General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuits in FL Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-10 3:44 PM

Subject: Wetsuits in FL
As a newbie about to race his first tri (St. Anthony's Oly), I plan on purchasing an intro wetsuit. Not just for St. Anthony's but for future races. Living and racing in Fl, is there any need to purchase full wetsuit, or should I be safe with sleeveless?

Thanks!

2015-01-11 4:54 AM
in reply to: michael08

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: Wetsuits in FL
The answer really depends on your water temperature tolerance and what part of Florida you are racing in. I don't like cold water (under 73) (I live and race mostly in the Keys), but most of my races have been that temp and above so I just use, as most people in Florida do, the sleeveless suit. I did purchase a long sleeve for a race where the water was below 70 in January and it was almost a disaster. Too constricting for me and honestly, probably not necessary.
2015-01-11 10:05 AM
in reply to: topolina

Originally posted by topolina

The answer really depends on your water temperature tolerance and what part of Florida you are racing in. I don't like cold water (under 73) (I live and race mostly in the Keys), but most of my races have been that temp and above so I just use, as most people in Florida do, the sleeveless suit. I did purchase a long sleeve for a race where the water was below 70 in January and it was almost a disaster. Too constricting for me and honestly, probably not necessary.

Thanks. I live in SW Florida. Racing in the gulf and bay. I don't want to spend on 2 suits. Sleeveless seems to be the right choice.

Thanks!

Mike
2015-01-11 1:34 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

My main reason for owning a full wetsuit is for OW training, not racing.  Having a full suit lets me swim in the gulf year-round.

Mark

2015-01-13 10:02 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Most of my training is in pools and I have little access to open water so I have a wetsuit pretty much for racing purposes. I did St.A's a couple of years ago without a wetsuit and rather wished I had brought it, but this was the only race I did where I wished I had. So I think for the early/late season races you might wish to have a wetsuit. I know that XTerra was having a sale on sleeveless wetsuits for $109
2015-01-15 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Temperature is not only consideration in sleeves/no sleeves. Sleeves are faster and more buoyant typically. Sleeves offers more protection against jellies. I live in Panama City (north FL panhandle area) and I use sleeves. I raced Ft. De Soto couple years ago in Tampa area down there and wore wetsuit. IT was chilly. Other than that, it's really personal preference. DO NOT BASE this decision simply because the sleeveless is few dollars cheaper than the full. All things being equal, I prefer sleeves.

2015-01-18 5:46 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
I have a longsleeve. If its cold enough for a wetsuit, it's cold enough for sleeves. If it's not wetsuit legal, it's not for everyone, if that makes sense....still drinking my coffee. The long sleeves give me more options to wear it, IMO. Guess it really just depends on your comfort level. I'd rather be warm than cold any day.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuits in FL Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Clyde looking for Wetsuit in FL

Started by Jordan300
Views: 809 Posts: 3

2009-06-16 10:19 PM Jordan300

Wetsuits in NE Fl

Started by Itsallgood
Views: 849 Posts: 3

2007-03-10 10:01 AM seviya

Seven Mile Bridge Race - FL Keys

Started by jjweav
Views: 778 Posts: 5

2006-04-19 7:56 PM jjweav

Clearwater FL Open Swim Clinic Sat 4/9

Started by Renee
Views: 747 Posts: 1

2005-04-08 10:17 AM Renee

Must-do's for Jacksonville, FL

Started by Hawkeye
Views: 892 Posts: 1

2005-03-28 10:37 AM Hawkeye
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Cinci41
My thinking was that with three events, I could vary my training enough so it wouldn't grow stale prior to seeing positive results and finding the additional motivation I needed to continue training.