BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Why not "Tri"? - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2015-02-03 10:52 PM
in reply to: mikerunkle

User image

Subject: RE: Why not "Tri"? - Open
I've never forumed before. hope I'm doing this right.
I figured since the group is still open that you are still excepting clueless wonderers into your flock.

NAME: Matt

STORY: I decided (when I was 29) to run a marathon before I turned 30, missed it by a year because my wife was afraid I would have a heart attack if I ran a full my first year. At 36 now, I've run 3 half marathons, 6 full, 1 Tough Mudder and 1 full marathon trail run. I am a very slow and steady kind of runner. I will never be in the top 25% of finishers but love a good physical challenge so a triathlon seemed like the next logical one.

I am totally clueless on all aspects (except the running) for a triathlon; do I have to wear a wet suit, can I use the road bike hanging in my barn, how the hell do the folks I see doing this on TV run without socks. this is just the tip of the ice burg of my questions.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, with four kids yes for kids (it's not my fault my wife is beautiful, fertile and Catholic) ages:11,8,5,1

CURRENT TRAINING: Running about 15 miles a week and will be ramping that up to over 30 by Easter. and trying to decide what kind of indoor bike I should get (oh yes, almost forgot, that's another of my questions). I don't have much swimming options near me until water and air temps increase and I can go to the nearby lakes.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: April: Xenia Ohio Marathon (very cheap, very low key, mostly paved bike trail, if nearby check it out).
sometime after July: Triathlon distance is undetermined, I'm open to suggestions (another of my questions)

2014 RACES: Xenia Ohio 1/2 marathon
BobCat Trail Marathon (Hiking trails in foothills of Appalachia

WEIGHTLOSS: I am a beefy guy at 205. Sure I'd love to lose the tire I wear around my waist but figured that if I haven't lost it yet that it's not going anywhere and I LOVE to eat. If I could gain a few pounds I could be a Clydesdale and compete against boys that are more my build. I've always thought that classes should not be divided by weight as much as inseam.

Why I'd be a good Mentore, mentori, mentorded: I am lost.

2015-02-04 8:14 AM
in reply to: adalt2

User image

Kalispell, Montana
I do go to a spin class two times a week to keep my cycle training up until the weather improves. The bike will probably be my strongest leg so I am OK with that plan. I was wondering more about training for the swimming and running indoors. What types of resources does everyone use to keep them motivated and improving.
2015-02-04 10:51 AM
in reply to: RockHead

, Indiana
What kind of strength training and how much does everyone fit into their schedules? Should anything specific be priority?

The only strength training I've ever done consistently is hauling bags of feed and hay for my horses. I realize this isn't enough, but my motivation appears limited to cardio. I just started a once a week Power/ Ashtanga Yoga class. I think it helps, but sadly realize it is probably not enough. Thoughts?
2015-02-04 11:43 AM
in reply to: bgood85

User image

Kalispell, Montana
I do strength training every time I train for about 30 minutes. I work solely on my upper body with reps in the 15 per set range to gain a balance of strength and endurance. I have my routine broken into a three day rotation so I hit the same exercises every forth day.

This is probably all wrong, but that is what I do.
2015-02-06 10:35 AM
in reply to: RockHead

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Originally posted by RockHead

Name - Tom

Story - I have no race history. I am just starting to train. I don't really have anyone to bounce ideas off of, so I thought a group might be helpful. Right now I am training at the local gym in a pool, spin class and treadmill. The gym has an indoor track and I plan to do some real running once a week. I downloaded a training app for an Olympic distance tri with a race scheduled in May and have been following it for a couple of weeks. I also hope to do my first tri in April to get a feel for them before I do my first "official" tri in May. Both will be sprints, but the April tri has a 1000yd swim which is already making me nervous. I am in presently in North Dakota so outdoor opportunities are off the table for a while.

Family Status - Married with two teenage boys.

Races - I plan to do my first sprint next May and plan to add more dates for the summer next spring. I am more drawn to the faster, shorter distances. I don't think I have the mental capacity to train or participate in the long distance races. I have been thinking about maybe trying a XTERRA this year as well.

Weight Loss - I would like to lose about 10 pounds, but I haven't really thought to much about it. I figure the training will take of it, provided I stick with it.

Any ideas for indoor training?

Tom,
Welcome. Did I read that correctly that a Sprint race has a 1000 yard swim? Wow. That's a little out of the ordinary for a Sprint. Jeez, I probably didn't help you at all in your nervousness for that one. Sorry.

See above threads for some thoughts on indoor training. Short version, it can be exceptionally boring, but is a necessary evil.
2015-02-06 11:55 AM
in reply to: raycytraci

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Originally posted by raycytraci

I see that this group is still open. I would like to join but I am definitely a newbie.

NAME: Traci/raycytraci

STORY: When I was 38 I saw the Kona IM championships for the first time and was in awe of the mental and physical strength of the competitors and their back stories. I immediately started researching triathlons and was hooked. Before that I was a couch potato that worked out at the gym occasionally. I did not ever think that that I would do an IM because my weakness is endurance but definitely interested in sprints and olympics. I started training but always got blocked by minor injuries and/or life events. I told myself that I would at least finish one sprint before I turned 40. Alas, that did not happen, but my passion and interest did not wan. Over the years I would start and stop training and eventually I gained so much weight that I lost focus. I am now wanting to be serious and will sign up for 3 sprint triathlons this summer. The first one is June 21st. Yikes!

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced for 11years, no children. But I do have 3 furry children...2 pugs and a 10 month old chocolate Lab.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just started couch to 5K program (again). Once I lose a couple of lbs will start swimming and biking. I bought a treadmill for my home 2 weeks ago and it has really helped my motivation.

THIS YEARS RACES: 3 Sprints this summer.

2014 RACES: None

WEIGHTLOSS: My ideal weight (goal wt) is 56 lbs away.

Traci,
Welcome to the group! As a warning to you (and everyone else), once you start Tri you will never shake the little voice in your head that wants you to do a full IM someday. You won't be able to help it. Partially because of the dominance of that distance in this sport (you can't get away from people talking about it) and partly because you will always have that itch to go further than you go now. So I say embrace the challenge. Don't sign up for one as your first (or second race) or anything nutty like that but don't discount whether or not you think you can do it. You can. It'll just take some effort.

2015-02-06 12:21 PM
in reply to: Furb

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Originally posted by Furb

I've never forumed before. hope I'm doing this right.
I figured since the group is still open that you are still excepting clueless wonderers into your flock.

NAME: Matt

STORY: I decided (when I was 29) to run a marathon before I turned 30, missed it by a year because my wife was afraid I would have a heart attack if I ran a full my first year. At 36 now, I've run 3 half marathons, 6 full, 1 Tough Mudder and 1 full marathon trail run. I am a very slow and steady kind of runner. I will never be in the top 25% of finishers but love a good physical challenge so a triathlon seemed like the next logical one.

I am totally clueless on all aspects (except the running) for a triathlon; do I have to wear a wet suit, can I use the road bike hanging in my barn, how the hell do the folks I see doing this on TV run without socks. this is just the tip of the ice burg of my questions.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, with four kids yes for kids (it's not my fault my wife is beautiful, fertile and Catholic) ages:11,8,5,1

CURRENT TRAINING: Running about 15 miles a week and will be ramping that up to over 30 by Easter. and trying to decide what kind of indoor bike I should get (oh yes, almost forgot, that's another of my questions). I don't have much swimming options near me until water and air temps increase and I can go to the nearby lakes.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: April: Xenia Ohio Marathon (very cheap, very low key, mostly paved bike trail, if nearby check it out).
sometime after July: Triathlon distance is undetermined, I'm open to suggestions (another of my questions)

2014 RACES: Xenia Ohio 1/2 marathon
BobCat Trail Marathon (Hiking trails in foothills of Appalachia

WEIGHTLOSS: I am a beefy guy at 205. Sure I'd love to lose the tire I wear around my waist but figured that if I haven't lost it yet that it's not going anywhere and I LOVE to eat. If I could gain a few pounds I could be a Clydesdale and compete against boys that are more my build. I've always thought that classes should not be divided by weight as much as inseam.

Why I'd be a good Mentore, mentori, mentorded: I am lost.

Matt,
Welcome to the group. As to your initial questions above: Wetsuit is authorized when the water is below 78 degrees. There are certain benefits to wearing one AS LONG AS IT FITS CORRECTLY. Namely the buoyancy in the legs that will help you float and maintain good profile in the water. Also, most wetsuits have less drag than your unclad body. But very important to have one that fits correctly and that you've trained in so you understand where you might have limitation to your arm movement.
Bike. You can use anything with two wheels and a handlebar. My first half dozen races were done on a walmart special mountain bike. You just need to swallow your pride and realize that absolutely everyone is going to pass you.
First Tri: Recommend finding a Sprint distance race. Good way to see how the three sports get put together.

2015-02-06 12:26 PM
in reply to: bgood85

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Originally posted by bgood85

What kind of strength training and how much does everyone fit into their schedules? Should anything specific be priority?

