No race is perfect. And it will be my duty to ensure you are best prepared for the challenges that will be ahead.

2015-01-09 2:08 AM
in reply to: AZChief

Subject: RE: Anthony Tatasciore Tri with Tat -open
Here is a link to a story about my first full IRONMAN... http://904fitness.com/i-am-ironman/
2015-01-19 2:26 AM

Subject: RE: Anthony Tatasciore Tri with Tat -Open
Who is ready to start the journey? Destination - finish line. Announcer - Mike Reilly. Announcement - "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!"
2015-01-19 11:49 AM

Hey Anthony,

I've signed up for the NYC tri and am looking for a mentor. Are you still available for help? I am completely new to this type of sport.

2015-01-19 12:11 PM
in reply to: John82

John, I am more than available to still mentor and by the time you are crossing that finish line you will be wanting to pay it forward and mentor someone else.

You say that you are new to this sport, but have you done any of the events individually? Can you give me a little background on yourself?
2015-01-27 5:15 PM

I'd like to join the group if that is possible.

28 year old Marine Mustang awaiting active duty orders. Did OCS, waiting for TBS. I've always wanted to swim better and I have enrolled in swim classes and got a membership at a gym with a large 50 meter pool. I have overcome some adversity and adversion to water because of boot camp, but I have to work on my long distance swimming. My goal for 2016 is to complete a triathlon since I will likely be preoccupied in 2015. I can train, just not plan to be anywhere for a triathlon since I could be leaving soon this year. I like to run and I have finally run my first sub 20 minute 3 mile. I want to go to the Big Sur International Marathon in April to run a 10 miler.

Chreston

2015-01-27 11:31 PM
in reply to: deadbolt13

Chreston, First off congrats with OCS...

The swimming was the toughest part for me to get use to with doing triathlons mostly due to the fact that there are no swim lanes. Not to scare you (you are a Marine) but I have come out of the water with a pretty good black eye from people swimming right over you. This only happened once and I learned to stay to the outside, some races are starting to begin the races by experience levels which would prevent some of the swim overs.

With regards to just the running aspect and you being a Marine, you have to complete the Marine Corps Marathon in DC at least once. It is by far the best race I have ever done.

I just have a couple questions? What distance race are you looking to do in 2016? Do you have a bike already? and what do you expect from me as a mentor?

Nice to have you on the team, and keep me updated on your swim classes.

Tony
2015-01-29 1:48 PM
in reply to: 0

, England
Hi Anthony,

I was looking for a 70.3 training plan and came accross this website inclusive of a training log, diet log and I have just found your mentor program. I have my first 70.3 at the end of May. I am fairly new to Triathlons however I ran a marathon last year, Olympic Tri and numerous other non tri related fitness events. At the moment I am lacking direction to know where to start and intend to use the training plan from this website from Monday. Due to various reasons, in the past I overtrain and now looking to follow a structured programme and wondered if you would help me achieve my goal.

Many thanks Carol

Edited by Aitchison 2015-01-29 1:56 PM
2015-01-29 2:35 PM
in reply to: Aitchison

Welcome Carol,

I am guessing that you are doing 70.3 Raleigh, I have not raced this site or have known anyone that has raced it... But that doesn't mean that I can't work with you.

In the past I have always tried to train to course, not to just any plan. For example, if the BT plan has to do a 30 mile bike ride I would try to incorporate as much hill work as possible if the course is hilly. And same with the run.

After reviewing this course the bike looks like its got some good climbs, are you located where you could practice hills safety?

The run looks like it will be so sweat, a long steady climb to the turnaround and then it is mostly downhill.

And the swim is in a lake so there "shouldn't" be any waves, but I have been to lake swims where it was choppier than the ocean.

As for the training plan, how much time are you able to put towards you weekly training? i.e. 2 hours swimming, 5 hours running, 7 hours biking... The reason I ask this is because not everyone has availability to a pool, or other things occupying their time. Also, what are your intentions for fininshing? (finish within the time, 5 hours, qualifying for the championships?)

can't wait to hear back from you and help you along...
2015-01-29 3:11 PM

, England
Hi Anthony,

It's the 70.3 Outlaw, UK, Nottingham half IM that I have entered and then have the World Police Fire Games in Fairfax America Olympic triathlon a month after. My goal is to complete the half IM but then to do well in the Olympic with a placing. My weakest discipline is cycling. I mostly train in a gym using pool, treadmill and spin bike at the moment but not done too much since my marathon the end of Sept. At the moment I am mainly doing conditioning. My training time is a bit hit and miss with shiftwork and overtime but looking at approx 7 - 9 hrs training time available a week.
My area is mostly urban and flat.

Hope this helps, thanks Carol
2015-01-30 1:30 PM
in reply to: #5081163

Hi Anthony,
I've officially signed up for my first tri, it's a half ironman in June. I've been a runner for a few years and finished several marathons. When I signed up for the 70.3 Syracuse I couldn't finish more than 25m in a pool, I've been slowly making progress..... Completely new to the tri but would like to finish a full ironman at some point in my life. This mentor program looks like it could be a great resource for a newbie like myself, hopefully you take me!

