General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm a roadie now...I think?? What to wear? Join a club/team? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-21 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
the Sipp
Subject: I'm a roadie now...I think?? What to wear? Join a club/team?
I've been doing tri's for a few years now...some 70.3s and IMFL in 2013. I spent most of last year trying (unsuccessfully) to run after having a serious back surgery and now my knees won't allow me to run either, due to chondromalacia. BUT the good news is that I do not have any issues while riding...yet!
So...I'm hanging up the wetsuit and running shoes and I've just traded my tri bike for a Pinarello Dogma and I'm ready to transform into a roadie.

I need some bibs...all i have currently are some IM70.3 bike shorts which are ok but are gonna have to be relegated to the trainer. I've read the rules http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/so I know as a roadie i now have to wear bibs, socks and sleeves and all that now. My question is do i need to get a plain old Castelli kit (or similar) or can i grab a Road ID kit like this https://www.roadid.com/Common/Catalog.aspx?C=apparel-cycling-tri? Seems kinda silly really but I know a pro team kit is kinda frowned upon and I really don't want one anyway, but is a "Road ID" or maybe a "Pinarello" kit still considered 'faux pas' ?? I like my kit to match and I don't really see alot of plain kits out there that really strike me...Or should I go ahead and try to join a team and buy their kit instead??

I'm totally new to road racing but definitely wanna try it out this year. I've only ever done triathlon, but i've done dozens of group rides and some big rides with pace lines, and i've read a little about it, so I have some idea of what to expect with road races but really think i wanna join a local team. There's one not too far from me but it is based about 30-40 min away or so even if they'll let a noob on the team, I'm still not sure how much involvement I'll get with them; but willing to try.

I've read about doing alot more interval work for road racing as opposed to aerobic, distance training. Since now I'm putting all my eggs in one basket, i'll have more time to focus on cycling, do i ride 5-6 days a wk now? ...I think I will ...get in a team/group ride once or twice a week as possible?

2015-01-21 6:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: I'm a roadie now...I think?? What to wear? Join a club/team?
Road racing in the LA / MS area doesn't really kick off until March. Have you looked at the LAMBRA calender and member clubs?

If you're interested in racing, my suggestion is to find a club with a race team as close to you as possible and go on as many of their rides as you can. Kit if you're riding in LAMBRA races really won't matter. If it were me, I'd get a plain jersey....no logo at all.....if you're riding unaffiliated. If you're on a team, get the team kit.....at least the jersey! The early season Cat 5 LAMBRA races will have a mix of people in them.....some brand new who'll get dropped early and some pretty serious riders. It's a fun and different type of experience. My only suggestion is to hang in there for a few races....expect to get dropped your first few races, but don't give up!

http://www.lambra.org/

Edited by g_shotts 2015-01-21 6:03 PM
2015-01-23 2:34 PM
in reply to: Dave 2.0

User image

I am a roadie at heart who dabbles in Triathlon as a way to cross train switch things up and meet new people. There are a lot of groups out there and most of the people are very nice and welcoming. Unlike triathlon, where everyone is really friendly and accepting, you will find some snobs out there in the roadie world. I would check with your local bike shops as many of them have clubs and teams made up of people with a wide variety of experience and skills.

As far as what to wear I would wear whatever you want and not worry about what others will wear. That being said, you will probably stick out if you wear your trisuit. I would look at getting some matching kits from Castelli. I have several of their bib/jersey kits and really like them. The Castelli stuff a lot of times is nicer than what most clubs have available. Also, don't worry about wearing a sleeveless jersey. You cant wear them at road races, but no one other than the snobs care if you are wearing one on training rides when its hot and humid out. One thing I learned when I started doing triathlons is that when you are training hard, sleeves just make you hot.

You might also check out cyclocross. It's more of a fall sport though. I started racing clclocross this fall to give me a reason to keep training when the weather started to get colder and the tri season wound down and I found it to be a blast. You can use your road bike with a few modifications, or just pick up a used cross bike for cheap.
2015-01-23 3:08 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Congrats. I did my last tri in 2005 and I haven't looked back. I just bike race now. I would say that I am a roadie, but actually race at a higher level on the track. I've also done some cyclocross and cross country mountain bike races.