The only strength training I've ever done consistently is hauling bags of feed and hay for my horses. I realize this isn't enough, but my motivation appears limited to cardio. I just started a once a week Power/ Ashtanga Yoga class. I think it helps, but sadly realize it is probably not enough. Thoughts?

If you do a search of the forums, you'll see dozens of posts about strength training. Actually I think it has its own forum. Across the board, everyone agrees that strength training can be done and should be done, but you won't find much consensus on what type and the level of intensity. It is a very personal choice. I go back and forth on this myself. I tend to strength train more when I'm not doing a specific tri-training program because I hate trying to swim/bike/run if I've got sore muscles from strength training. On the flip side though, a number of my injuries came from strength training, so I am currently leaning away from fitting it in. Conceptually I think there is benefit to doing leg and core strength training because I imagine you'd see benefits in the bike and run.
2015-02-06 2:04 PM

User image

Kalispell, Montana

Tom,
Welcome. Did I read that correctly that a Sprint race has a 1000 yard swim? Wow. That's a little out of the ordinary for a Sprint. Jeez, I probably didn't help you at all in your nervousness for that one. Sorry.

See above threads for some thoughts on indoor training. Short version, it can be exceptionally boring, but is a necessary evil.

Yes, you read that correctly. 1000 yds. I am not sure why cause the bike and run are typical lengths for a bike and run sprint (Grizzly Triathlon - Missoula, MT). My goal for April is to just be able to finish the 1000 yds without having to death grab the edge of the pool during the race. On top of that they have a 30 minute cut off time! Oh well, like I said I consider the tri in May to be my first tri and this one to be a big learning experience. Since I am doing an Olympic distance training program I looked ahead and I will be training at 1000+ yds in April.
2015-02-06 7:50 PM

User image

New user
San Antonio, Texas
A good source for bikes is bikesdirect.com. I bought a carbon bike off that site and have no complaints about it. I was able to put it together before taking it to a local bike shop to have it fitted. There are a lot of other options, depending on how much you want to spend.

2015-02-07 1:29 PM
in reply to: adalt2

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Originally posted by adalt2

A good source for bikes is bikesdirect.com. I bought a carbon bike off that site and have no complaints about it. I was able to put it together before taking it to a local bike shop to have it fitted. There are a lot of other options, depending on how much you want to spend.

Sounds like a nice bike.

I totally bonked in spin class today. I have been going to Saturday morning spin class on an empty stomach to get my body used to working on no calories. It had been working great, but I had a lite supper last night as well. I guess I can't do both. Is this a worthwhile training method or am I going thru needless suffering?

2015-02-07 9:02 PM
in reply to: #5081610

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
A couple of random replies to above posts. Doing this from mobile tablet, so can't see original posts to quote them directly...
1. 1000yd swim. You'll get there faster than you realize. Adding distance to your swim training is much easier than adding time and miles to bike/run. FYI, for those who dread the drudgery of looking at the long black line in the swim, might I recommend the audioflood ipod or any other music player. I dont' run or bike with music but I love having it in the pool to take my mind of the boredom of repeititive laps.
2. Spin classes. Are very good for basic endurance training. You will get "in shape" but you will not teach your body how to work on your bike. You absolutely need time in your saddle on your frame. So I do think spin classes are a good use of time they should not be your only bike time.
3. Strength training. Very good to do in off-season. Good to incorporate core work during tri training if you can fit it in. But if time-crunched, itd be the first thing I cut before I cut a SBR workout.
4. Wetsuits. They provide drag reduction and buoyancy in the swim. Both very good things, especially if you are a typical triathlete swimmer who has a lousy kick (saving legs for bike/run). The wetsuit helps keep them afloat so they don't drag down like a sea-anchor. The temperature cutoff is usually 78 degrees for being able to wear one. But like every tool in your toolbox, you need to find one that fits you correctly and need to practice swimming in it. Sleeves or no-sleeves comes down to personal preferance. No-sleeves is easier to get on/off and doesnt constrain shoulder movement. But if it doesn't fit correctly, those arm holes will create a great deal of drag. Whereas sleeves provide more warmth and better drag reduction (more streamlined) but the added weight on the arms and shoulders could impact your stroke and it is a little harder to get out of quickly in T1. There is danger here of getting caught up in the hype of the newest/fastest/bestest suit nonsense you'll see in online retailers. There is no need to spend a fortune on this suit with the latest panels/fabric whatever. BT has a great deal going with Xterra suits and they will serve quite nicely for you.
Cheers
Mike
2015-02-08 8:39 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Mike,
I am looking for a group to help keep me accountable I need a kick in the butt as much or more than a pat on the back here is a bit about me.
Retired navy STS1/SS, Now Teaching Government, Economics, and World history in High school also coach track, I am also working on a masters and have Comps coming early march. I am married with 2 grown children. I started Triathlon in 2006 this my top achievements being an Olympic race in 2007 and marathon new years day 2008. since then my training has bee sporadic at best. I bring the following limiters at 5'7'' and 195 im fat, I drink too much, and tend to spend too much time playing EVE or World of Tanks. I have had knee surgery on my left knee two times and sometimes if does hurt quite a bit. I have several other things that tend to distract me including Aquaponics, Square foot gardening, Bee keeping, and of course Graduate study. My goals are 2015 sprint and Olympic race, run a half marathon and set the stage for an IM attempt in 2016. Like I say I need a group that is not afraid to say what the H.LL are you doing Go train, as well as saying great job overcoming XXXXX. Let me know if I sound like a good fit.

