General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 62 and want to start training for first triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-18 5:11 PM

Subject: 62 and want to start training for first triathlon
For several months I have been entertaining the idea of training in order to celebrate my 65th with an Olympic triathlon. I am a woman who has done little in the athletic field. I don't really even know where this idea came from. I have started taking swim lessons and I have begun looking at bikes. Thinking about sprints this year. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Kat

2015-01-19 8:16 AM
in reply to: Kashart

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: 62 and want to start training for first triathlon

Welcome to BT and triathlon! It is ALWAYS a good time to start, regardless of age.

I'd suggest joining one of our open mentor groups--they are super for advice and support.

For a newcomer, I'd also recommend Sally Edwards's book Triathlons for Women and/or Jayne Williams's Slow Fat Triathlete (it's hilarious and very practical too). Good luck!

2015-01-19 10:52 AM
in reply to: Kashart

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 62 and want to start training for first triathlon

Welcome to BT Kat.  

Swim lessons are good.  

Not sure where you are, but as you look at bicycles, think about what bike riding you might do.  Different styles of bicycles have different advantages and disadvantages.  

Road/Triathlon bikes:  Lightweight frames and skinny tires make these the lightest and most efficient bikes.  Riding position may be uncomfortable, particularly if you only ride occasionally.  Those skinny, lightweight, high-pressure tires may be prone to flats and hard to fix if you do get a flat.  

Mountain bikes:  Heavy frames, knobby tires suspensions, and very low gearing make these go-anywhere bikes, but they're not very efficient with the big, soft, tires.  Riding position is more upright and therefore suited to casual riding.  

Hyrbrid/City/Fitness:  Kind of a mix between the two.  Frames are heavier than regular road bikes with slightly wider/heavier tires and usually a much wider range of gears.  A more upright riding position compared to road bikes.  A good all-around bike if you're going to ride casually.  

Recumbant:  These are the funky looking bikes where you lean back rather than forward.  Good if you have back or wrist problems.  

I started with a 10-speed back in high school.  Years later, I got tired of fixing flats and dodging glass and gravel while riding around the neighborhood with my kids and got a mountain bike.  A few years later, I did my first triathlon and bought another road bike and then a tri-bike.  I still have the mountain bike, and I ride it to the store because in town, I want to sit up and be seen, not worry about glass, carry stuff I buy at the store (I have bags on it) and ride in tennis shoes rather than my bike shoes.  If I were only going to have one bike and ride casually, I'd get a fitness bike rather than a road bike.  This has the added bonus that fitness bikes start at about $250 (sporting goods stores) where entry-level road bikes are about $800 (not including pedals, shoes, pump, repair kit, pouch, helmet, cycling computer, etc.)  

So...

Would you ride your bike to the store to get a few things?
Would you ride around your neighborhood?
Would you ride your bike 2 miles to go to the park or a restaurant or show (instead of driving)?  
Would you ride on busy streets?  
Would you want to carry things when you ride?  
Do you want to go fast, fast fast?  

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 62 and want to start training for first triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Irish and just started training for my first triathlon

Started by ratherbefishing
Views: 666 Posts: 5

2012-08-06 1:56 PM SeaDogAther

So, starting to train for my first ever TRi

Started by sboskov
Views: 792 Posts: 4

2012-03-26 7:39 PM sboskov

Getting ready to start training for first tri!

Started by debbiereid06
Views: 752 Posts: 6

2010-03-03 9:12 PM ransick

First day of tri training starts tomorrow

Started by tellison
Views: 631 Posts: 9

2006-07-17 7:53 PM tellison

Hi! Just started training for my first sprint

Started by Karens123
Views: 794 Posts: 13

2006-05-04 10:08 PM Tri-It
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : June 27, 2011
author : Trmlo
comments : 10
At 66 years old, I completed my first sprint triathlon!
date : July 8, 2008
author : amyro1234
comments : 0
Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”

date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!
date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.