I would say, join a team, not only for the kit, but also because bike racing is definitely a team sport. Trust me, you'll have more fun when you do. So save buying any kit until you get the team kit.

2015-01-26 3:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

David,

I'm actually a roadie this season.  Lots of riding already taking place as we get ready for the race in Monroe March 1st and Rouge Roubaix on the 15th.  Message me here or on FB, and I'll clue you in on rides.  

2015-03-08 9:05 PM
in reply to: #5085678

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Rouge Roubaix is good fun. I haven't done it in 10 years. I'm glad to see it's still going on.

2015-03-09 6:11 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I'll be at Rouge Roubaix in the 4/5 race. I'll be the old chubby guy wearing a green and blue Woodlands Cycling Club kit.Say hello if you get a chance!
2015-03-12 4:29 PM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I'm racing 4/5 as well.  Hoping to CAT up to 4 after this race.  Good luck, everyone.  It's gonna be awesome!

2015-03-17 6:46 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Originally posted by msteiner

I'm racing 4/5 as well.  Hoping to CAT up to 4 after this race.  Good luck, everyone.  It's gonna be awesome!

What did you think of the race? Turned into a long day for me......I had 4-hours of good racing in me....too bad it took me 5+ hours to finish. The last gravel section did me in. I ended up all alone after that and the race was all out of me by that time. I hung on for 12th....and was pretty happy with that.

All in all it's a tough race of an old fat guy! TWO THUMBS UP for Rouge Roubaix!
2015-04-24 2:13 PM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I'm an official roadie now, too.  Got my USAC license.  Joined a club.  Ordered the kit - yes it matches my bike (that's important).  I've read The Primer and The Rules.  Found a local beginner crit series and a couple of time trials.  Just looking to get through Cat 5 intact, a little faster, and a little smarter.

Now I just need to buy some socks and take the clip-ons off my bike.  :-)

2015-05-17 10:08 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Joining a local bike team can have many benefits. The team I'm on get's free access to a CompuTrainer lab for group training, nice discounts via our title sponsor (local bike shop), discounts via bike and tire manufacture, free nutrition, killer deals this year with FSA/Vision (new sponsor), deals on kit (retail wear and team), then there is organized training ride, racing with a team and employing strategies, learning from others, finding new bike routes, traveling to races with a group.... Our team helps sponsor several local races (a stage race and a crit), means you commit to volunteering and get to see what putting on races is like from the inside. You want to find a team you gel with and is focused on the same types of races you are interested in. I most race track at a local velodrome but have trying out TTs, Crits, and Road and some stage races this season. Our team has members that do pretty much every type of competition.

You'll also find racers that sell off gear fairly frequently and you can score killer deals on equipment. Think I'm at 25% of retail cost for my road bike buying the frame, build kit, power meter from a team mate and then sponsorship prices on wheels, bar, and stem.

Take your time in Cat 5, go to school on how courses determine where breaks will be made, get a feel for which breaks to cover, have fun with counter attacks, learn not to over lap wheels and communicate a lot, learn what your strengths are, don't sweat the "mutants" that go off the front and stay off the front in Cat 5 and 4 races (the 3s will keep up with them and the 1/2s will gobble them up for a season or two). You'll learn that guys who can put in 20+ hours a week training are really fast, keep the big picture in perspective if that lifestyle is not for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm a roadie now...I think?? What to wear? Join a club/team? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Local club race team???

Started by g_shotts
Views: 1120 Posts: 5

2012-12-11 4:43 PM Dlaxman31

Club / team riders, help me out

Started by baldmanrunning
Views: 962 Posts: 2

2011-03-02 2:34 PM jeng

Roadie Pron

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 2586 Posts: 12

2010-05-11 1:10 PM magic

Stage 7: Astana TEAM dinner or TEAMS dinner

Started by LHablas
Views: 2035 Posts: 14

2009-07-13 2:57 PM GomesBolt

Don't think I'm going swimming anytime soon...

Started by tri_it_cajun_style
Views: 1462 Posts: 3

2005-10-03 8:37 AM joannh13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.