General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OFFICIAL Tour of Sufferlandria 2015 Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-01-08 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Subject: OFFICIAL Tour of Sufferlandria 2015 Thread
I see each of the last two years there was athread for BTers riding in the Tour of Sufferlandria (ToS). This year's tour is rapidly approaching so I thougfht no time like the present to get the thread going. Official race numbers started being distributed yesterday. Entries fees are being taken and donations are being raised for the Davis Phinney Foundation to help people fighting parkinson's disease. Let's get a large # of BTers rockin' this year's tour!

From the race website
http://www.thesufferfest.com/tour-sufferlandria-2015/

"You have probably heard: there is turmoil on the UCI’s international race calender. Talk of Grand Tours getting shorter. Rumours of races disappearing. Concern that the racing is too hard. Here in Sufferlandria, we are having none of it! We are proud to present the 3rd Annual Tour of Sufferlandria - The Greatest Grand Tour of a Mythical Nation in the Whole Wide World. Honorary Starter of the race is BMC Racing’s Taylor Phinney!

Running from the 24th of January to the 1st of February 2015, The Tour of Sufferlandria will take riders through the most painful, miserable and agonising regions of Sufferlandria. More than 4,000 people joined the 2014 ToS and the Sufferlandrian Tourism Authority expects even more in 2015. “We make route for those seek GLORY,” says National Race Director Grunter von Agony. “You want easy, you do Tour Down Under. You want donuts, you do Couchlandria Tour. You want ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK you ride hard in Sufferlandria.”

As in past years, the ToS features an incredible prize list for those who donate to our partner charity, the Davis Phinney Foundation, through their dedicated ToS donation page. Last year, the ToS riders raised $65,000 for the Davis Phinney Foundation."

Stage Breakdown:

Stage 1, Sat, 24 Jan: Elements of Style* + The Long Scream
Duration: 1hr 10mins
Grunter von Agony wants a classy peloton this year, so Elements of Style sets riders up with the form, efficiency and style critical to 9 days in the saddle. And then The Long Scream rips it to pieces with a 30 minute time trial through the Sufferlandrian flatlands.

Stage 2, Sun, 25 Jan: Blender
Duration: 1hr 40mins
The first long stage of the Tour will require Sufferlandrians to face off not just on the road, but also in the dirt and snow. Endurance, skill and speed will all be tested. The (in)famous Pain Shakes shall be served. Cold.

Stage 3: Mon, 26 Jan: Fight Club
Duration: 1hr
The relatively predictible and steady Suffering of the first two stages gives way to a stage designed for scrappy, aggressive racing. Expect Cadel Evans, in one of the final races of his career, to give it a go for victory today.

Stage 4: Tue, 27 Jan: Nine Hammers*
But you still have to do the stage.

Stage 5: Wed, 28 Jan: Angels**
Out of the Valley of Nine Hammers, the ToS route heads upwards for our first mountain stage. Three staggeringly difficult climbs fill out the 2nd half of the stage, with a brutally steep finish. Riders who make it this far…well, still have a long way to go, really.

Stage 6: Thu, 29 Jan: Local Hero
Duration: 1hr 25mins
A mixed bag of a stage, riders will be faced with criterium racing, time trials, flats and short climbs. And a brief stay in a Thai prison. Heavy legs are no reason not to pursue as much GLORY as possible. You might not win the ToS today, but you could lose it if you’re not up for the terribly unnecessary sprints that finish today’s stage.

Stage 7: Fri, 30 Jan: The Rookie
It has been your performance in past Tours of Sufferlandria that captured the attention of the world’s best professional cycling teams. Today is the day you show them you deserve all the attention over the course of three very difficult sections.

Stage 8: Sat, 31 Jan: Revolver + Violator + Half is Easy (Dame Alissa Memorial Stage)
Duration: 2hrs 25mins
Our youngest Knight of Sufferlandria, Dame Alissa Schubert, was killed earlier this year when she was hit by a truck while out cycling. Revolver was her favourite video. We dedicate this stage, the hardest stage ever to feature in the ToS, in her memory. We also dedicate it to her parents who also became Knights of Sufferlandria with Alissa. A true Sufferlandrian’s stage. Crush it.

Stage 9: Sun, 1 Feb: ISLAGIATT*
Duration: 2hrs
It will be a weary, weary peloton that faces the final mountainous stage of the Tour of Sufferlandria. Only the hardiest of souls – and that means you – will be capable of making the moves necessary through the fabled lava snow of Mt. Sufferlandria. VICTORY – and another full year of bragging – await those who make it this far.

* Unfortunately, this video is not available in our streaming App. You will have to purchase it from the website if you wish to do the stage.
** You can use either the original Angels or Angels 2015 for this stage
NOTE: Stages with multiple videos must have videos done back to back. You wouldn’t take a break halfway through a Tour de France stage, would you? So don’t even think of taking one here in Sufferlandria.

Edited by trisuppo 2015-01-08 12:16 PM

(Sufferlandria Crest.JPG)

(ToS Banner.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Sufferlandria Crest.JPG (26KB - 7 downloads)
ToS Banner.JPG (113KB - 5 downloads)

2015-01-08 12:27 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

Master
Memphis, TN
Subject: RE: OFFICIAL Tour of Sufferlandria 2015 Thread
Stage 8 is going to hurt
2015-01-08 12:36 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I know a couple of people going for Knighthood this year... wow...
2015-01-08 12:37 PM

User image

Donation made, number printed, videos downloaded! This will be my first and I'm looking forward to it.
2015-01-08 3:44 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana

This is interesting! I love Sufferfest.

2015-01-08 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I'm in!  I did it last year.  Fun challenge during an otherwise boring time of the year for training.

