General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nice polarized PDF Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-15 12:06 AM

User image

Subject: Nice polarized PDF
So I was found this PDF when looking for running suggested workouts. Haven't found any yet so if you have any, feel free to post some
http://triathlon.kiwi/Polarized%20Training%20by%20Frankie%20Tan.pdf

If you're not too familiar with it, I suggest this video: http://www.canal-insep.fr/fr/training-periodization-deep-root-cultu...

From what I read, sweat spot and LT training seems to be almost pointless after you've spent years training but it still very good if you're on your first year or two or if you're not an all year trainer and rebuild fitness every season. I'd interested in it since I plateaued and am looking to get to that one step higher but there doesn't seem to be much info with respect to triathletes and how to train. The PDF says 1-3 high intensity sessions/week for "elites" training 10-13 sessions/week, which I am or will be after it warms up. I'm thinking I'll try one hard run and one hard bike and see how things go for a month. I know my biking has greatly improved the past month but no so much for my running. I already got to my peak FTP from when I was in shape from last year with only ~6 weeks of training with it. I know I was doing too many hard days for running and had a hard time even getting half my workout done with the end result no increase in speed at the end of the same period. I'm going to work on more easy miles with one ~45-60 min tempo run a week since it's still suggested to do a little LT training but not a lot.

I don't know why but this topic has me excited.

2015-01-15 8:03 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Nice polarized PDF

Originally posted by Blastman So I was found this PDF when looking for running suggested workouts. Haven't found any yet so if you have any, feel free to post some http://triathlon.kiwi/Polarized%20Training%20by%20Frankie%20Tan.pdfIf you're not too familiar with it, I suggest this video: http://www.canal-insep.fr/fr/training-periodization-deep-root-cultu... From what I read, sweat spot and LT training seems to be almost pointless after you've spent years training but it still very good if you're on your first year or two or if you're not an all year trainer and rebuild fitness every season. I'd interested in it since I plateaued and am looking to get to that one step higher but there doesn't seem to be much info with respect to triathletes and how to train. The PDF says 1-3 high intensity sessions/week for "elites" training 10-13 sessions/week, which I am or will be after it warms up. I'm thinking I'll try one hard run and one hard bike and see how things go for a month. I know my biking has greatly improved the past month but no so much for my running. I already got to my peak FTP from when I was in shape from last year with only ~6 weeks of training with it. I know I was doing too many hard days for running and had a hard time even getting half my workout done with the end result no increase in speed at the end of the same period. I'm going to work on more easy miles with one ~45-60 min tempo run a week since it's still suggested to do a little LT training but not a lot. I don't know why but this topic has me excited.

There is a lot I want to say about this, but I'll just start with the last sentences.

a 45-60 minute tempo run would be close to an all out effort.

2015-01-15 8:31 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by Blastman So I was found this PDF when looking for running suggested workouts. Haven't found any yet so if you have any, feel free to post some http://triathlon.kiwi/Polarized%20Training%20by%20Frankie%20Tan.pdfIf you're not too familiar with it, I suggest this video: http://www.canal-insep.fr/fr/training-periodization-deep-root-cultu... From what I read, sweat spot and LT training seems to be almost pointless after you've spent years training but it still very good if you're on your first year or two or if you're not an all year trainer and rebuild fitness every season. I'd interested in it since I plateaued and am looking to get to that one step higher but there doesn't seem to be much info with respect to triathletes and how to train. The PDF says 1-3 high intensity sessions/week for "elites" training 10-13 sessions/week, which I am or will be after it warms up. I'm thinking I'll try one hard run and one hard bike and see how things go for a month. I know my biking has greatly improved the past month but no so much for my running. I already got to my peak FTP from when I was in shape from last year with only ~6 weeks of training with it. I know I was doing too many hard days for running and had a hard time even getting half my workout done with the end result no increase in speed at the end of the same period. I'm going to work on more easy miles with one ~45-60 min tempo run a week since it's still suggested to do a little LT training but not a lot. I don't know why but this topic has me excited.

There is a lot I want to say about this, but I'll just start with the last sentences.

a 45-60 minute tempo run would be close to an all out effort.

Haven't read this particular article yet, but also not sure about the workout being really "polarized". That "tempo" would have to be a 10-15k race for the OP.

