Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Calories In vs Out Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-21 10:18 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Calories In vs Out
Good day everyone,

I am training regularly, and want to ensure maximum performance without over or under doing things. I've been doing loads of research regarding calories IN vs calories OUT. I've yet to have been able to pin point just how many calories I need to consume versus how many calories are burned each day to ensure I can keep up with my training and lose weight.
Although the math seems simple enough - it really isn't as there are many theories out there, and they don't all agree on how to calculate and how to get the proper deficit vs nutrient factors for your daily diet if/when training.

I'm training 6 days a week, 7th day is what I call my "off day" because it's the day I tend not to do any formal training, but I run all my errands, so really, I'm getting loads of walking done (Going thru Costco alone is 1 mile). I get no less than 30 mins cardio in every day, typically it's 60 mins or more.

Need guidance, if you have any, as to gauge how many calories I need to take in vice the calories burned (out) to keep up with my training / workouts, and still get a sufficient enough caloric deficit to drop some poundage.

Any foods that you know that help burn more calories, please share

I'm always seeking to broaden my knowledge base - so any and all information you share is welcomed.

I know all about healthy eating, not drinking soda, and all of that, I've buffed up on carb, protein, fat daily requirements etc.... huge water intake to keep hydrated and assist with weight loss... etc, etc, etc...

I would like to understand the science being weight loss.
again, to ensure that the weight being lost is fat, and not muscle.

thanks in advance for your input.

2015-01-21 6:42 PM
in reply to: ShyButSweet

User image

Subject: RE: Calories In vs Out
It is very difficult to determine with accuracy how many calories you consume and how many calories you burn. Personally, I don't bother to even try. I eat a variety of foods to make sure I'm getting enough vitamins, minerals, proteins, carbohydrates and fats. I keep a rough eye on my weight just to make sure I keep myself light enough to keep speed up on the bike and run. I keep a rough eye on my body fat by measuring my skin thickness at my stomach just to ensure my weight comes from muscle and not from fat.

If I burn up more calories than I take in, it doesn't affect my efficiency because I have energy stores and I know I have enough nutrients to supply all my body functions.

Good luck.
2015-01-22 5:17 PM

Hi There...

Congrats on your efforts, I wish you the best... a few thoughts I would share

Originally posted by ShyButSweet
Need guidance, if you have any, as to gauge how many calories I need to take in vice the calories burned (out) to keep up with my training / workouts, and still get a sufficient enough caloric deficit to drop some poundage.

This is indeed tough to get exactly right as calories estimate for both food and exercise vary -- but the good news is you don't actually need it to be exactly right, you just need keep track of what you are eating and exercising using some sort of application (e.g. myfitnesspal which is free) and then measure your weight on a weekly basis (same time of day, etc.) and adjust as you go... you can then vary your diet and workouts to hit your goals...I would look at this on a week by week basis since there are day to day fluctuation that are tough to account for

Any foods that you know that help burn more calories, please share

I've heard celery takes more energy to digest than contains, but sadly I'm not sure there are any foods that do so -- my experience with weight loss stuff was that if there was anything that truly worked (beyond diet and exercise) we would all know about

I would like to understand the science being weight loss.
again, to ensure that the weight being lost is fat, and not muscle.

Ahh.. now this is key, since you are working out and dieting you could (in theory) be converting trading 2lbs of fat for 2lbs of muscle, so while you would weigh the same you would notice the difference in terms of body measurements (waist size, neck size, etc.) -- the best way to know this is to get one of the scales that will display both weight and body fat -- there are some instruction on how to use them (time of day, hydration level, etc) that you'll need to follow but they are pretty accurate
2015-04-30 9:10 PM

I hope I can shed some light on the subject!

As far as quantity of calories goes, I really don't think that there is much benefit in counting calories, but here's the formula if you must know:

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) x Physical Activity Level (PAL) = Daily Caloric Needs (DCN)

Your BMR is calculated by multiplying your body weight in kg x 22 (for women, 24 for men) (alternatively, multiply your body weight in pounds x 9.97).

Your PAL is calculated by determining your level of fitness as a multiplier (since you work out 6 days a week I would put you in the 1.5-1.6 range as being very active).

For example:

A 55 kg woman who is very active would have a DCN of 1815 (55x22x1.5)

Now, there is a bunch of things that go in to determining weight loss alongside your very active lifestyle, that I don't think it's worthwhile to necessarily count calories versus determine the quality of fuel you're taking in - to help aide in your training, to aide in recovery, to keep your muscle and to lose extra body fat.

If it were simply a caloric number you wanted (let's use 1800 as an example) you could eat 3 big macs and one small fries and hit that number (1830 as per mcd Canadian site), but does that sound right to you? I hope that it doesn't!

On the other hand, do you care how many calories you get from broccoli? I don't think I'll ever hear the words "stop eating those vegetables" ever.

Why?

The quality of the food you're consuming plays a much more important role (IMO) in the quality of your life - in those aspects that I mentioned: training, recovery, etc.

With so many different diet plans available these days (I use the word diet in the sense that whatever you put in your mouth on a daily basis is your diet, not a short term food plan you intend to stop at some point) like vegan, paleo, slow carb, etc I don't want to get into too much detail about what you should be eating, but any healthy food choice begins with a conscious decision.

To answer your very last point about weight loss, your muscles are made up of protein. If you restrict your protein intake and get too far into a caloric deficit your body will start to convert your muscles into energy so you can survive.

If you want to send me a PM Id be more than happy to help further!
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Calories In vs Out Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

subaru vs. multi sport canada series

Started by nicruns
Views: 2709 Posts: 14

2011-01-31 2:41 PM nicruns
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : February 4, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Marni will show you how to make your own delicious and nutritious wrap that is light on calories but high in protein and nutrients.
date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.

date : October 9, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 2
This article gives instruction on using all the nutrition log features to count your daily calories from foods eaten.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
comments : 0
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout