General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Grand Rapids Tri--hotels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-11 12:29 AM

Subject: Grand Rapids Tri--hotels
Morning all
I know it's afew months yet, but any suggestions on places to stay for the GRT? There are three of us, prefer someplace wth indoor pool.
Thanks
Joe

2015-01-12 9:12 PM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Subject: RE: Grand Rapids Tri--hotels
I grew up in GR but I still had to google map it to refresh my memory!

That is a really nice area, any of the chain hotels around there should be fine. If you want to go more with price and chain hotel convenience, anything on the East Beltline or around Cascade would work. No promises on the pool, though. I have personally stayed at the Country Inn and Suites at the East Beltline (M44) exit off 96, and it was very nice, they held our stuff for a late check out.

The Amway is downtown GR and a bit more a drive than something on the East Beltline, and maybe a hassle with having to ramp-park or valet your car, but it looks like the Amway is hosting it so it would probably be best for the event. I have been in the pool at the Amway, and if I recall, it's a legit 25m or more lap pool. Also, if you are staying afterwards, it is right next to a lot of bars and restaurants to celebrate! If you want to experience downtown GR, it would be a good choice.

If you need to, check out Calvin College, Cornerstone University, or the downtown GR YMCA for swim/exercise facilities. Forest Hills is a school district with 3 high schools and I would guess they would have open swims at one of their pools.

2015-01-12 9:13 PM
in reply to: anneozzy

User image

Oh and while you're there you might as well drive another half hour west and go to Lake Michigan Not sure where you're from but the Great Lakes are worth it!
2015-01-14 10:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Just chiming in to say that didn't GR just install some light rail or Bus Rapid Transit? It might be worth it to see if there are any cheaper hotels close to the transit route.

I was there for Michigan Titanium (stayed with a family friend, so no help on the hotel) and can recommend Brewery Vivant (duck and brie nachos!), Founder's, and Grand Rapids Brewery, as well as Wolfgang's and Anna's House for breakfast.

Also, our packet pickup was at a pretty nice Y just north of town, so I'm sure if you can't find a hotel with a pool you might be able to get a day pass somewhere within a reasonable drive.

Edited by Miles around Midtown 2015-01-14 10:53 AM
2015-01-14 2:57 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

Thanks all

We will probably take a ride over in a month or so and check out a few places. They need to have the wife/daughter buy in. The pool is something they can do when I am out doing my thing or napping......
2015-01-18 11:25 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Joe,

I Hotwired a room when I did GR and thought I got a great deal at the Baymont Inn near the Airport.  It was a decent area with plenty around.  The Baymont let me pay an additional $10 to get a room with two queens since Boresnik was my sherpa.  I'd stay there again without hesitation.

To pin down what you might be getting on HotWire check out:   http://www.betterbidding.com/

Steve

2015-01-18 3:06 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown Just chiming in to say that didn't GR just install some light rail or Bus Rapid Transit? It might be worth it to see if there are any cheaper hotels close to the transit route. I was there for Michigan Titanium (stayed with a family friend, so no help on the hotel) and can recommend Brewery Vivant (duck and brie nachos!), Founder's, and Grand Rapids Brewery, as well as Wolfgang's and Anna's House for breakfast. Also, our packet pickup was at a pretty nice Y just north of town, so I'm sure if you can't find a hotel with a pool you might be able to get a day pass somewhere within a reasonable drive.

The Belmont Y is where packet pickup is and it does have a really nice pool, however if your reason for one is so the family can hang out while you're registering etc., then this pool won't be a good option..  An option if you stayed downtown is the David D. Hunting Y on Lake Michigan drive, walking distance from the Amway Grand..

I would say the Amway downtown would be fine regarding drive time on race day as well.  And as someone else suggested, if you stay another night you'll be right downtown within easy walking distance of many great restaurants and family friendly night (or early evening) spots...

Forest Hills Aquatic Center is a shared pool for the three Forest Hills schools and is located in the vicinity of the race.  They have open swim on the weekends, however you'd need to verify there isn't a swim meet going on the weekend of the race.  

No rail system in GR and the bus system wouldn't be practical to get anywhere timely.  It's fine for jumping around downtown but you'd have a ton of connections to get further out, especially anywhere near the race which is quite a ways East from the hotel...

Good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Grand Rapids Tri--hotels Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Grand Rapids Tri June 9th First Timer ?'s

Started by DV 1
Views: 1711 Posts: 12

2013-06-05 6:48 PM DV 1

Grand Rapids or West MI Tri Gear

Started by davidson3
Views: 1427 Posts: 4

2009-06-26 7:00 PM xarhelm

Anyone in the Grand Rapids area have access or

Started by westmichtri
Views: 1606 Posts: 17

2008-06-30 2:34 PM fsr402

OWS options in Grand Rapids area

Started by TriMike
Views: 1128 Posts: 8

2007-07-25 8:36 AM TriMike

Grand Rapids Riverbank 25K

Started by grandhavenbill
Views: 1049 Posts: 7

2007-04-06 3:09 PM trixie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
comments : 0
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !