General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-17 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Subject: First Ironman
This post is long overdue!

In Dec 2013 I completed my first IM (Cozumel), and it was not without the help and support of so many people here at BT. I've been busy with other life stuff since then - still training but not racing - and I'm finally ready to compete again.

I just want to say the people of BT are AWESOME!! You have given my training and racing an added dimension and I hope I can return the favor.

My first IM did not go according to plan - in fact, the complete opposite - but an amazing experience, and one I plan to repeat this year at IM Florida (hopefully without the puking and delirium!)

Below is a link to the movie/documentary I made about the experience, and if there is one recommendation I can make to those of you doing your first anything...record it!! There are so many beautiful memories of racing that we forget over time, and instead we focus on the numbers. That race, for me, was more about the entire process than the time the clock was ticking, and I'm afraid I would have forgotten so much of it without my video.

Thank you, thank you, thank you friends at BT!

If interested here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0ibV-7Y3J4&feature=em-upload_owner

2015-01-17 9:05 AM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: First Ironman

I am going to watch this a little later today--thank you for sharing!  I am just starting to train for my first IM, can't wait to watch your journey and get some ideas of some things I should record!

2015-01-17 11:23 AM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm not much of a youtube poster, so I hope the link and the video actually work, but if not, just trust me that it's worth it in the end to lug the video camera around with you before, during the expo and pre race stuff, and after your race!!
2015-01-17 12:56 PM

User image

Elite

Awww...you and your hubby are so cute!  My husband will be along for mine but as sherpa/photographer/kid entertainer!  The video was great--gave me some great ideas of what to video during this journey.  I can totally relate to the Road to Nowhere--all those hours on the trainer and treadmill.  Congratulations on what must have been a tough day with the winds.  Thanks again for posting this!  Got me both excited and a little scared! Ha!  Oh, by the way, I'll be rocking a Betty kit as well!

2015-01-17 3:25 PM

User image

I loved the video! What an experience! I'm training for my first full (Chattanooga) and need to remember to take pics/video along the way. Was your puking/delirium during the race, or after? That's a big fear of mine!
2015-01-17 4:06 PM
in reply to: mtnbrooke7

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Great Video!

2015-01-17 7:41 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Took a look just before my trainer ride to "nowhere" this morning! Awesome video!
2015-01-17 7:59 PM
in reply to: mtnbrooke7

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
My puking was throughout the run. The nausea started halfway through the bike, and I believe it was because of the gallon of salt water I ingested during the swim, combined with my ride nutrition, which should have been water instead of Gatorade for the first hour or so.

One very important lesson I learned from the Ironman, which has taken over a year for me to work out, is that you can't blame the weather/conditions for a poor performance. I left that race thinking my horrible state during the second half of the race was attributable to the currents/waves, rains, heat, etc. But that just an ironman. There is no such thing as ideal racing conditions during an ironman, and that's just part of the experience. You have to be ready for everything. Sometimes just having a plan b isn't enough...sometimes you need a plan c, and plan d. For example, I was ready for a flat tire, but I wasn't ready for the second flat tire I got; I had prepared my nutrition over and over on the bike, but I didn't take into account that I would swallow so much salt water and that my high electrolyte nutrition on the bike, combined with the salt from the water would cause such bad nausea.

But that's just part of the race. Be prepared for everything!!

Even with those problems, though, it was such an amazing experience and I wouldn't change a thing. I tend to have to make my own mistakes to learn lessons, so I think it was a pretty impressive learning experience for me!
2015-01-17 10:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh hi Kim! :p
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene 2013 Race Report (first Ironman!)

Started by GatorDeb
Views: 4562 Posts: 24

2013-06-29 7:04 PM GatorDeb

First Ironman? - Coeur d'Alene or new Ironman Texas

Started by 3Aims
Views: 2877 Posts: 20

2010-08-16 11:06 PM Shermbelle

Ironman France for first ironman??

Started by fglynn
Views: 1353 Posts: 7

2011-05-07 8:29 PM Khyron

First Ironman

Started by suffer78
Views: 931 Posts: 9

2005-07-07 10:00 PM bsjracing

18 Weeks To Your First Ironman

Started by trilover
Views: 997 Posts: 3

2004-12-28 9:55 AM trilover
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 11, 2014
author : Tinamarie
comments : 5
Mother Nature continued to sing loud here in Cozumel, reminding us who was boss. This morning was no different, the wind howled in our ears, stung our eyes and the ocean slapped the shore with vigor.

date : November 19, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I recently registered for Ironman Florida. My ambition and dream was to take part in an Ironman. Does this schedule set me up for burnout, or should I just build the distances in 2013 very gradually?
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : December 12, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Listen in as to how Peter overcame his shoulder injury in the middle of training for his first Ironman and how he had to modify that training.
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : May 20, 2008
author : mikericci
I just finished my first Ironman - New Zealand, sub 12 hours. I am looking to improve my performance through training but wondering what equipment would help me towards a better performance?

date : April 3, 2005
author : dara
Planing a successful nutrition strategy of fueling for your first Ironman triathlon.