General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim coach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-16 7:09 PM

Subject: Swim coach
New to tris. I grew up on the coast and can swim but I'm not the most efficient swimmer. I need some basic coaching to begin with and then move on to some advanced skills.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Trey

2015-01-24 8:21 AM
in reply to: #5084295

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Swim coach
I took some lessons from Heidi Smith -

http://www.trifind.com/Coaches/TriathlonCoachDetails.aspx?id=434

She's been doing analysis for a long time and I'm convinced she can help almost anyone. Another suggestion is to contact the folks at Dynamo Swim - there used to be a lot of folks on BT doing masters swim there.
2015-01-26 8:29 AM
in reply to: jagerbombster

User image

Master
Winder, GA
It would be helpful if you told us the area of town where you live or work. Our recommendation for someone in N. Fulton is going to be different than someone in Peachtree City.

I would possibly look in to private lessons with an instructor and let them know your goals. They can analyze and help you from there.

Your other option is going to a master's workout group and talk to the coach. A lot of programs cater to beginners/triathletes but that is where you should talk to someone ahead of time so you're not discouraged because the group you join is one that can hold a much faster pace. (nobody likes to be last)
2015-01-29 7:13 PM
in reply to: autigers_1998

I live out near Covington. I work mostly inside the perimeter. I do service work so I'm not in the same place all the time. Atlanta area would be best for me.

I'd love to do a few private lessons, just locating a coach has been the problem. I've contacted a few that I've found on the web and with the exception of one I haven't received a response. Unfortunately the one that did respond is booked solid for the next few months.

Thanks for the responses.
2015-02-10 6:23 AM
in reply to: jagerbombster

User image

Master
Winder, GA
ITP I can think of several Master's programs that you could check out. One group at Marist (I think), Dekalb Aquatics, Dynamo, Swim Atlanta. Check out www.usms.org, and look under local programs for the full list. (and tons of other useful information)

This could be a first option until you can get private lessons. If you can do freestyle then you can join Master's and adjust as necessary.
2015-02-14 10:03 PM
in reply to: autigers_1998

Originally posted by autigers_1998

ITP I can think of several Master's programs that you could check out. One group at Marist (I think), Dekalb Aquatics, Dynamo, Swim Atlanta. Check out www.usms.org, and look under local programs for the full list. (and tons of other useful information)

This could be a first option until you can get private lessons. If you can do freestyle then you can join Master's and adjust as necessary.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

I can freestyle just not too graceful.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim coach Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Affordable swim coach/classes and places to swim in the winter months

Started by tripanda
Views: 1256 Posts: 5

2010-11-03 7:59 AM tripanda

Swim coaches in South ATL

Started by Hacksaw
Views: 771 Posts: 3

2008-12-01 6:25 PM Hacksaw

Swim coaching

Started by mshore01
Views: 1646 Posts: 20

2008-08-29 7:52 AM Anditrigirl

swim coach on the north end of town

Started by jonathan22
Views: 841 Posts: 3

2007-02-16 9:23 AM alltom1

Swim coaches???

Started by triat180
Views: 817 Posts: 5

2007-01-05 11:11 PM milaminute
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.
date : April 2, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.

date : July 17, 2005
I highly recommend hiring a coach, if you are a beginner or just looking to become a better swimmer.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.
date : August 31, 2004
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.

date : August 31, 2004
Interval training is used to describe the system of multiple repeat swims used in most swim training programs. The best way to improve aerobic endurance is through short rest periods.