General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GPS watch that can be worn as regular watch on small female? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-17 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: GPS watch that can be worn as regular watch on small female?
My husband's 305 finally died. I'm thinking of giving him my 910xt and getting a watch that actually fits me. I only use time distance and pace (although would like to use for run and bike no need for swim).
Any suggestions? I'd like it to be my watch daily so I can cut down on complexity (aka I rarely remember to bring the one I have to work for runs)

2015-01-17 11:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: GPS watch that can be worn as regular watch on small female?
If you just need the time and distance functionality, a basic running watch will do. They all can be used for cycling too. A triathlon watch that's made for swimming is overkill.

Look at the Garmin 220 or 620. You can also check out DC Rainmaker blog - he has size comparisons and often will comment on using on small wrists.

If you want something with smart notifications, check out the Fenix 3 (but it's $$$)

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-01-17 11:29 AM
2015-01-17 9:03 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Master

If you're set on Garmin, this won't help you. But if you're researching...

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/04/polar-rcx3-in-depth-review.html

One of the reasons I went with this watch is because it isn't clunky and can be comfortably worn all day. I believe you can pick up the whole GPS/HR package for $150-180ish.

2015-01-18 10:39 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Pro

I have the Garmin 210 and can wear it as a watch. Also, I've been eyeing this one: http://www.oiselle.com/shop/running-accessories/soleus-gps-mini-flyte-watch - it looks to be a little smaller than the garmin: http://www.soleusrunning.com/products/gps-mini 

2015-01-20 11:16 AM

User image

DC
Originally posted by Moonrocket

My husband's 305 finally died. I'm thinking of giving him my 910xt and getting a watch that actually fits me. I only use time distance and pace (although would like to use for run and bike no need for swim).
Any suggestions? I'd like it to be my watch daily so I can cut down on complexity (aka I rarely remember to bring the one I have to work for runs)

I used to have a fancier do-it-all Garmin... more info than I knew what to do with. I'm now using the very basic, very INEXPENSIVE FR 15. 1) how fast; 2) how far), & 3) heart rate. All I REALLY care about. I have a separate bike-specific computer but still use the FR 15 to track my bike commutes (you can switch it to speed display vs pace). Pretty tough... shower w/it & rarely need to take it off. Oh, & the fitness monitor can get addictively fun. DC Rainmaker has given thumbs up.

Oh yeah, they make "smaller wrist" versions.
2015-01-20 11:09 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Porfirio

Originally posted by Moonrocket

I used to have a fancier do-it-all Garmin... more info than I knew what to do with. I'm now using the very basic, very INEXPENSIVE FR 15. 1) how fast; 2) how far), & 3) heart rate. All I REALLY care about. I have a separate bike-specific computer but still use the FR 15 to track my bike commutes (you can switch it to speed display vs pace). Pretty tough... shower w/it & rarely need to take it off. Oh, & the fitness monitor can get addictively fun. DC Rainmaker has given thumbs up.

Oh yeah, they make "smaller wrist" versions.

Thanks! This is what I'm leaning towards at this point. I'm going to head over to REI to see the smaller one in person and see what I think.

2015-01-20 11:11 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

I have the Garmin 210 and can wear it as a watch. Also, I've been eyeing this one: http://www.oiselle.com/shop/running-accessories/soleus-gps-mini-flyte-watch - it looks to be a little smaller than the garmin: http://www.soleusrunning.com/products/gps-mini 

Those look great too! I really want to see them in person- the picture on the wrist makes it look pretty big.
2015-01-28 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just thought that I would update that I got the FR15 and am really happy with it so far. Other than it thinks I'm running really fast when I'm actually biking and congratulates me on my 30 minute 10k - it's been super accurate.

The steps are kind of addictive :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GPS watch that can be worn as regular watch on small female? Rss Feed