Pre-race routine:

Wake: 4:00 a.m.
Food: Bagel, peanut butter, oatmeal.
Depart: 5:00 a.m.
Arrive: 6:30 a.m.
Setup: 6:30-7:00 a.m.
Race: 7:30 a.m.
Event warmup:

Did some light stretching, but that was it.
Swim
  • 08m 54s
  • 350 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

I did o.k. but knew the swim would be my weakness. I made it about half way through before I had to switch to a backstroke. Had to do this 3 times for about 15-20 seconds each. Also hanging onto the wall at the turns a little longer than I would like. Need to work the swim more as this is just a form and breathing issue. Getting tired due to being so inefficient. Got caught up behind two people in a lane. They swam side by side for an entire length! Probably cost me 20 seconds as they were very slow. All I could do was slowly breast stroke behind them until I got the opportunity to pass on the turn.
What would you do differently?:

Just need to get in better shape and work on my form and breathing. I know how to do this. Just need to make it happen.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

I changed into my shoes in the transition and didn't have them pre-mounted to the bike. Need to work on this aspect at some point in the future but I have bigger fish to fry first before I worry about shaving a few seconds in transition.

Nothing. Transition was quick and went to plan. Considering it was my first ever, I was very happy with it.
Bike
  • 40m 14s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I came out of T1 on an adrenaline rush. I was going way too fast. After the first 2 miles I looked down at my Garmin and saw my HR was in the 180's! I toned it down and got back into the 150's; normal for me. After that, the ride went great and I think I paced it well.

Calm down coming out of transition. Act like you have done this before. :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

I thought this transition went well too. I had laid everything out and had a plan. Worked the plan and things went smoothly. Ran with my bike shoes on. Haven't worked in flying mount/dismounts yet.

Nothing. This transition went perfectly to plan. Only rating it average due to my skill level, but I believe I performed within my limits.
Run
  • 29m 6s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 49s  min/km
Comments:

Plan was to start slow and negative split the run. I did this. Felt pretty fatigued to start the run, but kept calm and really focused on my HR and not letting it get out of control. Once I was half way through the run, I started slowly increasing the pace as my adrenaline started to kick in anticipating the finish line. Was able to finish very strong.

Nothing. Thought I handled the run well and was smart to keep it under control in the beginning; unlike what I did on the bike. I probably could have gone 30 seconds to a minute faster, but was o.k. with being conservative since this was my first tri and I didn't have any idea what to expect.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing really. Just walked around the reception area and grabbed a few carbs and a banana from the food table.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience. If I had to run the same race the following weekend, I probably could shave 3-5 minutes off this time. I took it a little easy since it was my first time on this merry-go-round.

Event comments:

This is the perfect 1st timers triathlon. Sprint distance, pool swim, good crowd, fairly easy course, but just challenging enough to make it interesting. Organization was good and post meal food was decent. Transition area was not overly crowded. Great race. Will definitely do it again in the future. They have 3 a year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:54 | 350 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 39/48
Overall: 261/369
Performance: Below average
Suit: Pearl Izumi tri suit.
Course: 50m pool, serpentine.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:14 | 12 miles | 17.90 mile/hr
Overall: 205/369
Wind: None
Course: Slightly hilly. Heard several of the locals refer to it as a "hilly" course, but it was not hilly compared to where I train. I thought it was a fairly easy and fast course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:06 | 05 kms | 05m 49s  min/km
Overall: 245/369
Course: A little hilly but nothing crazy. Run mostly through a subdivision on concrete sidewalks and roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-01-08 1:33 PM

User image

Subject: Cooper Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cooper Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cooper Sprint Triathlon

Started by m2tx
Views: 1169 Posts: 1

2014-07-19 10:59 PM m2tx

Cooper Sprint Triathlon

Started by shawnrsmith
Views: 959 Posts: 1

2013-07-23 2:36 PM shawnrsmith

Cooper Sprint Triathlon

Started by Iron Zen
Views: 1234 Posts: 1

2013-07-21 4:17 PM Iron Zen

Cooper Sprint Triathlon

Started by ccage
Views: 941 Posts: 1

2013-07-21 9:41 AM ccage

Cooper Sprint Triathlon

Started by ashort33
Views: 1292 Posts: 5

2013-03-26 6:32 PM dcon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.