2015-01-08 5:23 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Long Island, NY
I'm in. My second time. I can not wait for stage 8
2015-01-08 5:24 PM
in reply to: #5081214

User image

Are the downloads free with a donation? I already have Islagiat, blender, and local hero. If so, I'm in. I considered sufferfest, but might wait until next year.
2015-01-08 5:47 PM
in reply to: djmikula

User image

Master
Originally posted by djmikula

Are the downloads free with a donation? I already have Islagiat, blender, and local hero. If so, I'm in. I considered sufferfest, but might wait until next year.

Don't believe so. Not sure that they should be.

If you subscribe to trainerroad all of the ride profiles are on there and you can do the rides without the video. Video certainly makes it more fun but not an absolute requirement. Suffering is the only requirement.
2015-01-08 9:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
In for my second year - just need to officially sign up
2015-01-09 8:01 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Ugh, I've done this two years in a row. First year it wasn't so bad, I think they went easy on everyone. Last year they had you do an FTP test as the first ride THEN destroyed you for a week straight. Some of the doubles last year were brutal. Stage 8 looks insane but what a great positive way to remember someone. Don't know if I can do it this year as the basement and trainer area is in the midst of a renovation but stage 8 makes me want to do it anyway. Best of luck to all who try.

2015-01-09 9:04 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Toefuzz Donation made, number printed, videos downloaded! This will be my first and I'm looking forward to it.

What's the total cost for the videos?

2015-01-09 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by trisuppo
Originally posted by djmikula Are the downloads free with a donation? I already have Islagiat, blender, and local hero. If so, I'm in. I considered sufferfest, but might wait until next year.
Don't believe so. Not sure that they should be. If you subscribe to trainerroad all of the ride profiles are on there and you can do the rides without the video. Video certainly makes it more fun but not an absolute requirement. Suffering is the only requirement.

The videos are really awesome.  The newer ones are very well done.  For the longest time Fight Club was my favorite video until The Rookie.  That video is amazing.  Put me in first person in a sprint against Mark Cavendish?!  Sign me up!

Here's a sample of the video:

http://vimeo.com/109085298

2015-01-09 9:19 AM
in reply to: #5081358

User image

I hope to do it. I'm having issues with getting trainer road working correctly with my kickr.
2015-01-09 12:45 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by Toefuzz Donation made, number printed, videos downloaded! This will be my first and I'm looking forward to it.

Answered my own question:

Endurance Pack + Cycling Speed Kit + the others individually = $141.92

Sounds fun, but I probably won't participate You all have fun, though! 

2015-01-09 2:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

You could get the streaming app for $10 a month that includes all the videos other than Elements of Style and Nine Hammers.

2015-01-09 2:11 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by msteiner

You could get the streaming app for $10 a month that includes all the videos other than Elements of Style and Nine Hammers.

Oh really? Then that's not so bad. 

It's through an app, so likely I'd have to do it on my Android phone? My tablet is a kindle and not supported. 

2015-01-10 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
I'm in for year 2. Vids - check; bib - check. Let the suffering begin.

Agree very much that the new vids are really a step up in quality. Just did The Rookie and Elements of Style back to back. The Rookie may now be my fav. Dropping Jens is always cool.
2015-01-13 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

It's through an app, so likely I'd have to do it on my Android phone? My tablet is a kindle and not supported. 

Sorry for responding so late.  Yeah the app is for Apple or Android.

2015-01-14 9:47 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

ok I think i figured out my technical issues and I've registered for the tour. I'm not sure how this will fit in with other training but we'll find out soon enough.
2015-01-14 12:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Are you sure they released the android app? Originally only Aple with Android planned for later?

Edited by trisuppo 2015-01-14 12:37 PM

2015-01-14 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
They typically have a sale on the videos just before the tour (10-20% off) so you may keep an eye out. I haven't seen it yet, though.

This will be my 3rd time through. My race bib number is P41N and my wife is joining me this year for her first. I think her number is 5UFF3R1N6

2015-01-14 1:35 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Master
Originally posted by dprocket

They typically have a sale on the videos just before the tour (10-20% off) so you may keep an eye out. I haven't seen it yet, though.

This will be my 3rd time through. My race bib number is P41N and my wife is joining me this year for her first. I think her number is 5UFF3R1N6

On the facebook thread I believe a trainerroad rep said no sale this year. They had some cybermonday sales, etc. and relayed that one shouldn't expect another sale. I'd still look but not expect. If you're using trainerroad you don't need the video to complete the tour. Video makes it more fun for sure.
2015-01-14 1:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Are you sure they released the android app? Originally only Aple with Android planned for later?

It looks like it's out. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thesufferfest

2015-01-14 6:18 PM

User image

Master

It looks like it's out. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thesufferfest

My fault - thought you were talking about the trainerroad app. Not every ride in the ToS is available on sufferfests streaming app. You would have to buy a couple I believe.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OFFICIAL Tour of Sufferlandria 2015 Thread Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Official Tour Of Sufferlandria Thread 2014 Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by cornick
Views: 13359 Posts: 289

2014-02-11 12:24 PM jonD81

Official Tour Of Sufferlandria Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by jonD81
Views: 15810 Posts: 211

2013-02-06 7:06 AM jhouse4

Tour of Sufferlandria - Sufferfest video

Started by dprocket
Views: 1116 Posts: 2

2013-01-23 4:00 PM brickbd

Tour of Sufferlandria: Question for the Two Workout Days

Started by BernardDogs
Views: 1899 Posts: 13

2013-01-24 2:18 PM jonD81

Tour of Sufferlandria on TR

Started by m.a.burghart
Views: 1907 Posts: 20

2013-01-22 9:36 AM Clempson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 0
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.