2015-01-15 8:44 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

A few thoughts:

Just because you train 10-13 sessions per week, that does not necessarily mean you are "elite".

LT training is hardly ever "pointless".

I am going to assume "tempo = z3 (in a 5 zone scale)" for you.  Otherwise, that's a really hard weekly run.

It may be you know all this and it's just in your 'excitement' that it came out this way.  But listening just to what you wrote, I'm tempted to advise you to do some more reading before looking for suiggested workouts.  Make sure you have the principles of your overall training program lined up before you pick individual pieces to work on.

2015-01-15 10:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I finally have decided on what my polarized training workouts are going to look like.  One hard workout per discipline per week.

M: Easy swim, easy run

T: Hard run, easy bike

W: Hard swim, easy bike

Th: Hard bike, easy run

F: Easy swim, easy long run

Sat: Easy long swim, easy bike

Sun: Long bike

My hard swim will consist of 50 or 100m sets at suicide pace.  I'm concentrating on the HIM distance so I won't swim more than 2000 meters/yards in training.  So the hard swim workout might look like 500m of some sort of warm up and then 15x100 or 30x50.

My hard bike will consist of doing 4x8' intervals at 110% FTP.  I will start at 4x4' for 2-3 weeks, then 4x6' for 2-3 weeks before settling into the 4x8'.  3-4' between intervals.  Haven't worked out in almost six months so a 4x8' might literally kill me right now.

My hard run will consist of alternating 1 mile intervals.  Let's say it's an 8 mile run it will be 4x1 mile easy, and 4x1 mile hard.  Something like 9:30/mile easy pace, 6:30/mile hard pace (once I'm in proper shape).

Like Johnny said, Sweet Spot/Mid-zone stuff isn't pointless but it might not be the best way to train for many... which often (but not always) correlates to experience.

Is that 45-60' "tempo" run your "hard" run you're talking about?  If it's done at tempo (Z3 on a Z5 scale) it's not hard enough.  If it's done hard (Z4/Z5) it's probably going to be too hard.  Running 45-60' at high intensity would be an absolute killer.

Have you ever tested your Vdot?  Reading your past posts on this topic leads me to believe you don't have an exact grasp on your true running ability and pacing.  Don't take that the wrong way... just an observation based on what I've read.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2015-01-15 10:19 AM
2015-01-15 11:42 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Is that 45-60' "tempo" run your "hard" run you're talking about?  If it's done at tempo (Z3 on a Z5 scale) it's not hard enough.  If it's done hard (Z4/Z5) it's probably going to be too hard.  Running 45-60' at high intensity would be an absolute killer.

Have you ever tested your Vdot?  Reading your past posts on this topic leads me to believe you don't have an exact grasp on your true running ability and pacing.  Don't take that the wrong way... just an observation based on what I've read.

This is what I've seen too, and across multiple threads now. An exclamation of "polarized" and then what seems like random hard workouts. No much explanation (or any at all) on how the decision was mad to do that duration and/or intensity.

2015-01-23 7:27 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Blastman

So I was found this PDF when looking for running suggested workouts. Haven't found any yet so if you have any, feel free to post some
http://triathlon.kiwi/Polarized%20Training%20by%20Frankie%20Tan.pdf

First off, none of this is new...sports scientists are routinely deconstructing what teams, coaches and athletes are currently doing to seek improved performances.

An individual (or team's) success will depend largely on their background and prior training. It's fairly well proven that in order for well trained endurance athletes to continue improving, more high intensity needs to be incorporated.

However there are other groups of high trained athletes that plateau with polarized training and need a different stimulus.

All of these periodization schemes will go in and out of popularity as the next "new" study or presentation gets critical momentum and makes its way around the internets.

having said that, the PDF you linked to looks like a great review of the current literature and I fully endorse following up and READING those studies for yourself rather than just jumping on the bandwagon.
2015-01-23 7:49 AM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands

My hard run will consist of alternating 1 mile intervals.  Let's say it's an 8 mile run it will be 4x1 mile easy, and 4x1 mile hard.  Something like 9:30/mile easy pace, 6:30/mile hard pace (once I'm in proper shape

