General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Basic ,threshold and overload training and heartrate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-09 6:43 AM

Subject: Basic ,threshold and overload training and heartrate
Hi,I have been researching basic,threshold and overload training for the swim leg of triathlons.The recommended heart rate varies for each of the 3 training levels.Does these heart rates for the 3 training levels differ for the swim,bike and run training for a triathlon?

I'm new to this type of training so I hope the question doesnt sound daft. Cheers.

2015-01-09 7:38 AM
in reply to: Turbo123

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Basic ,threshold and overload training and heartrate
Originally posted by Turbo123

Hi,I have been researching basic,threshold and overload training for the swim leg of triathlons.The recommended heart rate varies for each of the 3 training levels.Does these heart rates for the 3 training levels differ for the swim,bike and run training for a triathlon?

I'm new to this type of training so I hope the question doesnt sound daft. Cheers.

these probably map to EN1, EN2, EN3 "zones". You will probably be better off going by pace rather than HR, but yes the HR values would be different than bike and run.

Google EN1, EN2, EN3, swimming and you will find tons of info on it including pacing and rest time for different sets in those zones
2015-01-09 12:07 PM
in reply to: marcag

Marcag,thanks for the reply.I should have said I'm a swimmer and familiar with E1,E2 and E3 in swimming terms..I was wondering if the heart rates assocciated with E1,E2 and E3 when swimming are different for the cycling or running.Hope that makes sense.Ta again mate.
2015-01-09 2:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Turbo123

Marcag,thanks for the reply.I should have said I'm a swimmer and familiar with E1,E2 and E3 in swimming terms..I was wondering if the heart rates assocciated with E1,E2 and E3 when swimming are different for the cycling or running.Hope that makes sense.Ta again mate.

it just clicked that I replied to you in the other thread. I understand now.

you probably won't find a lot of people familiar with their HR in the watter because so few devices provide it.

but I know my anaerobc threshold bike HR is 10 beats less than running. I am also very in tune with my aerobic threshold HR

I would say my swim E1 HR is above my aerobic HR for the run and bike
I would guess my E2 HR on the swim is close to my bike but less than my run. THis I base on my HR when I come out of the water of an Oly and my Garmin starts to work.

By I believe different muscle groups and different fitness in the different sports will yield different HRs at aerobic and anaerobic threshold.

Edited by marcag 2015-01-09 2:52 PM
2015-01-09 2:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Yes they are different. Google John Urbancheck and his color chart. There is some reference to HR. Also Sweetenham can be googled and his HR reference as it correlates to EN1, EN2 and EN3 zones. My major disagreement with swim community in use of HR is that they generalize and shoot of the hip. They do not field test athletes as they apply "HR training" to the whole squad with same zone values. We know from extensive read that HR values can vary greatly from individual to individual......Also, being picky, their values really refer to pulse not HR as they have swimmer find their pulse and count after the interval was swam...........Many flaws with that.
Urbanchek has pace tables that have been refined by his wife, same tables found in ASCA Level 3 Physiology school.....Stick with pace values, probably better for now until underwater HR devices get refined and you complete T30 test recording average HR....
2015-01-10 5:25 AM
in reply to: marcag

Thats interesting.I have to take my hat off to you triathlon guys.I only swim and have done a lot of swim legs in relay triathlons.It's as much as I can do to stagger out of the water to hand over to the cyclist,I'm always knackered.How you guys do it I'll never know,fair play to all,you must all be mad

2015-01-10 5:35 AM
in reply to: atasic

Thanks for that,I googled John Urbancheck and his color chart and found a really interesting article,I'll read it in detail later.
I agree with you about swim coached using a blanket approach to heart rate training,given every one is different.I'll use CSS for training and maybe cross reference it with heart rate out of interest.

Thanks again for your answer,it was very helpful.Cheers.
2015-01-12 12:42 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
The problem with HR training for swimmers, aside from what was already mentioned is that you can generate a high HR very easily and not be making better progress in the water. This is of course ability dependent. a good swimmer can directly correlate increased effort with increased speed and not a lot of excess wasted energy.

But anything less than a good swimmer, and adding "effort" to swimming frequently generates a lot of wasted movement which elevates HR but doesn't lead to an equivalent improvement in pace.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Basic ,threshold and overload training and heartrate Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

VO2, Lactate Threshold, Aerobic and Anerobic Threshold Link

Started by DV 1
Views: 1085 Posts: 7

2012-03-21 8:22 AM gsmacleod

Cycling Lactate Threshold vs. Running Lactate Threshold

Started by harrisdthompson
Views: 6470 Posts: 7

2011-07-29 3:52 PM brigby1

Lactate Threshold Vs. Anaerobic Threshold

Started by Kermat89
Views: 6576 Posts: 6

2011-03-29 2:31 PM AdventureBear

Anaerobic Threshold vs Lactate Threshold

Started by vrljc
Views: 5474 Posts: 9

2008-02-07 6:33 PM AdventureBear

Calculating lactate threshold heartrate?

Started by Mermaidenau
Views: 3384 Posts: 12

2005-10-06 7:41 PM KenMierke
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone

date : April 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Discussions on overload, adaptation, progression and periodization, specificity of training, training at intensity
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
comments : 0
Your training plan is a guide but you don’t blindly follow it. You shouldn’t know exactly what you are going to do until the day you are to do it.