General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What should I eat during an ultra? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-15 1:23 PM

Subject: What should I eat during an ultra?

Published few days ago http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/7/1/209

How on earth do I eat 12,000kcal????

2015-01-15 10:33 PM
in reply to: mya51

User image

Subject: RE: What should I eat during an ultra?
One bite at a time ??
2015-01-16 7:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: What should I eat during an ultra?
I don't do ultras but have done a HIM, plenty of marathons, and some DIY runs over marathon distance...... It's my understanding that you DON'T eat 12,000 calories or whatever, at least during the event and probably on the day of the event. Basically you learn in training how to continue to race effectively while running a caloric deficit, because no one's digestive system could actually handle taking in as many calories as would be needed for a long event. Then you put it back in over a couple of days of good eating.

In my case, with a HIM, I took in about 600-700 calories total on the bike/run, very much on the low side even for my size (about 115 pounds) but I didn't "bonk" and had a very strong finish. I recall not feeling hungry for a few hours after, then having a fairly normal lunch (sandwich, some chips as I was craving salt after a warm race, fruit). Dinner was also fairly normal size--pasta, salad, bread. I think we went out for Frappucinos later. Surely didn't put back all the thousands of calories I'd burned but I think I did a pretty good job the next day--woke up hungry and just kept eating. I still remember what I ate as it was just amazing how much I put into myself in one day where the only exertion consisted of driving about six hours, and how hungry I was!

*Breakfast at hotel--oatmeal, fruit, scrambled eggs, couple of bagels with PB and J
*Snacking on trail mix while driving. i thnk I ate a half pound bag of it over the course of the day.
*Stop for another breakfast late morning as I was just too hungry to continue. Giant omelette with avocados, salsa, sour cream, big side of home fried potatoes, giant biscuit.
*Stop for lunch. Veggie burger, fries, some kind of shake.
*Fruit shake later--we stopped at an outlet mall about two hours from home and already hungry again
*Half of a large veggie pizza.

I recall still being a bit hungrier than normal the following day but after that pretty much back to normal. I'm sure I managed to put the calories back! It would be interesting whether the size of the caloric deficit affects one's recovery after a long event.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-01-16 7:39 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What should I eat during an ultra? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Paleo diet, what do you eat during workouts?

Started by elliot.power
Views: 3299 Posts: 20

2014-11-21 3:21 PM Jcdyess

nutrition? what to eat before, during workouts.

Started by respro
Views: 1150 Posts: 2

2013-07-08 8:10 PM riltri

An Ultra Endurance Camping Nutrition Challenge

Started by Renee
Views: 1902 Posts: 11

2009-09-10 10:40 PM Slugger

What to drink/eat during a Half Iron Man

Started by JackieSBR
Views: 4237 Posts: 7

2015-01-23 4:34 PM cxk9758

How often should I eat/drink on the bike during my HIM?

Started by mammatri's
Views: 2040 Posts: 5

2009-03-28 5:54 PM ChineseDemocracy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Performance starts with fueling, not training! This article provides nutrition tips for ultra-endurance athletes as well as ordinary exercisers who want ultra-energy.

date : October 6, 2010
comments : 0
The same athletes who worry about event-day fueling often neglect their day to day training diet. The question this article answers is, “What should I eat before, during and after I train?”
date : June 25, 2010
comments : 4
Ever wonder what’s best to eat during long runs, bike rides or other exercise that lasts more than 60 to 90 minutes?

date : April 1, 2008
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.
date : February 7, 2008
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.