General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New guy from VA Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-25 7:25 PM

Norfolk, Virginia
Subject: New guy from VA
Hey everybody,

I decided to start getting back into shape a few months ago and I have a buddy who is into triathlons. I am a 30YO male and have some sports in my background, but have had several periods of being active and slim and inactive and overweight. I run (just did an 8k and have a 10k coming up) but have no background in competitive cycling or swimming. I don't have a (real) bike yet but I should be fine there once I get one, but despite growing up in the water I never swam laps. I went to the pool to swim for the first two times last week.

There is a local sprint in April that I may sign up for to get my feet wet. I won't be that competitive but the distances are short enough that I should have no trouble finishing it

I'm looking forward to learning more and competing in a tri! The people into this sport seem to be completely nuts (in a good way!) and I want to join them and get into great shape.

2015-01-25 7:58 PM
in reply to: STVA

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: New guy from VA

Hey-grew up in Hampton Virginia but live on the Gulf Coast now.  I was just like you with the swim. Open water swimming (OWS) in races can be a frightening experince regardless of your comfort level in the pool.  Get some instruction early on with your swim and save yourself from having to "fix" things down the road. Also, try to get some practice in OWS before the race. With it being April it might be a pool swim but if it is outdoors you will probably want a wetsuit.....try it out first as swimming in a wetsuit can make you feel restricted and sometimes cause panic.

Keep at it....everything gets easier....and have fun!

2015-01-25 8:45 PM
in reply to: slornow

Norfolk, Virginia
Subject: RE: New guy from VA
Thanks for the message. The swim is indoors in a heated pool so I don't need to tackle OWS yet.

I plan on signing up for classes.

If I can swim the distance of the race, freestyle, without stopping by 60 days before the race then I will sign up for it.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New guy from VA Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Guy in VA with tons of questions

Started by andrw1217
Views: 1580 Posts: 17

2011-06-13 8:44 PM QueenZipp

New guy in VA (35 and 280lbs)

Started by rrshaver
Views: 964 Posts: 9

2009-05-31 8:05 PM RecTri

Hello; New Guy from Staunton VA

Started by verga
Views: 854 Posts: 5

2009-05-05 2:50 PM shenvalleybiker

new guy in Arlington, VA

Started by Kurtie
Views: 867 Posts: 9

2009-04-21 8:00 AM docswim24

New Guy ~ Reston, Va.

Started by DRGraves
Views: 1298 Posts: 8

2006-10-28 6:13 AM drdi
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.