General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SPD vs. Road-style pedals? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-23 1:36 PM

Subject: SPD vs. Road-style pedals?
My first pair of bike cleats are SPD style (and apparently meant for mountain bikes): http://www.greggscycles.com/product/shimano-pd-m520-pedals-43689-1....

I'm wondering if I should swap these out for a true road pedal. What difference would I notice swapping these out? I'd have to swap out the shoes, too, since the recessed-cleat shoes I have won't take any other style of cleat.

Thanks!

2015-01-23 1:38 PM
in reply to: runningmon

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: SPD vs. Road-style pedals?

I've used both, I currently use SPD for all my bikes.  I like it because I can use the same shoes for spin class.  I don't think there is a difference.  If you have SPD and the shoes for it I don't think it is necessary to change out shoes and pedals. 

2015-01-23 2:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

SPD is old school; there are many better choices available today. 

Virtually all non-SPD cleats provide larger pedaling platforms that reduce hotspots.  Systems like Look, Look Keo, SPD-SL area easier to get into than SPD.  Speedplay provides double sided access and even easier to get into, especially Speedplay Light Action, although Speedplay cleats can gunk with mud.  SPD-SL and Look Keo can use "walkable" cleats - rubber edged cleats that work better on wet roads and don't require cleat covers like SPD and Speedplay.

I have SPD-SL on my road bike and used it for years.  I switched to Look Keo on my tri bike because Garmin Vector required it. My daughter uses Speedplay Light Action and after just three or four rides was expert in their use. I have a set of mountain bike shoes with SPD cleats I use at spin class. They're ok for that, but I wouldn't use them elsewhere.

Edited by brucemorgan 2015-01-23 2:11 PM
2015-01-23 2:56 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

There's nothing wrong with using SPDs on the road. I've gone all over the map from first generation Looks, to SPDs both on-road and off, to Speedplays, and now back to SPDs throughout my fleet (and it IS a fleet). The "hot spots" issue is largely a case of sensitivity -- I've never had a problem. Wellgo and Ritchey (along with Nashbar house brand) are a (usually) less expensive and completely compatible option to Shimano SPDs, so if adding a pedals for a second bike, that might be worth a look.

2015-01-23 4:00 PM
in reply to: briderdt

This has always been my theory, and I have speedplays on one bike, and eggbeaters/candy's on my other bikes. If I am using the bike strictly as a race bike I will put on the pedals with the largest connection point that feels good to me, the speed plays. If I am using the bike for anything where I will walk more than 50 yards (bike tours and such) I will use pedals where I can have recessed cleats. It has worked great for me. So if you using your bike for more things than just racing or if you only want one pair of shoes to rotate between bikes and spin classes keep what you have. Nothing wrong with it. If you want to maximize contact area or you have issues with hot spots and the bike will always be ridden and never walked with then you can get one of the road specific versions.

2015-01-23 4:33 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I have SPD pedals on my tri bike and Speedplay Zero's on my road bike.  

Both are double sided.  (I have SPD/Platform combo pedals on my mountain bike.)  

Both styles have fairly durable cleats, so I've never gotten covers.  

I like the "float" available with Speedplays.  

2015-01-23 4:34 PM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
Originally posted by briderdt

There's nothing wrong with using SPDs on the road. I've gone all over the map from first generation Looks, to SPDs both on-road and off, to Speedplays, and now back to SPDs throughout my fleet (and it IS a fleet).

This

If you have a stiff carbon shoe you won't notice the small cleat.
2015-01-24 10:25 PM

Thanks all- sounds like I'm upgrading the shoes first.
2015-01-25 9:14 AM

I've done rides up to 1200km using SPDs, and still use them today. FWIW, I've also won AG Oly Tris on a bike w/ SPDs. Use what works best for you , which may not necessarilly be what most other folks are using. It's nice not to have to swap shoes between bikes. MTB/Cyclocross shoes rock for endurance races too (not the focus here, but my $0.02).
2015-01-25 10:43 AM
in reply to: indianhillsted

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by indianhillsted
Originally posted by briderdt

There's nothing wrong with using SPDs on the road. I've gone all over the map from first generation Looks, to SPDs both on-road and off, to Speedplays, and now back to SPDs throughout my fleet (and it IS a fleet).

This If you have a stiff carbon shoe you won't notice the small cleat.

Except when trying to engage the cleat. Also the zero float of SPDs is not compatible with many people's knees.

Anyway I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: there are many better choices than old-school SPDs. Even for mountain bikes. SPDs are cheap and that's about it.

2015-01-25 5:14 PM
in reply to: #5086428

User image

Expert
Leicester
No float in SPD?
There is in all mine, maybe its in the cleat.
Look or time are good for road, but even the 'walking' cleats with rubber tips are not fun to walk in, I am less of a fan of my look pedals than my trusty spd's

2015-01-25 5:20 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I use the 'Look" style cleats on my road bike and eggbeaters on my MTB.  For a long time I used the SPD pedals on both.  At some point, I noticed a 'slick' feel that the metal to metal contact produced with the SPD pedals.  I think this actually may have been during transition of a race wherein I spent several seconds trying to get clicked in.  Since I changed over to the Look style pedal, I like the larger contact spot and it just feels easier to me to click in ... mtcw.

2015-01-25 6:29 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I currently have a set of XT pedals on my bike. I like the fact that they, and the cleats, are bomb proof. When I get closer to racing season I will mount up my Time iCLICs. They are lighter and easier to get into but not as bomb proof as the XT pedals. The hotspot can happen but for me only > 40 miles.
2015-01-29 12:13 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

DC
Originally posted by brucemorgan

SPD is old school; there are many better choices available today. 

Virtually all non-SPD cleats provide larger pedaling platforms that reduce hotspots.  Systems like Look, Look Keo, SPD-SL area easier to get into than SPD.  Speedplay provides double sided access and even easier to get into, especially Speedplay Light Action, although Speedplay cleats can gunk with mud.  SPD-SL and Look Keo can use "walkable" cleats - rubber edged cleats that work better on wet roads and don't require cleat covers like SPD and Speedplay.

I have SPD-SL on my road bike and used it for years.  I switched to Look Keo on my tri bike because Garmin Vector required it. My daughter uses Speedplay Light Action and after just three or four rides was expert in their use. I have a set of mountain bike shoes with SPD cleats I use at spin class. They're ok for that, but I wouldn't use them elsewhere.

I remember hearing/reading (or maybe I'm making it up) that a wider platform allows for better power transfer. Not true?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SPD vs. Road-style pedals? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Road shoes/pedals vs mtn bike shoes/pedals

Started by NCmtnborn76
Views: 1412 Posts: 10

2013-08-23 8:50 AM BikesOfALesserGod

MTB pedal vs. Road Pedal

Started by mwhitely
Views: 4702 Posts: 17

2009-12-29 9:42 PM zr140th

Look vs SPD pedals

Started by victoria.petridou
Views: 11678 Posts: 24

2009-07-20 11:51 AM TriMyBest

ATB Pedals vs. SPD Pedals

Started by PGilger
Views: 2856 Posts: 5

2006-09-04 1:05 PM spokes

New Shimano Ultegra SPD Clipless Road Pedals

Started by norakraemer
Views: 844 Posts: 9

2006-05-15 9:21 AM norakraemer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : February 16, 2011
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?
date : April 19, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 15
Learn what the proper pedaling technique looks like and how to become a more efficient and economical cyclist.

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : September 9, 2008
comments : 0
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?
date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.

date : March 13, 2005
author : infosteward
Using Clipless Pedals Increases Efficiency