Clifford
2015-02-08 1:46 PM
in reply to: #5091537

Hi all, hope you've had a good weekend, I've been for 2 runs- the first for a year and my calves are immediately going into a massive knot as soon as I start running, I couldn't get rid of them by runnung, I sopped and stretched a couple of times but they never went completely....does any one get this when they start to run? I've been on the foam roller today but am due to run again tomorrow, any tips or advice gratefully recieved!
2015-02-08 2:58 PM
in reply to: loops

, Wales
just got back from my first brick session - a short one to be sure 20mins on the turbo followed by 5k run - legs felt like jelly for the first half mile but after that was good
2015-02-08 3:51 PM
in reply to: CBarnes

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Originally posted by CBarnes

Mike,
I am looking for a group to help keep me accountable I need a kick in the butt as much or more than a pat on the back here is a bit about me.
Retired navy STS1/SS, Now Teaching Government, Economics, and World history in High school also coach track, I am also working on a masters and have Comps coming early march. I am married with 2 grown children. I started Triathlon in 2006 this my top achievements being an Olympic race in 2007 and marathon new years day 2008. since then my training has bee sporadic at best. I bring the following limiters at 5'7'' and 195 im fat, I drink too much, and tend to spend too much time playing EVE or World of Tanks. I have had knee surgery on my left knee two times and sometimes if does hurt quite a bit. I have several other things that tend to distract me including Aquaponics, Square foot gardening, Bee keeping, and of course Graduate study. My goals are 2015 sprint and Olympic race, run a half marathon and set the stage for an IM attempt in 2016. Like I say I need a group that is not afraid to say what the H.LL are you doing Go train, as well as saying great job overcoming XXXXX. Let me know if I sound like a good fit.

Clifford

Clifford,
We can do that. Welcome to the group. Tell me more about the knee surgeries. How long ago was the last one?

2015-02-08 3:53 PM
in reply to: loops

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Originally posted by loops

Hi all, hope you've had a good weekend, I've been for 2 runs- the first for a year and my calves are immediately going into a massive knot as soon as I start running, I couldn't get rid of them by runnung, I sopped and stretched a couple of times but they never went completely....does any one get this when they start to run? I've been on the foam roller today but am due to run again tomorrow, any tips or advice gratefully recieved!

Loops,
What kind of shoes are you in? Calves can be a major limiter when they protest like this. Stretching by doing calf raises on stairs I've found to be helpful. And I mean to do this a couple of times a day, not just before or after running. Does the foam roller work for you?
2015-02-08 5:14 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
first one was football related back in 78 torn ligaments on the inside of the knee big scar and in a cast for about 6 weeks they do it different now days... last one was on 2009 same knee cartilage very small tear and did some cleaning up of fuzzy stuff best way to describe it from the pictures he took.
2015-02-08 6:57 PM
in reply to: #5091634

User image

The weather finally broke (a little) in Ohio today and I got off the treadmill and on the pavement for the first time since November. This was also the first time I did any distance on a bike in about 4 years. I completed 6 miles on the bike with the only body part getting sore being my butt. And followed that with a 6 mile run.

Question 1. I've heard people talk about transitioning from bike to run but you don't get it untill you experience it. I felt like I was stomping and wearing shoes like Herman Munster for the first 1/2 mile. Do you get over this with with practice/training or do you just get used to it?

