General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Marathon to Marathon in 8 weeks? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-18 12:01 PM

User image

Subject: Half Marathon to Marathon in 8 weeks?
Did a (solo) "half marathon" 13.1 mile run yesterday in 2 hours. I have been only running 17-20 miles per week average, with a long run of 9-11 miles. Never done a marathon before, but wondering if I could finish one on March 14. This would be a "bucket list" item for the year, and doing the March event could free up a lot of time after for tri and century training during the warmer more outdoor months. I would be shooting for a finish in under 5 hours, using the Hal Higdon novice schedule as a loose guide (though I am already behind in the total miles recommended at this point). Any thoughts? Give it a month and decide? I will be 58 in March, and thought it might be a birthday gift (to me). It is the inaugural Newport News, VA One City (point to point, the length of the skinny city) Marathon.
John B.

2015-01-18 1:02 PM
in reply to: #5084591

User image

Subject: RE: Half Marathon to Marathon in 8 weeks?
I would say go for it. I decided, (on a bit of a whim) to do the Philly marathon this past November without really doing much in the way of structured training. I was still in pretty decent shape from the tri season and had done a half iron in September. Not that I suggest it as the way to go, but my longest run was around 12 before the event. I feel like quality runs with hills and some interval sets are more valuable than just hoofing 20 miles and calling it a day. Not a marathoner, just a guys who loves to compete and push myself...thus my first full ironman in September!

Go for it and good luck!
2015-01-18 2:15 PM
in reply to: #5084604

User image

Franklin, TN
How hard did you run that half? Can you start the marathon build now or do you need some recovery time? You can do it but you need to be able to complete the mileage build without any injury setbacks. I'm close to your age (54 last year when I did my first) and about the same speed (1:59 HM) before the marathon. My build kept getting derailed by sickness and dinged up legs. Consequently, I didn't get enough volume and long runs in and jog/walked the second half to a 5:07 finish...humbling experience. Good luck. You can do it..just listen to your body and don't be afraid to shut down a run if something doesn't feel right.
2015-01-18 3:59 PM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
I think it's doable, as long as you don't push too hard and injure yourself. My first marathon was kind of a whim thing, with my furthest training run 16 miles. I ran with the 5 hour pace group (run/walk) and had a great time, finishing a couple minutes before the 5 hour mark...and injury free. Good luck and happy birthday!
2015-01-18 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
If you hit a half marathon in training and didn't race it and kill yourself in the process, I see little reason to think you couldn't do a full in 8 weeks,

The longest training runs for a marathon aren't typically much longer than a half marathon, and the difference between all out racing a half marathon, and plodding along in zone 2 are pretty significant for recovery.

If you think you can handle the increased volume and feel great now, go for it! Be prepared to use a run/walk strategy if you need to as you get closer though, it can make a huge difference when you're on that line of fitness.
2015-01-18 4:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
I'm worried about the way you structure your training. You run between 17-20 miles you say, so your current long run was about two thirds of your total mileage. This sounds like a recipe for injury to me, even in its current state, but especially when ramped up to say a a long run of 20 miles (you would prbably be wise not to attempt to go that far in training for that specific reason anyway). I would definitely give it a month and decide then, and try to first increase your mileage slowly in that month. You didn't say how often you were running per week but I would try to get it to 5 times a week if you can. Try to expand your base by increasing about 10% of running time each week for that month. Then you're at 30 miles which is still minimal, but you can then at least hit 40ish on the week you do your longest run, and then dial it back a bit before the marathon. If you can't handle that then there's a big chance your marathon goal might derail your tri season. But then again the ramping up of volume might do the same, which is why I probably wouldn't do it anyway. Let us know what you decide and how you're getting on with training.

Edited by Snaaijer 2015-01-18 4:49 PM

2015-01-18 8:23 PM

User image

If you don't care about your finish time, do it. Personally, I walked for a great deal of my marathons. Ain't nothing wrong with that as long as you cross the finish line.
2015-01-19 12:46 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
I don't recommend it since you want to finish it in under 5 hours. Gotta build up your body's durability over a much longer period when it comes to training for a marathon. I also don't recommend your long runs compose more than 35% of your total weekly mileage. You might get injured that way. But then again, we don't know how long you have been consistently running.

Why rush it anyway? I understand you'd like to make it a nice birthday present to yourself but save it for next year or after you finish your triathlons and century rides. You can use your off season months to build up your running volume and be better prepared for your first marathon. You'll be happy you did.

Now if you are fine with just finishing it so you can take it off your bucket list, by all means do it. You'll be doing alota walking.
2015-01-19 5:45 AM
in reply to: Snaaijer

New user
Key West
Originally posted by Snaaijer

I'm worried about the way you structure your training. You run between 17-20 miles you say, so your current long run was about two thirds of your total mileage. This sounds like a recipe for injury to me, even in its current state, but especially when ramped up to say a a long run of 20 miles (you would prbably be wise not to attempt to go that far in training for that specific reason anyway). I would definitely give it a month and decide then, and try to first increase your mileage slowly in that month. You didn't say how often you were running per week but I would try to get it to 5 times a week if you can. Try to expand your base by increasing about 10% of running time each week for that month. Then you're at 30 miles which is still minimal, but you can then at least hit 40ish on the week you do your longest run, and then dial it back a bit before the marathon. If you can't handle that then there's a big chance your marathon goal might derail your tri season. But then again the ramping up of volume might do the same, which is why I probably wouldn't do it anyway. Let us know what you decide and how you're getting on with training.

^^What he said. Your weekly mileage is just too low to do this without a high probability for injury and also to meet your time goal. Could you possibly get through the Marathon, yes, but it would not feel like a birthday present, it would more likely feel like a death march. Your long run, ideally, should only be about 20-30% of your weekly mileage, but you honestly don't need to run more than 16 miles on your long run if your weekly base is high enough. So, to avoid injury and build a better base, increase the number of days you run and your weekly mileage and throw in some tempo and speed work (at least a couple of times a week) and you will feel a lot better during your marathon.

I am a bit older than you (60) but have run several marathons and recently BQ'd. You can do this but as you get older the short cuts younger people take are just more likely to get you injured. Good luck to you.
2015-02-07 3:12 PM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Update with five weeks to go. My long run has been about half of my weekly mileage. Today was 17.1 miles at 9:53. Weekly total of 33 miles. Schedule calls for a few miles less this next week (long run only 13), then 19/12/8 for the long runs descending until the marathon. I feel great, so I am going to go for it. I need to put a little more effort on the nutrition, and get another pair of shoes ASAP, since I don't think my current pair will make it (I run on National Park Roads, which have a chip-seal asphalt surface that chews up the soles of the shoes).
2015-02-07 8:58 PM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Marathon to Marathon in 8 weeks? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

how to practice the "second half" of a marathon or half marathon

Started by BigDH
Views: 1464 Posts: 12

2009-01-20 11:56 AM rstocks3

Half Marathon to Full with 5 weeks between

Started by smhammond
Views: 1509 Posts: 21

2007-07-23 5:18 PM chirunner134

Half Marathon - Olympic Tri Two Weeks Apart

Started by mr2tony
Views: 811 Posts: 4

2007-05-08 12:11 PM mr2tony

half marathon on rest week

Started by pborough
Views: 640 Posts: 8

2007-02-22 10:45 AM pborough

half-marathon one week after a 10k?

Started by autumn
Views: 808 Posts: 15

2004-09-16 10:18 AM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.