General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-12 6:26 PM

User image

Subject: Strength Training
Last season Lake Tahoe Ironman was my goal, 25 week training plan went well and I don't think I missed any workouts. Race was scrubbed. So I took a 3 month break doing whatever I wanted but still trained six days a week on three of those days for the past 12 weeks I did whole body strength training.
Question: Couer d’Alene is now my goal. On race day I will be 52. I plan to concentrate only on Swim, Bike, Run and no additional strength training. Rather using that extra time for rest etc. Will I loose strength? Your thoughts welcome.

2015-01-12 9:19 PM
in reply to: goingthere

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Strength Training

Not if you focus on strength focused workouts while s/b/r'ing.  While I'm a proponent of lifting it's far more important to get your sport specific strength work in.

2015-01-14 12:13 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I can only speak to my specific situation so take my advice for what its worth....

I am 30 years old. I have been training pretty actively in Triathlon over the past 5 years. The past 2 have been focused on HIM and training for my first IM over last summer. I dropped an incredible amount of weight and got into great shape (270-190lbs) With that being said, I very rarely did any strength training while training for HIM or IM. I lost weight but I also had/still have very little muscle. I did not have the time to focus on ST while doing my IM training and that is my own fault. Personally, I should have ST atleast 2 times a week. I know Dave Scott is a real advocate for Strength Training with his athletes. For someone your age (not a knock on you being old) I think its very important to keep some type of strength training to maintain muscle mass to help recover better and prevent injury.

I am focusing strictly on gaining back some muscle and getting stronger this year. No long distance Tri's for me, strictly sprints, runs and strength training.
2015-01-18 7:13 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Regular
Akron
I would not stop . YOu can do a program at home twice a week with out going to the gym (20 min circuit). One purpose of strength training is to prevent muscle imbalances. Can you race with out it? Most likely, but I would think you would be more prone to injury.Why lose what you have already invested in anyhow?
2015-01-19 1:36 PM

User image

Thanks for the feedback. Not being very studious but some how I picked up this concept that for a period I could concentrate on strength for 12 weeks and then just focus on IM. Having dropped the weights with the hope that swim, bike , run would maintain the muscle. After the race back to weights etc.
The 20 min circuits twice a week at home is something I will look into.

Thanks
2015-01-24 9:38 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I've had much better results when I do some ST during training. It really doesn't require much. Right now I'm spending about 30 min/ week doing ST. Most of the focus is on strengthening the core as I believe this is the biggest bang for your buck as it applies to SBR. I've been consistently doing this for about 6 weeks now, and I already notice an impact.

2015-01-30 9:13 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Expert
I also believe strength training is important. The key is low weight/high reps to build strength. I usually do 3 x 10 where I can comfortably finish the set without straining but I am right on that edge. You are not trying to become Mr. Olympia 2015 haha. When I am lifting I also try to keep it under 30 minutes.
2015-01-30 9:39 AM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by tmoran80 I also believe strength training is important. The key is low weight/high reps to build strength. I usually do 3 x 10 where I can comfortably finish the set without straining but I am right on that edge. You are not trying to become Mr. Olympia 2015 haha. When I am lifting I also try to keep it under 30 minutes.

If you really want to build strength, you are going to want to do some high weight/low rep work.  To the extent ST is at all additive to your triathlon performance, it is also likely to come from this type of work.  (Note:  If you are doing weights just for 'variety' or 'overall health & fitness', then this advice can be disregarded.)

2015-01-30 12:03 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
get a kettle bell, i love that thing and i always walk aware with the feeling of an amazing workout.
2015-01-31 2:23 AM
in reply to: #5082776

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Joe Friel has written a lot about this for the serious older athlete. Per Friel, for us older athletes it is very important to strength train year round. Primarily this is because as we age we tend to lose muscle mass faster so the goal of it is to maintain it and by maintaining it we are able to maintain our aerobic capacity. (He also recommends high intensity workouts to maintain muscle mass. Both of which most aging athletes gradually drop as they age.)

The load needs to be heavy in order to build muscle, but it has to be periodized such that heavy loads are done gradually and in the early base periods only. After that only a single weekly lighter weight maintenance workout is necessary until the next season.

Reference:
http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2013/10/aging-muscle-strength-and-perf...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Thoughts on "strength" training during HIM training

Started by mcfly6667
Views: 2195 Posts: 13

2013-04-27 11:09 PM bcagle25

strength training

Started by davet2009
Views: 2185 Posts: 7

2011-12-30 10:08 AM Coldfire

Strength Training during IM training

Started by Runn234
Views: 1014 Posts: 1

2010-05-19 9:46 AM Runn234

Strength Training and IM training

Started by goobergirl98
Views: 1501 Posts: 5

2010-03-29 11:33 AM JorgeM

Strength Training

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 1955 Posts: 11

2004-09-29 9:27 AM Tiger Phil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2012
author : TINKARRA
comments : 0
Most of the races are flat here, but I live in the area where I could do hilly rides with 1500-2000m of climbing. Is there much benefit with that if I am racing flat?

date : July 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
Is strength training critical for a triathlete? How can strength training help an athlete improve performance? What are the downsides?
date : May 22, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 2
This article looks into the types of exercises triathletes need to be utilizing, and why traditional methods are of little use.

date : April 27, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 5
An insight into how to train strength and condition for triathlon and endurance sports success
date : July 8, 2008
author : sportfactory
Training and racing with your body type mostly means a more analytical approach to both. Here are a few ways you can tip the genetic scale.

date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.
date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trixie
Exactly what type of weight training does a triathlete need?