Danielle

2015-02-02 1:33 PM

Going from the 70.3 to the Olympic should be very easy. The biggest difference is with wanting to place in the Olympic you will have to be like a rocket in the transition areas. I have seen many people forget their number or have problems finding their bike. So once you complete the 70.3 I would focus on maintaining your workouts and make sure that each workout has at least one transition practice in it.

I have also lived in Fairfax and you will have to work on those legs hard. And looking at the Nottingham map you will need strong legs there also t get up what looks like a wall. Squats, box jumps and TRX leg workouts work great.

Edited by AZChief 2015-02-02 1:38 PM
2015-02-05 2:17 PM

User image

I just saw that there is a group specifically for beginners so I joined that one. Good luck everybody!

Edited by Team-S 2015-02-06 3:57 PM
2015-02-13 11:29 PM

Sorry for the delay in a response! So what is everyones biggest fears of doing a tri? Who has already set up a training plan with BT or some other website?
2015-02-27 4:21 PM

Can I join your group? I have not done a Tri yet. I have been training since January. I can do 1/4 mile swim but not without resting (~18 mins) . I can run 5K and 10K on the bike. I need to learn mostly about swimming ( I think I need help specifically with breathing correctly while swimming). I am looking for a training schedule as well.

Married 1 kid.

I want to do a mini- Tri before I get too old !

Edited by jefflupi 2015-02-27 4:35 PM
2015-02-28 8:55 PM
in reply to: #5081163

Is there still space? I'm new to tris.

2015-02-28 11:49 PM
in reply to: jefflupi

Originally posted by jefflupi

Can I join your group? I have not done a Tri yet. I have been training since January. I can do 1/4 mile swim but not without resting (~18 mins) . I can run 5K and 10K on the bike. I need to learn mostly about swimming ( I think I need help specifically with breathing correctly while swimming). I am looking for a training schedule as well.

Married 1 kid.

I want to do a mini- Tri before I get too old !

First off your never to old. Do a quick search for Sister Madonna Buder, then think about age. Breathing during the swim is the toughest, specially considering that the pool and race conditions are totally different. If you can find a Master's Swim class around you they helped me out greatly. And don't be fouled by the Master's title it is for all experience levels. Training schedules, the ones that are here on beginner triathlete are extremely good and excellent price (free for most).... Welcome to the group and ask any questions you may have.

Tat
2015-02-28 11:50 PM
in reply to: tridder

Originally posted by tridder

Is there still space? I'm new to tris.

How can I help you?
2015-03-01 12:04 PM

User image

Hello Anthony Tatasciore.
I'm interested in joining your Mentor Program.
I'm 43 years old. A mom and a wife. I love sports. Last year I ran my 1st marathon in Chicago. I also did my first Sprint Triathlon in June 2014 (Total time: 1'43"). I exercise on a daily basis (Swim, bike or run).
My goal is to do a Sprint Triathlon in May 17 and then another Sprint Triathlon in June (That one is my main goal because it is the same triathlon I did last year and want to get better results).
I feel that last year I didn't train right, and I feel I need practice with the T2. I think I should've saved some energy for the last part. My legs were dead when I tried to run and I could feel I was about to cramp so I had to go really slow.
I want to feel more confident and prepared for my next 2 Sprint Triathlons.
Greetings from Cancun, Mexico.
2015-03-01 12:28 PM
in reply to: Ro~

Originally posted by Ro~

I feel that last year I didn't train right, and I feel I need practice with the T2. I think I should've saved some energy for the last part. My legs were dead when I tried to run and I could feel I was about to cramp so I had to go really slow.
I want to feel more confident and prepared for my next 2 Sprint Triathlons.
Greetings from Cancun, Mexico.

How many brick workouts did you do leading up to your race? Do you have Clip in shoes?

And welcome to the group... I have been to Cancun years ago, it was an awesome trip! Some day I plan on doing the IM there, hope you could join me...
2015-03-02 4:56 PM

User image

Hi,
I am just getting into the sport. I used to be a great athlete. one of the best in the world for my age at the time in volleyball, but for the past 7 years I have done nothing! I used to run when i was really young and i was the Toronto city champ for 800m 1500m and 2k. I also used to swim and i was the Toronto city champ for many different strokes and distances. but that was when i was a young teen. i'm 29 now and I have been sitting on the couch for to long. I started training about 2 weeks ago for my first sprint on April 5 and I just bought a TT bike that I have yet to ride. I work 11 hours a day for 9 days in a row and then i get 5 off. I work far away from home but there is a gym there. I only can do about two hours in the gym after work then i need sleep!

