General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best leg lengths for a runner and biker? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-24 6:10 PM

User image

Subject: Best leg lengths for a runner and biker?
I had this question in my head for a while: What's the "best" leg setup for a person for a runner and a biker? I seem to remember the optimal runner and biker body profile to be different. I say this because a friend is the same height as me but my knee is about an inch higher but we both wear 32inch pants. He's slower than me but is also married with two kids so it's not apples to apples comparison at all. I guess my question is, is there a natural preference to someone with more legs than upper body and is it better to have longer thighs or calves? Obviously nothing we can do to change who we are but I'm just curious.

2015-01-25 1:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Best leg lengths for a runner and biker?

Originally posted by Blastman I had this question in my head for a while: What's the "best" leg setup for a person for a runner and a biker? I seem to remember the optimal runner and biker body profile to be different. I say this because a friend is the same height as me but my knee is about an inch higher but we both wear 32inch pants. He's slower than me but is also married with two kids so it's not apples to apples comparison at all. I guess my question is, is there a natural preference to someone with more legs than upper body and is it better to have longer thighs or calves? Obviously nothing we can do to change who we are but I'm just curious.

Would be curious to hear if anyone has done a study on it (and it's too much work for me to ask the Google!).  Actually, I'm going to dig around a bit and see.

Of particular interest to me, as I have odd proportions - long torso and short legs (on a not exactly tall body to start).  A flight surgeon once said to me, "So, God cheated you out of your legs... but that's OK, as at least you probably won't break them both when you eject."  (apologies to those who've heard that story before)  

Always wondered, as I've progressed in the different disciplines at different rates (for similar effort, as near as I can tell), if that was part of it. Probably a small part, if at all, but interesting!

Matt

ETA:

Did some looking.  Found relatively few scholarly articles (not many people giving grant money to studies confirming that thin, muscular, long limbed beasts are fast, I guess), but a few links that were at least interesting.  Mostly, there's no clear answer, as there are lots of exceptions to any rule - and apparently more so in triathlon than in many other sports (again, not a surprise given the nature of the event).

Seems most land on a lean, average proportioned person (thick ectomorph or thin mesomorph - take your pick), but lean and "averagely" proportioned (with maybe a nod to long limbs for size) might be in the eye of the beholder still!  There are outliers (interesting thread on ST that referenced Matty Reid - who then commented on it as well... very cool), but he fits that build - just a taller version.  Had hoped to see more about differences within each discipline, but one of the links below at least lays that out.  Nothing about which is most important for tri - more that it's best to be well proportioned for all three rather than perfectly proportioned and purpose built for one (again, not high on the surprisometer).  

One interesting point was a suggestion that in ITU draft legal racing having a "runner's build" was best - more so than in non-drafting. 

LOTS of articles about losing weight and being skinny, but that's not the question (and *I* think that many of those miss the power-to-weight ratio thing and wrongly focus on just getting skinny - not to "Race Weight").

Would love to hear if others have more direct references or studies!

http://www.insidescience.org/content/why-olympic-rowers-and-runners-have-different-physiques/752 

http://triathlon.kiwi/Anthropometric%20Profiles%20of%20Elite%20Triathletes.pdf 

http://www.triathlonmag.com.au/training/36-training/7538-best-body-shape-for-winning-kona 

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2015-01-25 2:16 PM
2015-01-25 3:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Addition:

"Dinosaur build" was recommended for cycling (all legs, no arms). Thought that was funny...

Mostly saw "long femur, high power-to-weight" as "best." Exceptions all over the place, but that fits the TdF generalist - which is what most people associate with cycling (rightly so or not).

Running was thin, thin, and thin. Not very helpful on leg length from what I found (although I was admittedly definitely tri-biased in skimming along through the interweb).

Can you tell that I have some power washing on the honey-do list today?

Matt

ETA: best quote I've seen (or at least tied with, "When the hammer drops, the bull$h1t stops"):  "Thus, individual successful performance is linked to discipline and talent rather than to a specific anthropometric profile."   From this article:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3944541/ 

And to the cycling specific question:  "None of the strength, power, or anthropometric variables correlated significantly with TT laboratory performance."  From this article:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23238091 

Ok, now I've got to move along...

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2015-01-25 4:09 PM
2015-01-25 4:31 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Thanks for research! I looked a little and couldn't really come up with anything and thought I'd ask. But it would make sense that given two people with equal training and equal V02Max, would one be "naturally" faster due to that person having a longer femar or a longer tabia and at what ratio? I'm sure the dinosaur build (awesome name, lol) would benefit a lot since you have less weight up top but that can be controlled via working out or not working out instead of being born that way. So many exceptions to the rule that it would be hard to say for sure. Going to keep looking randomly though.
2015-01-25 11:08 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I honestly don't think it really matters... Old school thought was the taller cyclists can generate more power, but that has been debunked. It was also thought that longer legs should give runners an advantage. Well Rinny is one of the fastest (male or female!) runners and she's not a very tall person, nor does she have very long legs.
2015-01-26 6:55 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Might make some marginal difference for sprints or middle distance, but for the distances usually run in tri (5 km to marathon) many of the world's top pure runners of both genders and various ethnicities are not only seriously skinny but rather short. You will find some top runners in the medium to slightly tall range but rarely larger than that--too much extra weight. Basically, they are incredible cardio systems on very resilient sticks, with a token upper body along for the ride, in most cases.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best leg lengths for a runner and biker? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Good Runner, Very Poor Biker. Please Help

Started by orive002
Views: 1863 Posts: 22

2011-07-17 1:40 PM Quantum

biker looking for swimmer and runner for Pacific Grove Triathlon

Started by johnrsims
Views: 576 Posts: 2

2009-07-13 10:37 AM johnrsims

Wanted: Great Books on How to be a Faster Runner and Biker

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 1194 Posts: 7

2008-06-30 12:17 PM JoshKaptur

Leg Length vs Biking Cadence?

Started by retiretotri
Views: 779 Posts: 1

2007-03-01 8:50 PM retiretotri

Variable Leg Length?

Started by jdc1687
Views: 909 Posts: 7

2005-09-23 10:55 PM jdc1687
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 20, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 0
This is part three of a five part series on how to train for an Iron distance race. In this article I would like to try to offer up some information about how to get through the bike unscathed.

date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
Life and training are a lot easier without hair
date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?

date : September 4, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on leg dragging, swimming with fins, body rotation, keeping the elbow up, kicking benefits and stroke length.