General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Out-of-seat climbing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-23 10:58 AM

User image

DC
Subject: Out-of-seat climbing
Was watching a Contador video where he says he trains riding out-of-the-seat for some 20 minutes (wow!). Wondering whether/how training out-of-the seat on a roadie translates to TT riding where you should stay aero as much as possible.

I can climb great/very efficiently in the seat, but burn my legs out quickly out. Wonder if there's a benefit in changing that.

2015-01-23 12:17 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: Out-of-seat climbing

As a bike strength exercise, standing hill repeats are hard to beat.  Many benefits, and you should do it.

I incorporate a lot of standing hill climbs in my training. I have a route that includes about 1000' of climbing over 2 miles, including a 3/4 mile 10% grade and a slight downhill before another 10% grade. I start training that climb by alternating sitting and standing, gradually increasing the standing until I am climbing both hills and sitting the downhill. Then I reach the point where I can do 2x, then 3x, and by IM day I've been able to do 6x repeats on that route.  I usually climb at about 65 rpm on an 28 rear cog, about 300 watts.

Training hill repeats makes hillier IM courses seem like no problem. And I can easily pop up out of the saddle to top a ridge or accelerate out of a turn. Hill repeats have really halped me become a stronger, more well rounded cyclist and IM.  Yes, hours of hours of aero are helpful too.

As I say to my daughter, the only way to get better at hills is ride more hills.

2015-01-23 12:22 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

standing allows you to generate more torque. If you want to drop people or attack it is a useful tool to have. training to stand comfortably for 20 minutes, a position where you are creating a ton of drag, is likely not beneficial for a triathlon. However, if you were contesting bike races with mountain climbs, it could be a skill to consider.  Also to note, we aren't pro's, and that is kind of weird even for a pro.

2015-01-23 12:52 PM

User image

Training at different power ranges and cadences will make you a better all around cyclist that should translate to all types of riding.  I don't know if it's necessary to work yourself all the way up to 20' sustained out of the saddle efforts...but it's up to you.  Bike training is bike training in my book.  So long as your comfortable holding the aero position and putting down sustained power, then I don't see any problem with focusing on out of the saddle efforts...or any other types of training that results in the desired training stress.

Now if you are having trouble putting down sustained power while aero...then obviously you probably want to spend your time more appropriately.  

2015-01-23 2:58 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

When I was doing a lot of spin classes, there was another "real" cyclist in the class and we'd often challenge each other to different workouts. One of the things we did on occasion was to take the saddle off and do the whole class standing. Yeah, masochistic and all that.

2015-01-23 3:30 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Contador is a bit of an anomaly though. He has a particular climbing style that is unique to him. You look at a guy like Chris Froome, he barely ever comes out of the saddle - it's all high cadence head-down plugging away. Different styles work for different riders, but I don't think emulating Contador is reasonable for the vast majority of people. He's also been known to use "enhancements" to up his performance, so there's that.

I almost never practice out of saddle stuff. Very few real hills where I'm at, and not much in terms of hills in any of the races I'd be doing either. I use hills more like intervals where I just up my cadence and pound up them until my legs scream and I want to puke. In fact I often accelerate up hills (not steep ones of course). When out-of-saddle hill climbing becomes a tool I need to use, I'll practice it. Until then I feel like my time is better spent on other things.

2015-01-23 4:54 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

DC
Originally posted by Jason N

Training at different power ranges and cadences will make you a better all around cyclist that should translate to all types of riding.  I don't know if it's necessary to work yourself all the way up to 20' sustained out of the saddle efforts...but it's up to you.  Bike training is bike training in my book.  So long as your comfortable holding the aero position and putting down sustained power, then I don't see any problem with focusing on out of the saddle efforts...or any other types of training that results in the desired training stress.

Now if you are having trouble putting down sustained power while aero...then obviously you probably want to spend your time more appropriately.  

No prob on aero. Do we know whether the same muscle groups are being used in/out of saddle? I suspect fast and slow-twitch muscles, respectively.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Out-of-seat climbing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Seat Post Bike Rack for Carbon Seat Post

Started by Porfirio
Views: 2096 Posts: 5

2011-05-20 3:08 PM Porfirio

Climbing Hills - Seated vs out of the saddle Pages: 1 2

Started by Oki999
Views: 3724 Posts: 31

2011-04-05 3:10 PM jjupiter100

Cold weather work-outs

Started by egates656
Views: 881 Posts: 3

2004-10-13 12:50 AM waterfordhunter

Bike Tire blow outs

Started by ljrooney
Views: 1018 Posts: 5

2004-09-01 7:53 PM domlazz

Upper body work-outs?

Started by GamblerZ
Views: 1530 Posts: 7

2004-02-16 10:08 AM JaWaLav
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : December 15, 2008
author : bigfella3
comments : 12
And then I saw it. I got to "The Hill." It looked a bit innocent really, in reflection - just a little hill, with the road bending around to the left...
date : August 5, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Is your bike seat uncomfortable? Are your parts going numb? This article discusses the important concepts of bicycle seat neuropathy, treatment and prevention.

date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Seated Bicep Curl – Alternating Dumbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 22, 2006
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Seated Crunch-Twist strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Seated Row Machine-Overhand Grip strength exercise instruction with picture and video

date : June 18, 2006
Seated row machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video