General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Noobie From Houston Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-20 4:36 PM

Subject: Noobie From Houston Texas
Howdy!

I am a rookie triathlete who has signed up for the Ironman 30.3 in Galveston Texas. After reading through the forums a bit, I slightly regret that choice haha.

I am a competitive runner and I've completed the MS150 multiple times. I however do not know how to swim. I can flail around and not drown in a pool for the most part but that is definitely the extent of my skill set.

Look forward to calling myself a triathlete.

Y'all take care.

In Hoc Signo Vinces

2015-01-21 7:29 AM
in reply to: IHSV

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Noobie From Houston Texas

You don't know how to swim and you're going to attempt to swim 1.2 miles in 14 weeks?  Gotta ask... WHY?

2015-01-21 11:42 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Ignorance or sheer determination. I vacillate between the two.
2015-01-21 2:46 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Good luck, dude. Seriously!
That is pretty nuts, but not unheard of.
I tried a few sprints and Olympics before I went to 70.3, but to each his own.

Galveston is a nice race though. I did it a few years ago, thought the swim wasn't too bad. I had a lucky year where it seemed to be a tail wind both going out and coming back on the bike. The run was a bit boring though.

Be sure to get as much open water swim training as you can between now and then. I know that's a bit hard this time of year, but trust me you'll want to do that before the race.
2015-01-21 3:22 PM
in reply to: djastroman

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by djastroman

Be sure to get as much open water swim training as you can between now and then. I know that's a bit hard this time of year, but trust me you'll want to do that before the race.

Agreed. Even for a good swimmer, swimming in the open water with people all over the place can be overwhelming at first. At the oilman 70.3 this year I pulled I guy out of the masses who was so exhausted he couldn't even talk to say he needed help. He caused me to go into exhaustion just holding him up until the boat got to us. Knowing and being prepared how to swim is no joke in these races. That being said. Go learn how to swim and have a blast at Galveston, it is a well put on event.... try to get a room at the host hotel if you can, it will make things much easier.

Justin
2015-01-27 10:47 AM
in reply to: djastroman

Starting in March my open water training will be done with a Wetsuit in Lake 288 or Galveston.

Thanks for the tips!

2015-01-27 10:55 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by IHSV Starting in March my open water training will be done with a Wetsuit in Lake 288 or Galveston. Thanks for the tips!

I hope you have a training plan that you're following (at least loosely).  Learn about nutrition and pacing for long course racing.  The guys above have given some good advice.  

If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask.  

Good luck Brother.  In Hoc,

Scott (UH Sig)

2015-01-29 8:11 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm by no means saying you can't do it but I hope for your sake that the bay is not as rough as it was last year. I saw strong swimmers struggling on the way out with the waves hit them. Like I said earlier, I'm not saying you can't be ready because anything is possible with hard work, but if your not ready on that day then please don't try and risk the safety of yourself and others. Best of Luck
2015-02-16 8:36 AM

User image

Good luck! I did the Galveston 5150 olympic distance last year with 3 weeks training for swimming and running while I was getting back into cycling myself. IMO you will be fine as long as you stay committed to swimming multiple times a week. The water was really rough last year, I hope you have better luck than I did on my first tri.
2015-02-16 10:12 AM

User image

I did a whopping two sprint Tris before my IMTX build up last year. I'm a poor swimmer and went into Galveston with a lot of confidence and not near enough training. I made it in 58 minutes which is about as slow as it gets. The bike and run I crushed like nothing.

My point is that although the swim may be insane and what seems to be out of reach, if you want it bad enough it is possible.

I did the exact same in IMTX as well, poor swim and solid on both bike and run. I'll implement more swimming this year for IMTX but the mind set is still the same, never give up.

Good luck.
2015-02-16 5:49 PM
in reply to: Iron0331

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Welcome! I HIGHLY recommend you find a good swim coach pronto. Swimming is all about technique and better to get that down than practice bad technique. There are tons of threads on this forum advising of good swim coaches in the area.

Good luck and happy training!

2015-02-22 3:28 PM
in reply to: erin116

User image

Cypress, Texas

FYI - I am a noobie from a running background that too didn't know how to swim and also is doing a 70.3 Triathlon as my debut the end of April.  :-)

My first day in the water 7 weeks ago I could only go about 35 meters with out panicking for air and having to stop to catch my breath.  I am now swimming 1000 meter freestyle with out any trouble and will be doing longer open water swims starting in another 4 weeks.  

No one was born knowing how to swim, cycle, or run.  They all can be learned.  On any given day you likely to only PR in one of them so it is okay if you have a weakness because you can shine in other areas of the Triathlon.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Noobie From Houston Texas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Houston/Texas 40k TT Events?

Started by AndrewMT
Views: 851 Posts: 1

2010-07-25 10:42 AM AndrewMT

Houston Marathon Training. NW Houston

Started by fattyfatfat
Views: 1073 Posts: 1

2009-07-06 11:02 AM fattyfatfat

Meet CHRIS CARMICHAEL in HOUSTON, TEXAS

Started by C-Ray
Views: 595 Posts: 2

2007-04-18 9:59 AM Freeswimmingfish

Houston Tri'ers Group Pages: 1 2

Started by johnybutts
Views: 3061 Posts: 46

2005-08-03 5:54 PM Freeswimmingfish

South Houston/Galveston TX??

Started by CAGE
Views: 693 Posts: 1

2004-10-19 8:36 PM CAGE
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2014
author : glyssellee
comments : 10
My race report is different. My motivating factors go back seven years. I have lived in denial for seven years. Depression. I registered for Ironman Texas even though I felt like a complete failure.

date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : September 15, 2004
author : tboepple
comments : 0
Women / Masters / Special Needs - Lauren Maule, Diane Proud, Tom Rodgers
date : September 3, 2004
Joe Friel - Periodization

Joe Friel, Bike Technique & Training (Physiology)
Aero Positioning on the Bike – John Cobb

Details on the first Texas Triathlon Camp with Tom Rodgers, Joe Friel, John cobb, Lauren Maule and Andre Rizo.