General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » PA Newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-16 1:22 AM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Subject: PA Newbie
Howdy all! Sorry I type a lot...

After years of saying that I was going to do it, I'm kicking in the training for my first race this year - the Steelman tri this August. I've never competed in a tri, bike race or swim (only runs). I'm a solid Clydes at the moment and should still be by race day, though I'll be a lot closer to the cutoff. This race isn't for time, it's to prove I can do it, though I want to have a respectable first time for a 45 yo. My motivations are: accomplishing something cool like a tri; keeping fit; looking for the next thing to do since I tend to get lazy without a goal. Other than posting to say hi to everyone, I guess I'm looking to see if I'm out of my mind or if I'm doing the right things. Right off the bat, I plan to do the sprint, but I'll admit that I'm considering olympic.

I know you have training plans on the site, I'll have to see if I can find one that is flexible enough. Having 3 kids in lots of activities tends to make my schedule a little crazy. That's why my runs in the past have been more about personal bests than trying to get killer times. I don't have the time to train like that and I don't want to hurt myself.

I don't think I'm ready to hop into any training plans just yet, I'm focusing on just ramping up each event so that I'm ready when it becomes time to try to follow a plan as best I can. The reason I'm not training for the tri just yet is that I'm already training for a half marathon at the end of April (St. Luke's).

Once I complete the half, I plan to take my recovery time and then begin the training plan for the tri.

Swimming doesn't feel like it is interfering with my half training at all, so I plan to keep that up and keep trying to improve. When practicing I tend to do an 800 - take a break - then the second 800. I'm at 25 minutes for 800 at the moment, mostly resting stroke (breast) but I'm peppering in more freestyle as I train more. I could also do the 1600 at 50 mins since my break isn't mandatory, but it is nice because it resets my brain since counting laps is so boring. I am touching the wall, but not pushing off. To me I will be ready to begin the training plan when it's time...do you agree?

My running plan is to just do whatever the plan says, both the Olympic or Sprint targets should be easy enough given I trained for 13.1

The bike ride is a concern. I'll try to get out on it somewhat before my half just to wake up my muscles, but once tri training starts I think I'll need to focus more on getting ready for the bike and just maintain the other two events. Does that make sense? Is 3 months enough time?

So can this be done or am I biting off more than I can chew?
Should I train for the olympic or be satisified as a first timer going for the sprint?
I will try to do some dry runs on indoor equipment. My YMCA also has a June sprint tri for beginners so I think I may partake.

Thanks for the advice....wish me luck!

2015-01-16 4:15 AM
in reply to: snewod

Subject: RE: PA Newbie
If you believe you can do it, and you set you mind to it, I see no reason as to why you cannot succeed. That's my motto anyway

Hope that helps
2015-01-16 2:57 PM

User image

Three months should be enough time.  I would go with the sprint for your first race.  You could most certainly finish the olympic but since you only have 3 months to get ready for swim/bike I'd stay with sprint.  Good luck

2015-01-19 3:24 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Welcome, fellow Pennsylvanian!  I think you will be OK doing Steelman Olympic distance in August, but doing the YMCA sprint earlier in the season will get you familiarized with what to do on race day and help you prepare for the longer race.  I'm racing St. Luke's, too, see you there and happy training!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » PA Newbie Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Another Harrisburg, PA Newbie

Started by nxm165
Views: 873 Posts: 6

2007-11-19 6:23 PM zipp1

newbie in PA

Started by gojonny
Views: 621 Posts: 3

2007-09-13 6:07 PM BrianO

Newbie in PA

Started by whitestonev7
Views: 876 Posts: 7

2006-11-10 6:15 AM whitestonev7

PA Newbie Impressed With Site

Started by marcusgrimm
Views: 577 Posts: 4

2006-07-28 10:40 AM ROBIT79

Newbie from PA

Started by egent
Views: 970 Posts: 6

2005-01-19 6:42 PM dontracy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!