General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Full-Time Runner Training Schedule? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-22 7:28 PM

Subject: Full-Time Runner Training Schedule?
Hello,

I really want to do a triathlon, but I run for my school 6 days a week. I am most likely going to do St. Anthony's Olympic Triathlon in April. I don't have any time for biking and swimming on those days (unless I got up early in the morning). What should I make my training schedule like? I have never done a full triathlon before (I once did the bike and run). I am 16 years old and have very good cardio already (mile pr: 4:47). I usually run about 7 miles a day and my long runs have been as long as 16 miles. I'd appreciate some help. Should I keep the 7th day of the week as a day off, or train? If so, what should I train and how far should I go? Also, I haven't suffered from any injuries in my two years of competitive running.

2015-01-22 9:31 PM
in reply to: salasp17

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Full-Time Runner Training Schedule?
Unless you want to cut into your running, you won't be able to train enough for the bike and swim. Sure, you could add a few of each on top of your current load, but your runs will suffer.

The bike shouldn't be a problem. Just try to ride enough that you know you'll not be pulling anything out there. The swim is different. Swimming a mile (or a little less), especially in open water is tough for the recreational swimmer. So you'll need to put in some time there. The good thing is that those workouts won't take nearly as much out of you as a bike ride, and so you can keep on running 6 days.

...so I would try to swim twice and ride once a week and you'll make it through the race, and pass a lot of people on the run. After your run season is over, consider reallocating some of your running hours to the other sports.
2015-01-23 9:36 AM

User image

Pro

Can you swim 1500m? Are you comfortable on a bike?

If yes, then you'll be on track for finishing the tri, for sure.

Consider adding a swim and a bike on your day off from running. If your goal is to complete the tri (not be super- competitive), you can start with what's comfortable (maybe 1000m of swimming, and a 10 mile bike) and slowly build up to a little further than the race distances. If you get comfortable with that, you can add in some intensity/harder intervals on the bike.

2015-01-23 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Have you thought about getting some friends together and signing up as a relay team? You'll get to enjoy the race and learn more about what it takes to prepare and compete in tris without having to cut into your run time.

I'm sure there are a bunch of people that would kill to have a 4:47 miler on their relay team.
2015-01-23 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Is running your priority over triathlon? If so, just stick with running until you have a break and can spend a couple days a week working on the other disciplines too. Summer?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Full-Time Runner Training Schedule? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

50 Miler or Full IM training schedule help!

Started by ElMatadorBorracho
Views: 1300 Posts: 5

2012-12-26 7:32 PM LittleCat

Full IM Training time

Started by Pector55
Views: 766 Posts: 16

2009-10-14 12:02 PM TriathletePT

Anyone Here Train/Race Full Time? Pages: 1 2

Started by supa-powa
Views: 2114 Posts: 26

2009-01-12 8:14 PM mscotthall

Training Schedule - Bike Based on Time

Started by JenZ
Views: 1143 Posts: 4

2008-06-23 9:48 PM KathyG

1/2 mary... extra time in training schedule

Started by kimj81
Views: 643 Posts: 3

2007-04-26 11:53 PM kimj81
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 22, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
Design a triathlon race schedule with the right amount and right types of races to help you peak at the right time.

date : February 25, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on runners knee in women, training by distance or time, overdistance training, bricks and strides.
date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.

date : May 30, 2005
author : smeeko
A few factors are at the basis of increasing running speed. In my experience these factors are: variety, “pain,” time and injury prevention.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.