General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Medial Plica Syndrome Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-20 7:50 AM

User image

Camden, NC
Subject: Medial Plica Syndrome
Was recently diagnosed with medial plica syndrome (pain on the inside of my knee) after an MRI and I am still learning how to deal with this overuse injury. Seems like it is taking forever to heal, as with most overuse injuries, but was wondering if anyone out there has experienced this type of injury and the time and process it took to heal it. I have heard of people getting the plica removed or shaved or resected, but just don't want to create more problems with surgery if I can avoid that. My PT has put me on a simple walk/run plan, but still seems to get aggravated at the slightest bit of running. Will probably try a shot next...thanks for insight on any experiences out there!

2015-01-20 1:34 PM
in reply to: HercDriver

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: RE: Medial Plica Syndrome
bad experience with mine for a year. Had it shaved this past August because I couldn't do any type of exercise ( including swimming) for more than 15 minutes with out getting a bad stabbing/ intermittent pain. My ortho didn't even really think it was plica, but after I exhausted all my options after a year and I mean everything I had him scope it. He said it was only mildly pink when he scoped it, but it must have taken care of it because the next day I rode my bike for 20 minutes and took off from there. It's sad that it took so long, but am happy with the results. I also had a minor chondroplasty under the knee cap ( very slight roughening of cartilage). I never had any pain from the surgery and never took a pain pill. shwew! I've read about bad experiences, so I was really worried. Exhaust your options first and good luck!
2015-01-21 5:21 AM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Camden, NC
Subject: RE: Medial Plica Syndrome
wow, what a great success story for you to finally break through after surgery. Thanks for the response, I am so glad you are back to training. I guess compared to you I am in the early stages so far. Worst pain started after IMMD last September and I have been essentially resting since then and just started back with the run/walk after the pain was almost gone, but it has come back a little. I have not swam since then, but I have been biking intermittently. Doc noted on my MRI that I too had a little bit of cartilage breakdown, so I will continues to monitor. Thanks again!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Medial Plica Syndrome Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Plica surgery

Started by ace1dc
Views: 4693 Posts: 6

2013-09-16 2:27 PM Socks

Swollen Plica Band

Started by ddiciacco
Views: 1789 Posts: 6

2007-07-27 7:35 PM dhyte

"plica" syndrom..say what?

Started by greenmtnman
Views: 810 Posts: 3

2006-08-13 12:03 PM greenmtnman

Inner medial knee pain

Started by mneyedoc
Views: 703 Posts: 1

2005-07-30 8:57 AM mneyedoc

torn medial meniscus anyone? Pages: 1 2

Started by nikki
Views: 9217 Posts: 43

2010-04-12 5:56 PM chewymix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?

date : September 9, 2010
comments : 1
What causes shin splints and what can I do to treat them and do compression socks work?
date : May 21, 2010
Woke up at 7am and physically could not walk. Pain was shooting in my knee (almost dropped me to my knees). Later I went to my sports doc. He could not simulate the pain whatsoever.

date : December 28, 2009
comments : 0
I think I have pes ansurine tendonitis. I have had tender to-the-touch pain on the medial aspect of both knees after riding. The pain is more acute the couple of days after a ride.
date : January 16, 2007
The long runs, before your training was up to speed, likely started-up some overuse injury. Inflammation occurred in the front part of your knee where the extensor mechanism of your knee functions.

date : September 3, 2006
If you are one of those athletes, and the compartments don’t easily expand, the pressure within increases with exercise. This can stress the muscle as well as the nerves and blood vessels.
date : June 5, 2006
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : March 5, 2006
The pain is palpable after a run mid shaft, medial to bone around the interosseous border. Resistive movement does not effect it. Most pain is with load bearing during a run.