Hey GMAN I was wondering what your rationale is behin this kind of workout. You reference VDOT so I assume you are using Jack Daniels' training? It looks like a VO2max workout but JD recommends the max of the rep to be 5 minutes which means you either have to run faster, or more likely, do a shorter distance repeat. Also, those 4 miles at VO2max are to be a max of 8% of weekly volume so you'd have to be at 50 miles running a week to support this. This is not a criticism of your workout, just wondering about your training details as I'm currently reading JD's book and looking into structuring my run workouts according to his ideas.
2015-01-23 8:21 AM
in reply to: Snaaijer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Not really using JD training but I think the Vdot is an effective tool so that you can, at the very least, have some realistic grasp on one's pacing.  It was in regards to the OP... who I suspect doesn't have a good idea of his realistic running ability as it appears he runs too hard in training.  I (and others) think he trains at a pay grade or two above his actual ability.  Like he's a Vdot 45 but trains like he's a Vdot 50.

I'm not sure you can really make an apples to apples comparison between the JD training model and polarized training but I'm willing to listen.

2015-01-23 9:13 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

I finally have decided on what my polarized training workouts are going to look like.  One hard workout per discipline per week.

M: Easy swim, easy run

T: Hard run, easy bike

W: Hard swim, easy bike

Th: Hard bike, easy run

F: Easy swim, easy long run

Sat: Easy long swim, easy bike

Sun: Long bike

My hard swim will consist of 50 or 100m sets at suicide pace.  I'm concentrating on the HIM distance so I won't swim more than 2000 meters/yards in training.  So the hard swim workout might look like 500m of some sort of warm up and then 15x100 or 30x50.

My hard bike will consist of doing 4x8' intervals at 110% FTP.  I will start at 4x4' for 2-3 weeks, then 4x6' for 2-3 weeks before settling into the 4x8'.  3-4' between intervals.  Haven't worked out in almost six months so a 4x8' might literally kill me right now.

My hard run will consist of alternating 1 mile intervals.  Let's say it's an 8 mile run it will be 4x1 mile easy, and 4x1 mile hard.  Something like 9:30/mile easy pace, 6:30/mile hard pace (once I'm in proper shape).

Like Johnny said, Sweet Spot/Mid-zone stuff isn't pointless but it might not be the best way to train for many... which often (but not always) correlates to experience.

If you are trying to get more higher intensity and away from threshold then I also think you'd benefit from doing shorter intervals with more rest at a slightly higher intensity.

e.g 4 x 8' bike efforts ARE higher than threshold...but they are lower than Vo2 max. Elite athlete at the top end if the fitness curve can hold their VO2 max for 8 minutes but most are in the 5-6 min range. Veronica Billat has done a ton of study on this and identified a range of 3-8 minutes at which athletes can hold the velocity that elicits Vo2 max.

In addition she's done some studies that doing Vo2 intensity itnervals at 50% of the tmax elicits greater improvements in Vo2 max than 100% tmax intervals.

in otherwords, let's say your 6:30min/mi = your max mile effort and let's just assume that it's also your vo2 max (and therefore can hold Vo2 max for 6:30). Billat's research would suggest that you'd have much better results and raising Vo2 max by doing 3:15/800 repeats with rest in between rather than "mile repeats".

For the bike the same holds. a 4x 8' workout is more like a "suprathreshold" than a "vo2 max" workout. I do believe that 4 x 8' is a GREAT way to make TT improvements (it's my secret weapon of choice for many of my triathletes...including a state champion TTer)... but if your goal is to hit Vo2 max then they are probabaly too long.

Not a criticism at all, I'm just seeing disparities in what you describe you want vs what I interpret the workouts to be.
2015-01-23 9:27 AM

Master
Northern IL

JD general training plans (the various color plans) and builds for 15k on down seem to be rather polarized as everything is either easy or right at threshold and up. Not just in a Z4 as we know it elsewhere, but right about threshold pacing. The marathon training includes marathon pacing fairly regularly, so that doesn't really fit in. His half marathon training depends on how fast someone is. Faster goes with the shorter races while slower more with the marathon methodology.

There may be a little fudging with the threshold runs as he does allow people to run just *slightly* slower for longer 30-40 min t-pace runs. Still rather close to threshold, just not technically right at it, so would depend on how particular one wants to be about that upper point.

