Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Show me your basement gym Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-01-13 3:44 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Show me your basement gym

I'm finally getting around to making the space in my unfinished basement a "gym". I've ordered the foam gym-floor tiles for the flooring and just purchased a treadmill. I'll put my bike trainer and other fitness items down there as well.

I'm specifically interested in color schemes for painting the walls. I'm not a fan of the bright green/orange/purple I see in a lot of home gyms, but I also don't want it to look like my living room. Currently the foundation/cement walls are painted a glossy white which I hate. Previous owner also painted over the exposed brick from the chimney foundation - I've thought about faux-painting those to look like actual bricks again but that's not a priority.

Any thoughts? What does your home gym look like?

2015-01-13 5:01 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Show me your basement gym
We are in the process of finishing our basement exercise room right now, so no pics yet. It is about 14' x 18' with about a 5' x 3' notch out of one corner. We went with roll-out rubber flooring (4 x 50' rolls). It is black with light specks in it to hide dirt, etc. better. Wall color was picked to be light and compliment the other basement colors. We are wall mounting our TV with a "floating" shelf underneath it for the cable box and dvd player. We will have a bench, dumbbell rack, medicine balls, spot for stretching/yoga area, treadmill, recumbent bike and my bike trainer in there. Small fridge for cold water and a small shelf unit for storing towels and other stuff. Will post pics when done in about 3 weeks we hope - excited!
2015-01-13 5:11 PM

User image

Elite

Must be cold where you are. With our cold wet weather this week, I wish I had a dedicated space this week too.  

My "gym" looks like an exercise bike in a corner of the bedroom, a bike and trainer on a matt in front of the TV in the family room, (This is when the bike is actually being used.  It has to be tucked away in a corner of the mud room when not in use.) and a pile of dumbbells in the corner of the erstwhile basement playroom.

I am looking forward to seeing your room.  Knowing you, I expect it will be very nice and I will be envious.

2015-01-13 6:04 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It's pretty basic as "gym" and "study" are combined in one room. On the exercise end, I have my tri bike on a trainer, which sits on top of a yoga mat. My road bike is also parked in there; would like to find a way to hang it up when not in use as it takes up too much floor space. I also have another yoga mat (for stretching, mainly) on the floor by the tri bike. I have some swim cords and a few free weights but i have "outgrown" the latter--they're too light and I've been lazy about getting heavier ones and carting them home (I don't have a car here). "Entertainment system" consists of a desktop computer on the desk facing the tri bike, where I can stream videos, and an MP 3 player in the bento box on my bike.

It's a three-bedroom apt. and the previous owner didn't like white walls, so had them painted navy blue (my gym/study, which was originally the master bedroom but I found too noisy as it faces two streets), robins's egg blue (now the guest bedroom) and turquoise (my bedroom). For the "gym" I've tried to keep to a red and blue color scheme with blue and beige curtains, a red beanbag chair, and some red and blue ethnic textiles on the wall. Exposed brick would be cool, though, if you have it. I basically live in a concrete box so options are limited.
2015-01-13 6:16 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro

On the wall from where the pic is taken is a 60 inch TV/dvr/dvd/stereo system. Sometimes it looks like this, sometimes it looks worse.  It gets a lot of use from everybody now that the kids are older and still working out so things get moved around to accommodate whoever is in there.

(cave.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
cave.jpg (136KB - 15 downloads)
2015-01-13 6:20 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
You are so lucky. I would love a room with all stuff needed. Paint it what you want. Dare I suggest Pinterest for ideas. One thing I would like is a solid post or wall stud to put eye hooks into so I could use resistance bands at various heights and angles to get a good resistance work out. Also good sound proofing so you can lock out the world and crank up the tunes, movie or whatever.

2015-01-13 7:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
I found a super bright yellow called "bicycle yellow" - how could I NOT pick that? Pretty lucky this sunroom off my kitchen, while heated is ALWAYS COLD - (this am it was 56 degrees) I'd also like to just say that if anyone is looking for equipment estate sales are the place to go. They aren't always old people who have passed - many times it's people moving - which is how I got that sweet weight set for $300 and the free weights with stand for $50 also 2 wall sized mirrors for $20 and $10

Edited by wwlani 2015-01-13 7:38 PM

(2013-07-23 15.34.31.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
2013-07-23 15.34.31.jpg (2024KB - 9 downloads)
2015-01-13 9:39 PM
in reply to: wwlani

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by wwlani

I found a super bright yellow called "bicycle yellow" - how could I NOT pick that? Pretty lucky this sunroom off my kitchen, while heated is ALWAYS COLD - (this am it was 56 degrees) I'd also like to just say that if anyone is looking for equipment estate sales are the place to go. They aren't always old people who have passed - many times it's people moving - which is how I got that sweet weight set for $300 and the free weights with stand for $50 also 2 wall sized mirrors for $20 and $10
Very Nice! one easy option to add would be crown molding on the top with rope light accent.
2015-01-14 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Gutted garage into gym...