I don't really know what kinda training i need to do so I have been going on the bike the treadmill and the rowing machine. there is an "arm bike" that i use to train for swimming (its the best thing I have at work)

I want to go to to world championships next year for sprint. that means I have to qualify this year. I am willing to train up to 3 hours in the gym on the days that i am working and up to 12 hours a day when i'm off. I used to be one of that best pure athletes on this planet. right now i am a shadow of what i used to be. i'm sick of telling stories from years and years ago. I want some new ones :-)

any help would be great :-)

Cheers
Darcy Hinds

2015-03-03 6:49 AM

User image

Subject: ---

Edited by Ro~ 2015-03-03 10:03 AM
2015-03-03 10:16 AM

User image

In response to your question regarding Brick workouts. No, I failed to do them. Last year I trained focusing on swimming because I felt it was my weakest discipline. It still is but I've made a lot of progress.  My strongest discipline is running and last year I wrongly assumed if I mastered my weakest sport (Swimming) then finishing the Tri would be easy as running was the last part. I know now, I could've reached the finish line in better shape if I had had known better. I have a new bicycle now. (Giant). Im not so focused on swimming. I have a new 12 week training plan which has brick workouts once a week. (I will let you know how it goes). And no...I dont have clipon shoes...yet. My bike has straps on the pedals. Tbh with you, it makes me nervous to make the transition to clipon shoes. I had an accident while doing a speed workout at the end of November and broke my right hand. That was another huge lesson from last year: Bicycles NEED REGULAR MAINTENANCE.

So, here's where I'm at now. Been doing 2 ciclying workouts a week. (Starting bricks this week). Been running from 5 to 10kms 3 times a week (3 to 6 miles). Been swimming (Speed workout once a week and long swim once a week with 1 open water swimming once a week -- on Sundays). I am part of a Master Swimming group at my local sports center. I took part in an Open Water Swimming competition last Saturday (1250mts/0.7miles) in 33 mins. 

2015-03-05 11:34 PM
in reply to: madprops

Originally posted by madprops

I don't really know what kinda training i need to do so I have been going on the bike the treadmill and the rowing machine. there is an "arm bike" that i use to train for swimming (its the best thing I have at work)

I want to go to to world championships next year for sprint. that means I have to qualify this year. I am willing to train up to 3 hours in the gym on the days that i am working and up to 12 hours a day when i'm off. I used to be one of that best pure athletes on this planet. right now i am a shadow of what i used to be. i'm sick of telling stories from years and years ago. I want some new ones :-)

any help would be great :-)

Cheers
Darcy Hinds

It sounds like you have the right mental preparation going in to this, that is a huge plus. I have never been to the level of qualifying for a WC, but I will help you every bit I can from the experience that I have gained from people I know that have gone.

You will need 3xbike 3xRun and 3xswim workouts per week to get to the heavy comp levels. With your schedule I would recommend during your work week trade off between 1 hour bike and 1 hour run this is called bricks (This is more than enough for a sprint comp) and the swim I love the arm bike... seeing you have experience in freestyle it is more of just getting the arms to remember what to do. Now open water swimming is different than pool swimming, if you can or already do practice bilateral breathing about every third to fifth stroke depending on your aerobic capacity.

I hope this give you a good start to attack this goal... please ask more questions as you come up to hurdles.

Good luck CHAMP!
2015-03-05 11:43 PM
in reply to: Ro~

Originally posted by Ro~

In response to your question regarding Brick workouts. No, I failed to do them. Last year I trained focusing on swimming because I felt it was my weakest discipline. It still is but I've made a lot of progress.  My strongest discipline is running and last year I wrongly assumed if I mastered my weakest sport (Swimming) then finishing the Tri would be easy as running was the last part. I know now, I could've reached the finish line in better shape if I had had known better. I have a new bicycle now. (Giant). Im not so focused on swimming. I have a new 12 week training plan which has brick workouts once a week. (I will let you know how it goes). And no...I dont have clipon shoes...yet. My bike has straps on the pedals. Tbh with you, it makes me nervous to make the transition to clipon shoes. I had an accident while doing a speed workout at the end of November and broke my right hand. That was another huge lesson from last year: Bicycles NEED REGULAR MAINTENANCE.

So, here's where I'm at now. Been doing 2 ciclying workouts a week. (Starting bricks this week). Been running from 5 to 10kms 3 times a week (3 to 6 miles). Been swimming (Speed workout once a week and long swim once a week with 1 open water swimming once a week -- on Sundays). I am part of a Master Swimming group at my local sports center. I took part in an Open Water Swimming competition last Saturday (1250mts/0.7miles) in 33 mins. 

You will see crazy improvements once you start the bricks, and the day prior should be easy to med swim. As for the clipon's the most problems I have seen with clipons are when people are at or near a stop. I will admit I was showing off in front of my wife sporting my new clip in's and at a complete stop feel right on my side, after she took pictures and posted to FB she helped me up. It is safe to say that I have not had a problem since then. People I have helped I have them ride around a parking lot of somewhere empty with curbs and had them clip in and out repeatedly just to get the muscle memory. The big reason I encourage the clipins is that you can get so much more power out of your legs with not just pushing the pedals but a 360 degree power transfer.

Please ask questions as you get them... I wish you the best, you are going to crush your race...PR BABY...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Anthony Tatasciore Tri with Tat -CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 33257 Posts: 1079

2015-12-30 11:15 PM 2NewKnees

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1047 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : November 9, 2010
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
Doug was one of the few swimming coaches who really appreciated how important swimming technique is and would spend as much or more time with his athletes making sure they got it right.
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?