2015-01-23 4:07 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by AdventureBear

If you are trying to get more higher intensity and away from threshold then I also think you'd benefit from doing shorter intervals with more rest at a slightly higher intensity.

e.g 4 x 8' bike efforts ARE higher than threshold...but they are lower than Vo2 max. Elite athlete at the top end if the fitness curve can hold their VO2 max for 8 minutes but most are in the 5-6 min range. Veronica Billat has done a ton of study on this and identified a range of 3-8 minutes at which athletes can hold the velocity that elicits Vo2 max.

For the bike the same holds. a 4x 8' workout is more like a "suprathreshold" than a "vo2 max" workout. I do believe that 4 x 8' is a GREAT way to make TT improvements (it's my secret weapon of choice for many of my triathletes...including a state champion TTer)... but if your goal is to hit Vo2 max then they are probabaly too long.

Dr.,

I must have missed it, but could you detail what 'level' of effort these 4x8 cycle intervals are best done at? Percentage of LTHR / FTP, please..

Thanks, as always
2015-01-23 5:05 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

Master
Northern IL

A few percent over FTP. So rather close to where I've seen Z4 & Z5 defined at. Could be a little over or under depending on how well someone does at it.

2015-01-25 12:01 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by triosaurus

Dr.,

I must have missed it, but could you detail what 'level' of effort these 4x8 cycle intervals are best done at? Percentage of LTHR / FTP, please..

Thanks, as always

I think the OP of that set in this thread specified 105-110% of FTP (you could scroll back adn look) which is fine for a start, but I ilke to have athletes do this weekly for 4-6 or more weeks with the end goal being maximum sustainable output across all 4 efforts. Then for fun, if they have a traiing partner that's about the same ability, I have them trade 30sec pulls for each 8' effort which gives a really awesome over/under sort of Vo2 max type workout.

THere was a study last year that looked at the 4x8' all out effort and it's effects on time trial performance it the outcome was excellent I don't have the reference currently, but there's not only anecdotal evidence that it works, there is an actual study for this particular one.
2015-01-25 12:14 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Extreme Veteran
THere was a study last year that looked at the 4x8' all out effort and it's effects on time trial performance it the outcome was excellent I don't have the reference currently, but there's not only anecdotal evidence that it works, there is an actual study for this particular one.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21812820
2015-01-25 12:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

My "fun" workout is this one: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/658991819

I created it to mimic the hard V02Max one talked about and also add in some FTP stuff to help with endurance. Sounds and looks very hard (and it is) but I added a lot of Z2 in there between the hard sets to help with recovery. Here's what I did:

13 min warm up
4x8min @ 115% FTP with 4 min RI (50% FTP)
30 min Z2
10 min @ FTP to get the used used to working again
5 min RI @ 50%
20min @ FTP
5 min RI
30 min Z2
grand finale: 5 mins @ 115%, 4 min RI
10 min CD

3 hours total and about 240 TSS.

When I did this, my FTP was 253 and now it's about 270, which is my peak FTP from last year and it's only January. I had plans to do this again today but a cold took me out. Mad but I guess getting sick on a rest week isn't too bad. The main thing I'm taking away from this type of work out is that my "recovery intervals" were really mid to high Z2 before, on my bike, and thus my intervals suffered since I got worst and worst. It's more important that my intervals are done completely and all of them are done instead of my RI having a higher power than it needs to be.

Edited by Blastman 2015-01-25 1:02 PM

2015-01-25 2:54 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by marcag

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21812820

Looks like the one, thanks.
2015-01-25 3:45 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

Thanks Dr and marcag

Just curious ... here is a Q for the ex physiologists - Would 8 x 4 have the same results ?? The abstract linked states "32 min ...."

2015-01-25 4:00 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
That study tested these itnervals:
4 × 4 min, 4 × 8 min, or 4 × 16 min

each was done at decreasing intensities (isntructions were all out, but HR was measured)

my guess is that if you did a 4x4 "all out" the avg intensity level would be between the 4 x 4 and the 4 x 8 min efforts. Would it have a better or worse result than the 4x4 & 4x8? Well...mabye you could find an eager grad student and propose a study of 32 min workbouts:

1 x 32
2 x 16
4 x 8
8 x 4
16 x 2
32 x 1

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nice polarized PDF Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lets talk about polarized training for IM

Started by Blastman
Views: 1949 Posts: 13