Question 2. I am very much a numbers guy. What speed should I shoot for during training or for the actual race (I don't want to win, I just don't want to be embarrassed).
2015-02-08 9:31 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
you will not be able to run at the same pace after a bike as you do just running but you will get better. if you have a trainer than do bricks each week even if just a 1 mile treadmill run after trainer ride it will help.
as to question 2 you should build a strong base then worry about speed. go look up last years race and see what people in your age group did. and remember the saying DNF is better than DNS, DFL is better than DNF. and I always start with 4 goals 1. don't drown. 2. Don't crash. 3. Don't pass out. 4 don't be last.
2015-02-10 8:41 AM

User image

New user
San Antonio, Texas
Matt,
Like you, I felt the same way in my run. In my first ever event last summer, I transitioned off of the bike and started my run. After about 50 yards it was like my legs didn't want to work. I ended up walking with some running thrown in. My fix to it has been to put more time on my trainer, playing with the various gears to simulate hills and such. When I finish on the trainer, I usually do some form of crossfit type exercise that includes running.

The result was I felt much better at my second sprint. I came off the bike feeling really good. I ran the route. My legs still felt heavy at the beginning, but that worked itself out and I was able to keep running.

I have limited experience with this and what I learned I learned the hard way. Maybe some others will throw ideas at this.

2015-02-10 5:50 PM
in reply to: #5091691

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Furb,
To answer your first question, Yes. The lead legs off the bike is something you need to practice and you'll get used to it. It doesn't go away, you just better understand it and can work around it. It will get easier, but you will always feel the transition.
2015-02-11 12:52 PM

User image

New user

seattle
As I look ahead to my triathlons coming up this summer, I am curious about wet suits....More specifically which would be best, full sleeve or sleeveless? I know that full sleeves would be harder to shed during T1 but as I have not had any open swims, I'm not sure how cold the water will be. What are your thoughts on the subject?
2015-02-12 10:08 AM
in reply to: raycytraci

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Originally posted by raycytraci

As I look ahead to my triathlons coming up this summer, I am curious about wet suits....More specifically which would be best, full sleeve or sleeveless? I know that full sleeves would be harder to shed during T1 but as I have not had any open swims, I'm not sure how cold the water will be. What are your thoughts on the subject?

Like most gear in this sport, there is a great deal of information overload, passionate opinions and nonsense about the true value. As with all things, it comes down to personal preference based on trying it out for yourself. Here's a quick cut/paste from an earlier post, then I'll add more after it.
"4. Wetsuits. They provide drag reduction and buoyancy in the swim. Both very good things, especially if you are a typical triathlete swimmer who has a lousy kick (saving legs for bike/run). The wetsuit helps keep them afloat so they don't drag down like a sea-anchor. The temperature cutoff is usually 78 degrees for being able to wear one. But like every tool in your toolbox, you need to find one that fits you correctly and need to practice swimming in it. Sleeves or no-sleeves comes down to personal preference. No-sleeves is easier to get on/off and doesnt constrain shoulder movement. But if it doesn't fit correctly, those arm holes will create a great deal of drag. Whereas sleeves provide more warmth and better drag reduction (more streamlined) but the added weight on the arms and shoulders could impact your stroke and it is a little harder to get out of quickly in T1. There is danger here of getting caught up in the hype of the newest/fastest/bestest suit nonsense you'll see in online retailers. There is no need to spend a fortune on this suit with the latest panels/fabric whatever. BT has a great deal going with Xterra suits and they will serve quite nicely for you."

So, given that non-specific information you need to look at the races to plan to do and see what the water temp has been in the past. If its been borderline wetsuit legal, then I'd recommend a lighter suit and no-sleeves so you don't risk overheating. If its been really cold (low 70s or 60s) then I'd go full sleeves. But be sure to practice, practice, practice with whatever suit you get. It will change how you swim and you don't want to experience that for the first time during a race. If you do practice with wetsuit at a pool, be sure to rinse the suit thoroughly in freshwater. Chlorine will do damage.

I personally use a sleeveless suit because I don't like my shoulders being constrained. That opinion is based on decades of SCUBA experience with wetsuits and is biased that way. (I fully acknowledge that triathlon suits fit better and are easier to move in that scuba suits, but old-dog/new-tricks...)
2015-02-14 4:35 PM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Mike,
It seems like all the training plans that I have looked at are designed for a single event (i.e. build up, peak, taper off to race day). What does person do if they have a race planned say a month after the first one they trained for? Just follow the last four weeks of the plan they are using or are there maintenance plans out there? Is there a different approach?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Why not "Tri"? - Closed Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Anthony Tatasciore Tri with Tat -CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3

Started by AZChief
Views: 9350 Posts: 72

2015-10-15 4:35 PM Ro~

Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 33278 Posts: 1079

2015-12-30 11:15 PM 2NewKnees

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1048 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?