(Will see if I can actually get the photos to upload)

Edited by ajfoster02 2015-01-14 9:23 AM

(IMG_0986.JPG)

(IMG_1078.JPG)

(IMG_1077.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0986.JPG (1937KB - 12 downloads)
IMG_1078.JPG (2227KB - 11 downloads)
IMG_1077.JPG (2262KB - 11 downloads)
2015-01-14 10:09 AM
in reply to: ajfoster02

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

That's a garage??? Impressive! 

I'm really torn on paint schemes, between the bright (like the bicycle yellow posted - so cheery!) and the gray just posted (so classy!). Knowing me I'll probably go with something more neutral but thank you everyone for the pics - interested in more if anyone else has them!

2015-01-14 11:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Lisa,

Where did you find the gym mats you ordered? I'm doing the same to our unfinished basement... I still want the basement look, but I want the concrete slab covered with something.

2015-01-14 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Great thread Lisa! I am finishing my basement too so also looking for ideas and pictures.

I hate to say it but there is a great thread on this with tons of pictures over on slowtwitch. just search pain cave, I think its 500 posts long! Some dude even put an indoor pool in his house to swim. A great idea I got from this section was framed posters of each IM the person did. I tried to find them at IMMT but it doesn't look like Ironman makes race specific posters anymore. Bummer because they looked real nice framed, a nice memento.

For me:

I have the basement all to myself as the wife never goes down there except to ride her bike on the trainer every now and again. We will be moving all the furniture to the back wall and re-arranging the TV to the other side so the majority of the room will be "open space" I plan on putting my bike and trainer in front of the TV (no mats yet) and next to that, weight bench, weights and a yoga mat. I want to create a shelf that has space for my I-pod docking station and laptop because sometime I bike intervals off of youtube while watching a football game on the TV.

Wall Color- we kept it neutral with a light beige and it works just fine. We will hang our medal hangers on one side of the TV and on the other we have some collages (spelling??) that my wife made of us at various races over the years, framed and hung. Side wall will be my IM finisher frame and my framed Police Unity Tour jersey. I had thought about putting a mini fridge down there but I don't think it will be necessary.

We also have our foam rollers, bike shoes, pumps, helmets, etc all in a small closet right off the room.
2015-01-14 1:10 PM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by m.a.burghart Lisa, Where did you find the gym mats you ordered? I'm doing the same to our unfinished basement... I still want the basement look, but I want the concrete slab covered with something.

I had some picked out from Home Depot but they were twice as much as these. These are thinner and thus less expensive - I got black but as you can see you can get a wide variety of colors if you want to do a themed room.

http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/interlocking-tile/foam/12-eco-soft-tile.html 

2015-01-14 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
You didn't go checkered!? haha, thanks!
2015-01-16 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

I love these threads to see what others have done with their spaces.  I don't have my pictures on me, but can post some when I get home.  I designed, built my Man-Cave in our basement.  It was a year-long endeavor because I did it myself mainly on the weekends, but I now consider it the nicest area of our house.  The workout area is carpet and the treadmill & trainer(s) are on rubber mats.  I also have a yoga mat for stretching, but the rest is all carpet.  Was going to install composite flooring (that looks like wood), but thought it would be too cold in a basement.  The carpet turned out to be the correct choice for us.  As far as colors, we have a neutral brown on the walls and decorated the walls with various framed prints and items from our races...an obvious workout theme.  We also have the token 52" flat panel screen on the wall with access to DVR, Netflix, and my Galaxy Note 3 (for Trainerroad).

After completion of this project, I am not sure I could have done things any better.  In fact oftentimes after a workout or spending any time in the space, I come upstairs and say to my wife, "I don't deserve something as nice as the Man-Cave", or "I have no reason not to stay in shape during the cold winters of Wisconsin".  I truly have a Man-Crush on my Man-Cave.

2015-01-16 9:00 AM
in reply to: sbsmann

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Mine is flat white, because it is in the basement and I wanted it to be bright, and the carpet is light colored mix thick foam backed that I glued down.  There is a bike trainer, then a treadmill, then a bike trainer and that fills up the one wall, except for room on the walls to get down my musical instruments that are hanging there.  All of them face the far wall, where there is a 50" TV which is hooked up to DVD/Blue Ray player or Direct TV and all of that is run through my home stereo, so you can listen at any level.  I also have a set of wireless headphones that are setup, if you want to wear head phones while riding or running.

We don't have any weights or kettle balls yet, but I think that is going to happen soon.  I may have to make a new music room as we keep adding working out things to what was a music only room.  No furniture, just equipment now.

2015-01-19 7:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
For the people who are looking for rubber gym flooring, you may want to check your local craigs list postings. I found multiple listings for 6' x 4' mats and found a guy selling new ones for $2 per square foot. Most advertise it as 1" thick, but they are truly 3/4" thick. I am definitely happy I went with these over the thinner rubber floors. It's also very easy to clean. I use one of those shark steam sweepers. I also mop it every couple months with a commercial sanitizer.
2015-01-20 2:20 AM

Lisa

I repainted mine this summer, I could not take another winter of white blcok walls. I wetn with a Home Depot Behr basment paint, Nordic Sky. ITs a softer blue that is easy on the eyes. I have had green, white and tan over the years and so far this is the best.

I added a Denon reciver, Samsung Blu-Ray, Apple TV, Def Tech speakers and Vizio 49" flat screen. I do not watch TV series so much as I prefer music concerts or Docu.

The floor mats are 4'x6' stall mats. I ahve had some of them down there for 20+ years. They take a beating and work fine. They have a smell for the first few weeks, a rubber smeel but that goes away. In my area they are $30-40 depending on sales.

I will try some pictures, but never have good luck uplaoding to this site.

Joe
2015-01-20 9:59 AM

User image

Pro

My living room gym. 

Weights and kettlebells are by the yoga mat in the lower right hand corner. Bike is now set up on a trainer next to the treadmill, which I haven't folded up in a while... 40" smart TV... which really needs a speaker or bluetooth headphones for use while on the treadmill. Walls are tan-ish with some orange in there, but I didn't really have a say in that

I really like the gray in ajfoster02's pictures

2015-01-20 10:26 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

My living room gym. 

Weights and kettlebells are by the yoga mat in the lower right hand corner. Bike is now set up on a trainer next to the treadmill, which I haven't folded up in a while... 40" smart TV... which really needs a speaker or bluetooth headphones for use while on the treadmill. Walls are tan-ish with some orange in there, but I didn't really have a say in that

At first I thought whatever that "garneau" apparatus is was an outboard motor that you must have made into an end table.  I wanted one.

2015-01-20 10:32 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

At first I thought whatever that "garneau" apparatus is was an outboard motor that you must have made into an end table.  I wanted one.

Ha! It's my recalled P-09 then I have yet to return... I should get on that.

2015-01-20 4:24 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

try this

(20150120_171117[1].jpg)

(20150120_171130[1].jpg)

(20150120_171223[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20150120_171117[1].jpg (3403KB - 13 downloads)
20150120_171130[1].jpg (2823KB - 13 downloads)
20150120_171223[1].jpg (2203KB - 11 downloads)
2015-01-20 4:36 PM

It's messy but the rubber mat area is 12'x 16' Then the bench in the foreground extends out pass. The hard drive on the wall is a WD blue and is just to show comparison of the paint. All the electronics are on a bench to the right of the picture. The hanger the hard drive is sitting is one of those stick to the wall hangers I picked up for a couple bucks. It works great to hang my HRM strap on afterwards and dry. I have can lights I am going to change out at some point

The mirrors I picked up on the side of the road and stuck to the wall. I was going to buy larger ones this year and make it even. That is why I did not paint the whole area. However I spent mirror money on a higher quality flat screen

now that I look at the pictures I am going to have to paint...Thanks Lisa!

Edited by Puppetmaster 2015-01-20 4:39 PM
2015-01-21 6:28 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

My living room gym. 

I thought the same thing!
2015-01-24 8:27 AM
in reply to: scottinPA

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
This is my basement gym. The walls are a light blue which I like and works well as a projector screen which can faintly be seen. I work out in the dark but the projector provides more than enough light.

(IMG_0078.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0078.JPG (523KB - 11 downloads)
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Show me your basement gym Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

basement trainer youtube and sound

Started by Puppetmaster
Views: 1741 Posts: 10

2014-11-29 4:13 PM Puppetmaster

Moisture in my basement

Started by triguynewbie
Views: 1197 Posts: 11

2011-09-09 8:01 AM Bmel

Great deals on tri apparel @ Sports Basement

Started by vmaldonado111
Views: 1360 Posts: 8

2011-08-11 9:50 AM TriAya

High dollar gym vs. low dollar gym Pages: 1 2

Started by AcesFull
Views: 2637 Posts: 34

2009-07-29 6:00 PM jeffy_101

Terrible shows you watched because your SO watched shows you watched because your SO watched

Started by graceful_dave
Views: 1585 Posts: 25

2008-12-19 9:01 AM hamiltks10
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 1, 2011
author : Competitor.com
comments : 0
Interviews from the January 22, 2011 EnduranceLive Consumer Show and Gala by Competitor.com

date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.
date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
comments : 0
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.