General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5th metatarsal fracture Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-11 8:54 AM

Subject: 5th metatarsal fracture
I have a fracture in the shaft of my 5th metatarsal. This happened 3 weeks ago. I was at home and landed on my foot, walking down the stairs.

I have conflicting reports and would appreciate some advice.

I was given aircast for first 2 weeks. Dr said I was fine to weight bear in cast. But no physical activities.

I saw orthopaedic Consultant at the end of week 2. He took away aircast and wants me to walk on my foot. I am using crutches, but he wants me to stop using them and rely on my foot and that the pain will subside with time.
Swelling and pain decreasing daily.
I have been give the green light to swim/ spin. He thinks my fracture is responding well.
I won't have a follow up X-ray for another 2 weeks.

I then saw sports physio who has said that I mustn't listen to dr and wants me to pause on all activities and not put any weight on the foot. He says that all fractures take 6-8 weeks of non weight bearing activity to heal.
I have been on a stationery bike and no pain. I'm gently cycling. I'm able to wear my own shoes, so the swelling is subsiding.
Walking is stiffer than usual, but not overly painful...

So. I am at a loss! What to do? Who to listen to??
I am a spin instructor and training for a triathlon. Any advice greatly appreciated.

2015-01-11 4:45 PM
in reply to: Heysoph

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: 5th metatarsal fracture

Originally posted by Heysoph I have a fracture in the shaft of my 5th metatarsal. This happened 3 weeks ago. I was at home and landed on my foot, walking down the stairs. I have conflicting reports and would appreciate some advice. I was given aircast for first 2 weeks. Dr said I was fine to weight bear in cast. But no physical activities. I saw orthopaedic Consultant at the end of week 2. He took away aircast and wants me to walk on my foot. I am using crutches, but he wants me to stop using them and rely on my foot and that the pain will subside with time. Swelling and pain decreasing daily. I have been give the green light to swim/ spin. He thinks my fracture is responding well. I won't have a follow up X-ray for another 2 weeks. I then saw sports physio who has said that I mustn't listen to dr and wants me to pause on all activities and not put any weight on the foot. He says that all fractures take 6-8 weeks of non weight bearing activity to heal. I have been on a stationery bike and no pain. I'm gently cycling. I'm able to wear my own shoes, so the swelling is subsiding. Walking is stiffer than usual, but not overly painful... So. I am at a loss! What to do? Who to listen to?? I am a spin instructor and training for a triathlon. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Well first of all the aircast is typically for an ankle not a foot injury so unless you were in an aircast boot it was doing nothing for your foot injury.  Go with what the orthopod says  They are the experts in this field.  There are a couple types of 5th metatarsal fractures and based on the info given I would hazard to guess you have what is called a pseudo-Jones fracture.  You can be weight bearing as tolerated on that fracture and they almost universally do well.  The PT is correct in saying fractures take about 6 weeks to heal but if that person doesn't know what kind of fracture you have then they don't really have any business telling you to be non weight bearing.  You are probably very safe in a cycling shoe as they are hard soled and will support the fracture if you get your foot in comfortably.  Swimming should be fine too but be extra careful on the pool deck to not slip and fall

2015-01-12 4:10 AM
in reply to: #5082187

User image

Subject: RE: 5th metatarsal fracture
I went to the ER with a similar issue last night. Luckily my metatarsal was not fractured, only sprained. The doc said to keep walking on it (but no running until the pain and swelling is gone), to tape my toes together and wear shoes with stability soles.
I was also told that I can keep swimming, cycling and wreight training as long as it doesn't get any worse. At this point my foot is so swollen that I can't fit it in my bike shoes, so I changed my pedals and wore normal trainers during my ride this morning.

In general, I have the impression that doctors (at least here in Norway) advise you to keep weight bearing when recovering from a foot injury, but you should always be careful not to over use the injured foot and thus slow down the healing process.

I hope your fracture heals quickly!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5th metatarsal fracture Rss Feed