General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot warmers for winter cycling? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-16 12:42 PM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member
Subject: foot warmers for winter cycling?

I have done a few winter rides this year, and have gotten to a point that I'm pretty comfortable except for my feet.  My feet get soooo cold, and then take hours to warm up.  I've tried ski socks and shoe covers, but neither really seems to help much.  One thing that I have not heard of anyone using for winter rides are those foot warmers that get warm once you take them out of the package, and you stick them on your socks.  I use these for skiing, and am wondering if there is a reason I haven't seen or heard of people using them for biking?  Is this something that could help keep my feet warm for winter riding?  Is there anything else that I could try?  It's looking like it's going to be around 25 degrees for my ride tomorrow, so I'm looking for anything that might help!

2015-01-16 1:06 PM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: foot warmers for winter cycling?
Sure. People get bigger shoe covers and either double up, or put a chemical hand warmer between the shoe and the big shoe cover.
2015-01-16 1:09 PM

User image

I have found that electrical tape over the vents, then put shoe covers on but leave the socks off is warmer for me than trying to wear thick wool socks.

2015-01-16 1:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I agree with Daniel. Well kind of because I haven't tested no socks, but for me my thin wool socks are warmer than thicker socks. Thicker socks cut off your circulation which just make your feet colder. I have been known to wear thin wool socks, then cycling shoes then booties that are like socks, you can even use some old socks if they fit over your shoes, then real winter booties. Usually I skip the smaller booties though.

Around here it rains a lot which makes your feet wet and colder. If you have a front fender, it will keep you feet drier and warmer.

ETA: Or you could use the foot warmers. A couple of weeks ago, I rode in -10C. I used hand warmers. With my wool socks and winter booties, I was fine without feet warmers.

Edited by jeng 2015-01-16 1:21 PM
2015-01-16 5:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
You need to make sure that your winter cycling shoes are not too tight or the extra socks and hand warmers just reduce circulation, which is counter productive. I bought a real pair of winter cycling boots a couple years back (two euro sizes bigger than I wear barefoot), before that I just wore old but slightly large cycling shoes with toe covers. In either case I wear thin socks, then wool socks, then the shoes, and if it is real cold a hand warmer under the arch of my foot (get the warmers with a sticky side stuck to your sock so they don't slide around. That keeps my feet happy down to around zero F.

Edit: the above isn't probably much help for tomorrow...I'd give the handwarmers a try, you can always pull them out if they are uncomfortable. Keep the shoes loose with as much sock as you can but still keeping your feet loose in the shoe. Booties will help a lot (that electrical tape suggestion should work wonders if your shoes are ventilated).

Edited by mikec123 2015-01-16 5:19 PM
2015-01-17 6:53 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I bet you could use something like Hotronic heating membrane for cycling shoes as well... It should be thin enough. They're not cheap though...

Personally, I use nothing but thin socks and neoprene shoe covers when it get's really cold. Make sure you feet and dry before you start and add a small amount of lotion to your feet before putting the socks on, then add a small amount of baby powder to your shoes to keep them dry.

2015-01-17 8:03 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
we have six feet of snow where i am living right now.. We don't worry about socks because we can't ride in the winter... Very jealous!!

2015-01-18 1:55 PM
in reply to: zombie2212

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!  I ditched the ski socks, duct taped the shoes, added foot warmers and toe covers.  It was 22 degrees at ride start and I was fine for the first hour.  I started getting cold during the next hour and the last 5 or so miles were miserable.  I think if I keep riding outdoors in winter, I'm going to invest in some better booties.

2015-01-20 11:09 AM

User image

DC
Originally posted by jenstewey

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!  I ditched the ski socks, duct taped the shoes, added foot warmers and toe covers.  It was 22 degrees at ride start and I was fine for the first hour.  I started getting cold during the next hour and the last 5 or so miles were miserable.  I think if I keep riding outdoors in winter, I'm going to invest in some better booties.

Don't know if this is obvious enough but: Keeping your core warm is super important as it "delivers" the heat to your extremities. At 20 some degrees, I too go for THIN wool socks, keep my shoes a little loose, toe cover & then neoprene cover. Core: Base layer lycra, Under Amor cold temp top, & wind proof wool coat (Perl Izumi makes great ones).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot warmers for winter cycling? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fleece Ear Warmers for winter biking

Started by DanielG
Views: 1130 Posts: 3

2012-11-09 9:43 PM jeetkevdo

Winter Running: Care for your feet!!

Started by stevestenzel
Views: 1067 Posts: 6

2009-12-15 8:47 AM stevestenzel

Racing in warmer climate=train in warmer clothes?

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1298 Posts: 10

2009-10-03 1:06 AM SWIM2LIVE

Do Cycling Toe Warmers work? Pages: 1 2

Started by ninecrushes
Views: 3035 Posts: 31

2008-01-15 3:51 PM indygreg

Arm warmers and Leg Warmers

Started by cbost2678
Views: 1402 Posts: 17

2006-11-06 9:53 PM EnduranceMatt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : May 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
Several strategies for coping with or preventing numb toes and feet
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : February 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.