Race Day Events
84F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 55m 42s
Overall Rank = 69/150
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

Set the alarm for 5am. Woke up at 4am and felt really good. I ate 2 small bagels with honey and drank a 20oz bottle of water. I had packed the truck up the night before so I ended up leaving at 5:15am for the 30 mile drive. Registered at 6:15 and racked my bike and walked around. 7am took a gel with water. Walked to the lake and couldn't believe how far I was going to swim but I felt very relaxed.
Event warmup:

swam 100 yards
Swim
  • 35m 42s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is the longest OW swim I have done. I couldn't swim 2 years ago and would panic in water over my head. I swam very consistently the entire course and even enjoyed it. I started in the 2nd wave of over 40 males and I was getting passed by the 3rd wave of the women. Let me tell you, women are brutal. I was getting beat up when the leaders went by. I got to draft off of a couple of them for a short time.
What would you do differently?:

I was slower than my training times in a 25yd pool. I probably could have swam faster but I was afraid I would have had to have been rescued. Work on sighting more in OW. The last corner bouy was about half flat and was hard to see.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

Between the lake and T1 was a 1/4 mile uphill run. Everyone took there running shoes to the lake and put them on after the swim. I was a little dizzy coming out of the water so I looked drunk getting my shoes on. T1 went smooth after I got to it. The fastest T1 time was 3 mins and the longest was over 10 mins.

I wore bike gloves for this race. I normally don't wear them so it added a couple of seconds. I also forgot to open my bike shoes when I set up. I wear a Breath Rite nose strip and I didn't have the package open like I normally do.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 49s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I wasn't planning on riding this hard but it just felt good. Drank 1 bottle of water and 2 gels. It seemed like we rode into a headwind both directions. My hill climb training came in handy. I passed a lot of people on the hills.

Drink a little more water
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Went very smooth. The fastest time was 50 seconds and the longest was 3:08. Took a gel before the run.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 00m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran almost the entire course with a 17 year old male and he kept me going. My hip and knee started hurting at mile 4. It seemed like my heart rate was to high the entire run but was running slower than I normally do. Took a gel after the 2nd mile, that's why that split was so slow, and 3 water breaks over 6.2 miles.

Probably need more bricks and longer training runs.
Post race
Warm down:

They had ice cold towels at the end which was a blessing. Water water water Walked around, visited and ate food. I'm starting to see a lot of the same people over and over. I enjoyed visiting with them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I ran this race a my C race of the year. It was my 1st OLY ever, but I've raced in 6 sprints this year, and I just wanted to finish. Last week I took a nasty fall off of my bike. I have a 6" strawberry on my right hip, scabs on my right elbow and knee, and was black and blue from my waist to my knee on the right leg. I also had some tightness in my right shoulder. I swam OW on Tuesday before the race and it was really bothering me but felt OK for this race.

Event comments:

For the shape my body was in, it being my first OLY, and swimming that far in OW I think I did really good. My bike speed is coming up, my swimming is more relaxed, just have to work on running this winter.

Last updated: 2006-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:42 | 1640 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 108/150
Performance: Good
Suit: no
Course: Triangle 1st leg was about 600 yards, 2nd leg 800 yards, 3rd leg 240 yards
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:49 | 24.85 miles | 20.48 mile/hr
Overall: 56/150
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back on country roads
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:38 | 06.21 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Overall: 81/150
Performance: Average
9:03,9:23,11:00 rested until 30:00 at 3 miles, didn't check the next splits, last 3.2 miles in 30:38
Course: Road/Trail run through rolling hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No